Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ImpAtom posted:

That isn't a bad idea honestly. Considering they have dragons and poo poo, "Krypton's planet is just extremely metal" seems reasonable.

Yeah, I thought so too. The inevitable setup of having Clark die while facing off against the last Doomsday would've had some nice thematic weight to it too. They both could be considered "last sons" of Krypton and whatnot. Sins of Clark's ancestors coming back to claim its sole survivor, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

josh04 posted:

Ridiculous to suggest that the film would have dared leave out this central aspect of the classic character, Iron Man:

*In extreme Morbo voice*
TRANSISTORS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY

It's like someone read a newspaper article about these new little gizmos that will increase computer capacity a hundredfold and completely misinterpreted what that meant.

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly that doesn't make a huge amount of sense for what BvS did so I can't be surprised.

TBH it feels to me like if you didn't use Doomsday there you use a Bizzaro-Zod because you already have the basic "Zod's body is revived as a weird broken monster" thing and having him be this twisted deformed version of Superman's worst nightmare coming back feels like it'd have more thematic relevance than "big ugly cave troll."

I'm inclined to agree, I guess the final act would have focused more on Supermans failure to protect innocents and his guilt at having let Wally down, but fashioning a doomsday from zod thematically works better. Plus there's the whole theme of how fathers influence their sons which is neat with Doomsday/Lex/Lex Sr

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McCloud posted:

I'm inclined to agree, I guess the final act would have focused more on Supermans failure to protect innocents and his guilt at having let Wally down, but fashioning a doomsday from zod thematically works better. Plus there's the whole theme of how fathers influence their sons which is neat with Doomsday/Lex/Lex Sr

My initial impression there is that it probably would work better in a film that was just Superman. "Metallo is the representation of Superman's failures coming back to haunt him" works better if it's mostly about Superman. Despite him hating Superman I kind of associate that guy more with Batman's own paranoia and fear and sense of helplessness. Seems like Batman himself takes the bulk of that weight in the final version.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

My initial impression there is that it probably would work better in a film that was just Superman. "Metallo is the representation of Superman's failures coming back to haunt him" works better if it's mostly about Superman. Despite him hating Superman I kind of associate that guy more with Batman's own paranoia and fear and sense of helplessness. Seems like Batman himself takes the bulk of that weight in the final version.

Agreed. Would have been neat to save him as sequel bait, but uh...unexploding someone is pretty hard, even in comic books. Took an act of God (well...kinda) to bring Oliver Queen back in the comics

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

josh04 posted:

Ridiculous to suggest that the film would have dared leave out this central aspect of the classic character, Iron Man:

It's kind of funny how obviously that isn't any sort of metal at all on the gold bits

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The cool thing about the BvS thing as-is is that it's Superman facing off against the statue of himself but like a twisted version, the statue as seen through Batman or Lex's eyes- Doomsday being literally a Kryptonian given new form by a human. Superman fights a telephone game of his own legend that grows in power whenever it's attacked, like QAnon. How can he defeat the way people think of him as a god? In the end the only way to win is to prove he really never was a god, by dying

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

2house2fly posted:

The cool thing about the BvS thing as-is is that it's Superman facing off against the statue of himself but like a twisted version, the statue as seen through Batman or Lex's eyes- Doomsday being literally a Kryptonian given new form by a human. Superman fights a telephone game of his own legend that grows in power whenever it's attacked, like QAnon. How can he defeat the way people think of him as a god? In the end the only way to win is to prove he really never was a god, by dying

Not entirely sure that last part tracks because his death was extremely Jesus Like and that was a dude whose death pretty much confirmed his deity status.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Not entirely sure that last part tracks because his death was extremely Jesus Like and that was a dude whose death pretty much confirmed his deity status.

He defeated doomsday by sacrificing himself, motivated by his love for Lois, and by extension, the world, just like Jesus sacrificed himself out of love for us. They both track, imo

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

teagone posted:

Yeah, I thought so too. The inevitable setup of having Clark die while facing off against the last Doomsday would've had some nice thematic weight to it too. They both could be considered "last sons" of Krypton and whatnot. Sins of Clark's ancestors coming back to claim its sole survivor, etc.

You could also have it then tie into later theming for Brainiac, who is also in a way the last son of krypton and it’s sins coming back to haunt Clark.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lord_Magmar posted:

is also in a way the last son of krypton and it’s sins coming back to haunt Clark.

That seems to come up a lot with Superman

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Thematically, BvS Doomsday is basically a Kryptonian Xenomorph.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
And the Kryptonians in Man Of Steel are basically Terminators... Hell, a Terminator even is a man made of steel

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Really think that's not an accident, given Krypton's Giger as gently caress aesthetic and the whole apocalyptic themes.

This is more Snyderdome material, but Zod is basically a Spartan.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Michael Shannon would be a scary Terminator.

Edit:
For scary scenes of Shannon chasing people, watch that movie where Joseph Gordon Levitt is a bike courier.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The endpoint of this twisted line of logic is clearly that Leonidas should be in Mortal Kombat.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Always wanted to see Leonidas fight Rambo and RoboCop.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

2house2fly posted:

And the Kryptonians in Man Of Steel are basically Terminators... Hell, a Terminator even is a man made of steel

Cyborg's also a Terminator - his dad is Miles Dyson, and the bits of him that are created in BvS are literally models borrowed from Terminator 5.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lord_Magmar posted:

You could also have it then tie into later theming for Brainiac, who is also in a way the last son of krypton and it’s sins coming back to haunt Clark.
Brainiac's origins go from Weirdo Robot Guy from Colu's Computer Tyrants to Krypton's selfish rear end in a top hat Computer Core (Superman cartoon) to immortal program extension of a biomechanical monster holed up in his giant tentacle head ship.

No reason it's can't just be eldritch space stuff

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

2house2fly posted:

Actually its hyperalloy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Robot Style posted:

Cyborg's also a Terminator - his dad is Miles Dyson, and the bits of him that are created in BvS are literally models borrowed from Terminator 5.

Funny thing it's normally Metallo or a rogue Superman robot that's DC's go-to Terminator impersonator.

Kinda disappointing they haven't done Metallo yet, he's a simple concept but a fun one that'd fit right in; a Kryptonite powered cyborg, maybe made as a knockoff of Cyborg, designed specifically to kill Superman but powerful enough to be a threat to everyone else too, there you go. Also he's a dumb brute with a massive grudge.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing it's normally Metallo or a rogue Superman robot that's DC's go-to Terminator impersonator.

Kinda disappointing they haven't done Metallo yet, he's a simple concept but a fun one that'd fit right in; a Kryptonite powered cyborg, maybe made as a knockoff of Cyborg, designed specifically to kill Superman but powerful enough to be a threat to everyone else too, there you go. Also he's a dumb brute with a massive grudge.

The Cyborg Superman has the most terminator aesthetic, he's an astronaut Superman tried and failed to save

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

McCloud posted:

*In extreme Morbo voice*
TRANSISTORS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY

It's like someone read a newspaper article about these new little gizmos that will increase computer capacity a hundredfold and completely misinterpreted what that meant.

my favorite part is the total lack of imagination that led to iron man having a loving slide rule in his gauntlet

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

That has to be intentional, it's hilarious.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Mandrel posted:

my favorite part is the total lack of imagination that led to iron man having a loving slide rule in his gauntlet

I love it. It's so evocative of a particular era, much like vintage short stories mentioning "atomic stoves" and "rocket taxis". :techno:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

josh04 posted:

That was a red herring. Tony Stark is and always has been powered by booze - which the movies also kind of left out.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
RDJ asked that they don't do that, he thought it was too gimmicky for him to do, plus even having to act like he was drinking opened the door to a relapse.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
PTSD was a better route, and having him be bugfuck addicted to building suits was nice as well.

There's too many functional alcoholics and woo-morons in tech for "CEO of tech company drinks too much" to really be shocking.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He’s still an addict, his drug of choice is just unchecked capitalism.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Toyman is the worst villain ever. He's basically the Joker or the Trickster, but you get this strong urge that he diddles kids.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's just one version.

There's another version that is really off-putting and creepy but not in that way, more like Saw

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ImpAtom posted:

That isn't a bad idea honestly. Considering they have dragons and poo poo, "Krypton's planet is just extremely metal" seems reasonable.

That's very in line with the oldest depictions of Krypton in the comics too. IIRC like a Kryptonian zoo would have bars/etc. made from their version of glass or cermanic stuff because a lot of the animals just eat our equivalent of iron like whatever.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the kryptonian version of history looks like Iron Maiden album covers

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

well why not posted:

the kryptonian version of history looks like Iron Maiden album covers

In the film Man of Steel the pod that transports Kal'El from Krypton to earth makes its journey and hits home in 1987. That's the same year as the release of the Dio song Sunset Superman on the album Dream Evil which I posted earlier in the Snyder thread. Now, in this six volume essay, we will establi

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

In the film Man of Steel the pod that transports Kal'El from Krypton to earth makes its journey and hits home in 1987. That's the same year as the release of the Dio song Sunset Superman on the album Dream Evil which I posted earlier in the Snyder thread. Now, in this six volume essay, we will establi

I would read that. We all would. Get writing.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Snyder's greatest crime. Making Superman a milenial.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Literally a millennial antifa.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

RDJ asked that they don't do that, he thought it was too gimmicky for him to do, plus even having to act like he was drinking opened the door to a relapse.

Wasn't he drunk during a party in Iron Man 2? I definitely remember him being drunk at a party in Iron Man 2.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Patrick Spens posted:

Wasn't he drunk during a party in Iron Man 2? I definitely remember him being drunk at a party in Iron Man 2.

yeah they took a long-running plot for Iron Man regarding his substance abuse and condensed it into "he was drunk once at a party and people got mad at him"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Literally a millennial antifa.

I loved this. People losing their minds over him snapping Zod's neck and it's like, ah yes, the guy who is a (other planet's but still) government designed uber-mensch that's made it clear he is going to destroy all human life no matter what just out of spite and his final act is attempting to incinerate an innocent family with young children, you felt this character should have lived/been redeemable because?

A complaint that got aired a lot about him killing Zod was that Superman should have found a "third way" and it's like, yeah, that mindset's worked out great for us.