Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It might take a while to get a final count, I imagine there were a lot more mail in ballots this year.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7420080/bc-election-2020-latest/

quote:

About 478,900 vote-by-mail packages had been returned as of Friday morning, which represents about 66 per cent of all mail-in packages requested and issued to date, Elections BC said.

Advance votes will be counted alongside on election day. Mail-in ballots will be counted 13 days after election day at the earliest as per provincial law.

There are nearly 3.5 million registered voters in B.C.

13 days, lol.

Facebook Aunt has issued a correction as of 05:17 on Oct 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Diane Watts complaining that the NDP is not fiscally responsible, lol

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
I did my part to help democracy by signing a thing to let the old fat communist party guy in my neighborhood to run

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

priznat posted:

First time an NDP premier has been re-elected, apparently! In BC but possibly country wide? Just overheard that on ctv.

No Sask and Manitoba have re-elected Dippers, and the NDP got reelected in 96 in BC just with a new leader. Outside that there is I think only one time, one term governments in ON, NS and AB and nothing else. This is only the 5th time they've won in BC.

DynamicSloth has issued a correction as of 05:23 on Oct 25, 2020

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Hahahaha the two Langleys might both flip NDP because the Conservatives stole a bunch of votes from the Liberals suck my dick from the back boomers

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

Hahahaha the two Langleys might both flip NDP because the Conservatives stole a bunch of votes from the Liberals suck my dick from the back boomers

a lot of millennials are moving out there after getting priced out elsewhere and it’s really shifting the demographics too! but the vote splitting is probably a bigger reason lol.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

priznat posted:

a lot of millennials are moving out there after getting priced out elsewhere and it’s really shifting the demographics too! but the vote splitting is probably a bigger reason lol.

Yeah, I've lived my whole life (except for a three year career-starting -- and near-alcoholism-inducing, hoo boy -- stint in Victoria) in Langley and it's good to finally possibly see things moving left. Especially since the Lib candidate in the Township this year is that town councillor who denied an approval to paint a rainbow sidewalk *at zero cost to the city*.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

West Vancouver elected a green candidate lmao

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Thornthwaite out lmao

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Oh it's a riding that also includes squamish and whistler nevermind that's less funny

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

priznat posted:

It was quite the calculated move to call the election now and it looks like it paid off so hopefully Horgan does some good stuff.

First time an NDP premier has been re-elected, apparently! In BC but possibly country wide? Just overheard that on ctv.

most mail-ins were apparently NDP and there's a lot of them

the fast ferries canard is finally dead. Hallelujah

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Oh it's a riding that also includes squamish and whistler nevermind that's less funny

Yeah the British Properties and poo poo are all in West Vancouver-Capilano

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Truth.

CocoaNuts has issued a correction as of 15:30 on Oct 25, 2020

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Edit: Oops this is the canada thread.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

xtal posted:

Edit: Oops this is the canada thread.

It is, and the proper thing to do would be to say, "I'm sorry."

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
lol

https://twitter.com/elizabethmay/status/1320230275930963974?s=21

crispyseaweed
Sep 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1320048903316770820

if only

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

time to execute Order 66 (FF (fast ferries))

Juul-Whip has issued a correction as of 21:37 on Oct 25, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

hoping for hydroplane ferries this time

with car decks none of the small ones that used to go vancouver to downtown victoria

also hovercraft ferries

also a big wall keeping anyone east of langley contained

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Why not just a bridge?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

priznat posted:

hoping for hydroplane ferries this time

with car decks none of the small ones that used to go vancouver to downtown victoria

also hovercraft ferries

I demand giant mecha that pick up and carry your car across the strait for you. Please ignore the environmental impact of walking on the sea floor though.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I am hoping for state of the art slow ferries, to give us an escape from the fast paced world of 2020

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dang the local trans anti-trans candidate got 1.4% Which isn't much, but considering he was essentially a one issue candidate it's kind of depressing that some folks apparently thought to themselves, "hmm, yes, sex ed and trans children are the most important issues facing us today."

TRUTH | DEMOCRACY | FREEDOM | CHILDREN

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Why not just a bridge?

it'd be longer than the confederate bridge and you'd have to turn a gulf island into a stepping stone

they once proposed a bridge to Nanaimo using Gabriola island and the locals were not happy. nanaimo really wants people to shop at their 2 dozen malls.

priznat posted:

the NDP is promising a skytrain to Langley and i'm having a hard time imagining that commute

those things carry like 1/4 the amount of people of a subway car

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Why not just a bridge?

From what I can recall the straight is too deep and muddy at the bottom to do a bridge like the one to PEI. The best option cost wise would apparently be a submerged floating tunnel which frankly sounds loving terrifying.

I also like the slow ferries idea, and make them so you can stay in your car if you want and you don't have to go mingle with covid carriers on their way to protest wearing masks or whatever.

Durf posted:

the NDP is promising a skytrain to Langley and i'm having a hard time imagining that commute

those things carry like 1/4 the amount of people of a subway car

The newer skytrain cars are pretty big I thought, I've been on them from football games where it's pretty impressive how many folks that can cram in there. The real fuckup was on the canada line where they didn't make the platforms long enough to accommodate longer trains iirc.

priznat has issued a correction as of 22:23 on Oct 25, 2020

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Just do a raft with a couple of ropes across the channel.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

T.C. posted:

I am hoping for state of the art slow ferries, to give us an escape from the fast paced world of 2020

Roll on/roll off square rigged car carriers are the (BC)green way of the future.

Edit

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Just do a raft with a couple of ropes across the channel.

We already have one. It's lovely. https://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/denman-island-ferry-back-in-service-after-mechanical-problems-1.24182353

B33rChiller has issued a correction as of 22:26 on Oct 25, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Giant Trebuchets/net catcher combinations for getting your car over from the island quick

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Mandatory boat cars

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Mandatory boat cars

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
My dad said Trudeau doesn't want you to use a lawnmower, he heard it from rebel news thats says "The Federal government is searching for vendors to create a national database of private lawn equipment." . So I fact checked him in realtime and what the government really wants is a rough idea of how much pollution is made by dirty lawn mowers.

quote:

The Contractor will:
1.1. Review the pertinent section of the draft questionnaire provided in appendix
1 and suggest any modifications that would improve the questionnaire and
results.
1.2. Develop a methodology and sampling strategy to achieve statistically
significant results (aiming as much as possible at 95% confidence level with a
margin of error of ±8.0 points) throughout Canada and in every province and
territory, including urban and rural areas. The methodology needs to include
ways to identify the relevant businesses and government entities that own and/or
operate lawn, garden and other small mobile outdoor power equipment to
establish their population.
1.3. Conduct the survey.
1.4. Compile the data.
1.5 Prepare a detailed report including the results.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

priznat posted:

The best option cost wise would apparently be a submerged floating tunnel which frankly sounds loving terrifying.

What could possibly go wrong with building something that can be bumped into by a boat and drown everyone inside?

Sucks about no bridge though, would be pretty neat to be free from the ferries.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

How conspiracies like QAnon are slowly creeping into some Canadian churches

hmm that’s weird that churchgoers are susceptible to harebrained conspiracy theories I wonder why that is :thunk:

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Mandatory boat cars

Just issue every BC family with a bunch of caulking so they can seal up their cars and let them float across, Oregon Trail style.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
The libertarian party attempts to ford the river

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/gilmcgowan/status/1320719895688966145?s=20

https://twitter.com/JunkerAnna/status/1320735648467148800?s=20

gently caress around and find out I guess.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
hes gonna fire them all bc he thinks he's ronald reagan, and then be shocked, shocked!!!, when nobody replaces them and thousands of covid patients just straight up die

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

vyelkin posted:

hes gonna fire them all bc he thinks he's ronald reagan, and then be shocked, shocked!!!, when nobody replaces them and thousands of covid patients just straight up die

As long as it's poor people dying, his plan is working as intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispyseaweed
Sep 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/CdnCentrist/status/1320743543531401218

Starting to think these accounts aren't real