Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

scary ghost dog posted:

rereading b.p.r.d. and hellboy. i think its pretty amusing that even the del toro films, which are pretty good movies, completely change the way hellboy acts as a character. i also think its amusing that the second movie has him team up with johann kraus, a character hellboy never met in the comics. i understand that the recent movie adapted hellboy: the wild hunt, but had hellboy still be a member of the bprd and partnered with ben daimyo, when during the events of that comic he had left the bprd a decade prior and never even knew daimyo existed. these are some of the best comics ive ever read btw

Yeah the movies are definitely different beasts. I wasn't a big fan of the Del Toro films at first but they've grown on me, I really dig the way they handled Hellboy and Professor Bruttenholm. Sometimes I think Mike Mignola threw away too much potential in the comics when he offed some characters immediately, some of the best Hellboy stories feature Bruttenholm. The most recent one was just way too rushed and gruesome for my liking.

Still waiting on my comic shop to get The Devil You Know Omnibus, haven't read it yet but have been spoilered here and there.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Yeah the movies are definitely different beasts. I wasn't a big fan of the Del Toro films at first but they've grown on me, I really dig the way they handled Hellboy and Professor Bruttenholm. Sometimes I think Mike Mignola threw away too much potential in the comics when he offed some characters immediately, some of the best Hellboy stories feature Bruttenholm. The most recent one was just way too rushed and gruesome for my liking.

Still waiting on my comic shop to get The Devil You Know Omnibus, haven't read it yet but have been spoilered here and there.

Coming off of the del Toro films and seeing Bruttenholm die and Hellboy leave the B.P.R.D. at the end of the first major storyline was a huge shock to me as a teen. The comics are so much lonelier than the films and I never expected that.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

JordanKai posted:

Coming off of the del Toro films and seeing Bruttenholm die and Hellboy leave the B.P.R.D. at the end of the first major storyline was a huge shock to me as a teen. The comics are so much lonelier than the films and I never expected that.

Yeah, like I said again I think Mike Mignola, if he went back to change things, probably would've kept Bruttenholm around a while longer, maybe at least until V5 when Hellboy leaves BPRD.

A direct, super-faithful adaptation of the Hellboy series would work best as a streaming episodic series, as opposed to a movie. It's very Lofcraftian with a lot of self-contained stories. Movies will never capture that essence as well as a TV series might.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I picked up the first two issues of Friday from Panel Syndicate and it's interesting so far. It's a sort of Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys grow up and move on story by Ed Brubaker with art by Marcos Martin. Pay what you want too!

http://panelsyndicate.com/comics/friday

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Oh, I didn't know #2 was out. I enjoyed the first very much, great mood and it's Brubaker playing in a genre space I have a lot of lingering fondness for.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm going to trade-wait on it and just buy it that way. Brubaker and Martin is definitely my poo poo.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Anyone check out Department of Truth this week? It's James Tynion's new Image book and I liked the first issue.

I just got my pull list delivered for the month and I really liked it. The art style definitely grew on me as the issue went on as well.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Avatar is doing a kickstarter only direct sale for the hc of alan moores Lovecraft thing providence. I pledged, it's like 600% funded already as you'd imagine so not exactly a risk.
The timing was such that I was almost done convincing myself I was done collecting the guys work so I'm telling myself I had no choice...

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I feel like the enthusiasm for Black Hammer petered out awhile ago, but the new Colonel Weird series is off to a good start. Tyler Crook is a great fit on art, and the reality-bending storyline is up my alley.

Colonel Weird has seen some poo poo.

Sex Criminals went out on a fairly pleasant note. I'll have to re-read it now that it's finished, though.

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020

I feel like the enthusiasm for Black Hammer petered out awhile ago, but the new Colonel Weird series is off to a good start. Tyler Crook is a great fit on art, and the reality-bending storyline is up my alley.

Colonel Weird has seen some poo poo.

Sex Criminals went out on a fairly pleasant note. I'll have to re-read it now that it's finished, though.

I picked up the fourth volume of BH a few days ago, looking forward to reading. (Admittedly, I'm late to the party.)

Will definitely check out Colonel Weird; thanks for the mention.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So Wicked Things 6 dropped today, and I've kind of got mixed feelings about it. It was fun seeing Lottie and the police cooperating willingly but I was kind of disappointed that Bulldog was trying to use Lottie. Also while I didn't see the ending coming were Miyamoto exonerates Lottie but then dies (I was anticipating possibly one or the other but not both). I hope we get a sequel where Lottie works to find the real killer, now that she is no longer in the custody of the police.

Also from Allison's instagram it looks like he's working on a short comic featuring Lottie and Mildred that appears to be set pre Wicked Things

There's also another pic that I'm going to post in the webcomics thread.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The_Other posted:

So Wicked Things 6 dropped today, and I've kind of got mixed feelings about it. It was fun seeing Lottie and the police cooperating willingly but I was kind of disappointed that Bulldog was trying to use Lottie. Also while I didn't see the ending coming were Miyamoto exonerates Lottie but then dies (I was anticipating possibly one or the other but not both). I hope we get a sequel where Lottie works to find the real killer, now that she is no longer in the custody of the police.

I've had mixed feelings about Wicked Things starting with the second issue. The way the murder mystery faded into the background didn't feel right to me, and the whole story felt very meandering, like Allison thought he really was going to get more issues.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

scary ghost dog posted:

what does, bprd? hellboy? the movies? genuinely unsure who youre referring to lol
edit: ah, the guy who wrote “the devil you know,” the most disappointing finale i could have imagined. well, i cant say im surprised

As a long term HB/BPRD reader, I pretty much stopped with Hellboy in Hell. The image of the new garden made me cry, the whole thing was pure Mignola, and I genuinely just went stopped following the present day stories.

Also I thought BPRD vs Black Flame in NYC was much too like a cape comics crossover at the time and as much as I wanted to see Varvara go nuts, I was losing enthusiasm for the writing when just one of the seven appeared. It felt like the apocalyptic fervor of the original War on Frogs and Hell on Earth stories had been lost, and we ended up with too much generic action and too little weird dreamy pulp adventure.

Also Scott A was, even before we knew he was a sex pest, a terrible writer for the Abe Sapien ongoing in terms of characterization and it killed my interest in the retooled Abe.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
New Terry Moore 10 issue announced starting in Jan. I kept missing his stuff in monthly so I signed up for a ten issue subscription with abstract directly.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Also Scott A was, even before we knew he was a sex pest, a terrible writer for the Abe Sapien ongoing in terms of characterization and it killed my interest in the retooled Abe.

:sigh: Yeah.

At least he left the series afterwards. BPRD 1950s is pretty darn good without him.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 8, 2020

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

JordanKai posted:

At least he left the series afterwards. BPRD 1950s is pretty darn good without him.

i didnt know this existed and im excited to read it

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

JordanKai posted:

1950s looks great.
Are there any of the prequel stories that involve Abe? It would be great to have some more of his character from before he got ruined.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Too lazy for piracy, I waited until Paper Girls v6 was half-off on Comixology.

Well, it's over. I honestly don't think the ending matched the grandeur (okay, absurdity) of giant fighting tardigrades, and the resolution was too quickly done, but it was a fun ride. Though the section with four separate conversations stacked vertically in wide panels, with a double-page spread also, made me wish I was reading it physically instead.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Andrigaar posted:

Too lazy for piracy, I waited until Paper Girls v6 was half-off on Comixology.

Well, it's over. I honestly don't think the ending matched the grandeur (okay, absurdity) of giant fighting tardigrades, and the resolution was too quickly done, but it was a fun ride. Though the section with four separate conversations stacked vertically in wide panels, with a double-page spread also, made me wish I was reading it physically instead.

You gotta check out Hoopla.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Cloks posted:

You gotta check out Hoopla.

No dice. Made an account, but my county isn't part of their system.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Joe Slowboat posted:

1950s looks great.
Are there any of the prequel stories that involve Abe? It would be great to have some more of his character from before he got ruined.

I have to check when I get home, but I think V1 of the Abe Omnibuses is all his prequel comics, like "The Devil Does Not Jest" and such.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I have to check when I get home, but I think V1 of the Abe Omnibuses is all his prequel comics, like "The Devil Does Not Jest" and such.

Might have to go for that, then, because I always loved him before Hell on Earth. A good foil to HB and a good character on his own. Honestly, ever since he got further transformed the Oannes Club mystery and his character both felt sort of stumbling and lost. Not just in the literal ‘wandering around’ story structure but in what the story was saying about him as a character.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Ed Brisson's got a new crime comic KS with Lisandro Estherren (REDNECK) that looks pretty sweet- https://twitter.com/edbrisson/status/1328717120981655553?s=20

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I broke my never monthly rule again and ordered both issues (pred 2 next month) of A Girl Walks Home At Night..hoping they don't get canceled..thing sold out like crazy

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think it's sorta important to go monthly for indie books your excited about, if the floppies don't sell they get canceled, whereas there's never going to be a time Marvel isn't selling Spider-Man and DC isn't selling Batman.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Skwirl posted:

I think it's sorta important to go monthly for indie books your excited about, if the floppies don't sell they get canceled, whereas there's never going to be a time Marvel isn't selling Spider-Man and DC isn't selling Batman.

i feel you

i don't really follow any real indies in that sense, like funded on kickstarter style..the terry moore ten issue is through abstract which is pretty much his own label, its coming out no matter what and on his own timeframe i'm sure

this thing from behemoth is a 2 issue limited based on a popular movie by the director of the movie and as far as i can tell sold out in every LCS not just in my area..so, I think it did well to the point where they have a trade previewed already for jan right as the book finishes..that i also ordered. if anything people are driving up the value and hype for this thing for one variant cover...so whatever, i'm jazzed cuz it looks sick and the movie was fantastic. hell if they show up clean enough i might slab em! why not.

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

]Heres comes a wild chalen-gerlrllr~

Came in second by a long mile to DC issue 1000, but secretly smoked Marvel 1000

I'm gonna check in here often to see folks takes on the other iMAGE stuff, considering its no longer 5 guys going door to door and making stuff up about it being a best selling comic publishing company and finally IS.

Skybound is apparently Kirkman's company which releases comics through Image. They have a few other imprints and I've never really been sure of what the difference was.

Correct! I was too busy to manage a fictional comic universe, and finally summarized what actually goes on.

Spawn, Savage Dragon, Witchblade, Invincible, Saga, and Postal.

I was looking thru some very, very old marvel comics for inspiration, and thought up things like "well maybe Conan takes place in the savage land from the x-men" so, there ya have it.

Insert a Name Here fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 18, 2020

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Savage Dragon 253 is getting a third printing. Last time that happened was the Obama cover.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking of Saga, has there been any word when it's going to come back? Just realized it's been on hiatus for about two and a half years now.

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

]Heres comes a wild chalen-gerlrllr~

Chairman Capone posted:

Speaking of Saga, has there been any word when it's going to come back? Just realized it's been on hiatus for about two and a half years now.

Thanks for asking. The writers and artists for that are on haitus to focus on real life stuff. It was never a serious emergency or anything, just things moving on up to their own house. It might be back in the middle of next year.

ruddiger posted:

Savage Dragon 253 is getting a third printing. Last time that happened was the Obama cover.

Lee and Ditko sure argued over politics in comics a lot, but they were smart enough to not be so obvious. Apparently "Bomb Queen" sells well for the same reason.

Btw, I found a lil something

Vampirella has been under iMAGE twice. It's almost a huge pain in the rear end for even me to figure out some of these copywrites. "Top cow, iMAGE...Harris???" I'm entirely confident how to meld the "horror hostess from outer pace" into the main world, but I gotta top off "Venegence" first.

It was made by my grandparents and I inherited the license, and I don't wanna draw and write it but also apparently all the stuff they taught me(which pisses a LOT of people off) builds a surge in me that goes "yknow what its better for people for this to exist than not."

Insert a Name Here fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 18, 2020

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Insert a Name Here posted:

Lee and Ditko sure argued over politics in comics a lot, but they were smart enough to not be so obvious. Apparently "Bomb Queen" sells well for the same reason.

Whoops, meant 252 in that post.

Savage Dragon 253 is getting a 2nd reprint as well since the Joe Biden endorsement cover sold out. Larsen’s going back to press with a slightly tweaked cover (different color bg, new word balloon for Malcolm congratulating the president elect). I was just surprised 252 has gotten as much love as it has, the salute to the classic funnies was a fun experiment that looks like it paid off.

Erik just posted the cover for 258 too, I’m loving the retro image header.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 18, 2020

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I'll be honest I checked out Savage Dragon 250 and it was uhhhh pretty weird with a lot of sex stuff in it that I just didn't really need. I wanted to like Savage Dragon but maybe its just not for me.

Anyone check this book out this week? Scout Comics The Recount. Super timely of course, very violent. https://bleedingcool.com/comics/the-recount-1-comic-published-right-after-presidential-election/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol is that a cgate book

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

site posted:

Lol is that a cgate book

I don't think so

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

muggins posted:

I don't think so

Looks terrible whoever created it.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I ordered idws sea of sorrows, the art looked fantastic and I'm a sucker for an underwater horror book ala the abyss. If this is decent and I follow it monthly this better not be the gateway.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Looks terrible whoever created it.

It's getting good reviews, I dunno

http://www.panelpatter.com/2020/11/separating-non-fiction-from-fiction-in.html

I thought it was interesting

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

muggins posted:

It's getting good reviews, I dunno

http://www.panelpatter.com/2020/11/separating-non-fiction-from-fiction-in.html

I thought it was interesting

That's a very badly written review from a website I've never heard of before.

Are you John Hedrick?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Scout Comics did not ring a bell but I browsed their website real quick and they've done some things I've enjoyed or heard good things about. I like Kristen Gudsnuk and thought Henchgirl was a cute enough comic (although when I read it it was in a TPB put out by Dark Horse), the handful of issues of Heavenly Blues I read were a little boring but very pretty (although again I read them from a different publisher), and I believe there is at least one person on BSS who has posted interesting stuff about Phantom Starkiller. I don't see any reason to think that it's a Comicsgate publisher and from what little I could find about The Re-Count it certainly doesn't look like it's in support of Proud Boy types.

I'm not saying it looks good-- that initial blurb definitely made me roll my eyes, and it isn't on Comixology so I guess I'll never know if I actually like it or not-- but I think some of you are jumping the gun a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Yea, I read that blurb multiple times and couldn't figure out the perspective it was being told from initially, if even now.

[Slaps some fingers into Googles]
Actually, the announcement/teaser from May on the publisher's own website does a better job. It's a female agent and a female VP from opposing (and unstated) political perspectives just trying to survive some insane shitstorm by a conspiracy group called "The Masses".

Looks like a series of coincidences from 6+ months ago are lining up to make it look worse than it is.