Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

hey chaps just browsing RT today and imagine my shock at seeing this, everyone's favourite arbiter of truth, immortalised in film : https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bellingcat_truth_in_a_post_truth_world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Z the IVth posted:

Countdown until some bright spark tries to nuke the channel crossing.

Can't have illegals crossing if the cliffs of Dover are glowing!
That'd be a great way of instantly creating a shitload of quicklime.

Maybe not great for the people that live there, but from a process engineering perspective it works, and 62% of people in Dover will probably be enthusiastic right up until it happens.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Is this... dialectics?
I think it is. I nearly slow cooked my brain trying to understand dialectics from Hegel, but then years later I realized that Hegel was mostly writing for an audience of his own ballsack and learned it from Steve Biko, who actually presents it properly.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

Idk why this meme format is always so effective at dismantling right-wing insanity.

American Chopper encouraged and rewarded the worst behaviour of already unpleasant people, which differs from our current political and media landscape in the following ways:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

That'd be a great way of instantly creating a shitload of quicklime.

This would also help with global warming as it absorbed carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. If we were really serious about combating climate change, well there are about 10 gigatons-worth of decommissioned nuclear warheads sitting around the place with nothing to do, and nobody particularly likes the Alps do they?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This would also help with global warming as it absorbed carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. If we were really serious about combating climate change, well there are about 10 gigatons-worth of decommissioned nuclear warheads sitting around the place with nothing to do, and nobody particularly likes the Alps do they?

Nuclear winter also works pretty well to cool stuff down. Maybe 1Gt per year for the next 10 years?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I was thinking massive volcanic eruption, but I don't know if we've developed the science to do that yet.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
To be honest the UK is so centralised you could probably nuke Manchester and the country would just carry on as if nothing happened. Would anybody in London really notice if HS2 just ended at a massive radioactive crater

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Please don't reveal the secret Tier 5 plans.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

To be honest the UK is so centralised you could probably nuke Manchester and the country would just carry on as if nothing happened. Would anybody in London really notice if HS2 just ended at a massive radioactive crater

Sorry, we're not spending money on the north. Those nukes don't come cheap.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

the sex ghost posted:

You could for real nuke the Highlands and 99% of the population wouldn't GAF.

The 1% being the queen.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

the sex ghost posted:

Separating London off into it's own city state nation would make everyone happy. The place is that much of a cancer to the rest of the nation and London doesn't care about anything not London so no one would lose anything.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Mugsbaloney posted:

hey chaps just browsing RT today and imagine my shock at seeing this, everyone's favourite arbiter of truth, immortalised in film : https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bellingcat_truth_in_a_post_truth_world

Initially mistook/misread RT as Russian Today, which was, uh, a bit jarring.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

kingturnip posted:

I was thinking massive volcanic eruption, but I don't know if we've developed the science to do that yet.

I reckon a gigaton or two artfully deployed around Yellowstone would do the trick.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Z the IVth posted:

You could for real nuke the Highlands

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Z the IVth posted:

You could for real nuke the Highlands and 99% of the population wouldn't GAF.

The 1% being the queen.

The queen is actually 660k people? No wonder she needs such a big house

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/ruskin147/status/1320268409435836416

But of course.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Failed Imagineer posted:

she's worth 660k times as much as a regular person why wouldn't she be considered to have 660k times as much importance?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

The Queen the actual person, the Crown the hat, the magic coronation stone, the stick that is in Parliament that makes it legal, and a few hundred thousand secret lizard children.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

It’s as if we’re trapped watching a reductio ad absurdum argument with the Conservative party, as someone tries ever more extreme examples to see if they can be tempted into normal human behaviour:

- Ok what if the country starts dying off from a deadly disease, would you spend on the poor then?
- what if the disease was highly infectious and could shut the economy down for years?
- what if actual children were starving to death?

And it’s all just bouncing off a wall of “the only people who actually exist are those whom I know personally.”

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ben Bradley: People exist?

Just realized that he looks like a poo poo photoshop of Brendan O'Neill.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Ben Bradley: People exist?

Just realized that he looks like a poo poo photoshop of Brendan O'Neill.

No that's Brendan O'Neill.

Bradley looks *exactly* like the young Al Murray when he was playing Harry Hill's brother Alan, except somehow with Al Murray playing the Pub Landlord - or rather the bits that stupid people laugh at in the Pub Landlord's shows - controlling things.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Failed Imagineer posted:

Idk why this meme format is always so effective at dismantling right-wing insanity.

https://twitter.com/soapachu/status/1320017297285795840?s=19

Is this... dialectics?

It's the modern socratic method

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1320315486412951552
Sir Haircut also saying he'll force another vote on free school meals before the Christmas break.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Starmer seems to have revealled his new slogan of 'the country needs new leadership' and even Facebook seems to have worked out the obvious reply of 'of the opposition, yes.'

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Lol Tory donors are scared that if they quarantine they might be considered resident in the UK

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Paypal heads up - but some of you might know this already:

if you change your Preferred Payment Method, and have "subscriptions" (eg a 3-yearly hosting plan renewal) - unless you manually change the method used to pay in that subscription (auto-payments eg annual renewals, recurring monthly payments etc), it will take the money from the account last used to pay that subscription. I changed mine to a credit card knowing that a bill for $515 was on the way, and my last couple of paypal payments have been taken from that credit card. All's well I thought.

Woke up on Friday morning to a text from one of my banks (I have more than one having been locked out of an account for 6 weeks when my debit card got wiped by a magnet - don't ask) to say 'insufficient funds' to pay the Paypal DD. Thankfully, I was able to move money across quite quickly. There is absolutely NOTHING on the paypal site to inform you that if you change your preferred payment method that it doesn't automatically apply to any 'subscriptions' and you have to do this manually.

Grrrrr - now I've had to pay over £400 out of savings instead of spreading them out on the credit card.

:guillotine: come the revolution etc.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/SundayTimesSco/status/1320296740877193216?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Was just looking at the lyrics of that Christmas song - some pertinent lines in there:

[quote]
It's Christmas time, and there's no need to be afraid
At Christmas time, we let in light and banish shade
And in our world of plenty, we can spread a smile of joy
Throw your arms around the world
At Christmas time

Where a kiss of love can kill you, and there's death in every tear
And the Christmas bells that ring there are the clanging chimes of doom
Well tonight we're reaching out and touching you

Why is to touch to be scared?

[quote]

How can covid know it's Christmas time at all?

(I doctored that last line there so I took it out of the quote).

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

jabby posted:

Sir Haircut also saying he'll force another vote on free school meals before the Christmas break.

He's such an opportunistic twat that even when the cause is good I immediately think "oh, gently caress off Starmer". Is it just me? If I say he's virtue signaling does it mean I'm turning into a gammon?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

first thought was that must just be a poo poo summary misrepresenting the article. Par for the course on Twitter.
But no, he really is that stupid.

quote:

So, what can we do? How can we bring some semblance of normality to a country afflicted by a global pandemic? Perhaps we should consider a Christmas “circuit breaker”. A 24-hour lifting of restrictions on gatherings and celebrations, a break in the war on Covid, just like the pause in the First World War on the Western Front in 1914, when the British and German troops laid down their guns and met in no man’s land to celebrate Christmas.
Jesus wept
"just like" except actually he means "complete opposite" because in reality the virus can't be negotiated with and can't agree to cease spreading for a day.
unilaterally giving up is not the same as bilateral agreement of an armistice.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Hellooooo I am Lord Richie Bankerton I require exemption from your rules for to go on important "business trips" for to make lots and lots and lots of "great deals" :monocle::heysexy:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
the kirke within this kingdome is now purged of all superstitious observatione of dayes... thairfor the saidis estatis have dischairged and simply dischairges the foirsaid Yule vacance and all observation thairof in tymecomeing, and rescindis and annullis all acts, statutis and warrandis and ordinances whatsoevir granted at any tyme heirtofoir for keiping of the said Yule vacance, with all custome of observatione thairof, and findis and declaires the samene to be extinct, voyd and of no force nor effect in tymecomeing.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

ObamaAkbar. posted:

https://twitter.com/ajenglish/status/1320262570134114304?s=21

I wonder what the government will say to this, the nuclear non-proliferation treaty is an absolute joke so I can see them just ignoring this new treaty as well.

Somewhere a gammon becomes redder, angry that the UN cowards won't vapourise children.

The ball starts rolling on UNxit 2025

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's 2030 and Britain begins drilling to dislodge itself from mainland Earth to become an orbital platform. UN ambassadors have been expelled from the country for their repeated and negative pleas. James Dyson admonishes the naysayers doubting the cyclonic engines being fitted to rural Berkshire, from the safety of his australian residence.

It's 2040 and parts of Britain are still raining down over Scotland. Europe is under the effects of a nuclear winter, which has gone largely un-noticed in Scotland. A Cthonic palace of non-euclidean design has been unearthed as Britain splits itself down the middle. The British diaspora annexes the Spanish coast.

It's 2050 and god emperor Biden declares war on Atlantis...

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 25, 2020

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Cerv posted:

Jesus wept
"just like" except actually he means "complete opposite" because in reality the virus can't be negotiated with and can't agree to cease spreading for a day.
unilaterally giving up is not the same as bilateral agreement of an armistice.

Just like the Christmas Armistice, except if one side stayed in the trenches and kept firing while the other lot got massacred.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Christmas day, all prepared for another day of lockdown, when suddenly a sound came from outside. Some idiot singing carols in their garden, we thought, until we realised where it was coming from. One of the roaming coronavirus clouds we normally saw lurking around the high street had gathered in the middle of the road, but instead of sticking to our doorknobs each little virus was just floating there, singing its heart out in a message of christmas cheer. A few of us opened our windows a smidgen and sung back, and they stayed there, just singing louder. We shouted a few christmas greetings back and forth, and then Percy from no. 36 ventured out into his garden and left a little glass of sherry at the gate. A couple of the viruses floated over and thanked him. Soon entire households were venturing out, exchanging presents and swapping stories. The most infectious particles shook hands with our top germaphobe, Suzie from no.20, going maskless for the first time since February. I don't know which side started the football match, but soon everyone was joining in. We lost track of the score before long. We had all gotten tired of keeping track of numbers. We had all gotten tired of fighting. We did not know why we had to kill and infect each other. We all just wanted to return back to normal.

Still, it couldn't last forever. As we bid our goodbyes and retired home, word came in from Mean Grinchy Nicola that anyone caught fraternising with coronaviruses from tomorrow onward would be shot. We later learned that similar orders came down from the Chief Coronavirus himself, forbidding all non-infectious contact with human persons. It was inevitable. Society could never allow humankind and deadly viral infections to coexist peacefully. It was not to be. But each Christmas, I think about that day, and what could have been.

Angepain fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 25, 2020

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

He's going to set up the Smallpox Liberation Front next.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

A couple of covid virions were just on New 24 announcing that they would respect any truce and would agree to stand down for Christmas day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I was just looking up the Free Presbyterians (I have some idea they are one of the Scottish Christian denominations that does not do Christmas) and found that their website 'closes' for the Sabbath (today). So every link in the menu that you click takes you back to the 'closed' message. I wonder if they've configured the site to do that automatically or whether they have doctored a 'down for maintenance' page or whether an actual human sits there at 23:55 on a Saturday night changing it all?

Just a curiosity!