Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

They must be continually training pilots for these things. All the guys I knew that used to fly them when they were decommed are WELL retired now.

Wikipedia says they flew until 2008, so maybe there's a few pilots still around that are rated for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Question, the fellow in the video plays it fast and loose with the radio for a minute there (understandably so). Is that a violation of some FAA regulation or the like? Even if it is I’d assume he’d get a pass.

Also, what are the consequences for numb nuts with his radio down and transponder off?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

They must be continually training pilots for these things. All the guys I knew that used to fly them when they were decommed are WELL retired now.

They've kept flying them around Nellis despite being retired. Dunno if its civilian or military pilots, it could very well be the same retired guys as civilians.

Theres been many documented instances of them flying around Area 51. They're probably doing testing of radars, but of course alien technology cannot be completely ruled out :tinfoil:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Warbird posted:

Also, what are the consequences for numb nuts with his radio down and transponder off?

I bet he didn't have the volume down, he just didn't know what to say.

"Yeah, we had the volume down, miss anything important? By the way I'm sorry for what I just did."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

They've kept flying them around Nellis despite being retired. Dunno if its civilian or military pilots, it could very well be the same retired guys as civilians.

Theres been many documented instances of them flying around Area 51. They're probably doing testing of radars, but of course alien technology cannot be completely ruled out :tinfoil:

That must be a pretty sweet gig. Fly a cool plane, get out or retire, and keep flying it for testing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Warbird posted:

Question, the fellow in the video plays it fast and loose with the radio for a minute there (understandably so). Is that a violation of some FAA regulation or the like? Even if it is I’d assume he’d get a pass.

There aren't really regulations about being a cowboy on the radio. The AIM has standard procedures and phraseology, but it isn't illegal to use the wrongs words or different terms, and the AIM in fact explicitly says that you should use whatever words you need to be sure your message is understood. Brevity and regulatory compliance come second to understanding.

The closest you get to a specific ruling is a line that says "jargon, chatter, and CB slang have no place in ATC communications" -- so when you hear someone pretending to be a fighter pilot and saying "no joy" instead of "negative contact" you can roll your eyes at them. But even that gets bent; I've had little chitchats with the tower while flying the pattern alone early in the morning, and you'll find plenty of examples of similar things on YouTube.

If you wanna be totally picky about it, his initial startled call of "jesus christ, felt like he was right in my loving cockpit" was unnecessary, but I think everyone understands why that happened. The later call of "get it together, my friend", a minute after the incident is over, is catty and just clutters up the airwaves, and should not have been made. At least keep your finger off the button if you gotta rant.

As for the other guy, a couple of things going on:

- His transponder is not working. SMO is in the LAX mode C veil, so he needs both a mode C transponder and ADS-B. Not sure if this is the first circuit since they started having problems but it was a violation for him to take off if it was a known issue.
- He was told to follow the Cirrus on 7-mile final, so it is his responsibility to do that. He didn't. This is a violation of an ATC command. 7 miles is pretty far out to be looking, but if you are told to follow an airplane and you don't see it, you don't just shrug and do what you want!! You report negative contact, keep flying your downwind or whatever and keep looking around. Once you report the plane in sight, tower will say something like "follow that Cirrus, cleared to land number 2." That's when you make you turn.
- SMO is a class D airport where maintaining two-way radio communications is required. Turning the volume down so you can't hear the tower is a violation of that regulation.

So overall the Cirrus guy has a bit of an attitude (wow, from a guy wearing a Cirrus shirt?) but the other guy probably violated more than one regulation and "we're done for the day" is about the nicest way the tower could have phrased it.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 23, 2020

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I appreciate the beakdown, thanks!

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Humphreys posted:

Dammit, I was kinda hoping they were going to restore it to operational or use it to rebuild.

The CNN article mixes up 2 different Ekranoplans, both of which had only 1 copy of built.

The Caspian Sea Monster was the earlier one, slightly bigger, 10 engines (8 in the front and a pair on the vertical stabilizer) and severe dihedral on the horizontal stabilizer. It was in an accident and sank.

The Lun class was later, smaller, 8 engines, flat horizontal stabilizer, and all the angled missile tubes on top. This is the one has sat on the water and recently towed.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Spaced God posted:

Have some F117 coming back from mysterious poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtYgAuMmGSI
I'm just glad to see them flying.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Going back a bit, but this is the most beautiful use of an Allison 1710 there ever was. That old man is a JRR Tolkien class wizard, good lord below

My favorite part is that he wanted to build one. So he got the plans and called his buddy "who can build anything."

Haha, hoping to get there some day.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Sagebrush posted:

As for the other guy, a couple of things going on:

- His transponder is not working. SMO is in the LAX mode C veil, so he needs both a mode C transponder and ADS-B. Not sure if this is the first circuit since they started having problems but it was a violation for him to take off if it was a known issue.
- He was told to follow the Cirrus on 7-mile final, so it is his responsibility to do that. He didn't. This is a violation of an ATC command. 7 miles is pretty far out to be looking, but if you are told to follow an airplane and you don't see it, you don't just shrug and do what you want!! You report negative contact, keep flying your downwind or whatever and keep looking around. Once you report the plane in sight, tower will say something like "follow that Cirrus, cleared to land number 2." That's when you make you turn.
- SMO is a class D airport where maintaining two-way radio communications is required. Turning the volume down so you can't hear the tower is a violation of that regulation.

My interpretation of N5148V's situation is they were trying to fix their transponder in mid-air, so probably cycling their avionics switch. The "right way" to do that, so I've been told, is to shut everything off one by one, and then toggle the avionics switch. The radio on/off is probably also the radio volume knob.

Definitely, turning your radio off or fiddily-loving around while you're in pattern is a bad idea. The right move would be to go "ok, my ADS-B doesn't work, I'm going to make a full-stop landing and fix it". But I could see how a low hours pilot could swiss cheese their way into a situation where they've turned down their radio volume / turned off their radio trying to troubleshoot the transponder.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Rudest Buddhist posted:

My favorite part is that he wanted to build one. So he got the plans and called his buddy "who can build anything."

Haha, hoping to get there some day.

That's the dream. I want a P-51D one day. I don't need a real one, but a fake one would be good enough.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Safety Dance posted:

My interpretation of N5148V's situation is they were trying to fix their transponder in mid-air, so probably cycling their avionics switch. The "right way" to do that, so I've been told, is to shut everything off one by one, and then toggle the avionics switch. The radio on/off is probably also the radio volume knob.

Definitely, turning your radio off or fiddily-loving around while you're in pattern is a bad idea. The right move would be to go "ok, my ADS-B doesn't work, I'm going to make a full-stop landing and fix it". But I could see how a low hours pilot could swiss cheese their way into a situation where they've turned down their radio volume / turned off their radio trying to troubleshoot the transponder.

Good connection, I didn't make that one when first looking at the vid. This would have been the first link in the accident chain.

"You know how to keep a hardon?

Don't gently caress with it."

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Cojawfee posted:

That's the dream. I want a P-51D one day. I don't need a real one, but a fake one would be good enough.

"What machine tooling did you use for the beautiful airplane you and your buddy built in your garage?"
"Tooling? ...do you mean my fingers?"

Wizard.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Titan T-51s are getting popular
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2BdPx-Yjy4

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

3/4 scale and an ultralight engine? How am I going to pour lead on Jerry while diving out of the sun at 400mph with an ultralight engine?

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 24, 2020

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
If I can’t disrupt civil air at 30,000 feet, who cares?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

and a low hours pilot doing that while also supposedly scanning for another plane, planning for the landing etc...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Munin posted:

and a low hours pilot doing that while also supposedly scanning for another plane, planning for the landing etc...

Yep. Could have ended a lot worse. Hopefully it's a learning experience for 48V.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FWIW the Cirrus also outright said "I wasn't scanning"

VFR see and avoid goes both ways, even if you've been cleared for landing

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Woopsie.

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1320061604063514628

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Texan went down in a neighborhood outside of Mobile. Crew didn’t make it out.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/23/us/plane-crash-alabama-trnd/index.html

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

Warbird posted:

Texan went down in a neighborhood outside of Mobile. Crew didn’t make it out.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/23/us/plane-crash-alabama-trnd/index.html

It's an ejection-seat aircraft, the crew was most likely trying to guide it away from civilians. Luckily no civilian casualties. RIP brothers.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Sad

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

With the cost being relative peanuts, why aren't airports blanketed with cameras to catch takeoffs and landings?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Pretty pro-click video of a Skycrane pilot's POV dropping water on fires - the banter with his co-pilot and the ground crews are included as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_jd6340wwY

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh boy...he's really going forwards with "the oscillations are caused by turbulence in the wheel wells"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YM8DCojapI

also he decided that the overheating issue is just from tuning, not having the turbochargers installed out of order like the Audi diesel engineer said, so he poked at some ECU values and called it good

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Sagebrush posted:

Oh boy...he's really going forwards with "the oscillations are caused by turbulence in the wheel wells"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YM8DCojapI

also he decided that the overheating issue is just from tuning, not having the turbochargers installed out of order like the Audi diesel engineer said, so he poked at some ECU values and called it good

I kept digging by reading a bunch of this thread:

https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/threads/raptor-composite-aircraft.24721/

and I completely lack surprise. The pattern of him briefly, grudgingly accepting help from people who know what they're doing only to turn on them as soon as they say things he doesn't want to hear (or begin to threaten his image with his mini-cult) is quite old.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I think they totally blew the relationship by posting that video. Airport issue should have been sorted by the first visit, not the third. Sure, it was the right decision, but by that point the relationship had clearly broken down.

So from the wasabi video and that giant thread I've learned that yes, the airport issue should've been sorted early, but not for the reason you think.

(a) Wasabi raised the issue with him possibly even prior to the first visit, and he wouldn't listen

(b) The final trip was the first time they scouted the surrounding terrain with a low level flight, because the first two visits they flew commercial into a different airport. (Why didn't they hire a local plane during one of the first two trips? Probably because inspection and ground test were revealing way too many problems to even attempt a first flight, so no need to spend Peter's money on that until it was time.)

(c) prior to scouting, they thought the highway and possibly some parts of the terrain might be marginal places to land, but seeing things from the air revealed zero viable options for a forced off-field landing immediately after takeoff

(d) during that third trip, the builder's lovely amateur ECU tune (he watched some webinar and decided he was an expert tuner afterwards, LOL) caused an engine shutdown during taxi tests, a failure mode which the builder knew about, but thought was no big deal

(e) they also were not feeling super confident about the prop speed reduction unit, turbos, or cooling

(f) due to all the above and countless other non-powertrain things, their evaluation of the airport progressed from 'marginal, keep prodding Peter about it' to 'hard no'

Fortunately, Peter at least listened to that part of their advice. Which makes it a little weird that he also fired them for it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

With the cost being relative peanuts, why aren't airports blanketed with cameras to catch takeoffs and landings?

To get anything more meaningful than the current parking lot cameras catching pixelated views of crashes, you’d need a camera with enough zoom to matter. Probably at LEAST a 5x, which wouldn’t cost peanuts. Also, it now doesn’t cover the entire field of view you wanted, so it will either need an operator, or some way to automagically track moving targets; Again, not cheap.

Now at most fields, there’s probably only one place you can mount these things (you’re going to need more than one) so that they can see the entirety of all runways, and that’s the tower. Which is owned by the federal government. The FAA, specifically.

Anyone familiar with FAA equipment procurement (or government procurement generally) will immediately understand that this is an absolute non-starter. Also, at the end of the day all you’ve done is obtain video of plane crashes and incidents. Perhaps one in twenty will contain any information that couldn’t be easily obtained from the aircraft itself, or from interviews of pilots, controllers, and witnesses. It’s just a ton of work and ongoing maintenance to capture video of rare events that we don’t really have a hard time analyzing anyway.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I also think y'all selling him short :)

Not really.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

I've been following this project for about 2 years or so. He's always been engaging with the comments and people have offered solutions, constructive criticism, etc...except over the last 6 months, it's turned into the usual youtube comment poo poo and I think that, along with the stress and frustration with the project has him reacting in this manner.

I also think y'all selling him short :)

He is going to die in that airplane.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
A comment so dumb Godholio had to dunk on it twice.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Godholio posted:

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

After reading his saga the only question left is when is his family going to upload the memorial video to youtube.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
"My name is Juan Browne, and you're watching the blancolirio channel. Today we have a video on the recent raptor prototype crash.."

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Midjack posted:

Not really.

The whole thing reminds me of the R101 insofar as it's like the dude doesn't know to hedge his changes in this brand new to him aircraft building thing

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Godholio posted:

Or next to it after being thrown clear in a crash.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^^ :argh:

Godholio posted:

Nah.

He could also die on the ground next to the plane. Or in the ambulance. Or at the hospital.

Really there’s many possibilities.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He will die in the plane, but die officially at the hospital 20 minutes later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If he’s lucky he’ll have a gear collapse or something early in a takeoff run that totals the engine and airframe preventing him from being at a speed or altitude high enough to kill himself.