Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Hello it's me, the guy still mad armored lord/emperor can't cast magic

Edelgard has the least unique personal class and it's so sad. Like, claude obviously has wyvern lord but with bowfaire and bowrange, dimitri has the only infantry lance class, and edelgard has... fortress knight with +1 movement. Wow.

I’m not mad but it’s pretty dumb/annoying since, like, being armored isn’t like flying where you exchange a bow weakness for being busted as poo poo, being armored is basically just something (some) tanky units get slapped on them so they’re more manageable as NPCs. Also yea, the arvis thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Getting the worst upgrade to the personal doesn't help either. Even if it did save her life at one point.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

That and she has a really cool personal magic list, with that hidden talent to push you into raising it, and then finding out the only melee classes she could even use magic in are dark knight and weeb. (weeb is obviously the best choice because it's hilarious)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

McTimmy posted:

Barbossa doesn't actually have bow range because it would overload on abilities otherwise. Which really means it should have it because wyvern.
oops. i must've been confused with failnaught having longbow range (and me still not having played my deer file to part 2 so my experience with barbarossa is with claude as a boss)

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Can't wait to do a third playthrough and have Edelgard, Constance and Lysithea as the weeb class. War cleric Manuela.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I just started part 2, and I discovered a downside to training students in stuff they don't normally excel in: A lot of my students can't teach Byleth the skills I want. Mercedes, for example, is set to teach Faith, but because I've gone this whole game without raising her faith, she's at a way lower level than Byleth in Faith and can't teach it.

I guess everyone's going to be stuffing a lot more meals down every month...

Edit: Check out Constance's awesome, over-the-top "ojousama" voice in Japanese.
https://twitter.com/Akinomakinomin1/status/1320416800970919936?s=20

Inu fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 25, 2020

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I kinda come around to be being divided on the class thing with Edelgard, on one hand all the Lords should have fun / interesting alt builds to go through instead of all their skills lining up with their personal class and I'll die on that hill, but Edelgard's personal class does kinda suck compared to everything. Amyr Combat Art Spam is just even more busted on a Wyvern so why bother with anything else if you're gonna focus on Edelgard's Axe rank? Gender restrictions keeping her out of Warmaster crop up yet again as restricting in an uninterest way here.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Inu posted:

Sarah Emi Bridcutt is awesome and it'd be rad if she could get more roles because watching an LP with the Japanese dub of Ashen Wolves and hearing her do both of Constance's personalities is fun as heck.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Inu posted:

I just started part 2, and I discovered a downside to training students in stuff they don't normally excel in: A lot of my students can't teach Byleth the skills I want. Mercedes, for example, is set to teach Faith, but because I've gone this whole game without raising her faith, she's at a way lower level than Byleth in Faith and can't teach it.

I guess everyone's going to be stuffing a lot more meals down every month...

Yeah, it's kind of dumb that students can only teach certain skills if better than byleth rather than just by being better than byleth.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Rimusutera posted:

I kinda come around to be being divided on the class thing with Edelgard, on one hand all the Lords should have fun / interesting alt builds to go through instead of all their skills lining up with their personal class and I'll die on that hill, but Edelgard's personal class does kinda suck compared to everything. Amyr Combat Art Spam is just even more busted on a Wyvern so why bother with anything else if you're gonna focus on Edelgard's Axe rank? Gender restrictions keeping her out of Warmaster crop up yet again as restricting in an uninterest way here.

Even if she could use magic, her alt build would still be on a wyvern because she's loving Daenyrs, give that woman a dragon.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Eimi posted:

Even if she could use magic, her alt build would still be on a wyvern because she's loving Daenyrs, give that woman a dragon.

She's better written than Daenerys :v:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

eating only apples posted:

She's better written than Daenerys :v:

There's still a chance for book Dany. :ohdear:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

GRRM's been a long shot bet for years

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Xarbala posted:

GRRM's been a long shot bet for years

To be fair, not finishing it would still be better writing than the TV show.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Please don't compare Edelgard to Daenerys. I actually like Edelgard and remember having reasonable amounts of fun with FE16 even if I am completely loving burned out on it at the current present, I still somewhat enjoy hearing about Edelgard, Dimitri, Claude and Papagane Seteth and whatnot from other goons' perspectives.

I don't recall having fun with GoT at all since, like, 2014-15 (when season 3 aired, I think? Can't even recall now) or something. It felt pointlessly grim and mean-spirited, almost to the point unintentional comedy. Like I don't mind grim/cynical shows (I am, after all, super into horror), but GoT after a point just felt... dour. Like even at its most cynical/ruthless, there's a hint of hopefulness on Edelgard's journey that feels earnest and even if it's my least favorite of the 3 routes I've played (the most overall fun was Verdant Wind, the one with my favorite character arcs was Azure Moon), I kinda liked Crimson Flower.

Just hearing through friends (and especially through Water-Cooler-Talk with co-workers on full-on sunk-cost mode) about GoT's last 3 seasons just... turding it all up felt like I made the right choice bailing on it when I did.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

If it makes you feel any better, I am saying this as an absolute Edel-stan, who is probably as bummed as those people and wishes she got better. FE16 to me is CF and I adore all of my Eagles and the route, even if it's rough and unfinished.

I'm also replaying it, using the wolves because I didn't do so when the DLC, and it's really hard benching 4 of my Eagles for them, even if Caspar has never turned out good and the first time I use Balthus he's an absolute monster. Though the only funny class I'm doing is Weeb El because I want her to use magic.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

why are you benching anyone? there's enough EXP to go around for at least 15 units.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Amppelix posted:

why are you benching anyone? there's enough EXP to go around for at least 15 units.

Unit caps? It takes a while for the battle cap to raise beyond class+guest or two.

It also gets obnoxious juggling too many dudes.

Boy am I looking forward to use everyone.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i don't think deploying half of your units in one map and half in the next is very obnoxious at all. Or takes any amount of effort. If you want it very simple you can always pick just the ones who are currently lowest level, along with any specialty utility you need for the current battle.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Eimi posted:

There's still a chance for book Dany. :ohdear:

This isn't an aSoIaF thread, but, uh, her arc has been pretty heavily telegraphed since like book 2.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

I haven't played in like six months and fired up the DLC campaign to finally unlock stuff. After like two hours I've hit a wall with it and am unsure what to do.

Does it get to be any fun at some point? The new characters feel awful to use outside of Yuri due to the combination of classes/stats/enemies. The second mission felt harder than any main campaign mission besides the daybreak one.

I tried twice to get past the 3rd mission with the named golem and couldn't find a way to get through it before I got ground down by everything else.

It seems obvious that mullet priest guy who just showed up will wind up being the villain.

I admit I haven't made any adjustments besides switching Edelgard to warrior, but I don't get what they were aiming for with these missions so far.

Edit: I carried over on hard like a moron since the main campaign was super easy with the tools you can build. I'll bump that and try to look for way more battalion uses. I wasn't trying them enough probably because of how weak the damage was without trying maximize ending their movement and whatnot. The other question is if there is a certain weapon or battalion to use on the named golem in the 3rd mission. Nothing does anything to it that I seemed to have.

Canopus250 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 26, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

first of all are you on normal

if you are there's not really much to say, the missions are just harder and expect you to use all your resources in a way you never have to during the main game. if you want some general tips make sure you're utilising all your gambits and combat arts effectively and positioning carefully, not just throwing your guys in the middle of a pack of enemies with the expectance that they'll probably survive whatever happens (sorry if that sounds demeaning, i really don't mean it that way, since you genuinely will be trained to play like this by the rest of the game)

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
The DLC maps are a lot tougher than the regular game. You definitely can't split your forces like you'd usually do.

Edelgard as Armored Knight is an invaluable tank for most of the maps, you should try to use her. Move a lot slower. Make sure you only pull one or two enemies at a time, and try to kill them on the next turn.

Hapi has huge range with her spells and horse and should ideally never be attacked. Same for Constance. Both are best deployed as magic nukes or used to soften enemies before they retreat behind the frontline. The only difference are the golems, who do magic damage. They'll also attack Hapi exclusively thanks to her ability.

Balthus is the usual punch guy, like Caspar and Raphael. He can also heal, but that's really secondary. Your main healer will be Linhardt who should never ever leave the Bishop class.

As for the rest, Byleth has some pretty good avoid as Swordmaster and should be able to handle themselves. Edelgard can shrug off most physical damage and Dimitri is a good tank as well. Hilda is probably the most fragile frontliner, but she can dish out the damage and you can also reclass her into a flier. Ashe has the Sniper's additional bowrange and a very good battalion, Claude is the usual archer on a wyvern he's best at.

The main problem with the DLC guys is really that Yuri is the only one you'd use like that in the main game. Constance is Lysithea, but with Bolting, you'll want her as a Gremory as fast as possible. Hapi gets Physic, so not having any Faith magic is incredibly stupid. And Balthus is just better suited to War Master than War Cleric. Yuri is the only one who I'd use as his DLC class.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

why is that a problem

the side story is very clearly designed around the exact tools you have in it, just having them be something else wouldn't make it better (it would make it worse unless they redesigned everything)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Canopus250 posted:

The other question is if there is a certain weapon or battalion to use on the named golem in the 3rd mission. Nothing does anything to it that I seemed to have.

You're not supposed to fight the golem. You're supposed to run from it. It'll stop chasing you after you clear a certain benchmark on the map.

The trick to the map on hard mode (if you decided not to bump the difficulty down) is to use Claude's and Edelgard's battalions to stall big groups of enemies once they start clumping up in the narrow passages.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

you're thinking of the fourth mission. third is searching for the chalice.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Cloacamazing! posted:

The main problem with the DLC guys is really that Yuri is the only one you'd use like that in the main game. Constance is Lysithea, but with Bolting,

So not like Lysithea.

quote:

Hapi gets Physic, so not having any Faith magic is incredibly stupid.

They're intentionally limiting your healing options.

quote:

And Balthus is just better suited to War Master than War Cleric. Yuri is the only one who I'd use as his DLC class.

War Clerics a serviceable class in main game. Balthus doesn't mind being a grappler either and there's use to sending him through War Monk for a time in either case. War Master is not the sole endpoint for punchy people, and I don't understand where this comes from.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I'd say that war master is more an axe guy thing, but for punchmen grappler is amazing because of it's mastery combat art, in the same way that sniper can be worth sitting in for it's combat art, rather than going to bow knight.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

What class is edelgard in the screenshot? I can't remember ever seeing it in-game

https://twitter.com/Nintendeal/status/1320797828705206272

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Lord, it's an intermediate class and it looks amazing, but it doesn't really do anything or help her growths at all. Like if I'm going sword Edelgard (which I am), after getting death blow I want thief to try and pray for some more spd.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

all the leaders are so OP anyway that I always put them in Lord just for the looks.

E. well except that time i did mage edelgard for obvious reasons

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Fair enough, it is an incredible outfit, I just hate when my units lack speed.

mastering a class should've let you use their outfit in dress up. :colbert:

Eimi fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 26, 2020

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Lord is pretty useful for Dimitri to rush toward his Battalion Vantage/Wrath combo, but sort of lackluster for the others. Its mastery rewards are not very good.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Lord's Charm Access > The few points of speed you'd get from Thief. Especially early game.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Huh, never even thought about Lord Edelgard because it's a sword class and that's just wrong for the axe emperor.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It's an intermediate class which are all largely interchangable for each other because outside of archer's range +1 none of them have any weapon specialty skills

Edie can use an axe just as well in lord as in, say, brigand. Of course she won't be learning death blow but let's be real you probably have that from a previous file already if you really want it and she doesn't even need it on hard.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The good thing about Lord is all three lords have strengths in Swords and Reason so it's easy to qualify for if you want to.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I mean all the cases have a boost to skill rank acquisitions, so there's a matter of timing if you're aiming to beeline certain ranks, be it for combat arts, class requirements, prowess or other skills. As Zoran mentioned, Lord helps the, errr, Lords with their authority rank.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Lord is the only class where you can get the Subdue combat art for some reason as part of the class mastery. The other part is the Resistance +2 skill.

But yeah, Lord is very definitely a "I have enough renown to burn to get Edelgard/Dimitri/Claude the skills I want, so I'll just dump them in this class to hold them over until they hit level 20" kind of class. The class outfits for each of the trio do look nice, I'll admit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Rimusutera posted:

War Master is not the sole endpoint for punchy people, and I don't understand where this comes from.

Because 100% crit is hilarious