Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
It will really depend on what they can pay her. A lot of actors have hard rates they need to be paid that they can't budge on "just for fun" without compromising their earnings in the future. This is why Orson Welles literally had a movie planned for Jack Nicholson that would have been great with Nicholson being all in on being in it, but Welles didn't have the budget to pay Nicholson his current rates at the time. Nicholson was basically like, "I've spent a decade getting my rates this high, and if I do your movie below those rates it's going to be years to get this high again." So even though he was willing to do it for dirt cheap, his agents and other ancillary people were like, "Nope."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Xealot posted:

Probably a pretty painless shoot for her, though. "On location in Van Nuys." It's probably like 20 minutes from Laurel Canyon or wherever she lives.

Actually a majority of it is filmed in and around Atlanta, weirdly enough.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I just watched episode 7 of season 2, where they do the “capture the headband” thing. All of the Cobra Kai people are comfortably wearing long sleeves, sweatshirts, and light jackets, while the Miyagi-do students suffer through a heat wave.

Miguel and Robbie’s paths do cross at the end, suggesting these happened the same day.
:goonsay:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ishamael posted:

Actually a majority of it is filmed in and around Atlanta, weirdly enough.
Because even the ostensibly liberal, union-heavy film industry doesn't want to pay taxes on anything ever, so filming locations are a race to the bottom and Georgia is currently the "you can basically film for free here" state.

Louisiana flirted with it for a minute. Seattle can only support one major production at a time because we make productions pay taxes. California is really only still a filming location because of inertia.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Dr Christmas posted:

I just watched episode 7 of season 2, where they do the “capture the headband” thing. All of the Cobra Kai people are comfortably wearing long sleeves, sweatshirts, and light jackets, while the Miyagi-do students suffer through a heat wave.

California Microclimates :eng101:

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Dr Christmas posted:

Miguel and Robbie’s paths do cross at the end, suggesting these happened the same day.

In LA they could literally drive north into the mountains and see a drop of 15 degrees. CA has some pretty wild temperature differences between different areas.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Because even the ostensibly liberal, union-heavy film industry doesn't want to pay taxes on anything ever, so filming locations are a race to the bottom and Georgia is currently the "you can basically film for free here" state.

Louisiana flirted with it for a minute. Seattle can only support one major production at a time because we make productions pay taxes. California is really only still a filming location because of inertia.

Yeah I work in production and the tax incentive game is a shockingly huge part of production, you would think that the additional cost of transpo and housing for cast and above the line crew would negate the tax break, but it doesn't. As soon as they showed the All Valley sign without seeing the building, it was pretty obvious they weren't in LA. But they are smart and get their second unit stuff in LA to help it have more of a SoCal feel.

EDIT: clarification

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 20, 2020

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

It's cause the Cobra Kai kids are cooler.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Anonymous Zebra posted:

It will really depend on what they can pay her. A lot of actors have hard rates they need to be paid that they can't budge on "just for fun" without compromising their earnings in the future. This is why Orson Welles literally had a movie planned for Jack Nicholson that would have been great with Nicholson being all in on being in it, but Welles didn't have the budget to pay Nicholson his current rates at the time. Nicholson was basically like, "I've spent a decade getting my rates this high, and if I do your movie below those rates it's going to be years to get this high again." So even though he was willing to do it for dirt cheap, his agents and other ancillary people were like, "Nope."

i mean, realistically speaking this seems kind of dumb, because in the Nicholson example, the obvious response to other people wanting him to work dirt cheap after Welles would be "I did that for Orson Welles and you're not Orson Welles"

e: in a situation like Cobra Kai things might be a little different because nobody involved with Cobra Kai is a legendary talent who more or less invented modern cinema, but that particular example seems kind of insane to me, because Orson Welles was not an unknown quantity then and making a special case for him would have likely been reasonable as such

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
The Hollywood landscape has changed since then. A lot of high-profile actors now do indie films between their big studio blockbusters, and I doubt it hurts their negotiating power too much.

Twenty years ago you'd never see a movie actor/actress "slumming it" on TV - it was a sign that their star had fallen and they were desperate for work. The lines are blurrier now. I wouldn't say Drew Barrymore, Ted Danson, or Danny Devito (for example) have been at the peak of their stardom for a while now, but they're all well known, highly paid big-screen actors who made the jump (back?) to TV, and it revitalized each of their careers.

It's reasonable to think Elisabeth Shue would be open to joining a successful, highly-acclaimed TV show, at least for a season.

The series seems to be heading toward Daniel and Johnny trying to put aside their differences to deal with Creese. Throwing a returning Ali into the mix (freshly separated from her husband?) would be an interesting catalyst for more conflict between the two, especially if Daniel's marriage continues to deteriorate.

Well, maybe after the rumored Okinawa trip next season, I guess?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
https://twitter.com/jonhurwitz/status/1319777905866465280
Can't wait until s3 is released and they can start filming S4.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Season 4? Yikes, I was hoping they would end on the 3rd. It already felt like they were stretching it a bit in season 2.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I think a 3 to get Johnny and Daniel on the same page followed by and a 4 to prove they're ending the series in a better place than they started is a smart plan. A Season 5'd undoubtedly stretch it, though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Bee posted:

I think a 3 to get Johnny and Daniel on the same page followed by and a 4 to prove they're ending the series in a better place than they started is a smart plan. A Season 5'd undoubtedly stretch it, though.

Also traditionally Netflix gets twitchy the further you get past two seasons, but now that I say that did Netflix have any money in season three? If not they might want a season five (which would be, I dunno, the Bad Boy of Karate Mike Barnes season).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Netflix is going to tell them season 4 is the last and then during filming they'll surprise renew for a fifth season. The series finale will be put on the shelf to be used at the end of season 5, marking the only appearance in the season of Daniel's daughter who will otherwise have to be written out. They'll fill out the early half of the season with a plot centered around psychics taking refuge in the Miyagi-Do Doji, hiding from Stingray who has been tasked by Cobra Kai to hunt down rogue psychic karate practitioners. Johnny will return as head of Cobra Kai, but Terry Silver will outfit him with a mind-control device. Still, he thinks it better to allow himself to be a puppet than for another Kreese to be allowed to assume power. In the end, Kreese and Johnny will destroy Cobra Kai forever in a suicide/murder pact, strangling each other while Johnny has enough Coors in his body to overwhelm the mind-control device.

Daniel, having reconciled with his wife, enjoys a quiet family dinner before going out to see if he can't get the old yellow classic running one last time. The final scene will be Daniel's son wandering around their McMansion the following morning because he needs a new Nintendo Switch. Daniel is nowhere to be found, though the car is still parked out front.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

Netflix is going to tell them season 4 is the last and then during filming they'll surprise renew for a fifth season. The series finale will be put on the shelf to be used at the end of season 5, marking the only appearance in the season of Daniel's daughter who will otherwise have to be written out. They'll fill out the early half of the season with a plot centered around psychics taking refuge in the Miyagi-Do Doji, hiding from Stingray who has been tasked by Cobra Kai to hunt down rogue psychic karate practitioners. Johnny will return as head of Cobra Kai, but Terry Silver will outfit him with a mind-control device. Still, he thinks it better to allow himself to be a puppet than for another Kreese to be allowed to assume power. In the end, Kreese and Johnny will destroy Cobra Kai forever in a suicide/murder pact, strangling each other while Johnny has enough Coors in his body to overwhelm the mind-control device.

Daniel, having reconciled with his wife, enjoys a quiet family dinner before going out to see if he can't get the old yellow classic running one last time. The final scene will be Daniel's son wandering around their McMansion the following morning because he needs a new Nintendo Switch. Daniel is nowhere to be found, though the car is still parked out front.

:golfclap:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

This, except that after saving the original series finale they had planned for season 5, they will cancel the series 2 weeks before season 5 starts shooting.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I really kinda hope they don't go to Okinawa and start bringing in elements of KK3 and go too far and mystical with this thing.

I love the cheesy 80's aesthetic we've got going here and, more to the point, just how well it's walked the line between over the top silliness and believability. We start going too far down the road of the shittier films (and let's face it, the first one is the only one worth a poo poo) we're gonna get into Rocky 4 and 5 territory real quick and I think the show will suffer for it by tipping too far into corniness. Creed 1 and 2 pulled it off but...I dunno. I don't want the entire balance of what it means To Karate hanging on the edge of Miyagi's ancestory and a bunch of ancient family grudges, with some bad guy from a movie nobody really saw, combined with a bunch of high school kids in the California suburbs carrying out the grudges of the so called adults.

At least not on that scale anyway.

Aside from Zabka's performance here (and several of the kids') along with some pretty sharp writing that looks at what it means to mature and age while always learning how to better yourself, this show could very easily have been (or become) incredibly stupid and laughably bad. It's not. I've really enjoyed it and so far it has expertly managed to walk that tight rope but the root element that makes it really click is simple; which is exploring toxic masculinity, aging and bullying for the most part. You get too goofy with that and add too much cheese then I think it's going to nosedive hard, Dexter style.

Just expand on the characters and the setting we already have. I can live without the magic drum and Johnny and Daniel opening a new loving bonsai store or some poo poo. We don't need another villain either now that we have Kreese and half the CK have turned on Johnny.
Work Ally in, of course, somehow - even if Shue doesn't opt in. If you can't get her, have the character be sick, make her go into "why the gently caress are you loving texting me so much? Now Daniel is texting me too? JFC!!?" territory and maybe have Daniel's wife get a bug up her rear end about it. If Shue is out just use her FB presence to point out how childish they're both still being and make her all "really?? Get a life." sort of thing.

Regardless, the table is pretty well set with the characters we have and there's still a lot you can do with them and what's already been established without delving into "so bad it's good" territory.

poo poo...that was long.

TL/DR: No Okinawa Karate Kid 3 poo poo please.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

When Johnny and Daniel almost fight at the house before having breakfast, it's mentioned to be a Saturday. We get cuts to Sam and Miguel talking at school throughout the scene, but Anthony is at home arguing with Johnny about who can kill who.

El Pipila
Dec 30, 2006
I am invincible; I have a stone on my back!

Anne Whateley posted:

I seriously dislike the "simply stand on one hand to kick them with both feet" thing. Even if it's not a real move, it should be actually doable, it's not fun when you know the guy is getting held up in a harness.

That's a real thing in capoeira: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiZiDGI4yFs

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I didn't know that, thanks! (I am still mad about Daniel's ultra fake handstand in the woods, though)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Also known as sexy dance fighting. (Cf: Bob's Burgers.)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Capoeira is a great way to lose a fight and make yourself dizzy at the same time.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Solice Kirsk posted:

Capoeira is a great way to lose a fight and make yourself dizzy at the same time.

it looks cool tho

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Look at this nerd who's never seen Only The Strong

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I had a dude teach Capoeira in my martial arts school for a while years ago. The musical aspect is great and kids loved it but not enough people joined the class so I had to cut it. It's really fun but ineffective.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

But Capoiera also is the reason for a really cool fight scene in The Protector so I'll let it slide.

https://youtu.be/H9AJIEcLVVs

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

On the topic of impractical fighting, what was going on with the tournament-dudes who just kept doing sick flips in the season one finale?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

waah posted:

But Capoiera also is the reason for a really cool fight scene in The Protector so I'll let it slide.

https://youtu.be/H9AJIEcLVVs

Dance fighting? Time to break out the break dancing!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

On the topic of impractical fighting, what was going on with the tournament-dudes who just kept doing sick flips in the season one finale?

Zander will feature prominently in the third season when he wins back the title. Season 3 is going to be all about him, a regular high school student that does karate for fun, struggling with homework and reading about a bunch of crazy karate gang members tearing a local high school apart with violence. It'll be up to him to show all of California that karate is way to bring people together, not tear them apart.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

No not Zander, the dojo that was almost certainly ran by these guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjYb7abs6bQ

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I love how people seriously consider martial arts as like, fight utility anything

Have you never been in a fight?

The whole point of any martial art isn't prescriptively and explicitly showing you what to do in a fight. Its about muscle memory and body training first and foremost. In zero fights are you going to stand in horse stance, the whole point is that in the heat of the moment in an actual fight you will have learned how to deflect and dodge hits and throw an actually effective punch.

Someone well trained in capoiera could loving dunk on the average American dojo karate master because all the high impact dancing poo poo they do makes you jacked and strengthens your body against getting hucked around.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
martial arts don't develop in a vacuum, and MA vs MA isn't like the ultimate test of practicality.

capoeira was invented to keep its followers fight ready, to do so discretely, and to prepare them for fights where they would generally be outnumbered by lightly armed opponents. it's very effective at what it was meant to do and people who practice it with dedication are absolutely dangerous in hand to hand combat.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Just binged both seasons over a week; what a great show. Several friends who also watched it recently all had the exact same opinion of it as I did, which was "this is not my kind of show at all; why do I love it so much?"

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's still better than that stupid drum punch thing from the second movie. What a dumb move. Even dumber than the crane kick, which was already stupid but at least believable as a last ditch "wtf?" kind of move in a tournament.

You can get KOs in MMA with the crane kick if your name is Lyoto Machida.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1A1z72FBm0

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Utgardaloki posted:

martial arts don't develop in a vacuum, and MA vs MA isn't like the ultimate test of practicality.

I think early UFC taught us that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

I think early UFC taught us that.

Early UFC was awesome because it did show what worked and what didn't. My favorite was the boxer that showed up and fought with one boxing glove on.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Early UFC was awesome because it did show what worked and what didn't. My favorite was the boxer that showed up and fought with one boxing glove on.

Didn't it basically come down to 'stamina, and a willingness to actually hurt your opponent?'

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Nestharken posted:

Just binged both seasons over a week; what a great show. Several friends who also watched it recently all had the exact same opinion of it as I did, which was "this is not my kind of show at all; why do I love it so much?"

You can get KOs in MMA with the crane kick if your name is Lyoto Machida.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1A1z72FBm0

Thanks. I now have a new channel to watch. I love this break down of the tactics required to get the flashy knockout.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Solice Kirsk posted:

Let us also toast the valor of Fred Ettish, who found out his high level strip mall karate was mostly good for keeping kids off the street for a few hours and that he eventually got his MMA win many years later.

TheCenturion posted:

Didn't it basically come down to 'stamina, and a willingness to actually hurt your opponent?'

Certainly that worked for Tank Abbot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Certainly that worked for Tank Abbot.

I was thinking more the Gracies for stamina, and yeah, Tank Abbot for being willing to just loving hit somebody until they stopped moving. I seem to recall one match where they hyped up this giant 400-pound dude, his art was some sort of 'Hawaiian bonebreaking' and Tank just ran up and started punching him in the head. Done.

I think maybe it was this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIsFRmA4Au8

Really brings to mind that Mike Tyson quote 'everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.'