Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

tomapot posted:

Nice!

Showed the set to my wife and she wants it just for nostalgia. She shared a memory of her childhood watching the show after her siblings went off to school while her mom made her breakfast. Our daughter was a big Sesame Street fan too. So many fond memories.

By the way I love this rooftop HVAC unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Selling individual parts on bricklink sounds like my personal hell. I don't even get how it's worth people's time.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The more I think about the Sesame Street set, the more I realize how badly I want them to do Muppet sets. Like a Muppet Show stage and Fozzy’s car with the Electric Mayhem bus etc.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The more I think about the Sesame Street set, the more I realize how badly I want them to do Muppet sets. Like a Muppet Show stage and Fozzy’s car with the Electric Mayhem bus etc.

Oh hell yeah!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

veni veni veni posted:

Selling individual parts on bricklink sounds like my personal hell. I don't even get how it's worth people's time.

This has to be such a commitment, it sounds like utter misery.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Cloks posted:

I'm taking apart Ninjago City and Docks to make some room for newer sets and wow, City is still one of the best sets ever made. Just a fantastic amount of detail and interactivity; I love the touches like the crab bake and sushi counter.
It's still probably my pick for best set of all time tbh. I've only taken mine apart to move it (and then rebuild) - I doubt I'd ever replace it with anything.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

I suspect individual bricks are a gateway to other stuff on stores, especially minifigs, which really add up. I know whenever I got a random store for parts or something, I always go through and add a buncha figs and maybe a set or two cause it’s fun and helps me hit the store minimums

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I must be BL sellers least favorite type of customer. "Yes, I will take 217 of these 1x1 rounds at 1 cent per piece, 38 of these large wheels you inexplicably are selling for 3 cents a piece, umm and 1 quantity of 200 random parts ranging from 2-20 cents each. Thank you for 3 hours of your time, here's the $11.75 I owe you.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I'm a big buyer of individual bricks. When locating primary pieces for a project I'll look at every iteration of printed/decorated tiles and bricks (no stickers), food and animal objects, test bricks, and anything in certain colors that a seller has in their inventory that strikes my fancy (the 'sand' family of colors, unusual trans pieces). I never pay much for shipping but cumulatively I spend more by buying from a ton of different sellers.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

I must be BL sellers least favorite type of customer. "Yes, I will take 217 of these 1x1 rounds at 1 cent per piece, 38 of these large wheels you inexplicably are selling for 3 cents a piece, umm and 1 quantity of 200 random parts ranging from 2-20 cents each. Thank you for 3 hours of your time, here's the $11.75 I owe you.

The thing is, if they have 38 of something and you order 38 I feel you're almost doing them a favor by cleaning them out of that part. I always over-order, if I need 4 and they have 5 I'll order the fifth one to integrate into my reserve "pile". The real jerk is whoever left them with only 1 of something!

The sellers also decide their own level of involvement by listing minimum buys, minimum lot sizes etc. so I assume sellers without those restrictions don't mind.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Some sellers also say they only ship on Mondays or whatever. So they probably spend the day before picking everyone's orders for the week. It still seems like way too much of a hassle. I'd rather be able to just buy parts directly from Lego.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Pick-a-Brick online has a much larger selection than in the physical Lego store, no minimums as far as I am aware and standard free shipping rules apply for orders over $25 (or smaller PAB orders part of a larger order totalling over that amount). The only downside is it takes a lot longer than any seller from BL, the piece prices are not always competitive per se, and they don't have everything. Pieces are not available in all of the colors you might want, but they are immaculate brand new as good as if they were hand-picked fresh off the assembly line.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Pick-a-Brick online has a much larger selection than in the physical Lego store,

Bricks and Pieces, the other Lego way of buying individual pieces has an even better selection! And not a very large overlap with P&B so you get to use 2 different systems to buy individual pieces!
Oh and if there is an overlap of same piece in same color, the prices are different!

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

the piece prices are not always competitive per se

Both P&B and B&P have garbage prices except on some outliers where they can even be a lot cheaper (e.g. LBG 3x2x 1/3 arch thay was used aplenty on one of the BL MOC sets which skyrocketed the price on BL)

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 24, 2020

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Ineptitude posted:

Bricks and Pieces
Interesting, I never knew about this. I see the catalogue for this is more impressive than the PAB inventory as far as how many bricks are theoretically available, but for example searching for parts 6216, 30155, and 30147 turns up entries but none of these pieces are in stock, nor are they available in all colors they have been produced in. They really don't want us to have white wheels, or black grilles!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There's a PAB online? I thought that was B&P? I'm very confused. PAB in stores, B&P online. Right? Wrong? WTF.

PAB online looks like a different way of viewing the parts database. Rather than searching by set or element, you search by type/color. The more you know.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Interesting, I never knew about this. I see the catalogue for this is more impressive than the PAB inventory as far as how many bricks are theoretically available, but for example searching for parts 6216, 30155, and 30147 turns up entries but none of these pieces are in stock, nor are they available in all colors they have been produced in. They really don't want us to have white wheels, or black grilles!
They will never stock pieces that are not in current production because B&P is just ordering from the current LEGO warehouse. The flipside of that is you can occasionally get pieces before they're even out, or order larger quantities of extremely uncommon parts.

Example 1: When the Chinese New Year sets were a region-locked controversy a year or two ago, their unique printed food tiles and the gold-rimmed bowls and such were available through B&P.

Example 2: This wheel was available in metallic gold in just one commonly available set, the 2017 Sydney skyline, which cost $30 and came with only 1 of them. The wheel costs about $7.50 or more each on Bricklink as a result, but I grabbed a set of four for dirt cheap iirc back when they were on B&P.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Was looking for Christmas presents and saw Amazon has the Saturn V back up for $120 if you missed out and want to spend $120 on a gigantic showpiece.

Yes, I'm an enabler. No, I have no guilt.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Thats odd, the types of parts i look at lists every color the part has ever been produced in, even colors that went out of production long before B&P ever went live (e.g. light gray and dark gray).
You quickly see what's available though, items you can add to basket is available.

The tip to using B&P is to search for a part number, e.g. the ones that Bricklink uses, then taking the element number you get in the B&P list to google to see what Bricklink calls that color since Lego uses weird names for all their colors.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The three I named specifically don't have all the colors- the white wheels in question only appeared in one set and the black grille is from the 2004 Knight Bus. It makes sense they wouldn't have them if they're pulling from warehouse stock since they would have been gone long ago. It also looks like PAB and B&P have different inventory catalogues- that particular wheel doesn't even show up in PAB when in B&P it's Out of Stock.

website posted:

What is the difference between Pick A Brick and Bricks & Pieces?
We often get asked why we have two separate replacement part services, Pick A Brick and Bricks & Pieces.

In Pick A Brick, you will find our classic, standard LEGO® pieces. These are the ones that people ask for most often. Pick A Brick offers you a lower price and you can order up to 999 pieces per brick. Your order will also qualify for LEGO® Shop promotions and can be tracked.

In our Bricks & Pieces assortment you’ll find a wider selection of parts, including more unusual ones like DUPLO® pieces. You can order up to 200 pieces per brick and these orders cannot be tracked.

Of course, you can earn and redeem LEGO® VIP points through both services.

Happy picking!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The B&P interface has gotten crappier over the years too. Once upon a time you could search by color and do substring matches, but these days unless you got an exact "element" (their code for the part design + color) or the part design number you ain't gonna be finding poo poo.

Made it real easy if you, say, wanted to stock up on dark azure pieces and scroll down the list clicking the ADD button a thousand times.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Thanks for the storage tips everyone, I ended up going with these from Akro-Mils.

I cashed out my classic space hoard 6 years ago and haven't done much Lego since but COVID gave me the itch again. I like buying giant lots and then sorting out what sets they contain - that's what these bins are for, although I'll probably end up sorting my main collection also. Then I sell off the lame sets and bulk parts and repeat the process.

My start on the first few lots I scored recently:

And my first 'rescued' set. Battrax and Polaris lab are up next.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Magnetron owns.

I made a minifigure of this dude because I think he is cool as hell.

NOBODY MILKSHAKE DUCK HIM I NEED THIS OK

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Sloppy posted:

Thanks for the storage tips everyone, I ended up going with these from Akro-Mils.

I cashed out my classic space hoard 6 years ago and haven't done much Lego since but COVID gave me the itch again. I like buying giant lots and then sorting out what sets they contain - that's what these bins are for, although I'll probably end up sorting my main collection also. Then I sell off the lame sets and bulk parts and repeat the process.

My start on the first few lots I scored recently:

And my first 'rescued' set. Battrax and Polaris lab are up next.

Good choice! I have a few of the Akro Mils bins for electronics components in my lab, and they are definitely head and shoulders above stak-on and other drawer bins I’ve used.

One of my coworkers does bulk buys, his wife finds amazing deals on Facebook Marketplace and the like. Unfortunately out near me it seems as though people are more discerning of what their kids’ collections are worth.

deoju posted:

Magnetron owns.

I made a minifigure of this dude because I think he is cool as hell.

NOBODY MILKSHAKE DUCK HIM I NEED THIS OK

That is fantastic... now I wanna find some pumpkin heads and do this guy

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 25, 2020

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

OSU_Matthew posted:

One of my coworkers does bulk buys, his wife finds amazing deals on Facebook Marketplace and the like. Unfortunately out near me it seems as though people are more discerning of what their kids’ collections are worth.

I use www.shopgoodwill.com. You can get some stunning deals if they take bad pictures and few others bid. I usually pay $3-5/lb.

Also, anyone have a clue what this is? I thought I had good Bricklink search skills but this one is eluding me. It's clearly super old based on the logo font.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah I want to say it's from like, late 60's/early 70's sets.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Sloppy posted:

I use https://www.shopgoodwill.com. You can get some stunning deals if they take bad pictures and few others bid. I usually pay $3-5/lb.

Also, anyone have a clue what this is? I thought I had good Bricklink search skills but this one is eluding me. It's clearly super old based on the logo font.

It's this, 1960s era nylon trailer coupling:
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalo...2iconly%22:0%7D

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Nailed it. Thank you!

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Just built the Newberry Subway set with/for my 3 year old and he is having a blast with it. This is the first Hidden Side set that I built and I liked it more than expected. The app is pretty cool too.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

My best friend is looking for a Lego Birds 21301 set for his son for Christmas. Figured I’d check here and see if anyone has a sealed one kicking around before he starts eBaying it.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Anyone want a 10040 Black Seas Barracuda? Photo here. Instructions and all figs. Sails are clean and not frayed, but could use some ironing or pressing. I just took it apart for shipping and I see one piece missing/swapped: a light gray 2 x 4 plate, which was replaced with a light bluish gray one. Also adding 11 more minifigs that I've picked up over the years to serve as extra crew - a blend of pirate and CMF figs. One of them even has a fancy flintlock pistol that someone chrome plated for me a while ago (I usually let the monkey hold it). No box. I'm thinking $300 obo? Undercutting the cheapest one I could find by $50. Good companion for your Pirates of Barracuda Bay or whatever!

edit: actually I'm gonna lowball myself for the quick sell. $250 + actual shippin' to a goon.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 26, 2020

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost
Amazon has the Apollo Saturn V rocket on sale today for $83.99. It's a great set and was what got me back into Lego after 20+ years.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Yeah it's nuts, it popped back up the other day, dropped in price suddenly, and sold out instantly!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Fatigued posted:

Amazon has the Apollo Saturn V rocket on sale today for $83.99. It's a great set and was what got me back into Lego after 20+ years.

The ISS set is also discounted with a coupon. $59.99.

Also, I've gotta give this place credit - the first Titanic model/toy that *includes the iceberg*: https://www.amazon.com/dOvOb-Blocks-Titanic-Building-Figure/dp/B07VMKWK1Z/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 26, 2020

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Carbohydrates posted:

Anyone want a 10040 Black Seas Barracuda? Photo here. Instructions and all figs. Sails are clean and not frayed, but could use some ironing or pressing. I just took it apart for shipping and I see one piece missing/swapped: a light gray 2 x 4 plate, which was replaced with a light bluish gray one. Also adding 11 more minifigs that I've picked up over the years to serve as extra crew - a blend of pirate and CMF figs. One of them even has a fancy flintlock pistol that someone chrome plated for me a while ago (I usually let the monkey hold it). No box. I'm thinking $300 obo? Undercutting the cheapest one I could find by $50. Good companion for your Pirates of Barracuda Bay or whatever!

edit: actually I'm gonna lowball myself for the quick sell. $250 + actual shippin' to a goon.

If I did not already have one I would be all over this for nostalgia

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Is there any way to tell the re released 10040 Barracuda from the original one without box or instructions?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Is there any way to tell the re released 10040 Barracuda from the original one without box or instructions?
Ooh, we gettin nerdy? There are two really quick ways to check if the ship you're looking at is the original '89 or the '02 reissue: first, check the minifigs. The '89 ones have solid stud heads (and less internal support in the torso pieces). For the ship itself, on the 1989 model, some of the sails came attached to one another and had to be separated with scissors. On the 2002 version, all sails came already separated. This difference should be visible at a glance. One more big one applies if you're in Europe: your 1989 ship will have shooting cannons, and the 2002 one will not. For US sets, neither had firing cannons. For Australia, the 10040 apparently still had shooting cannons. The rest of the differences are really minor, but here we go. These are the ones of which I am aware and there may be others.

- The mast pieces, 2537 and 2538, have slightly updated molds.
- The 1989 model had more 2 x 2 corner bricks and fewer 2 x 4 bricks (though some of those additional bricks from the '89 original were not actually used in the model, but were spares for alternate builds on the back of the box). This also changes the total piece count of the models slightly.
- The flexible rubber hose piece 73590 is updated to the version with the four little prongs/tabs on the ends.
- The vertical clip plates 4085 were updated from their "A" mold (very thin) to the "B" mold (thick). For reference, modern ones are on version D.
- Slight mold update on the 4475, 3933, and 3944 wedge plates.
- Mold update for the treasure chest - slots added to the back and the hinge was thickened.
- This one is so minuscule that Bricklink doesn't even distinguish the mold variations, but the old musket rifles were very slightly different - late 80s guns had a different handle. Found that tidbit on Eurobricks.
- Apparently 1 x 1 round plates used to come on a sprue of 2? So in theory, there's a visual difference between them.
- The 3-faced slope 3048 was updated to have a bar on the underside.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 27, 2020

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Carbohydrates posted:

- Apparently 1 x 1 round plates used to come on a sprue of 2? So in theory, there's a visual difference between them.

The gate marks are going to be pretty small.

I kinda miss the sprues; they were my 'valuable gem' pieces back in the day.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Pyroclastic posted:

I have these sprues and the sprues that flowers used to come on. Can confirm, all 100% valuable treasure, but the pink ones were sometimes (also?) human brains to put in robots.

I was a weird kid.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Pyroclastic posted:

You know, on rare occasion I see that sprue used in MOCs and I always wondered what it came from. I used to keep the flower and gold coin sprues, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Carbohydrates posted:

You know, on rare occasion I see that sprue used in MOCs and I always wondered what it came from. I used to keep the flower and gold coin sprues, too.

I'm not even sure if the sprue has any connection commonality with System. Bricklink doesn't seem to list it separately, either.