Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Tea Bone posted:

"Stath Lets Flats" has been confirmed for a third series which is a welcome surprise considering I had assumed it dead.
It might not be everyone's cup of tea but if you can get along with the sense of humour it's one of the funniest shows out there. Everyone should definitely check it out.

That's great news. I loved Stath Lets Flats. Was pleasantly surprised to see the guy who plays Al show up on an episode of Ghosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I never heard of it, go on share.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8GMVFbNKBM

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'll give it a watch, seems ok.

Also, did they do a more over the top comedy based on Estate Agents in the early noughties? or was that a fever dream?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My mistake with Stath Lets was watching the first 5 minutes isolated which were just brilliant, then the rest of the episode couldn’t live up to it. I need to watch more though as it did seem fun, and Natasia is just great in everything.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Like a lot of shows it takes a bit to find its feet but I binged them all a few months ago and they're really great.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Aphex- posted:

Like a lot of shows it takes a bit to find its feet but I binged them all a few months ago and they're really great.

Yeah, I was similar to EL BROMANCE, I loved the cold open of the first episode but found it a little shaky after that. I thought it was good enough to persist with though. By the end of the 3rd episode, I was convinced it's the funniest show I've ever watched.

It doesn't help that the humour in it is odd at best and it doesn't ease you in gently. I once described it to a friend as an anti-joke in sitcom form. It builds up your expectations of where a joke is coming from but then goes completely left field in the most mundane way possible.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Stath Lets Flats is great but, yeah, it's a pretty acquired taste, I can totally understand why someone wouldn't find it funny at all. I'm glad it's getting another season anyway.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Well in that clip the gag of constantly failing to answer the phone in time had me in stitches so it’ll probably work for me. Will check it out

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The most recent Taskmaster was lunacy.

R to the J
Sep 2, 2004

The biggest e-penis of them all!
I've started watching Taskmaster because of this thread. Not in any particular order - just happened to watch Champion of Champions the other night. Katherine Ryan's "make the biggest mess" had me howling.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

DrVenkman posted:

The most recent Taskmaster was lunacy.

Johnny Vegas thrusting that dinghy along was something special

Also, Katherine Parkinson's husband is Ray Purchase from Toast of London and I don't think his nose is quite THAT big

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ray bloody Purchase.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

There feels like theres a certain manic energy to all the studio stuff. I'm not sure they're coping with lockdown very well.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nearly every season of Taskmaster before has had at least one dud contestant who just didn't really get it or was generally boring to watch (Baddiel) and at least one who's absolutely fantastic to make up for it (Gamble). This season has done really well with its lineup though, so far it's the most consistently good it's been in ages.

The studio stuff has been great too. I think it's almost better that they're just trying to make eachother laugh rather than playing to an audience.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The one thing about the studio this season is it seems like Greg is the one making them laugh. The contestants don't seem to be engaging as much, with each other, or even with Greg.

And holy poo poo they are terrible at the prize task. Mawaan's bunny was good though.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 24, 2020

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The one thing about the studio this season is it seems like a Greg is the one making them laugh. The contestants don't seem to be engaging as much, with each other, or even with Greg.

And holy poo poo they are terrible at the prize task. Mawaan's bunny was good though.

I can understand how its more subdued due to the Covid, and there definitely no chemistry between them so far, Greg has to poke and prod them to get them to say anything.

Need to watch them again to confirm but it seems like Mawaan doesn't say anything unless to Greg, Herring just laughs, and Katherine takes it like a serious work performance review.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 24, 2020

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
"Richards demeanour is that of someone on bargain hunt who has been dragged along by a wife who hates him".
Magical.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Prize task is a fave of mine and I haven’t decided if it’s great or awful that they’re this bad. For some reason I don’t feel the same way about the final task usually, altho I like that there’s a real element of surprise for the winner as they can’t just pick pretaped tasks to force that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I feel like they used to make more effort with the prize tasks. Like the wedding ring, the blank cheque etc. Now they all seem very last minute, or like they're trying to be funny-bad rather than get points.

I miss the "get Greg a present" task too. The long term tasks were great when they really made the effort, like the tattoo.

stev fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 24, 2020

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

stev posted:

I feel like they used to make more effort with the prize tasks. Like the wedding ring, the blank cheque etc. Now they all seem very last minute, or like they're trying to be funny-bad rather than get points.

I miss the "get Greg a present" task too. The long term tasks were great when they really made the effort, like the tattoo.

Josh was just the best overall.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

stev posted:

See, while I liked get Greg a present, I could see that it was wearing out its welcome. Could there really be 50 interesting gifts for the taskmaster? They do still run "you have 20 weeks" tasks from time to time, and I think that even if the tasks aren't quite as compelling, the variety makes up for it.

Having said that, this is perhaps something they could take a few pointers from the Danish version of Taskmaster. For instance, they borrowed the "Put the most surprising thing in a chocolate egg" task (90% of the tasks are derived from the UK version), but they gave the contestants until the live show to do it. Another good one was "Make the best headline" - although it was disappointing that only one panellist genuinely got into a published newspaper to complete it. Or the task "Name this baby, you have 8 weeks", where the idea was to make the case for your chosen name on the live show.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

stev posted:

Long term ones at least only seem to be one a season so there's still time for that to happen this time!

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Nothing will top Rhod Gilbert's prizes for the prize task.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I hope they've given Richard the "bullshit task that only one contestant is doing" task this season. He's wanted to be on it for so long and is trying so hard I think it would really break him.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

DaWolfey posted:

"Richards demeanour is that of someone on bargain hunt who has been dragged along by a wife who hates him".
Magical.

I absolutely lost it at that, it's just so perfect.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Josh was just the best overall.

And also probably why they stopped it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The prize task hit it's nadir back around S7 when about half the entries ended up being photos of an object instead of it's object itself.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

What's the best series to start on for someone who's never seen Taskmaster? I keep hearing people saying how good it is but I know nothing about it except the basic premise.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

What's the best series to start on for someone who's never seen Taskmaster? I keep hearing people saying how good it is but I know nothing about it except the basic premise.

Honestly, start at the start. There's not that much of it and it's never so bad it'll put you off the show, I don't reckon. I'm very fond of seasons 3 and 4.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The first series is really good so just dive into that.

Personally I think series 1, 2, 5 and 7 are the best but YMMV and none are outright bad. As long as you watch one of them from start to finish you'll get a decent experience.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I'd say S6 is the weakest so don't start there.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Sound, cheers folks. I'll just give season 1 a bash and see how I like it.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I don't think there's any real carry over from season to season (except for Champion of Champions) so order could just be best to worst if you wanted?)

So : 7,2,5,4,1,9,3,8,6 (although 8 has some of my favorite tasks I think the cast isn't great.)

And honestly all of them besides 3, 8, and 6 are all pretty equally great.

Edit: Oh poo poo, I forgot 8 had Ian Stirling who might be the best worst contestant in the entire show. So 8 is also great.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 24, 2020

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The bizarre psychosexual nightmare of Greg and Alex is the only carryover from season to season.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't think there's any real carry over from season to season (except for Champion of Champions) so order could just be best to worst if you wanted?)

So : 7,2,5,4,1,9,3,8,6 (although 8 has some of my favorite tasks I think the cast isn't great.)

And honestly all of them besides 3, 8, and 6 are all pretty equally great.

Edit: Oh poo poo, I forgot 8 had Ian Stirling who might be the best worst contestant in the entire show. So 8 is also great.

Lou Sanders was unfairly hated. She's got a very specific sort of humour though and if you don't like it it's incredibly overpowering.

I agree 6 is the worst. I like Alice Levine but she didn't really suit the format and the rest were just rubbish. 3 was great mostly because of Al Murray and Sara Pascoe.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

HopperUK posted:

The bizarre psychosexual nightmare of Greg and Alex is the only carryover from season to season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WIqWi2qRMQ

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Whichever one had Dave Gorman on was the worst because it was just so flat.
All the others have had something good in them even if they're not amazing. The most recent Dave series (Baddiel/Brand) was flat in the same way as the Gorman series but it's not quite as bad.

In other news the new Family Fortunes is quite a fun watch. If nothing else it's weird to see the social distancing stuff going on. I feel like they've specifically brought in families with a load of good looking people and also at least one ultradumb person which is interesting, I guess

Taear fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 26, 2020

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Start at the beginning so you can see Greg and Alex's demented master/slave relationship develop organically over the first couple series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Question for the more technical goons : why do I still have to switch to SD BBC when the local news is on? HD has been around now for like 15 years right? They must be able to adapt by now!