Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I had to bail out of the prequel thread. Too much to deal with. Good luck with that other mods.

edit: lovely page snipe, here's a sexy xenomorph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

reignofevil posted:

A new thread title and perhaps consolidating some of the information in the stickied threads is something I've been meaning to propose. I'd like it of our stickies were more a showcase for user content and regularly changed.

Feel free, I trust you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sally posted:

(sequeldome dont bother showing up)

i don't think sequeldome even bothered trying

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
sequeldome was spread over several threads and SMG showed up to poo poo up one of the bigger ones so people wandered off

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I am a firm believer in sci fi wi fi's competing threads hypothesis. When a sequeldome is born, strong enough to withstand the feverish heat of the world of online criticism, it shall emerge from its egg and greet that world anew.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Also some kinda resolution to the avatar-avatar thread is on my to do list, lots on my list!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I like to think I have an honorary avatar avatar

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I like to think I have an honorary avatar avatar

I don't remember the part of Avatar that was everyone in the theater screaming non stop as they were eaten alive in 3d

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Barudak posted:

I don't remember the part of Avatar that was everyone in the theater screaming non stop as they were eaten alive in 3d

And this just makes me wonder why the gently caress that hasn't happened

Get James Cameron to license the Subnautica movie, I'm sure he'd love the game

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

this is a very versatile image for use elsewhere on the internet

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I think one of the biggest reasons why the original Star Wars Trilogy, Rogue One, and the Mandalorian worked so well while the Prequel Trilogy, the Sequel Trilogy, and Solo struggled is expectations and how they (expectations) were handled.

With the OT, Rogue One, and the Mandalorian people really didn’t have high expectations as to what would happen in them. They went in hoping for a good movie/series, but they didn’t have strong preconceived notions of how those stories would go or how the characters in them had to act. For the OT, everything was still new and nobody knew how the trilogy would end, so the teams making them didn’t have to play to audience expectations. They were free to create the story they wanted and tell it in the way that felt best to them.

With Rogue One, it was the first Star Wars film outside of the main series, which meant that the teams were free to create a story that fit into the canon, but could be a self-contained piece of art unto itself. It didn’t have to be a massive space opera, so it could be a war film in ways that the Skywalker Saga couldn’t. It could be dark and gritty, with just a sliver of hope, and it would work because it didn’t have to advance the story of the Skywalkers.

The Mandalorian had a similar freedom, since most people knew very little about Mandalorians going into the series. They knew Boba Fett, Jango Fett, and the clones, but not much else, which gave ample room for the creators to tell unique stories free of expectations. It also had the ability to explore the characters in a much deeper manner due to the longer format of television. They couldn’t have gotten away with a character-driven space western if they had based it on Boba Fett and placed it between Empire and RotJ.

Because of the low expectations placed on the OT, Rogue One, and the Mandalorian had, they had the freedom to be incredible in ways that are hard to duplicate while also handling high expectations. In contrast, the Prequels, Sequels, and Solo all had high expectations to live up to and they all failed to meet them in very different ways. They also told poorer stories because of how they dealt with the expectations along the way.

For the Prequels, George Lucas smugly assumed that because he had created the OT he would be able to recreate that success on his own. He made the films that he wanted to make without any real regard for the expectations fans had for it and it shows. Because Lucas wanted to be the auteur of the series and do everything himself, he wasn’t open to constructive criticism and forged ahead with his mediocre writing and directing capabilities. This led to a trilogy that was decent, but didn’t have the same gravitas it could have had Lucas been open to changes that could better mitigate the expectations placed upon it.

On the other hand, there was the Sequel Trilogy which had an incredible amount of expectation. Unlike the Prequels, where George did whatever the hell he wanted, the Sequels were tightly controlled and relied heavily on what the executives thought the audience wanted to see. Unfortunately for those execs, “What Happens After the Rebellion” had been one of the largest topics in the Extended Universe prior to Disney’s acquisition. Because of this, most die-hard fans had strong opinions on what a sequel trilogy should be and rather than rework the previously accepted canon of the EU, Disney revoked the EU’s canon status and opted for a wholly original idea. And that’s where they went wrong.

The Force Awakens was a decent opener that relied pretty heavily on homage to the OT, but it had enough of its own story that it could work - if the rest of the series paid it off. It played into some expectations, but also defied others. Which is exactly what the Last Jedi and the Rise of the Skywalker failed to do. Where JJ Abrams paid homage to the past, Rian Johnson took one look at what had been done and said “gently caress that.” Johnson gave us a film that was stylistically incredible, but deviated so far from what was expected that it ultimately does not feel like it fits into the series it’s supposed to be in. Disney allowed this because they thought that subverting expectations in a huge way would play well with audiences. They didn’t anticipate how strong opinions on Rey’s parentage or Finn’s importance were or how audiences would turn on them for not providing a satisfying narrative.

Because of the turn that TLJ took, the Rise of Skywalker was settled with the weight of paying off the narrative of the entire saga, which Disney flubbed because they tried to make everyone happy rather than tell a good story. The Rise of Skywalker ended up undermining much of what TLJ did by, essentially, making it the second and third film of the trilogy in one. Much of what happened in TRoS should’ve been in TLJ and that led to a movie that was both too big and not enough, since it had to compromise a lot of what it should have been in order to retcon TLJ. If the entire trilogy had had its major plot points laid out first and directors/writers had been given freedom to hit those plot points how they wanted, we likely would’ve had a stronger, more cohesive trilogy. But because Disney caters to what tests well rather than what tells a good story, they ended up with a disjointed trilogy that didn’t know what story it was telling, but looked really cool while doing it.

And Solo? Just never should’ve been made. We didn’t need Han’s origin story or to see the Kessel Run because the OT already told us both of those stories. The OT *is* Han’s origin story and the Kessel Run is more fun as a throwaway line in Han’s brag about the Falcon. Han Solo is one of the most beloved characters of the past 100 years and it was nearly impossible for them to tell his origin and make it good. It would’ve been better for them to make a Lando Calrissian movie where Han Solo has a small part. Like, maybe he’s only in the film for the scene where Lando loses the Falcon. But Lando would have worked for an origin film for the same reason the Mandalorian worked: we knew some, but not much, which meant we could go into the film without high expectations of what it should be.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Scare quotes around "wholly original" in describing the sequels please.

Otherwise yeah that all seems fair.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

a.lo posted:

With Rogue One, it was the first Star Wars film outside of the main series

It was the fifth.

I don't think you're wrong that managing expectations was a big factor of how the movies were received, but I think what's most obvious about how the Sequel Trilogy failed was the sheer lack of substance. The executives decided that there should be new movies and mandated a lot of things about the new series, but they didn't really know what kind of story they wanted. JJ Abrams is a guy notorious for not having any long-term plans, so he made a "safe" movie setting up a couple questions and largely retreading a lot of the old movies. Rian Johnson had some crazy new ideas that probably sounded like they would counter complaints of a lack of originality, but they also dropped him and all of his ideas at the first sign of trouble (and may have prevented a lot of his ideas from blooming the way they were originally planned?).

And then after nobody planned a story, no satisfying story was told. Who woulda thunk.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

It was the fifth.

You can't really blame someone for not knowing about the ewok movies or purposefully forgetting the holiday special existing.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
there were not low expectations placed on empire strikes back or return of the jedi

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
also it skips over clone wars as another theatrical franchise-extension side story, arguably the template for R1 and solo in that it fails in a part of the story deliberately left vague

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
come to think of it, the prequels are the original unnecessary backstory fill-in movies

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Still lol that the best thing Disney did with Star Wars is also the very first thing: Phineas and Ferb: Star Wars. Which also predicted a ton of stuff they did with the sequels.

Also, Clone Wars as I've said is a result of Attack of the Clones, whatever you think of it, being the perfect setup for a shitton of EU stuff, it being the explosive opening shots of a massive galactic war and all. It's no wonder they had so much fun with it. Mind you, the pilot that got jumped up into a theatrical release is iirc considered the weakest part of the show. (also the first Clone Wars animated shorts are still the best and criminally displaced by it)

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 25, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Clone Wars movie was an okay series premiere, but it was a weird choice to give it a theatrical release. Like I love Samurai Jack and Avatar, but if you put their original 3-part series premieres in theaters, and that's not going to be what moviegoers are expecting even without the franchise power giving them wildly amped-up expectations.

Cease to Hope posted:

come to think of it, the prequels are the original unnecessary backstory fill-in movies

I don't think they were ever marketed as that though. They weren't really presented as filling in gaps, it was a story that just took place before the original story as more of the franchise. Episode 1 was as far as you can get from filling in backstories to the original trilogy.

The original unnecessary backstory fill-in is the Silmarillion.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think they were ever marketed as that though.

:shrug:

They're basically this explanation spun out into an entire trilogy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_rUhCMA_Ek

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Oct 25, 2020

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

But as has been discussed extensively in the prequeldome, they don't so much expand on that scene as they completely recontextualise it; very little is played straight.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
oh man that just reminds me of the best prequeldome post ever

reignofevil posted:

The advanced level pro-prequel position is to pivot to the overall arc of class consciousness being introduced to the narrative via the guy carrying the princesses luggage.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Hold up

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
arguing about movies in any sort of enclosure, be it expressed via dome, sphere, cube, or even the stately tetrahedron

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure-tetrahedron decree

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

oh man that just reminds me of the best prequeldome post ever

We've all become like family down in th' dome but I do think back on that post from time to time and I smile. Posting can be fun!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I contend the best dome post was this.

zoux posted:

Memes and contrarians trying to earn their platinum movie analysis challenge trophies have tried to rehab these absolutely terrible films but let us recall that in fact, they are bad. Let us then also list all the bad decisions made in the PT, I'll go first.

Number One: Starting with Anakin as a child instead of an adult
Number Two: Every casting decision aside from Ewan

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The best post in prequeldome was all of mine.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

CainFortea posted:

I contend the best dome post was this.

A post effortlessly defeated with the first reply

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
hmm... i see. it IS a good point. please let me respond. i think you'll fond my argumebt compelling:

they are bad

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Zoran posted:

A post effortlessly defeated with the first reply

Yes, there was no effort in that first reply.

Defeated tho? Okay Stretch Armstrong.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Star Chat Dome: An idea too hot for television. Too dangerous for radio! Only the internet can contain an idea this spicy!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1207988802225991681?s=19

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

"sifey wifey"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Sifey wifey-dias

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Some Goon posted:

Sifey wifey-dias

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
"Your goon army is ready, master jedi."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Keep down your sci-fi there's nothing to wi-fi

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Days late, and not sci-fi related, but:

Roth, why would you do this to yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

QCS... the final frontier...