Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There was also a long period of time where everyone was holding the titles belts already buckled like they were props that couldn’t be altered. Nobody wore them, nobody had them unbuckled, etc. The most anyone did was put an arm through the belt so it would be on their shoulder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The only proper way to carry a belt is the Dickbelt as demonstrated by the Holy Emperor Taichi

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There was also a long period of time where everyone was holding the titles belts already buckled like they were props that couldn’t be altered. Nobody wore them, nobody had them unbuckled, etc. The most anyone did was put an arm through the belt so it would be on their shoulder.

it seemed like it was "dorky" to wear a belt around yr waist in the attitude era. someone who actually WORE a belt was a nerd like kurt angle or something. yeah everyone had them up on their shoulders, its kinda weird tbh, im glad that was a short trend.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

NikkolasKing posted:

Do Vince and Shane McMahon count?

Also this is as much a comment as a question but I dunno where else to put it. Why did Rock and Austin hold the WWF Title like it was apiece of garbage? During entrances wrestlers wear the belt around their waist or over their shoulder but only (of the wrestlers I've seen) Austin and Rock walked with the belt dangling from one hand like an afterthought. It just bugs me...the World Title should have more respect.

If you think they count, they count. I don't consider them wrestlers, personally, but if you do then they would obviously qualify given the giant chasm between their characters and their "work".

Maybe a better way to ask it would be something along the lines of: when did people start really caring about "work" as opposed to just stories being told? Was it when publications dedicated to wrestling became a thing? I would think it was before the internet, but I definitely don't recall thinking about it in the late 80's/through the 90's. I say that as someone who never actually followed said publications at any point.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

I've recently watched the Raven/Page feud on the network and outside of NWO drama, it's the most featured feud. I was really surprised how much TV time and creative freedom WCW gives Raven, considering he probably had very little political power backstage, he managed to get himself featured heavily.

Then again, maybe Bischoff just wanted a strong antagonist for DDP before his feuds with Hogan and the celebrities.

The creative midcard guys got a decent amount of freedom. Think about how little Bischoff thought of Jericho and how much time and freedom Jericho got. Then look at a guy who was feuding with DDP, who had a ton of pull.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Because giving a poo poo about things like 'belts' or 'anything' wasn't cool in the attitude era.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

shiksa posted:

the other example that pops to my mind of someone dragging a belt to the ring is naito when he was trying to destroy the IC belt so you have a point lol

Undertaker's first, brief reign he dragged it to the ring, but it fit his character.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It was a way to do a close up on the wrestler and have the title in the same frame

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Xerzes posted:

Disco Inferno

My favorite Disco match is at the Toryumon vs. T2P show in 2002 where he teamed up with Magnum Tokyo because they were both dancing gimmicks and he looked completely lost trying to keep up with a Toryumon six-man spotfest.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

shiksa posted:

it seemed like it was "dorky" to wear a belt around yr waist in the attitude era. someone who actually WORE a belt was a nerd like kurt angle or something. yeah everyone had them up on their shoulders, its kinda weird tbh, im glad that was a short trend.
kind of like one-strapping a bookbag

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

Goldberg vs Scott Steiner is better than Goldberg vs DDP work wise and a much different kind of match. Goldberg vs Saturn is very good, and everyone on this forum went nuts for Goldberg vs Brock Lesnar at Mania a few years ago. The ladder match with Scott Hall is also very good despite the goofy gimmick. The Raven and Hogan matches are both great smoke and mirror matches.

The ladder match with Hall is a solid PPV-quality match. Not a classic or anything, but it's pretty good. Is that the longest match of Goldberg's career?

The other matches... eh. They're typical Goldberg matches. Ten minutes or less, and carefully crafted to work around Goldberg's limitations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I feel like complaining about a guy like Goldberg having a similar style of match every time is like complaining that Schwarzenegger plays the same character in every movie: it's technically true, but like... it's also what the audience is there to see, so can you really say it's wrong to provide it?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

I feel like complaining about a guy like Goldberg having a similar style of match every time is like complaining that Schwarzenegger plays the same character in every movie: it's technically true, but like... it's also what the audience is there to see, so can you really say it's wrong to provide it?

rujasu posted:

Look, I liked Goldberg

I agree with "Goldberg was one-dimensional but he was really good at that one dimension" but he could have been even better and had a longer run if he had been a better worker

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Being a "good worker" is about doing cool moves and acting like a badass. Goldberg did two awesome moves and acted like the biggest badass on Earth, so I'd say he was a really great worker!

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
Would Goldberg have put in a fifty minute eight star match with Okada? No. He would have beat him in less than five moves because he was a big old badass

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rujasu posted:

I agree with "Goldberg was one-dimensional but he was really good at that one dimension" but he could have been even better and had a longer run if he had been a better worker

I think two of the worst bookers in history are more the problem for his longevity.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
My favorite is when they grab the belt by the end and drag it. It shows they're to cool to hold it and they're just lugging it along looking for their next fight.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Goldberg was loving cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw8Gc1dvZNw&t=54s

And grey-faced wrestledad Goldberg coming back and Goldberging Brock Lesnar was the loving coolest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLLTVHfHV8g&t=273s

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Has there ever been an angle where an underdog wins the title but is struggling to lug it around because of its heft?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

davidbix posted:

As weird and childish as WWF Magazine could be pre-Russo, the people who staffed it before his tenure were at least nominally legitimate writers and whose work read nothing like his output. Hiring someone whose main qualification was "wrote infamously bad columns for a short-lived newsletter that were only notable for how many complaints his business partner received," even for WWF magazine, first as a writer and then as an editor, was...kind of weird. I've never researched the other WWF Magazine staffers, but I know that when I was researching my WBF article for FSM, I learned that they had hired a former Playgirl editor as the Bodybuilding Lifestyles/WBF Magazine editor in chief. So in the same era, they were definitely looking towards experienced magazine types under normal circumstances.

It doesn’t matter much, but by the time of its closing in the early 2010s, WWE magazine was run by professional writers who had experience at Maxim, FHM, and other men’s periodicals. It wasn't amateur hour.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

My favorite is when they grab the belt by the end and drag it. It shows they're to cool to hold it and they're just lugging it along looking for their next fight.

Brodie Lee dragged the IC belt like it was a burlap sack full of body parts.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Why is nobody mentioning Umaga and moufbelt?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Coaaab posted:

Has there ever been an angle where an underdog wins the title but is struggling to lug it around because of its heft?

Didn’t Daniel Bryan say in his book that because of his shoulders at the time, doing the YES chant with both belts really was hard to do?

Takuan
May 6, 2007

A friend of mine has recently gotten in to wrestling and this weekend he expressed the opinion of "I'm not in to women wrestlers because they're not as good. I'm not saying they can't be, but so far I haven't seen it."

I'm not very familiar with women's wrestling, so I'm asking for recommendations to show him. The main things he likes about wrestling is acrobatics and death matches.

So what is a women's match I can show him that is
1)Either very flippy or very bloody
2)Relatively short(sub 20 minutes)
3)Available for free

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Takuan posted:

A friend of mine has recently gotten in to wrestling and this weekend he expressed the opinion of "I'm not in to women wrestlers because they're not as good. I'm not saying they can't be, but so far I haven't seen it."

I'm not very familiar with women's wrestling, so I'm asking for recommendations to show him. The main things he likes about wrestling is acrobatics and death matches.

3)Available for free

Megumi Kudo vs Combat Toyoda is probably the best women's death match, the video is long but the match itself is a bit over 20 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSdMiVV_fnQ

Women's matches tend not to be very flippy. There are just rarely women who do lots of flips the way men do, you are much more likely to see really stiff strikes. I'm not sure who I'd list as the most spectacular high flyer right now or a match that really jumps out at me for high flying compared to striking. Takumi Iroha for example jumps out because she does a bad rear end swanton, but it's on top of also doing lots of fantastic kicks and general bad assery. But like, a swanton isn't a crazy move these days, but it stands out in the match with Mayu Iwatani because the bigger woman who has been destroying the smaller woman then busts out the most impressive flying move of the match too.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 26, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Takuan posted:

3)Available for free

OK, I'm far from an expert in Joshi, more of a dabbler, but if he likes death matches then the first name to come to mind is Rina Yamashita. She's had an excellent 2020, including doing death matches.

This is the match that made me aware of her, Rina vs Rise Sera in Ice Ribbon from August. The video quality is pretty crap but the other video I found didn't include her getting rid in on a motorcycle & I feel like that's important to include.
It's a King of FREEDOMS Tag Team title match with Rina tagging with Minoru Fujita against champions Mammoth Sasaki & Violento Jack, it's a very good tag hardcore match, but it is intergender & that can be iffy for some people.
After that match Rina proves her toughness & Minoru gives her an Unchain t-shirt, inviting her to join their group & her reward is a tag team Glass Board Death Match, Fujita & Rina against Jun Kasai & Masashi Takeda, 2 of the best names in death match wrestling. Unfortunately that isn't online yet as far as I can tell, which sucks.

To go a bit more classic Joshi
Combat Toyoda vs Megumi Kudo from FMW in 1996. It's Toyoda's retirement match, they've been rivals for years & oh year, it's a No-Rope Exploding Barb-Wire Death Match in front of 30,000 fans in one of those baseball stadium shows FMW would do. If he gets anything from that, well, FMW is a good place to look for women's death matches.

It's not what you asked for, it's neither bloody or flippy but Aja Kong vs Manami Toyota from All Japan Women's Tokyo Dome show is 17 minutes of war & it is generally regarded as one of the all time best women's wrestling matches. If you want to see what the best of women's wrestling can do then just show your friend this.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 26, 2020

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Can anyone tell me where the "famous" Jeff Jarrett "I'm sorry.... sorry I didn't do it earlier!!" came from and is there a clip of it somewhere? Was it even Jeff Jarrett? I mean, I'm sure it's been used a number of times by god knows how many different wrestlers but I have this distinct (possibly false) memory of Jarrett doing it and it cracking me up big time.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Takuan posted:

3)Available for free

The greatest women's wrestling match of all time.

Hokuto vs Kandori - https://youtu.be/sXTvuuHg43A

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

BrigadierSensible posted:

Why is nobody mentioning Umaga and moufbelt?

Imagine how many steroid back pimples that specific part or the belt has touched

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

The greatest women's wrestling match of all time.

Hokuto vs Kandori - https://youtu.be/sXTvuuHg43A

I saw this link, smiled, ordered the Dangerous Queen reprint on Hardway, then watched the match again for the millionth time

it's so good

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Deathlove posted:

I saw this link, smiled, ordered the Dangerous Queen reprint on Hardway, then watched the match again for the millionth time

it's so good

I didn't check the link properly and I posted the wrong match. I meant to post their Dreamslam bout - https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18hjfi

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

why does dexter lumis look like michael cole's face on heidenreich's body?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
And why does that glove look Photoshopped? He should be holding a fork like Goldberg in the Nitro Grill menu.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Imagine how many steroid back pimples that specific part or the belt has touched

I'd rather not thank you

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Halloween Jack posted:

And why does that glove look Photoshopped? He should be holding a fork like Goldberg in the Nitro Grill menu.

His hand looks incredibly small compared to the rest of him. It's really bizarre.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

sk posted:

More like a young Stunning Steve with a mustache.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
What do they do with the vanity belts that are no longer in use? Like the weed belt or the smoking skull belt?

And where is the million dollar belt now anyway?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Probably sitting in that warehouse filled with all the other cool stuff they don't use anymore like the custom PPV sets

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Nystral posted:

What do they do with the vanity belts that are no longer in use? Like the weed belt or the smoking skull belt?

And where is the million dollar belt now anyway?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pnwqhUm3Rc

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

sk posted:

Oh gods he's their child. Heidenreich what the gently caress did you do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

sk posted:

I hate you so much for making me picture Heidenreich/Michael Cole mpreg slashfic.

I hate me so much for typing that sentence.