Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

Not an actual recommendation, but I ran into this while browsing:

I liked the joke where she didn't realize she was in actual Europe, let alone that she was Marie Antoinette, because she didn't know anything about Austrian history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Elfface posted:

They're cribbing from each other, so because a few influential early works had it, the rest have to as well.

Did Dragon Quest have any slavery plotlines? If so, thats probably the ur-example.

The only slavery plot I remember from DQ is in 5, where the protagonist gets enslaved for 10 years.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So the artist for Knights & Magic has been publishing a large number of twitter comics in his spare time. Another has started to get translations and man is it just the best. Isekai Yuusha G-Shine

Shame I know absolutely nothing about the Brave series of mecha shows.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Brought To You By posted:

So the artist for Knights & Magic has been publishing a large number of twitter comics in his spare time. Another has started to get translations and man is it just the best. Isekai Yuusha G-Shine

Brave is literally the version of Transformers made after the company Takara ended the Generation 1 storyline way back in 1990.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

EVIL Gibson posted:

Brave is literally the version of Transformers made after the company Takara ended the Generation 1 storyline way back in 1990.

Yeah, I've been reading up on the series overall. And to my surprise I did watch one story in this franchise. A friend showed me the GaoGaiGar FINAL OVA's years ago but I'd forgotten the name. Was really good and the Opening rocked, the sheer escalation of threats went from Big Fire to the Anti-spirals in like one episode and I loved it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fW2IK3lnt4

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vise the Stompy posted:

The Red Ranger becomes an adventure in another world explorers Isekai genre mixing in a whole new way with Tokusastu. It is extremely dumb in the best possible way. Cautiously optimistic that it wont turn bad but only one chapter to go by so far.

I love crossovers, always been a fan. Ever since I found out about Kissmanga and then Mangadex I've been enjoying a good chunk of the isekai stuff but now I'm wanting people to mix it up. The Villainess stuff is a good way of going about that- if anyone ever finds 'Villainess reverse Isekai's into Japan or something' like was thrown out in here before please let me know because I am obsessed with this idea now- and having people get pulled in that already have powers is extremely my poo poo.

Those two manga rule, even though they've only just started getting translated.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I like Knight's and Magic and rewatch the anime every so often. Thanks for the find!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not so much a manga as a few disconnected pages followed by the artist making jokes about it

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well, the issue of "I'm Not a Villainess!! Just Because I Can Control Darkness Doesn't Mean I'm a Bad Person!" finally showed up on MangaDex where the MC was rewarded by the Light Spirit for being a good person by turning her white. That wasn't on my bingo board.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Yea both the translators and commenters were talking about that in earlier chapters.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

oh my god, a newer set of raws has the same chapter, except after getting the blessing she doesn't magically turn white.
https://mangadex.org/chapter/1079257/1

Plotwise this makes no sense because the entire point is that once she's "normal looking" no one is afraid of her anymore and all but magically starts liking her, but hey, still less terrible

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
thanks, japanese fans of villainess isekai manga, for not also being fans of racism

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
The silver lining is that she clearly hates it, but yeah this was a huge shock to read.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Man I was waiting for that for a long time now. Let's solve discrimination by turning her white. What could go wrong?

I'm actually surprised the publisher did an about-face and released a v2 without that change. Although I now wonder what the heck is going to happen with the rest of the story since the reason why everybody likes her now is because she's white. I guess they'll just change it to, "everybody likes her because the light spirit approved of her."

I think the novel fan translation actually ended right before the end because nobody could stomach it anymore.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I know I stopped reading it myself after that chapter. I'm glad they changed it (eventually) in the manga, though I'm not sure if I'll start reading that or not.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
On the one hand, I can appreciate that it's actually condemning judging someone by their skin color - she is furious that everyone hated and feared her before, but as soon as her skin gets turned white they're falling over themselves to invite her to parties and act like it was all a terrible misunderstanding.

But yeah, the implications are still really unpleasant.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 25, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I would've preferred her getting a constant glow, like a Super Saiyan aura or something.

At the very least, good on her for calling our how shallow everyone is though.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Isekai/fantasy stories kind of have a huge blind spot in terms of class consciousness, so at the very least I'd hope they'd do better with gender and race issues.

The worst thing about Dark Spirit Isekai is that how close it gets It, and it fumbles an easy layup at the last second. The concepts of light and dark are human constructs that have no correspondence with reality. Claudia carries no spiritual taint, the chain of blame lies solely with the fools who betrayed the previous hero. She is of the first generation of villainess heroines, where the character's pure demure niceness and willingness to play along with all the nice power structures of the world plays out in her favor. They gave her an incredibly cute and appealing character design. Heck, she's barely even dark skinned, it's almost as light as you can get. And at her moment of greatest triumph, they obviate one of the best parts of her? Go back on all the themes they had been building up? Replaced her character design with something self-evidently less appealing? Even stories like Shrek have handled this with greater poise.

The mangaka and publishers have probably realized this was an enormous mistake, and they should probably try to memory hole it asap, even if the story will forever be known as "that isekai with the cute dark-skinned MC who was whitewashed mid-way through"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i had it mixed up with level 99 villainess, which is essentially the exact same premise done better

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
L99 Villainess is of the second generation of villainess MCs, where the protagonist gets to be a bad bitch who can live on their own terms.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The chapter comments have reached over 500 posts of chuds tripping over themselves trying to explain why it isn't actually racist because-

I can see what the author wanted to do, but they just didn't have the brevity or tact to pull it off. You would have thought that the people behind the manga adaptation would have pushed for changes to the story, but it is just laughable that they blindly went through with it and then had to backpedal hard once everybody started to cry, "colorism!" Now they've altered the last 2 chapters and the rest of the story is going to be a little weird.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I actually will say that the story is not currently necessarily racist, due to the reaction of the MC to the situation. She calls out the (fantasy) racists, after all.

And there is a theoretical chance that the manga avoids making the jump from depicting racism to being racist. I am not getting my hopes up too far, tho.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

VictualSquid posted:

I actually will say that the story is not currently necessarily racist, due to the reaction of the MC to the situation. She calls out the (fantasy) racists, after all.

And there is a theoretical chance that the manga avoids making the jump from depicting racism to being racist. I am not getting my hopes up too far, tho.

I've always seen it as a story about racism. I mean, sure, they're supposedly afraid of her because she has vast powers and the previous chosen of the dark spirit tried to destroy the country, but I don't think it's a coincidence that part of it is that her skin is darker. And if her getting light skin and now everyone loves her was the end of the story... yeah, I would want to break something.

I'm withholding judgment on that, though, because her reaction was pretty much straight up "You treated me like poo poo because I was different, and now that things have changed you want to pretend this was all a misunderstanding? gently caress you." And the story isn't over, so it remain to be seen what happens.

Withholding judgement doesn't mean I think it's fine, just that I want to see how they handle it first.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I haven't read the novel/manga, but if she's literally the only one with dark skin, doesn't it make her more of a mutant in their eyes than just a different race? Like if a single human child on earth was suddenly born with green skin, I wouldn't really think of it as racism to be freaked out about it.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

darkgray posted:

I haven't read the novel/manga, but if she's literally the only one with dark skin, doesn't it make her more of a mutant in their eyes than just a different race? Like if a single human child on earth was suddenly born with green skin, I wouldn't really think of it as racism to be freaked out about it.

The dark skin isn't, at least nominally, why they fear her. It's just one of the side effects of being chosen by the dark spirit, who is constantly offering to do horrible things to anyone who disrespects her. However, I think the dark skin was specifically chosen to make the story a metaphor for racism, even if it doesn't line up one for one with real world racism.

Sort of like X-Men mutants, actually.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Bremen posted:

I've always seen it as a story about racism. I mean, sure, they're supposedly afraid of her because she has vast powers and the previous chosen of the dark spirit tried to destroy the country, but I don't think it's a coincidence that part of it is that her skin is darker. And if her getting light skin and now everyone loves her was the end of the story... yeah, I would want to break something.

I'm withholding judgment on that, though, because her reaction was pretty much straight up "You treated me like poo poo because I was different, and now that things have changed you want to pretend this was all a misunderstanding? gently caress you." And the story isn't over, so it remain to be seen what happens.

Withholding judgement doesn't mean I think it's fine, just that I want to see how they handle it first.

That's what I was sorta getting at. The author seems to want to explore discrimination and does show how everybody's perception of the MC changes when her skin color changes, and shows how she finds everything disingenuous. In an ideal world, the light spirit queen would say the change was temporary, then the author would explore the change in treatment of the MC, before ending it with a righteous callout of bigotry and how their culture creates their own monsters. But, as far as I know, it doesn't end like that. It just turns into a romance with the prince. It just feels like a huge wasted opportunity.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean, I don't think they would have back-pedaled on it in the manga if they knew they were going somewhere interesting with it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Could always be a Xenosaga situation where they're hard changing the manga in light of the backlash and causing more problems along the way, like with the Titanic not just going full steam ahead into that iceberg.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I think the skin color change isn't intentionally racist, but the way it's described makes me Hmmmmm a bit

In my experience, Asian cultures don't "get" why blackface is bad right off the bat, so that might be a factor. (As an Asian, I've only recently learned that it's an awful practice myself)

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Gotta laugh one of my favorite isekai tropes is hero makes a magic toilet with bidet. Because that is a game changer in personal comfort.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New beware the villainess

"Howdy! I'm Yuri! Yuri the heroine!"

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's not so much a manga as a few disconnected pages followed by the artist making jokes about it
It reads like skipping episodes of an actual series but I can still dig it.

Dapper Illithid demands a backstory though.

RareAcumen posted:

and having people get pulled in that already have powers is extremely my poo poo.
Late reply but I scanned through my follows and bookmarks and unsurprisingly there aren't a lot of isekai I've read where a crossover occurs. Only one that scratches that particular itch is a bit unfair to recommend since the manga got the axe. But The Wolf Won't Sleep is an Isekai written by the author of Bard Loen. The premise is a fantasy to fantasy world hop, the main character is an accomplished adventurer who finds a portal that shunts him over to a different world that operates on sometimes similar, but also different rules of magic. The story examines the differences between the two as well as the MC's interactions with various persons such as the noble family he becomes employed too not soon after he arrives. It's really good but again, the manga won't be getting an ending.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Late reply but I scanned through my follows and bookmarks and unsurprisingly there aren't a lot of isekai I've read where a crossover occurs. Only one that scratches that particular itch is a bit unfair to recommend since the manga got the axe. But The Wolf Won't Sleep is an Isekai written by the author of Bard Loen. The premise is a fantasy to fantasy world hop, the main character is an accomplished adventurer who finds a portal that shunts him over to a different world that operates on sometimes similar, but also different rules of magic. The story examines the differences between the two as well as the MC's interactions with various persons such as the noble family he becomes employed too not soon after he arrives. It's really good but again, the manga won't be getting an ending.

Yeah, it's a real shame. I was following that one too so I'm already aware of it and it getting canned despite doing alright by all respects.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Yona is the best character.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Welp, The lady and the Beast solved a problem.

There's no way this is permanent given how early in the story it seems

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I wonder if the other Dukes were actual werewolves or reverse werewolves like the current one.

It would explain how their wives lived long enough to have children. Can't remember if they said if the Duke turned earlier in life than the others.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Guyver posted:

I wonder if the other Dukes were actual werewolves or reverse werewolves like the current one.

It would explain how their wives lived long enough to have children. Can't remember if they said if the Duke turned earlier in life than the others.

His symptoms actually appeared later than usual. Chapter 8 outlines how the previous heads either died off or completely avoided this curse.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Oh poo poo she can legally and ethically bang him now?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Artificer posted:

Oh poo poo she can legally and ethically bang him now?

Well, that remains to be seen, he hasn't said anything yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Witch Hat
Oct 28, 2020

Captain Invictus posted:

New beware the villainess

"Howdy! I'm Yuri! Yuri the heroine!"

Yuri really lives up to her name.