Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Well gently caress me, thanks folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FakePoet posted:

Who are some performers with the widest gap between great character/gimmick and not great/terrible worker? Whatever metric you feel like using for any of it.

Like, was Honky Tonk Man a good worker, or just a good character? (Or neither).

Ultimate Warrior.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Who has been removed from the NJPW parade of champions?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

Ultimate Warrior.

Hogan and Warrior both fall under "Grade A gimmick, grade D worker, grade F human being"

Bill Goldberg might be the most noteworthy case of Grade A gimmick/charisma/presence, Grade F- actual in-ring ability. Sure, he had three impressive-looking moves, but was absolute garbage when asked to do anything beyond that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

FakePoet posted:

Who are some performers with the widest gap between great character/gimmick and not great/terrible worker? Whatever metric you feel like using for any of it.
Junk Yard Dog. Billy Graham. Undertaker.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 24, 2020

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rujasu posted:

Hogan and Warrior both fall under "Grade A gimmick, grade D worker, grade F human being"

Bill Goldberg might be the most noteworthy case of Grade A gimmick/charisma/presence, Grade F- actual in-ring ability. Sure, he had three impressive-looking moves, but was absolute garbage when asked to do anything beyond that.

This isn't true at all. Goldberg could do some very fun grappling and throws and had some great power matches. Better wrestler than Warrior.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

FakePoet posted:

Undertaker was generally garbage in the ring until '96, but he played the gimmick perfectly from the beginning.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

MassRafTer posted:

This isn't true at all. Goldberg could do some very fun grappling and throws and had some great power matches. Better wrestler than Warrior.

All the rad submissions they had him rolling into early on... Hell, the snap on his moves alone was another level.

Goldberg had the potential to be an all time great. He weren't no Renegade or Elias

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

rujasu posted:

Don't wanna be all "look at Hogan in Japan", but the man could work on a passable level if he so chose to. Warrior, on the other hand, was the drizzling shits throughout his entire career, so I'd say he still takes it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Hogan fundamentally understood how to wrestle, he just also understood all it took to get himself over.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, Hogan is probably the ur-case of a guy recognizing the exact bare minimum he had to do in the ring to stay over and then doing just that.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

still came up with a finisher that destroyed his hip and rear end in a top hat. i wonder why he never just tried to transition to using the axe bomber as his main finisher stateside

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

JOHN CENA posted:

still came up with a finisher that destroyed his hip and rear end in a top hat. i wonder why he never just tried to transition to using the axe bomber as his main finisher stateside

Years of steroid abuse destroyed his body not the leg drop.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Years of steroid abuse destroyed his body not the leg drop.

yeah absolutely but the dropping onto his butthole every night on hard as rock boxing rings probably didnt help!

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
roddy piper has gotta be in the running for "worst worker with the best character" what did the guy do, punch, kick, figure four, eyepoke? thats not to say roddy piper is a bad pro wrestler just like, if we're talking "what they are capable of in the ring" he flies under the radar as pretty fuckin terrible.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

shiksa posted:

roddy piper has gotta be in the running for "worst worker with the best character" what did the guy do, punch, kick, figure four, eyepoke? thats not to say roddy piper is a bad pro wrestler just like, if we're talking "what they are capable of in the ring" he flies under the radar as pretty fuckin terrible.

I feel like Piper mastered the WWF Attitude era style of working 12 years early.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Having a limited and unflashy moveset doesn't necessarily make you a bad worker though. Ishii is arguably the best worker in the world today and the flashiest move he uses is a freaking enzuigiri.

In the case of Piper he had a great sense of timing and selling so he got a lot of mileage out of doing basic stuff.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Cerebral Bore posted:

Having a limited and unflashy moveset doesn't necessarily make you a bad worker though. Ishii is arguably the best worker in the world today and the flashiest move he uses is a freaking enzuigiri.

In the case of Piper he had a great sense of timing and selling so he got a lot of mileage out of doing basic stuff.

thats totally fair. and yeah, ishii has about 5 moves and is one of the best there is.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

rujasu posted:

Goldberg was still pretty green in his initial push, and his matches almost all being squashes didn't help him learn, but I think he rose above that eventually. And it's worth noting how he could make those squashes entertaining, like he wasn't selling much but his offense looked great whoever he was against.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it ruled when goldberg would pull out a flip or some kind of disgusting looking kick in the late 90s

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

ChrisBTY posted:

Didn't Shoemaker do that piece on Cody after he left WWE but before AEW was a thing? The article that taught us, among other things, that HHH has no interest in the concept of meritocracy. ('We all have a role to play')
No, that was Mike Piellucci: https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/6/17072332/cody-rhodes-dusty-rhodes-all-in

Great article. Shoemaker may very well have edited it, though.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It really was. I learned a lot. Mostly 'holy poo poo HHH will not even feign belief in a meritocracy'. HHH buried Matt Cardona and threw the brass ring in the fires of Mount Doom.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Goldberg vs DDP is a legitimate banger. Although this is probably more down to DDP choreographing the whole thing and going over it multiple times with Goldberg.

But it does show that he can be 'good in ring' when he wants to be. I put quotations around good in ring, because I think Goldberg coming in, yelling, spear, jackhammer end is pretty cool and entertaining.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

I have seen him break out a goddamn Steiner Screwdriver, though it’s also possible Tanahashi just was a maniac for asking for it.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
Kind of puts another question in my head: who was the first big "workrate" wrestler? I imagine there was probably someone ages past who wowed people relative to the era (hell, I seem to recall seeing grainy footage of some pretty impressive stuff, time period or no), but was there a specific moment where that became a big point of judgement?

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

FakePoet posted:

Kind of puts another question in my head: who was the first big "workrate" wrestler? I imagine there was probably someone ages past who wowed people relative to the era (hell, I seem to recall seeing grainy footage of some pretty impressive stuff, time period or no), but was there a specific moment where that became a big point of judgement?

I'd have to think Ric Flair would be one of the first as we know it, someone the magazines and inside fans all thought was the best in the world, before his day though I have no idea, I feel like the concept of it being a work wasn't widely accepted enough for it to be critiqued in that way before Flair's first era.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

FakePoet posted:

Maybe Carpentier? He came over and really wowed people and the descriptions of him make it seem like he really did more impressive stuff than the top guys of that era, but was still respected.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MassRafTer posted:

Maybe Carpentier? He came over and really wowed people and the descriptions of him make it seem like he really did more impressive stuff than the top guys of that era, but was still respected.
It probably helped that he could kick all of their asses in spite of being a flippy dude.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Goldberg was still pretty green in his initial push, and his matches almost all being squashes didn't help him learn, but I think he rose above that eventually. And it's worth noting how he could make those squashes entertaining, like he wasn't selling much but his offense looked great whoever he was against.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Goldberg vs DDP is a legitimate banger. Although this is probably more down to DDP choreographing the whole thing and going over it multiple times with Goldberg.

But it does show that he can be 'good in ring' when he wants to be. I put quotations around good in ring, because I think Goldberg coming in, yelling, spear, jackhammer end is pretty cool and entertaining.

Look, I liked Goldberg, and I liked Goldberg vs DDP. But let's be real. DDP carried Goldberg through a solid ten minute match, and that's the standout example everyone goes to for why Goldberg was actually good in ring? Did he have any other above average matches?

I'll concede that I may have overrated Warrior, but Hogan was a much better worker than Goldberg. He was limited, but could go longer than five minutes and could do more than one type of match.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

FakePoet posted:

Way before my time, but did Rocca blow people's minds?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rujasu posted:

Look, I liked Goldberg, and I liked Goldberg vs DDP. But let's be real. DDP carried Goldberg through a solid ten minute match, and that's the standout example everyone goes to for why Goldberg was actually good in ring? Did he have any other above average matches?

I'll concede that I may have overrated Warrior, but Hogan was a much better worker than Goldberg. He was limited, but could go longer than five minutes and could do more than one type of match.

Goldberg vs Scott Steiner is better than Goldberg vs DDP work wise and a much different kind of match. Goldberg vs Saturn is very good, and everyone on this forum went nuts for Goldberg vs Brock Lesnar at Mania a few years ago. The ladder match with Scott Hall is also very good despite the goofy gimmick. The Raven and Hogan matches are both great smoke and mirror matches.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Goldberg vs Scott Steiner is better than Goldberg vs DDP work wise and a much different kind of match. Goldberg vs Saturn is very good, and everyone on this forum went nuts for Goldberg vs Brock Lesnar at Mania a few years ago. The ladder match with Scott Hall is also very good despite the goofy gimmick. The Raven and Hogan matches are both great smoke and mirror matches.

I feel like the Raven match went over so well because everyone expected a bullshit finish.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

I feel like the Raven match went over so well because everyone expected a bullshit finish.

At the time everyone in my school was sure Goldberg was winning and I don't think any of the smart fans doubted it either since DDP losing the belt the night before after they'd announced it on Thursday made it pretty clear what they were doing.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

At the time everyone in my school was sure Goldberg was winning and I don't think any of the smart fans doubted it either since DDP losing the belt the night before after they'd announced it on Thursday made it pretty clear what they were doing.

Counterpoint: It was WCW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

Counterpoint: It was WCW.

It was Raven, WCW didn't give a gently caress about Raven.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

FakePoet posted:

Disco Inferno

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

It was Raven, WCW didn't give a gently caress about Raven.

I've recently watched the Raven/Page feud on the network and outside of NWO drama, it's the most featured feud. I was really surprised how much TV time and creative freedom WCW gives Raven, considering he probably had very little political power backstage, he managed to get himself featured heavily.

Then again, maybe Bischoff just wanted a strong antagonist for DDP before his feuds with Hogan and the celebrities.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

davidbix posted:

No, that was Mike Piellucci: https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/6/17072332/cody-rhodes-dusty-rhodes-all-in

Great article. Shoemaker may very well have edited it, though.

Well that made me cry.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FakePoet posted:

Do Vince and Shane McMahon count?

Also this is as much a comment as a question but I dunno where else to put it. Why did Rock and Austin hold the WWF Title like it was apiece of garbage? During entrances wrestlers wear the belt around their waist or over their shoulder but only (of the wrestlers I've seen) Austin and Rock walked with the belt dangling from one hand like an afterthought. It just bugs me...the World Title should have more respect.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

the other example that pops to my mind of someone dragging a belt to the ring is naito when he was trying to destroy the IC belt so you have a point lol