Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

ChestNut posted:

Adding a pronunciation info to those lovely Finnish words could be nice? :confuoot: I go crazy for the lore, but look away in terror when attempting to read (dumbdumb is me)

I feel like a shaman baller when certain environmental accidents go exactly my way though :cool:

I wish I could since all the names are hilarious in finnish (I'm a native as well). But we pronounce everything like it's written, kinda like in japanese so I'm unsure about english phonetic advice. The enemy names are mostly descriptive of what they are / do. Kiu-kuh-my-kyh is directly translated "a blob of anger".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

personally i'm just never quite sure what to do with accent marks, never learned it :v:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I really don't know what goes on in my brain when I decide to test shoot an earthquake shot in the middle of hissi base when I already got a pretty perfect build going on. I mean. why.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ciaphas posted:

personally i'm just never quite sure what to do with accent marks, never learned it :v:

Nothing to it. Ä is pronounced pretty much like the A in cat, man, dad, bad, rad, sad, fad etc.

Ö is pronounced kind of like the I sound in "dirt" or "bird".

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I really don't know what goes on in my brain when I decide to test shoot an earthquake shot in the middle of hissi base when I already got a pretty perfect build going on. I mean. why.

I cast the "summon wand" spell in the Hiisi base once. It summoned a wand with the Earthquake spell, which promptly caused an earthquake, which nearly killed me and did kill the wand. So I went and picked it up and used it. And that earthquake killed me. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I cast the "summon wand" spell in the Hiisi base once. It summoned a wand with the Earthquake spell, which promptly caused an earthquake, which nearly killed me and did kill the wand. So I went and picked it up and used it. And that earthquake killed me. :v:

My bad habit that's doing me no favors in getting wins: exploding every explodable container that I can along the way

Look, I like the freedom to move okay!!!

ChestNut
Oct 20, 2009

You want some tablets?

TeaJay posted:

I wish I could since all the names are hilarious in finnish (I'm a native as well). But we pronounce everything like it's written, kinda like in japanese so I'm unsure about english phonetic advice. The enemy names are mostly descriptive of what they are / do. Kiu-kuh-my-kyh is directly translated "a blob of anger".

Well, heck, guess that makes it worth my while. Looking up what they literally mean would be funny enough.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

emanresu tnuocca posted:

:thatsnoita:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
New cause of death: an enemy managed to tag me with a wand that stuck a personal gravity field on me, making it basically impossible for me to fight and most of my wands horribly dangerous to me. That...doesn't seem to ever time out, does it?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Supradog posted:

adding lightning arcs without being explosion and lightning immune is always such a great idea.

iirc that lightning arc modifier doesn't actually electrify anything, it just explodes a lot

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

New cause of death: an enemy managed to tag me with a wand that stuck a personal gravity field on me, making it basically impossible for me to fight and most of my wands horribly dangerous to me. That...doesn't seem to ever time out, does it?

It does, it just takes something like a full minute or two.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

you know it's going to be either a very short or very good run when you load into a new game and hear two nearby explosions

(e) Think I might try gamepad again... I remember it having an easier time with hovering and fighting than I'm having with keyboard, mouse aim or no

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I disabled hovering with W because it kept loving me up, might be worth trying if that was your problem with the control scheme.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I jump with space because I'm used to that in other games, and I switched kick to W because my finger's right there so I might as well use it for something. I've heard of people putting kick or throw on extra mouse buttons too. I put the wand I'm using the most right next to potions/items, then scrollwheel between wand and my most used item (water flask or tablet), and my wands go from right to left with most dangerous and explosive at far left which really helps to avoid self explosions. My stubby fingers can't reach the number keys fast enough so I rely on scrolling which in the heat of battle is sometimes not very accurate.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

ChestNut posted:

Well, heck, guess that makes it worth my while. Looking up what they literally mean would be funny enough.

The wiki has translations for just about all of them! Most of them are funny in how literal they are. Also, yet another shoutout to Goki mod, which has an option that shows enemy names when you mouse over them like the game does with materials

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

ChestNut posted:

Adding a pro·nun·ci·a·tion info to those lovely Finnish words could be nice?
I'd pay good money for a dlc to have game shout out the name of my cause of death in the voice of a grumpy finnish guy like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7_pVrIshxA

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I added some mods and I think I am enjoying the game a bit more now.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2182627060

Edit wands everywhere, because that's the point of the game.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2006631283

Health drops, configured at 10% rate, 10hp, 1 max HP per drop, which extends survivability and also kinda works like an XP system in that every drop you pick up increases your max health by 1, so there's another reason to fight things.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2263080245

Noitavania, which makes the map a lot more interconnected and (apparently) adds some new biomes, so you can cross between areas more and just generally makes exploration more interesting.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
"Oh hey, what's this weird light? Lemme go see wha-"

https://i.imgur.com/WsGC9lc.mp4

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Hisii coming over to see how well their noita zapper worked

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The blast radius on bombs with glass cannon is really really big

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

2x glass cannon (or more!) on a nuke is pretty hard on the game, but it’s a heck of a thing to see if it doesn’t crash.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Scratch that, still too much stupid poo poo where the interface kills you. Why do I have to use the loving number keys to avoid electrocuting myself? Is the game experience enhanced by making the mouse wheel loving unusable if you have certain items?

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Scratch that, still too much stupid poo poo where the interface kills you. Why do I have to use the loving number keys to avoid electrocuting myself? Is the game experience enhanced by making the mouse wheel loving unusable if you have certain items?

How are you getting killed by scrolling your mouse wheel? What items are causing that?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Sailor Dave posted:

How are you getting killed by scrolling your mouse wheel? What items are causing that?

if you have thunderstone or a wand with lightning stuff on it it will shock you if you are standing in water or other liquids

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jsoh posted:

if you have thunderstone or a wand with lightning stuff on it it will shock you if you are standing in water or other liquids

I thought the thunderstone made you impervious to shocks as long as you had it out.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
not that this totally sidesteps that situation but I have bound my "slot 5" key to shift, so I can press shift to go right over to my non-wand items. also that's always where my water bottle is so I can quickly press shift and drizzle on my feet to put myself out/clean myself off.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I was watching a FuryForged video on Noita and learned that you can use concentrated mana potion to melt steel. :psyduck:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

dyzzy posted:

Hisii coming over to see how well their noita zapper worked

:lol:

Angry_Ed posted:

I thought the thunderstone made you impervious to shocks as long as you had it out.

If you're quickly scrolling through your items you can draw it out long enough for it to start an electrich shock, but put it away fast enough that it hasn't dissipated yet, so it comes back and zaps your rear end.

On the other hand maybe don't carry around extremely dangerous items :thunk:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Lol someone posted that like a page ago and i just assumed it was a "melts steel beams" joke

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zamujasa posted:

If you're quickly scrolling through your items you can draw it out long enough for it to start an electrich shock, but put it away fast enough that it hasn't dissipated yet, so it comes back and zaps your rear end.

On the other hand maybe don't carry around extremely dangerous items :thunk:

Fair point in fact I'm pretty sure that happened to me at least once

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

TeaJay posted:

I was watching a FuryForged video on Noita and learned that you can use concentrated mana potion to melt steel. :psyduck:

So thats how 9/11 happened...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

OwlFancier posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2263080245

Noitavania, which makes the map a lot more interconnected and (apparently) adds some new biomes, so you can cross between areas more and just generally makes exploration more interesting.

Does this actually add any ‘vania-style adventure/progress elements or is it just an improved map?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

goferchan posted:

Don't cast Personal Lightning Thrower on the target dummy statue in the holy mountain exit

Also: don't put Bounce + Healing Bolts on a wand with Always Casts: Personal Fireball Thrower :gibs:

edit: Interesting shop to find in the Mines, with Chainsaws+triggerbolt in the first holy mountiain.

Not pictured: getting crazy-good perk luck and steamrolling the rest of the game. But "winning" is boring so instead I made this abomination to try shooting around corners and for easy spammable trick-kills.

...which annihilated pretty much everything except flying enemies in big open areas. Auto-aim on Unstable Crystal is apparently really good at indirect fire, so long as your delivery system isn't garbage, and manage not to blow yourself up.

Seed: 645593345

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 26, 2020

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I had an interesting experience with putting the fire modifier on bouncy shot. At least I died warm after lighting myself on fire and being unable to find water.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Is there something that gives immunity to the gas canisters in hiisi base? I think those kill me more than enemies there tend to, lol

I would assume explosion, but then it's like...not fire explosions, so idk?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

Is there something that gives immunity to the gas canisters in hiisi base? I think those kill me more than enemies there tend to, lol

I would assume explosion, but then it's like...not fire explosions, so idk?

explosion immunity would help a lot, but there's no immunity for the freezing vapor - you just have to stay out of the cloud as best you can

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

new perk ignites nearby vapours

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

resistentialism posted:

new perk ignites nearby vapours

This will light you on fire with enough vapor.

Trust me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

Does this actually add any ‘vania-style adventure/progress elements or is it just an improved map?

No, it seems to just add alternate passages through/between areas, and a couple of new areas. Some of them are rather roughly integrated though and I noticed a bit of disjointedness around some of the transitions, though the game sometimes is like that anyway, up to you how much it bothers you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I kind of want a mod where you don't know what a spell is until you shoot it. Like it would just show a "?" or something as the icon and mouse-over text.

I guess I could make a load out to start with no wand editing and wand experimenter, which I might try now that I mention it. I just kinda find it fun to use what wands you stumble onto. Might need some other starting perks to help balance it out, though.