Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!
My airbrush stuff arrived today!

The test model will be my wife's killa kan, cause I ain't ruining my Crusader with a messed up primer application.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Booley posted:

White spirits. Also, you should be careful to airbrush it outside, as aerosolized alcohol like liquid gold is flammable, and the fans in most spray booths are not completely sealed and can spark. It's unlikely, but better safe than sorry.

I don't have a spray booth (yet), so there's no fear of it coming into contact with a fan. With my current setup, the only thing the airbrush would be close to is the compressor, although it would be a foot or so away when I'm spraying. Only other thing that I think would maybe be an issue would be the florescent lights hanging from the ceiling, but those seems like they'd be well out of range.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

yum posted:

Finished the squad of grots and deff dread. Still gotta finish the base of the dread and I’ll probably come back and redo the eye lens but it’s more or less finished. Next up: 10 more ork boyz and a warboss

These look fantastic. I just finished painting my first ork boy squad.
Not done the basing yet and I still need to put a matte clear coat on but that will have to wait because I bought the 'start collecting!' box and I'm having to much fun building the deff dread. Stupid question- are ammo runts the same size as regular grots? One came with the set and haven't seen the grots in person yet.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Another question: I've been wanting to try the TurboDork paints for a long time, but they require a black gloss undercoat for them to work properly. Is there a paint/primer that works best for that?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Max Wilco posted:

Another question: I've been wanting to try the TurboDork paints for a long time, but they require a black gloss undercoat for them to work properly. Is there a paint/primer that works best for that?

Vallejo's regular gloss black has been working fine for me thus far.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

the_balloon_dog posted:

Hey Guys

Back at the hobby after a good 10 years!..(cheers COVID)..

Starting where I ended with a small contingent of Red Corsairs, Huron himself, a kill team + a few more bits, then we'll see where we go next.... unlikely to ever get played with so not looking at sticking to the rules to much with wargear etc....

Converted Huron up first, but painted him last as wanted to get my eye in... Feel the GW sculpt just bit lacking compared to more recent character models...had the Idea for the bits needed for the conversion couple of years now. Pleased with how he turned out, stole the weapons and backpack from the original model, but just gave him a body and head with some more heft to fit better with picture of him have in my head.  Paint wise, pretty pleased how these guys turned out, not as glossy as picture makes out, tried few new things, like the painted damage and using a nice brown black Oil wash and cotten buds (a proper cheat!).  Still more to learn, and without having to paint hundreds for a working army can go where I want....

Hope you like it...

hints, tips (Yes Yes bolter barrels, seems didn't save my pin vice from all those years ago, ones on order....;-) ) greatly appreciated.

Good to be back....

This is superb and I hope you post more of your minis! (also, your style + conversions would go real well w/ Horus Heresy stuff ...)

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Dienes posted:

Vallejo's regular gloss black has been working fine for me thus far.

You can also use a gloss clear coat over a flat or satin black primer if that’s all you have available.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

nostrata posted:

These look fantastic. I just finished painting my first ork boy squad.
Not done the basing yet and I still need to put a matte clear coat on but that will have to wait because I bought the 'start collecting!' box and I'm having to much fun building the deff dread. Stupid question- are ammo runts the same size as regular grots? One came with the set and haven't seen the grots in person yet.

Thanks! Digging your orks as well, that's a nice paint scheme you have going on. The Deff dread was great to build, my only issue is that I wish it was more pose able but that's a thing for all dreads.

Yes, I believe ammo runts are around the same size as regular grots but they do take up more space due to the large ammo box they lug around.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Anyone here have experience with the paints from https://turbodork.com/ and could you tell me if they are easy to work with? I am intrigued by the prospect of little bottles of acrylic color shift paint

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

signalnoise posted:

Anyone here have experience with the paints from https://turbodork.com/ and could you tell me if they are easy to work with? I am intrigued by the prospect of little bottles of acrylic color shift paint

You can use them with a paintbrush but if you want it to be a smooth coat like in that image you really need to use an airbrush with them.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I'm terrible at taking pictures, but here's my first actual whole squad of Space Marines. I tried out a few different techniques, so most of them are slightly different from each other, but they're done.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Tried to razzle dazzle it up at the end with Liquitex Iridescent Medium but of course what is essentially glitter doesn't show up in still photos

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Dienes posted:

You can use them with a paintbrush but if you want it to be a smooth coat like in that image you really need to use an airbrush with them.

Right on. Just needed to know they weren't weirdly gloopy or somethin

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

signalnoise posted:

Shake them more than you've shaken anything in your life.

They are also a pain to photograph, or I'd show you my psychedelic beetles.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

signalnoise posted:

They work best over a gloss black surface. Using a brush, you'll need 3 to 5 thin coats. Give extra time to dry between coats compared to standard acrylics. I've tried turbodork and GSW and of course YMMV, but the results I got were no where close to their promo images.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Busted my airbrush of 7 years (RIP buddy, you were a real one). Still made progress:

Luckily I'm at the step of doing some brushwork and then oils. Have a replacement coming already.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Scourgeland Survivors are fun to paint, especially compared to those birbmans. Some of these printed with minor flaws I've never seen before (circular cracks down the length of the model) so I'm really tempted to go back and reprint them, because I kinda want to paint them again.

I was tempted to paint these in Nausicaa soldier turquoises or blues, but I think bone was the way to go. They've got a Monster Hunter vibe I really enjoy.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

signalnoise posted:

Turbo dork is the poo poo. Work with an airbrush and work with multiple thin coats.

Prime over a gloss paint, if you don't have it like me lay down some varnish first. It doesn't photograph well or if show it off here

If you want to take it to the next level, you can zenithal with other colorshifting paints of theirs apparently. You can throw washes on it too apparently if you specifically use stuff like the gloss nuln oil, but if you go non-glossy wash il kill the effect. Don't neglect turbodorks non-colorshifting metallics either. I bought purple people eater from them and it's fantastic

First painted model from the 3d printer. Done with black templar contrast over Vallejo metallic air silver.

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 26, 2020

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

w00tmonger posted:

Turbo dork is the poo poo. Work with an airbrush and work with multiple thin coats.

Prime over a gloss paint, if you don't have it like me lay down some varnish first. It doesn't photograph well or if show it off here

If you want to take it to the next level, you can zenithal with other colorshifting paints of theirs apparently. You can throw washes on it too apparently if you specifically use stuff like the gloss nuln oil, but if you go non-glossy wash il kill the effect. Don't neglect turbodorks non-colorshifting metallics either. I bought purple people eater from them and it's fantastic
Well drat. Thanks for the heads up, I was turned onto this from someone who doesn't do any minis stuff or anything like that to my knowledge so I didn't know it was so good. gently caress yea

Sounds like I basically need to treat it like an acrylics version of Alclad, which is pretty cool. Actually, I have some Alclad II black gloss primer, do acrylics work on top of that? I tried my hand at chroming and it did not go well and was very stinky and labor intensive once I got past the priming, so I still have the supplies after giving up on that.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 26, 2020

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

signalnoise posted:

Well drat. Thanks for the heads up, I was turned onto this from someone who doesn't do any minis stuff or anything like that to my knowledge so I didn't know it was so good. gently caress yea

Sounds like I basically need to treat it like an acrylics version of Alclad, which is pretty cool. Actually, I have some Alclad II black gloss primer, do acrylics work on top of that? I tried my hand at chroming and it did not go well and was very stinky and labor intensive once I got past the priming, so I still have the supplies after giving up on that.

YouTube is a good resource for this, I haven't tried that primer specifically, but I imagine it skills work fine. Go with white/black based on what they recommend on the site.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I haven't used the turbodork paints but I have used the Vallejo color shifter which I'm pretty sure are nearly the same thing.
The big thing I found was that they work best on large flatish surfaces. They look amazing on a sportscar model I sprayed them on, but I could barely see the effect on some Necron warriors I tested them with.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

New thread title?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Does anyone else short-sighted wear glasses and, if so, do you find it way easier to paint having taken them off?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

I've used Krylon with great results, and Vallejo Gloss Black with mediocre results; the color looks pretty uniform from all angles. However I used Krylon to paint a Plague Marine and the Vallejo for a Plagueburst Crawler, so maybe it has something to do with the shape of the vehicle (large flat surfaces) vs the Marine with lots of angles. I need to try a Vallejo Matte black still, which I hope to do soon. I actually emailed the guys about this and this is what they said:

TurboDork posted:

We use Gloss Black Badger Stynelrez when we can get it, otherwise I honestly use matte most of the time. The images on our website were done with matte Badger Stynelrez funnily enough. Gloss does look better, but it can be hard to find and hard to use for a lot of painters =(

signalnoise posted:

They're :krad: I used some combination of their Meatball, Bullion, and Emerald Nightmare* to make this bronze dragon:

* I actually had to use a Createx Pearl Green over the TurboDork Emerald Nightmare on the wings because EN is basically "Black, unless high intensity pure LED white light hits it then it's kinda green"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

jesus WEP posted:

Does anyone else short-sighted wear glasses and, if so, do you find it way easier to paint having taken them off?

Yeah, I never wear my glasses when painting, or at my PC for that matter.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I usually just keep mine on all the time out of habit, it just never occurred to me until yesterday that maybe I’d be able to hold a mini closer and keep focus if I took them off. And I could!

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

jesus WEP posted:

Sometimes. Depends on the model. If it's highly detailed and I'm really trying to make it a stand out model, I will because it does help a bit.

If it's generic meat shield dudes, than likely not.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

jesus WEP posted:

I probably should. I've had good eyesight all my life, but in recent years I've noticed that painting even in the best possible light will tire out my eyes to the point where after 15-20 minutes I'll have this staticky effect in my eyes, and will just have to stare out the window at the horizon for a while to relax them.

It's starting to get a bit old. Much like me.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

w00tmonger posted:

Whoa whoa whoa got more info on this?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's... pretty much exactly what it sounds like.

Prime your model, slap on layers of the first color, slap on layers of the second color. Ta-da.

It might be interesting to alternate 1 layer of X, 1 layer of Y at an angle and repeat that but that sounds like a pain in the rear end to do.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Sab669 posted:

It's... pretty much exactly what it sounds like.

Prime your model, slap on layers of the first color, slap on layers of the second color. Ta-da.

It might be interesting to alternate 1 layer of X, 1 layer of Y at an angle and repeat that but that sounds like a pain in the rear end to do.

It seems like the ability to do that would be fairly limited - there's a few different blue-to-pink/purple, so I could see potentially doing Wave Length base with Ice to Never over it and a final highlight of Crystal Cavern, and something similar with Lunar Eclipse to Molten Mantle to Miami Sunset, but I think any other color combo would be pretty difficult, unless you know of the secret combos that work well.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's definitely limited. As you said, the idea would be to pair similar paints together. Bubblegum Crisis and Cloud 9, or Blue Raspberry and Hyper Culture. You probably don't want to do like, Shell Shocked and Crystal Cavern although I haven't tried so maybe the end result is actually cooler than I imagine, but I don't think it would be. Now I'm tempted to just buy a bunch of plastic spoons and a few more paints to dick around with

I haven't experimented with their pants a whole lot, tbh. I bought a handful, painted half a dozen things and then I gummed up my airbrush so bad I couldn't even remove the needle to clean it and got burnt out / demotivated. Finally got it cleaned last week... and now I just had to renovate my apartment so my painting studio has a bunch of furniture in it :) Will be a while before I can paint again.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m coincidentally checking the thread while waiting for a Turbodork layer to dry.

I don’t own an airbrush, but brushed on Stynylrez gloss black and you definitely need thin layers of both that and the Turbo paints. I spent two sessions just priming 3 (albeit big) minis.

“Let Them Eat Cake” purple/blue is dark enough to work well over the black, but “Spicy Meatball” red is really showing where I’ve missed spots. Also confirming that you need to shake the bottles for longer than you’d think. I’ve had no problem painting VMC/VMA paints over the turboshift layers.

That said, the paints have been great to work with. They’ve been previewing paints designed to work with black/white zenithal priming that will be out next month, too.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Spicy Meatball took quite a few layers to get a good even coat, as I seem to recall. But by the 4th or 5th coat it looked so so nice. Photos don't do that dragon I painted justice, but I did the lower body with that Spicy Meatball, and then the top with Bullion and as you hold the model up and rotate it the changes in the colors is just so pleasant. But it looks pretty flat gold in the photo :(

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It’s the curse of red paint.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

finished up some jet bikers. vroom vroom

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Hixson posted:

finished up some jet bikers. vroom vroom

This looks very cool. I like how dark and dirty they look. The lightning effect looks great too. drat.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

signalnoise posted:

Color shift paints work best airbrushed over glossy black. You'll need to do multiple coats to get the full effect.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Tried out a Nebalebadingdong-esque base for the Gloomhaven Scoundrel.

Lots of room for improvement but decently happy for a first try (although just now I realize that I hosed up the shading on the cracks :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Dienes posted:

Whoa whoa whoa got more info on this?

again, I haven't done it myself. but to my knowledge they have batches of colorshift paints that you can use to create gradients in the shift. They do something like that in the middle of this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC8PjN3D6ds