Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Codependent Poster posted:

This bugged me with Juggernaut this week. Xavier says Krakoa is for mutants only so Cain isn't welcome. But there are humans there for sure, and relatives are welcome there.

It's not the first time we've seen Chuck play fast and loose with the laws when it comes to his personal agenda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

This bugged me with Juggernaut this week. Xavier says Krakoa is for mutants only so Cain isn't welcome. But there are humans there for sure, and relatives are welcome there.

To be fair, Juggernaut doesn't have the best track record for positive relations with the X-Men.

Also, I love that Juggernaut is now my favorite X-Title. X of Swords has been decent over all, but I never want to read another one shot about a mutant getting a magic sword again.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Tensokuu posted:

I've been reading ASM (currently on issue 20) and I have to say that I absolutely loathe Bachalo's art. When I saw how weird Kravon looked in one issue I went back to the start and saw he was doing the art and it just reminded me of how I fell off X-Men when he was doing the art (and then Dr. Strange had him on art for a bit too). I don't get it, how can he be so off-design so often?

It's just weird because I've seen some of his like, non-book art (he did a cool Sandman cover for Spider-Man at one point that was rad) but whenever he does the art and coloring for a book it just... I can't take it.

His Lizard looks like a gigantic iguana instead of well, The Lizard.

Bachalo is a fantastic artist. Not saying you can't like him, but he's not off-design, it's a stylistic choice. There's not really any other comic artist like him.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah Chris Bachalo rules. I'll often read books I have no interest otherwise in just to see his art.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

also, no

What the gently caress is this

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

To be fair, Juggernaut doesn't have the best track record for positive relations with the X-Men.

Yeah but like... half the island's residents (if not more) are old X-villains. I'd definitely say this is more Chuck being a dick.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

Yeah but like... half the island's residents (if not more) are old X-villains. I'd definitely say this is more Chuck being a dick.

They're Mutant ex-X-villains.

Though you'd think with Black Tom being pretty important to the island he'd have been able to put a word in for Juggernaut.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

that's actually a notable inconsistency in the Krakoa worldbuilding; tbh. most of the DoX books hadn't (and still haven't) suggested that humans are normally allowed on Krakoa until a couple months ago, but X-Factor has Northstar's human husband living on the island like it's no big deal. The X of Swords handbook's Krakoa entry even mentions that a special exemption was made for him to explain it away.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Not really, Madrox is on the island and he's not technically a mutant and there are exceptions for spouses and children of mutants. Its more a hanging plot thread they severed to make things easier.
Yes he is. The "Killcrop" thing was a subset of mutants (like Externals) that display their X-Gene at birth instead of adolescence. There's certainly a number who that applies to, like Nightcrawler.

But yeah, they made it clear humans are welcome, but they need a pass, which is certainly to allow for human partners and such.

And Bachalo owns.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

How Wonderful! posted:

Couldn't he just get killed by Apocalypse and sort the whole thing out?
In the (not very good) X-Men/Fantastic Four miniseries they implied that the loss of his powers has an underlying cosmic cause, so destroying and resurrecting his body wouldn't fix it unless you first found and removed the cause at the source.

Also everyone was too damned scared of Sue Storm to even think about it.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

gently caress I can't wait until Slott is off Fantastic Four. Anyone read the new Ironman now that he's off that?

I enjoyed the first issue of the new IM, soooo much better than Slott. It has a sort of retro feel to it but in a contemporary way, if that makes sense. Tony has the old mustache back, his suit is simpler, and he’s living in an apartment in NYC. Also the art is beautiful. And Hellcat is in it!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

In the (not very good) X-Men/Fantastic Four miniseries they implied that the loss of his powers has an underlying cosmic cause, so destroying and resurrecting his body wouldn't fix it unless you first found and removed the cause at the source.

Also everyone was too damned scared of Sue Storm to even think about it.

It was a nice bit (one of the few) in that series that what should terrify you about the FF was Reed's brains and Sue in general especially but not limited to when she's play mama lion.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The new Iron Man is really fun. I highly recommend following the writer, Christopher Cantwell, on Twitter. He's very funny, and also it was really charming to watch him geek out when he found out Alex Ross would be doing the covers for his comic. :allears:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

JordanKai posted:

The new Iron Man is really fun. I highly recommend following the writer, Christopher Cantwell, on Twitter. He's very funny, and also it was really charming to watch him geek out when he found out Alex Ross would be doing the covers for his comic. :allears:

I thought he sentenced to jail

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
He has an unfortunate name yes

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yep, I’d use a pseudonym if I were him. Or switch to Chris or Kristopher or something.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
He made his name before, I think, the other Christopher Cantwell was a known figure, and I imagine he leveraged his reputation from Halt and Catch Fire to break into comics. Name recognition is tough to ask someone to give up.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

If he uses a pseudonym it makes it hard to trade on the fact that the dude created one of the better tv shows of the past decade.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I think since his show was a big success he deserves to change his name to Canwell

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gripweed posted:

I think since his show was a big success he deserves to change his name to Canwell

CanGREAT, imho.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
We're really getting into it in Immortal Hulk, and I love it.

Also one of the little things I think I appreciate the most about this run is how Ewing respects Puck. Puck has a competent, reliable rock this entire run. I really like seeing Ewing write him up against this sea of horror and not blink.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
This whole time I really thought Leader's goal was to stop the future where "Banner" wins, I never even considered that the future message is what caused their nightmare in the first place.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Immortal Hulk still so good.

Runaway #32 was also my jam, in a very different way: sign me the hell up for their high school shenanigans.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

With everything going on in ASM, I think Spencer's actually going to address OMD as part of this arc.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Yvonmukluk posted:

With everything going on in ASM, I think Spencer's actually going to address OMD as part of this arc.

I feel like people have been saying that for loving ever.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, well at this point, given the repeated references to the JMS run in this issue, the team-up with Strange, the dream sequence with MJ that expressly seems to reference dialogue and imagery from that story, it seems like those guesses were correct.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Didn't he literally have Mephisto winking at the reader about this in ASM a few months back?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I said that when he gave his early interviews.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The best scientists at Marvel Comics have spent the past ten years in the narrative lab, attempting to create never before seen story ideas. It was a long, hard struggle. But They have finally succeeded. They have invented three new stories they can tell about Spider-Man's marriage that aren't "Mary-Jane worries about Peter because he spends so much time fighting crime". Spider-Man will be remarried and readers will get to experience these amazing new stories starting in May 2021

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gripweed posted:

The best scientists at Marvel Comics have spent the past ten years in the narrative lab, attempting to create never before seen story ideas. It was a long, hard struggle. But They have finally succeeded. They have invented three new stories they can tell about Spider-Man's marriage that aren't "Mary-Jane worries about Peter because he spends so much time fighting crime". Spider-Man will be remarried and readers will get to experience these amazing new stories starting in May 2021

Can't wait for "Peter is sick so Mary Jane has to dress up as in his costume and convince everyone she's the real Spider-Man" story.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Maybe MJ will take up smoking again, or get stalked. Remember when her rich stalker tried to ruin her life to be killed by another stalker who showed up almost out of nowhere?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Maybe MJ will take up smoking again, or get stalked. Remember when her rich stalker tried to ruin her life to be killed by another stalker who showed up almost out of nowhere?

Can people smoke in Marvel comics now? It was a Quesada rule and he's no longer there, but I don't remember seeing anyone smoke after he left.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Dawgstar posted:

Didn't that stalker fake MJ's death, killing an entire plane load of people in the process.

Then Spidey spent a year in mourning, eventually finding out the truth, went to fight the guy and got completely rigiddy wrecked.
So much so the bad guy just monologued to Peter and then died.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Can people smoke in Marvel comics now? It was a Quesada rule and he's no longer there, but I don't remember seeing anyone smoke after he left.

I think it's still verboten, actually. I would not be shocked if Disney kept it up. I just remembered 'MJ is smoking because she's worried!' was her storyline sometime around Maximum Carnage.

The Question IRL posted:

Didn't that stalker fake MJ's death, killing an entire plane load of people in the process.

The one I'm thinking of was the guy who got Peter and MJ kicked out of their Central Park high rise (on Christmas!), kidnapped her at one point, sent Styx and Stone after her, generally made her life a living hell and saw to it she couldn't get any modeling gigs (although she started with a soap opera and I think that's when she became an actress) then kidnapped her again but the rich stalker was killed by a cop who was also obsessed with MJ who I think only came up a few issues earlier. This was all David Michelinie's work who I consider a good Spidey writer overall but did nothing much with Mary Jane which does not admittedly make him stand out among the pack.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Remember when Peter hit MJ that one time?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

the best part of the "MJ is smoking" plot thread was that one time the soap director got mad because she was smoking while shooting a scene. I guess no one noticed until the cameras had been rolling a few minutes.

Second best part was every third issue where Peter would stop what he was doing and give her a stern lecture about it.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

They both get all their memories back and realize they just aren't into each other anymore.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what sort of psycho would get back with the guy who sold their marriage to satan if they knew about it?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

what sort of psycho would get back with the guy who sold their marriage to satan if they knew about it?

Hey it was her idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gripweed posted:

I'll be honest, none of the stories when it comes to Peter's relationships post-OMD feel like they were anything new or interesting. Oh no, Carlie/Michelle/Cissy Ironwood got mad at Peter for missing a date because he's secretly Spider-Man! That's never happened before!

For that matter, basically none of the story arcs post-OMD would have been changed all that much when it comes to Peter's marital status with the exception of Superior (because that would snap credibility to the breaking point, not to mention the ethical landmine of Otto assuming a married Peter's identity - it was skeevy enough when he tried to get with MJ as it was). But then Kraven's Last Hunt was foundational on the marriage (and them being newlyweds in specific). Every status quo is going to limit the stories you can tell, but it's not like you need every single Spider-Man story to revolve around his romantic status.

Dawgstar posted:

The one I'm thinking of was the guy who got Peter and MJ kicked out of their Central Park high rise (on Christmas!), kidnapped her at one point, sent Styx and Stone after her, generally made her life a living hell and saw to it she couldn't get any modeling gigs (although she started with a soap opera and I think that's when she became an actress) then kidnapped her again but the rich stalker was killed by a cop who was also obsessed with MJ who I think only came up a few issues earlier. This was all David Michelinie's work who I consider a good Spidey writer overall but did nothing much with Mary Jane which does not admittedly make him stand out among the pack.
I mean, honestly a rich guy using his connections to ruin a model/actress' career because she won't sleep with him seems like the kind of story that's got a lot of resonance with a modern audience. You kinda make it sound like it was compressed into one arc and not a long-running subplot over the course of his run - so I'm not sure where you're getting that he didn't do anything with Mary Jane given you know, that whole subplot he gave her (including rescuing herself a few times and even Peter at one point).