Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nutapii posted:

A light comes on and it draws more power when you speak to it though - surely "making a fire"?
I have been reading far too many words by bearded men about whether LED lights count as making fire, and some say it's more like uncovering a window or using a mirror to make light where it was not, especially as there's no conceivable way you could cook with it, but more conservative opinions say that you shouldn't do it anyway.

Miftan posted:

I think alexa counts as operating an electric appliance, even if you suggest things to it, but I'm not a rabbi.
Looks like I'm far from the first person to think about this, even including the question of Alexa's faith.

I'm not sure how you'd determine which electronic devices are Jews without repeatedly running into the Worst People On The Internet though.

e: 2-6-2T locomotive on the GWR.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I have been reading far too many words by bearded men about whether LED lights count as making fire,

Many rabbis and big clive, I assume.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yes, mainly because the latter has definitely managed to turn LEDs into fire.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/davey/status/1320021653536067584

Why doth not the plebians merely sell their hoard of jewels to feed their kinder?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I do like the selling handbags suggestion because he's 100% seen a mum with a Brada bag off the market and thought that the 'single mums using benefits to buy designer gear' thing is true. If anything it's a testament to the craftsmanship of modern counterfeiters

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

My Mum died yesterday morning. She had a turn for the worse last weekend, and she stopped being able to take in any nutrition and was in a lot of pain, so they switched to palliative care and gave her morphine.

I was able to have a couple of video calls with her when my family was visiting her, but she wasn't able to talk because of the morphine and the tiredness. She could understand me though, was able to wave at me and give very slight nods at stuff. It was good to be able to talk to her but very difficult to see her like that. Luckily I was also able to talk to her last Friday before her turn, and she was in good spirits then.

I don't know whether to try and come back for her cremation. She didn't want a funeral but it sounds like my immediate family are going to get together for a no-service cremation. I'd have to hop on a plane and probably break the cremation rules. My Dad said I didn't need to come back but my brother said he doesn't want me to regret it.

They're going to scatter her ashes on Pen y Fan, one of her favourite places to go walking - that's what she wanted. It probably won't happen til the spring, so I'm hoping to be able to get back for that.

What a load of poo poo, though. Would really have liked to have seen her, but my brothers and even my Dad weren't able to see her until she took her turn and they moved her to her own room. I feel awful for all of the families going through the same thing right now. I don't think I'll come back for the service - I'd hate to think that I might get Covid and pass it on to anyone, which could lead to another family feeling like this.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/ScotteeIsFat/status/1320337925289185287
https://twitter.com/Longtonian/status/1320364569890611202
Both of these are excellent and make me hopeful the school meals thing is actually cutting through. This is the type of thing that should be happening all the time to Tory MPs.

Is it worth referring cunts like this to the GMC?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Why doth not the plebians merely sell their hoard of jewels to feed their kinder?
If I were a twatbag journalist, I would simply recommend that the people that can't afford potatoes grow them rather than 'sell assets'.

That's also a dumb idea, because lots of food insecure people don't have a garden, but pulling a 1649 to St. George's Hill with a bunch of others for something that grows in the ground is more realistic than the idea that there's all these 'assets' floating around.

e: Condolences WhatEvil.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/ScotteeIsFat/status/1320337925289185287
https://twitter.com/Longtonian/status/1320364569890611202
Both of these are excellent and make me hopeful the school meals thing is actually cutting through. This is the type of thing that should be happening all the time to Tory MPs.

watch them try to shop people in to plod for intimidation lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

gently caress I'm sorry that's lovely.

I know what you mean about the funeral though, it's up to you, I hate funerals so I wouldn't go to any if I could avoid it, but it's whether you think it would be important for you or your family.

I admit me personally I would rather go when things are safer and perhaps you can meet on a nice sunny day for the scattering. I didn't want to scatter my grandmother until it was a nice summer day for that reason. Up to you of course but I would say it's entirely reasonable to not feel comfortable going to funerals especially at the moment. And a lot of what you do there can be done at a later time.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Condolences WhatEvil. There's never a good time for anyone close to you dying, doubly so when you're in another country and can't easily visit because of everything. I know you've posted before about when your mum was ill about how hard it is for you. I hope your family can find the best ways to support each other.

EDIT: ^^^ from OF is very true. There is no right to do these things, but I'd think the same

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

WhatEvil posted:

Sad things.

Sorry my dude. Condolences to you and your family.What an awful year this has been.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
That's awful, sorry mate

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

WhatEvil posted:

My Mum died yesterday morning. She had a turn for the worse last weekend, and she stopped being able to take in any nutrition and was in a lot of pain, so they switched to palliative care and gave her morphine.

I was able to have a couple of video calls with her when my family was visiting her, but she wasn't able to talk because of the morphine and the tiredness. She could understand me though, was able to wave at me and give very slight nods at stuff. It was good to be able to talk to her but very difficult to see her like that. Luckily I was also able to talk to her last Friday before her turn, and she was in good spirits then.

I don't know whether to try and come back for her cremation. She didn't want a funeral but it sounds like my immediate family are going to get together for a no-service cremation. I'd have to hop on a plane and probably break the cremation rules. My Dad said I didn't need to come back but my brother said he doesn't want me to regret it.

They're going to scatter her ashes on Pen y Fan, one of her favourite places to go walking - that's what she wanted. It probably won't happen til the spring, so I'm hoping to be able to get back for that.

What a load of poo poo, though. Would really have liked to have seen her, but my brothers and even my Dad weren't able to see her until she took her turn and they moved her to her own room. I feel awful for all of the families going through the same thing right now. I don't think I'll come back for the service - I'd hate to think that I might get Covid and pass it on to anyone, which could lead to another family feeling like this.

My condolences to you and your family. It really is the pits right now.x

If it helps, when my sister-in-law died during the Egyptian revolution, I couldn't get back to the UK for her funeral.
So I set up an online funeral in a chatzy chat room for a few of us who were unable to attend the funeral for whatever reason (some were carers or disabled) - I got a copy of the order of service from the undertaker, set up the hymns on youtube and started the online funeral at the same time as the actual funeral and posted the various verses, responses and hymns in a timed way to match the real service. Also managed to get copies of the various homilies that people were planning. (Also allowed space for people to write a little 'memory' of their own during that time.)
5 or 6 of us followed that way, but also the chat site did a recording of the 'service' (all the things I posted and other people's contributions) so a few people who couldn't follow along at the exact time were able to take part later.

(There are other ways of doing online funerals at present, but I've heard of people having some problems with them. This way worked for us.)

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1320385478613454849

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
It is prob some hoody-youths who are intoxicated with alcopops and "E"s joy-riding the tanker imo :nono:

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

Kept you waiting, huh?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I’m so sorry WhatEvil, condolences to you and your family.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

crispix posted:

It is prob some hoody-youths who are intoxicated with alcopops and "E"s joy-riding the tanker imo :nono:
Why does the government not simply sell off it's oil facilities if it's in so much debt? Surely feeding its children is more important.

Also comisserations WhatEvil, that sounds awful.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

WhatEvil posted:

My Mum died yesterday morning.
Condolences mate.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Thanks all, I'm doing OK considering. Of course I'm upset but there's also a sense of relief - she didn't suffer at all really.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/amandamilling/status/1319753071602372613

A handy list of politicians who think that a throwaway comment in the house of commons matters more than child poverty.
Keith will have his hands full trying to capitulate his way to victory over this, so maybe we could write back to these MPs with some advice on the relative values of words vs deeds? They do like letters after all.
Anyone got the chops to pull the names of that letter and match it with the directory of MPs?

Condolences WhatEvil. Sorry for your loss.

Endjinneer fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 25, 2020

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

WhatEvil posted:

Sorry to hear, I hope you get to do what you need to and have people around you can talk to afterwards. The people I've known that have lost parents found it hard, especially dealing with their own feelings as well as supporting the other parent, so I hope you're all alright.

A lot of people here have lost someone recently, and it's loving poo poo. Is there anything we can do to help, generally speaking?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

WhatEvil posted:

I'm sorry man. Death is poo poo :smith:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Apparently, the SBS have stormed that tanker.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-54684440

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
haunted beanbag

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Endjinneer posted:

https://twitter.com/amandamilling/status/1319753071602372613

A handy list of politicians who think that a throwaway comment in the house of commons matters more than child poverty.
Keith will have his hands full trying to capitulate his way to victory over this, so maybe we could write back to these MPs with some advice on the relative values of words vs deeds? They do like letters after all.
Anyone got the chops to pull the names of that letter and match it with the directory of MPs?

I cordially invite the undersigned to kiss my rear end and furthermore to sup upon my sweaty taint while I bang a salvation army drum and sing sweet caroline

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

I am so sorry WhatEvil. Keep yourself safe, and we are here if you need us.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
not going to lie, if I stowed away on a ship and found myself anchored off the Isle of Wight, I'd get loving violent too

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

WhatEvil posted:

My Mum died yesterday morning.

Sorry to hear man.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

OwlFancier posted:

Maybe he can suggest some foods for them to choose? I hear brioche is popular

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

Condolences. I know words on a screen can't possibly take the pain away.

Gonna go against the grain a little bit of the other advice. If it is safe, and possible logistically and financially, for you to attend the funeral, do so. Be with your family, go through the motions of the funeral, say all the horrible cliches, raise a glass if that's what your family do. It'll hurt like hell, but it's the best way to get the healing process started.

The best advice I can give you is from the vicar who did my parents funerals, a nice bloke who managed not to mention God at all, but did talk a lot about how humans grieve and move on (and if religion is *anything*, it's a method to help human brains cope with death, so he knew what he was on about).

He said it's natural to try and blot your mum out of your brain, but it's vital that you don't. It's painful to remember her right now, but trying to pretend she never existed just makes it worse when those defences crumble (and they always will). Instead, make sure you've got a nice memory or two of her mentally filed and ready to be pulled out. Doesn't have to be some big picture-perfect Hallmark card thing, in fact it's almost better if it's something silly, something that makes you smile or laugh. When you think of her, and you feel the pain of her absence, just bring in that memory, because otherwise you just end up associating the memory of her with pain, instead of happiness. If you can head that off with something that puts a smile on your face, even if it's one of those dumb cry-smiles, it just helps to put your thoughts on a healthier track.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the problem I have with funerals is they're just far too soon, I'm sure that attending and organizing my grandmother's did my brain in for years afterwards. If anything I find they absolutely make it a lot harder to process it because you're not, you're organizing, you have to do everything, you explicitly don't have chance to process anything. So my predominant memories of her are now her funeral, the difficulty of it, how unhelpful it was, everything that went wrong.

Perhaps it is more productive for more extroverted people but they definitely don't help me any, and while I understand that you also have to take other people into account when you decide to go, the obligation to attend I think is probably a bit harmful for some people.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That's utter poo poo, sorry to hear that.

Going to my nan's funeral in June was really strange. It was incredibly soon after she died, and only eight of us could go. Couldn't hug, couldn't go out anywhere after, no reason to hang around. So we just went in, listened to the vicar ramble on for ten minutes (she had to double check my nan's name at the start), stand outside making small talk for another ten minutes and went our separate ways home. Then when my aunt broke down in tears and all we could do was stand from a two meter distance it was incredibly uncomfortable and painful.

Looking back I don't think anyone got much out of it, and we'd have been better off just doing something nice over Zoom and waiting to do something proper next year.

stev fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 25, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That too, I can't imagine going to a funeral when you can't even show affection to people.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I think the problem I have with funerals is they're just far too soon, I'm sure that attending and organizing my grandmother's did my brain in for years afterwards. If anything I find they absolutely make it a lot harder to process it because you're not, you're organizing, you have to do everything, you explicitly don't have chance to process anything. So my predominant memories of her are now her funeral, the difficulty of it, how unhelpful it was, everything that went wrong.

Perhaps it is more productive for more extroverted people but they definitely don't help me any, and while I understand that you also have to take other people into account when you decide to go, the obligation to attend I think is probably a bit harmful for some people.

I think a lot depends on the undertakers. I basically just chose a few things, signed some papers, and they dealt with literally everything else. It was *much* harder work dealing with my mum's bank.

Mind you it probably helps that we're a small family and "arrangements", once the service itself was sorted, were ringing like ten people and telling them when it was, then buying a couple of platters from Iceland and some booze for the wake. The mechanics of it were basically the same as a family birthday party.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

That too, I can't imagine going to a funeral when you can't even show affection to people.

Yeah, that's just... I can't even imagine that.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Condolences WhatEvil :( its a terrible time to lose someone. If you think you’d get closure and the funeral would be an important part of your process you might regret missing, don’t feel bad about going back. This isn’t a holiday or a frivolous trip. Ultimately it’s about how best you can grieve, everyone does it differently.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I had to skip a family funeral in February because I had the bad symptoms. In retrospect it was almost certainly Australian 'flu and not Covid, but I knew there'd be elderly and immunocompromised relatives there for whom even that would be a very bad thing, and I knew that everyone would be hugging and shaking hands and as nobody was taking it at all seriously I'd seem like the one being disrespectful if I was distancing, so I ended up just calling and apologizing and saying I had a very bad cold and I know [relative] has to be careful with that and there's all kinds of things going around now.

I still regret it a bit, but not as much as I would if I'd ended up causing another one. Definitely very strange thought of distanced funerals though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

fuckin love how this country tries to rehabilitate anne widdicome like GW Bush but she’s too much of a monster to let it stick