Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I did that with my mavic and crashed because I descended too quickly with the line attached and got tangled. It will be covered under care refresh, everything is-- you could fly into a wall at top speed, it covers all pilot error iy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This will definitely not be covered by DJI care. It’s way outside of the drones intended use.

That being said I’m pretty sure Jonny 290 did something like this to string antenna wire to the top of an antenna.

DJI's first response to my question was that lost drones are not covered, because I made the mistake of using "loss" as in the insurance usage of "loss" and they just keyworded onto it, ignored the rest of the e-mail, and said lost drones are not covered.

I replied with a clarification but haven't heard back yet. If they won't cover it, this is gonna be a flat out "not doing it" since it's not for me and my neighbor certainly wouldn't want to pay $1000 to replace it.

Thanks for the other advice and tips. I'm hoping he can just do it with a slingshot, but it is a pretty tall black walnut. A pole to do this would have to be like 90 feet long and simply isn't practical.

Edit: The tree in question:

Propane tank is a 500 gallon, for scale.

ssb fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 24, 2020

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I have done similar with a slingshot and lead weight in lower trees. With some practice you can be pretty accurate. I was also able to get some paracord into a pretty high tree by attaching a lead weight to it and stuffing it into the barrel of a potato gun in front of the potato. That was also the most fun.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah that scraggle at the top's going to be a PITA.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
When I was learning to fly RC planes, I used a Walmart slingshot, 1oz fishing weight, and some braid fishing line more times than I care to relive to get stuck planes out of tall pine trees. The key for me was to keep the braid on a fishing rod/reel and just open the bail and fire. With the braid just laying on the ground it was impossible to keep it from micro-grabbing onto any blade of grass and consuming all the kinetic energy. I also did that to hang a HAM radio antenna in my backyard too, but the branch was only like 25ft up so I was done faster than it took me to go get the slingshot.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

People who post in the rc thread should be aware that ham is not an acronym

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sagebrush posted:

People who post in the rc thread should be aware that ham is not an acronym

I always read HAM as "Holloman Aero Medical" because they're the people that sent a monkey into space for the USA and HAM was buried behind my high school.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Mavic Mini 2 reviews our out, e.g. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=01y6Rg_1owY
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/review-the-dji-mini-2-is-the-perfect-drone-for-beginners

Glad I bought an already obsolete Air rather than newly obsoleted Mini lol. On the other hand it addresses the reasons I got the Air over the MK1 Mini So ugh.

The only issue I've had is frequent compass calibration, and sometimes the horizon gets significantly tilted. Is this a known issue? I'm not sure if it's a software/calibration thing or a physical one. If I wiggle the gimbal when it's off, it feels like it can rub and even stick on the little rubber mounts on the sides.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Nov 5, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dji recommends recalibrating when you go 30 miles or more from your last flight point but I find even a couple miles will throw the sensors off and I have to recalibrate. I just recalibrate every time unless I’m flying in the same spot I did last time

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Are there any good replacement propellers for the OG DJI Mini?

My biggest issue is that I live in Colorado and I get high altitude messages a lot, limiting my flight to 30m above launch. Do they make any propellers that'll give better lift (I assume at the cost of noise?)

I'm new to dronin' so don't really know trusted brands. Amazon has AxPower. Could I maybe use the Mini2 blades?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am imagining that the altitude limit won’t go away with new props. That’s a software thing and it has no way of knowing what props are installed

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I am imagining that the altitude limit won’t go away with new props. That’s a software thing and it has no way of knowing what props are installed
That’s not how flight controllers or motors work. In thinner air there’s just a point at which a particular motor/propeller can’t make more thrust. You can help it along with faster motors (higher KV rating) and steeper props.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

evil_bunnY posted:

That’s not how flight controllers or motors work. In thinner air there’s just a point at which a particular motor/propeller can’t make more thrust. You can help it along with faster motors (higher KV rating) and steeper props.

That was my thought. Props with more lift.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I doubt the dji mini is measuring amperage and rpm and is instead just saying <current gps altitude> is too high

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I googled it because I was curious why you'd be getting a software "high altitude limit" message, and it looks like that is something that DJI does when you have your drone in Payload Mode. Maybe look into that.

Cause yeah, there's no reason that your drone should just stop flying at a specific altitude when it performs acceptably well just below it. Absolute ceiling is the point at which the maximum amount of lift you generate drops to exactly the weight of the vehicle, so you can no longer climb. If your drone can still take off and climb reasonably well at your elevation, you're nowhere near the ceiling.

evil_bunnY posted:

Faster motors will help, yes. Steeper props won't necessarily; the critical angle of attack is not affected by air density. Propeller aerodynamic theory is a bit much to get into, but in general if the air is thin and your motors are spinning at max RPM without drawing max current, you should add more blades to increase the swept area. Just increasing the camber or the angle of attack will have negative effects on your climb rate and maximum speed.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 5, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There are tons of reports on the FB Mavic Air 2 group that the new firmware is causing in-flight disconnection issues.

Basically the drone will randomly drop the connection and do whatever you have it set to do when it loses connection.

This is a good opportunity to:

1) make sure you have your drone set to RTH when it loses signal. At least one person had it drop the signal over a tree and had their drone set to “land immediately” when the signal was lost

2) wait for the next update. Hopefully they will fix this quickly.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
and i was going to go fly mine tomorrow :negative:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I mean, as long as you have it set to RTH and keep a clear flight path back home, you should be fine.

I have mine set to ascend to 200 feet then return home and the few times I’ve needed to RTH it’s been fine.

Also according to this it may have been stealth fixed? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1872922312982687/permalink/2809388079336101/

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 9, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dji released firmware 02.00.1101 today that seems to fix the disconnecting issue

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Anyone buy from droneelite.ca ? They have a hexacopter frame kit I can't find anything wrong with. Are they a scam?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

DreadLlama posted:

Anyone buy from droneelite.ca ? They have a hexacopter frame kit I can't find anything wrong with. Are they a scam?

Maybe not a scam, but it seems overpriced and outdated, especially the radio system. Is this for the seed spreading project? I'm not sure how much the hexacopter factors into the total price, but you could substitute the following to potentially save a little money and have better equipment that is still relevant today:

• RadioKing TX18S - $116
  • ToolkitRC M4Q 4-Channel Smart Charger - $70
  • TBS Crossfire Micro TX V2 Starter Set - $120

I'm not well-versed on large, heavy lifting platforms, so I can't really provide advice on the hexacopter itself, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are much newer, better motors, flight controllers, and ESCs that cost the same or less. Tarot X6 frames seem to be expensive no matter what, though.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Yes it's for the seed spreading. I got to thinking of my swamp and how people keep getting stuck in bogs. https://thepostmillennial.com/14-year-old-ontario-girl-dies-after-horse-gets-stuck-in-marshy-bog-outside-hamilton I don't know how my physical fitness compares to that of a 14 year old girl, especially one who horseback rides, but getting stuck and dying in bogs is a thing that really happens in 2020. I'd rather have a silver maple mangrove. But as I've previously indicated, I'd rather err on the side of precision when it comes to distribution, lest someone get mad at me for ruining their basement and/or sidewalk. People are always getting into fights over silver maples. https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=a4b24e51-b52a-4761-954d-934df9fdec2a

quote:

In this case, the plaintiff homeowners brought a nuisance claim against the City of Ottawa for damage to their home’s foundation, which was allegedly caused by the roots of an encroaching silver maple tree. The plaintiffs sought an injunction requiring the City to remove its tree.

The Court held that the numerous defences put forth by the City were unavailable and that the tree constituted a nuisance.

Is there a particular website in you got those prices from? I keep finding tarot frames but I'm googling for folding prop hexacopters.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

Well, the frame is decent and so are hobbywing ESC's...
Radiolink is cheap, but will probably do the job and what looks to be a clone B6AC charger, which frankly, is redundant.

Can you fly the profile you want to fly, line of sight? Also bear in mind, you're essentially making an airborne lawnmover. Is this in a populated area?
And since you seem to be in Canada, you'll also need a basic RPAS licence AND need to be in class F or G airspace to fly this.

Alternatively, hire a helicopter company and have them fly you over the property while you seed. It'll cost you less than that kit and be done in 30-40 mins.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Define "populated." There is a road nearby. A car goes by at least once every two hours or so. There's a rabbit I have to yell at to get out of my way sometimes.

A helicopter company would be useful for one visit. But if it's legal for me to use a drone for inspecting maple sap line... How do fpv laws work in Canada? Are you LOS if you are near your drone but wearing goggles? Is this legal in Canada?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8hGgLLckp0

Did you know there's a multi-spectral image sensor aimed for agricultural customers called the parrot sequoia? There's enough of a market for people wanting to look at plants that they make a sensor for it. Are Canadians excluded from using such things? I mean, is one technically line of sight at altitude? How does that work? Can Canadians fly fpv?

edit: grammar

Double edit: Please do not tease me with phrases like "flying lawnmowers." Do you know about giant hogweed? I would love a flying lawnmower.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 14, 2020

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Well, it could be simple or it could be complicated. Just saying that you're about to jump into a big rabbit hole.
I'm not a multirotor guy. I operate fixed wing and single rotor (Helis)

The Parrot Sequoia uses modified infrared camera. They're available in various formats and you can even DIY it, if you're adventurous.
I have one of these:
https://www.mapir.camera/collections/survey3/products/survey3n-camera-orange-cyan-nir-ocn-ndvi

Sounds like you're pretty remote. But you're still limited to line of sight.(Legally). You cannot fly FPV without a spotter and you're limited to 120meters AGL.
To use any RPAS BVLOS in Canada, you'll need a SFOC and you wont get that without a manufacturer certified RPAS and a Advanced licence...and a good reason to do so.
I believe the Sequoia is manufacturer certified, so there's that :)

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
So that means if I climb a tree I can legally fly further, because I can see farther?

edit: No matter how I slice it the jump is large. You seem know about helicopters. What's the smallest align T-rex you could put 2kg under? Is it the 450? http://shop.align.com.tw/product_info.php?products_id=6476

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 15, 2020

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

2kgs, no less than a 600.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
What is the smallest Align-T rex that has the same flight characteristics of a 600 that could also carry a pixhawk flight controller? Say I wanted start off by building one of their kits. But not one of those co-axial ones with the weirdly mounted tail rotors that can't fly sideways.
edit: these things:

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 15, 2020

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Probably this?
http://www.align.com.tw/helicopter-en/trex600e/

A much better quality option (which I've based my electric heli on) is this:
https://www.thehelihangar.ca/collections/soxos/products/heli-professional-soxos-600-kit

But honestly, unless you have experience with pixhawks or RC helicopters, this is a hard route to take.
Build a medium quad rotor rotor first, make all the mistake that people make and it wont break the bank and is unlikely to kill you.
Trying to jump straight into making a utlity AG drone is very hard.

A 900 size hexacopter or 600+ single rotor can easily kill you if you screw up.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
So you couldn't build a 350 and expect it to feel at all the same as 600?

edit: on the subject of building medium sized quads: Is there an easy way to tell the difference between a faulty telemetry radio, a disconnected telemetry radio, and a telemetry radio incompatible with your ardupilot? Mine just says "no signal" on the monitor, which means it's at least seeing the fpv vtx. But I'm not getting data from the FC, even though I can via usb. I have something that used to be a Cheerson CX-20 but now has an ardupilot 2.4 or 2.6. I kind of gave up on it and then the laws got more restrictive in 2019. The old FC did some wonky thing where it would jank really hard in one direction when I switched to gps mode. Having the gps mode on when it took off meant it would try to take off horizontally. I still have that thing. Would you suggest I take another crack at it?

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 15, 2020

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Oh sorry, misunderstood.

No, you can learn how a RC heli works with a 350, etc. You can stick a pixhawk on a 180 even.
Of course I can't find the link right now, but here's a 300
https://discuss.ardupilot.org/t/just-sharing-my-blade-300-electric-heli-setup-using-kakute-f7-mini-v2/64047

Ardupilot 2.4 or 2.6 is ...well, at least 4 years old. Get the latest arducopter version on it, set it from scratch. There's no easy way of troubleshooting telemetry radios. There's some complicated ways, but I've never had and would rather just use a different set of radios.
If you're getting no signal on the monitor, then you probably aren't seeing the VTX.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Oh, no. The monitor displays the camera output and there's white text on the screen that says, "No Signal"

I figured I would be better off starting with a 32-bit system from the get go - no more cobbling together parts that are years apart in manufacture date. Just buy all the gear from one vendor so I know it all works together. I mean, I feel a bit stupid because one of the reasons I got rid of the FC that came on the CX-20 was because I wanted to put an optical flow sensor on it. Then DJI puts two of them on the mavic mini. I'd love one of their agridrones but I can't afford one. DIY is as much a matter of economy as it is proving I can build something if the parts are all compatible.

Do you think a 180 could handle a gimbal and camera in addition to a pixhawk? I am thinking that I should build a small helicopter and then build a large helicopter if I have enough fingers remaining to do so.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The optical flow sensor on the DJI's are far superior to anything you can get for Ardupilot. They're mostly a novelty when it comes to ardupilot, although there has been some improvement in sense and avoid over the last year.

DJI has also totally killed the stand-alone gimbal market. If you want a gimbal drone, by a DJI.
You'll need minimum a 450 to carry a gimbal and a small camera.
I spent ages trying to do a DIY for my first heli (A 450) and it sorta worked. A 180 can just about carry a tiny analog camera and a VTX...and get you maybe 5 minutes flying time.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

A 180 is a good platform to learn to fly RC helicopters on.
'Cheap' enough to repair (You will crash it..many times), big enough that most of the skills will translate.
This is supposed to be really good:
https://www.buddyrc.com/products/omp-hobby-m2-rc-helicopter-v2-version-omphobby-m2-v2-preorder?variant=33002410737750
I've been tempted to get one.

Learn to fly LOS, being able to hover, fly circuits, etc. If you really want to build a heli-drone, you really need to be able to fly one without the FC bailing you out, because you will make mistakes a long the way and will need that skill. You can then probably jump straight to a 6-700, get it flying (with the FC), learn to turn it, run auto-missions, etc and then you can start playing with equipment and payloads.
Optical flow, LIDARS, etc are mostly useless for your purpose. If you are flying over trees, they will give false readings.
You'll have a bunch of issues with video equipment, although longer range digital video is coming along, but it's still not simple, nor cheap.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I flew a WLtoys v912 for a while. It taught me that I am a bad pilot who would benefit from assistance. When I got it tuned to stop rotating on hover, it would rotate when it ascended. It landed in many trees from going sideways when I distinctly remember telling it to go up. Is it not possible to get something that performs more according to input than physics?

Edit: Holy poo poo that thing has a brushless motor directly driving the main rotor. I thought that was a pipe dream.

double edit: One thing that dji has not solved is putting a binocular fpv system on a drone. I think. Can you get this thing on a a DJI: https://www.robotshop.com/ca/en/blackbird-2-3d-fpv-camera.html ?

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 15, 2020

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

DreadLlama posted:

I flew a WLtoys v912 for a while. It taught me that I am a bad pilot who would benefit from assistance. When I got it tuned to stop rotating on hover, it would rotate when it ascended. It landed in many trees from going sideways when I distinctly remember telling it to go up. Is it not possible to get something that performs more according to input than physics?

Edit: Holy poo poo that thing has a brushless motor directly driving the main rotor. I thought that was a pipe dream.

double edit: One thing that dji has not solved is putting a binocular fpv system on a drone. I think. Can you get this thing on a a DJI: https://www.robotshop.com/ca/en/blackbird-2-3d-fpv-camera.html ?

Welcome to helicopters. Each control input cannot be separated from the others. To go up, you increase RPM or rotor pitch, which causes the body to torque in the opposite direction, which needs to be countered by speeding up/slowing down the tail rotor to maintain orientation, which causes...

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I don't understand why a computer with edit: accelerometers that update several times per second isn't the default.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Nov 15, 2020

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DreadLlama posted:

That's what a flight controller does.
Hand-hovering a rotary is hilariously hard because nothing is self-compensating.

DreadLlama posted:

I don't understand why a computer with edit: accelerometers that update several times per second isn't the default.
That costs money and also gently caress you.

RC brands exist on a continuum of open vs integrated, and it's infuriating. There's literally no standards.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Nov 15, 2020

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Can I put a full sized pixhawk on this?

https://www.thehelihangar.ca/collections/oxy-kits/products/oxy2-190-sport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

No