Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Sleep training can be a life changer (it was for us) but do your research and stick with whatever you are doing. Flip flopping around can be confusing for the baby. Also a big part of sleep training success for us was getting to bedtime not overtired, which meant paying a lot of attention to wake windows and all that. Good sleep makes me a better parent and being well rested helps my kid feel her best. No shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Wife and I grabbed the free Huckleberry app for keeping track of sleep. I thought we were doing ok kinda keeping track of it on a day to day basis but I was completely wrong (thanks, sleep deprivation). It helped us hit his wake windows, and along with some mild sleep training we're at one wakeup a night at 7months. Highly recommend.

I definitely posted sleep questions in this thread a couple months ago because 1-6 months was a loving trainwreck so for anyone else in my shoes, maybe there's light at the end of the tunnel.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Yeah agreed the Huckleberry app rocks even in free mode. My 4 month old was an angel already, but it has made it even easier.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

We’ve started using Huckleberry as well on the recommendation of my husband’s coworker. It’s only been a few days, but it’s been really useful so far! Though it’s sometimes frustrating to notice that baby has been awake for way too long or that she typically only sleeps for and hour and a half instead of 2-3 hours at a time.

Nessa fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 24, 2020

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I just downloaded huckleberry after the third day of our son taking a 40 minute nap and being loving pissed of waking up but refusing to go back down.

He’s two years old. Apparently there’s a sleep regression here as well.

I know the app is free-what’s the premium and sleep consultation cost?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

lol there seems to always be sleep regressions. we had a mild one at 2 as well

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Welp I guess it’s my turn for sleep withdrawal. My 4 month old is fine, all good, wakes for boob a couple times and otherwise sleeps like a champ.

My 2.5 year old has been crying out for cuddles since 12.30. It’s now almost 3.30. She sleeps in her own cot, and goes to sleep on her own, and until today she has been fine with white noise and her dummy. She often has issues at first going down for the night, and will need one or both of us to go in and reassure her when she first goes down for the night. She’s usually asleep before 8.

Some nights she’ll wake, need a cuddle, then will go back to sleep on her own.

Tonight is unprecedented, even when she was a newborn. I don’t know what the hell is going on.

We’ve done a meditation to wind down that sometimes helps her, I’ve given her some painkillers, I’ve gone over all the things we’ll do tomorrow if she has a big sleep now. The last thing I did is put the lullabies on her camera and tell her that if she keeps yelling that the neighbors will wake up, so if she has trouble sleeping, to go through the meditation on her own again and again, and I modeled how to do that.

I’m so overtired now that my brain is wired. I should add that my husband went in too, but given that I’ve been awake, I’ve been doing the bulk of the reassurance.

I’m hopeful that my last trip in will clinch it, but Jesus Christ, what the hell is going on?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
In a few minutes, she'll take a huuuuge poop and then go to sleep...

Well that's the best-case scenario I guess. Best of luck!

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

I am kind of amazed that your 2.5 year old has more dedication to do meditation than I do.

All that aside, sleep deprivation sucks, but if that is the first time for her I would hold off on freaking out and looking for something that is wrong. Colic or a huge poop that went sideways are the usual suspects although I guess that a 2.5 year old could probably verbalize that.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Yeah I think I’m less freaked out and more shell shocked. She ended up going to sleep after my last visit at 3.30.

I asked her what was wrong, but couldn’t get a real answer. She’s very verbal, but complex concepts are, well, complex. I asked her if she was sick or sore, she said no. I asked if she was sad, she said yes, but couldn’t elaborate on a ‘what happened’ after that.

I ended up asleep at probably 4, then my 4 month old woke for a feed ready to rock and roll at 5.30. Felt bad about this part but once she was off the boob she went back in the cot and I went back to bed until just before 7. She settled herself back to sleep so I guess we’ll start the day soon.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Update: big poo poo in nappy.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

In a few minutes, she'll take a huuuuge poop and then go to sleep...

Well that's the best-case scenario I guess. Best of luck!

femcastra posted:

Would have never guess this outcome in a million years as a valid scenario

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Started naked potty training today with our almost 2.5yr old. So far he seems to have some control in holding in pee and his tell was pretty obvious so we lucked out there. He’s been good about using the potty unprompted and before his nap he took a huge pee in the potty. Still haven’t had a poop yet, it’s not that he’s holding it really. We put him in a diaper for naptime only and explained to him it was coming back off after his nap, but he did poop in his diaper during his nap sometime. Decent progress today even without a successful potty poop, at least!

Re: nighttime cuddles chat. Toddlers aren’t always good at telling you what’s wrong or what they need (at least in my limited dad experience). Ours just tells us what he wants but that usually isn’t the real problem, so we’ve stopped asking by now and are usually trying to work out what it could be. Even our reward system for staying in bed all night isn’t flawless but has made a huge difference still.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Does it count as sleeping through the night if your baby wakes up, squirms and whines for an hour, and puts themselves back to sleep without you waking up? I think it does

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

nachos posted:

Does it count as sleeping through the night if your baby wakes up, squirms and whines for an hour, and puts themselves back to sleep without you waking up? I think it does

It sure does for me!

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

nachos posted:

No question. Congrats!

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

femcastra posted:

She is a caricature of the worst a toddler has to offer today. It’s crazy how much of a shitbird she’s being because she is overtired. My mood’s not great either, so it’s a winning Sunday over here.

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

femcastra posted:

The look of transcendental contentment when they just did a diaper-bursting poo poo is something else, isn’t it?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Anyone know where I can get more detailed info on making toys for kids that are safe?

I want to make a prop for babbys first halloween costume and I don't want him to be able to hurt himself or choke on it, so I don't want to use wood or 3d printed plastic.

I was thinking of making a mold and pouring a food-safe silicone? But I'm not sure if that's actually safe enough if he decides to chew on it.

Any ideas or resources I should be aware of?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Mistaken Identity posted:

The look of transcendental contentment when they just did a diaper-bursting poo poo is something else, isn’t it?

It must've been so uncomfortable, they are so tiny and they take me sized shits.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

Anyone know where I can get more detailed info on making toys for kids that are safe?

I want to make a prop for babbys first halloween costume and I don't want him to be able to hurt himself or choke on it, so I don't want to use wood or 3d printed plastic.

I was thinking of making a mold and pouring a food-safe silicone? But I'm not sure if that's actually safe enough if he decides to chew on it.

What's wrong with wood, as long as it's
sanded smooth? My kids have lots of wooden toys.

If all the pieces are too big to fit in a toilet paper roll, I think it's not a choking hazard, or so I've been told.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

VanSandman posted:

It must've been so uncomfortable, they are so tiny and they take me sized shits.

She is truly a master of dropping big deuces. Much better sleep last night.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

a diaper found its way into the wash, and I've been wiping diaper goo out of the washing machine for a while now. how're yalls nights going?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

killer crane posted:

a diaper found its way into the wash, and I've been wiping diaper goo out of the washing machine for a while now. how're yalls nights going?

I passed out so hard on the floor this evening that I slept through my son climbing on me like a jungle gym and bouncing on my stomach.

Now I'm up, because overnight shifts suck rear end and I have one day to re-orient myself because I hosed myself up this weekend.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Our son refused to nap today and spent just over an hour fighting going to bed despite being so tired his eyes were half rolling out of his head. If we close the bedroom door while he is still awake, he now consistently rips his nappy off and posts it under the door in response.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

PerniciousKnid posted:

What's wrong with wood, as long as it's
sanded smooth? My kids have lots of wooden toys.

I presume they're worried that it might break and have sharp edges?

L0cke17 posted:

If it's actually baby's first year, I wouldn't worry much about it. An adult will be with him the whole time, right? Not like he'll have time to impale himself... All those certifications for baby safety assume that the kid will be playing unsupervised and try to jam it into their mouth/eye/sibling. As long as it's big enough that it can't choke him.

Maybe someone in the DYI forum will have an idea for materials if you post what you want to build there.

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

killer crane posted:

Our three month old usually poops twice each day. A huge one right after waking up and a smaller one sometime during the day.

It has now been over 36 hours since his last poop. He is gassy as hell and a cranky little poo poo. Last night he slept at most for an hour at a time and even that only if my wife cuddled him while breastfeeding him. So naturally she barely slept at all.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Mistaken Identity posted:

Our three month old usually poops twice each day. A huge one right after waking up and a smaller one sometime during the day.

It has now been over 36 hours since his last poop. He is gassy as hell and a cranky little poo poo. Last night he slept at most for an hour at a time and even that only if my wife cuddled him while breastfeeding him. So naturally she barely slept at all.

At that age if they are only breastfeeding they can just... stop pooping. They're absorbing everything.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

killer crane posted:

The power went out in our neighborhood because someone crashed into a pole and wrecked a transformer. It’s Florida so it’s hot and humid as hell so we scrambled and made the difficult choice to stay in a hotel for the night because our infant twins were sweating and we were too scared to let them sleep in the heat.

Fortunately as of this morning the power is back on, but it was not fun packing poo poo up last night while barely being able to see and having crying babies. They did ok once we got to the hotel though.

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

VanSandman posted:

At that age if they are only breastfeeding they can just... stop pooping. They're absorbing everything.

In theory, yes. He hasn't done that until now though and it happening from one day to the next seems ...odd.

Also, if the price for an efficient digestion is non-stop colic then that is basically a monkey's paw wish.

[Update] He just produced a near two minute long continuous bowel evacuation. It was like a slow and steady stream of yellow lava from his butt. Transcendental contentment achieved. [/Update]

Mistaken Identity fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 26, 2020

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Day 4 of potty training is so far not going great. He is clearly learning and holding better than day 1, but we’ve had five poop accidents since yesterday morning and two pee accidents. He will go sit on the potty unprompted and actually pee, but poop seems to be a different matter thus far.

Compounding things we were supposed to get internet installed today (fixed wireless) and apparently wintry weather comes around and they say gently caress it and reschedule. Our phone and iPad hot spots all are almost out of data for work. And our house is a mess. Painters tarp on the floor, toys and books everywhere to keep this kid entertained so we don’t put too much pressure on him.

Yikes.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Sometimes I feel defeated trying to interpret the wants and whims of a toddler, but sometimes I feel like I am deadass nailing it as I successfully negotiate a compromise on where his trucks can go to sleep (in a laundry basket, covered with a blanket, and "up high" on his dresser) since they are too noisy to sleep in bed with him

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Decided to take the crib wall off my son's bed and turn it into a "big boy bed" last night.

He only fell out of it once!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My six year old daughter just used the land line to call my cell phone while the wife and I were upstairs putting the twins to bed.

“Daddy, can I get ice cream by myself?”

Helllllll no.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Week 3 of our sleep terrorist hostage situation continues unabated. He won't lie quietly ever, becomes hyperactive if he's put in our bed and his sneaking skills are steadily improving. Nothing we've ever done before is even remotely working which I would find quite interesting if we weren't so god drat sleep deprived. Just desperately holding on to a routine (not that it's working) and waiting this phase out. I just wish I could shut the door without him immediately stripping naked.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

My toddler loves using her fork and is steadily improving with it, but holy moly meals take forever now because of the ~fun~. She used to just shove handfuls of food in her mouth, way quicker, basically the same amount of mess.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

devmd01 posted:

My six year old daughter just used the land line to call my cell phone while the wife and I were upstairs putting the twins to bed.

“Daddy, can I get ice cream by myself?”

Helllllll no.

That reminds me I need to figure out how to teach my kids to dial 911 without having a landline.

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

So, our little poo poo (I honestly love him dearly) has recently started to go on a "milk strike" on some days. He completely refuses the breast and gets in a shittier and shittier mood the hungrier he gets. The kicker? He refuses the bottle as well, never took to it.

So my wife is sitting there almost in tears because he is inconsolable and she is on the verge of galactostasis. And I feel utterly useless.

Just about the only good thing about this situation is that I now know the word "galactostasis".

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

PerniciousKnid posted:

That reminds me I need to figure out how to teach my kids to dial 911 without having a landline.

Your cheapest option is to get an old cell phone and keep it plugged in to charge somewhere. Every cell phone has to be able to access 911 regardless of service status. However, depending on how young your kids are you may not want them to have to deal with address memorization.

I went a little bit overkill; I got a voip SIP DID number in our area code and tied the ATA adapter on battery backup to the existing phone port in the kitchen. The SIP number is registered with our address for E911. Key numbers for kiddos to call are on a sheet inside the cabinet above the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

BadSamaritan posted:

My toddler loves using her fork and is steadily improving with it, but holy moly meals take forever now because of the ~fun~. She used to just shove handfuls of food in her mouth, way quicker, basically the same amount of mess.

We get this too. We are done with our meal in like ten minutes, we are now hostages at the table the next 40-50 minutes as our toddler gets distracted every five seconds, puts down his fork or spoon for like ten minutes and then insists on using it once he realizes it still exists, gets out of his chair over and over again, etc. Its maddening to just sit there and stare at him as he takes his sweet time eating because he’d rather play with his food