Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
gently caress DOES CUNO CARE?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

(He doesn't care.)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

evrart is too a communist :colbert:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Doc Hawkins posted:

evrart is too a communist :colbert:

Aren't we all, Harry? *winks*

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Mr. Evrart is helping us find our gun.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Kaysette posted:

Mr. Evrart is helping us find our gun.

gently caress DOES CUNO CARE?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Madre de dios. A LIBERAL!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Madre de dios. *makes sign of the cross* A LIBERAL!

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Madre de dios. A LIBERAL!

finding this line on my first blind playthrough was a god drat loving treat

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Nosfereefer posted:

i was sorry cop until i called up hq and got mocked to hell and back. revanchol eats the weak, while ridiculous levels of bravado makes pretty much anyone fall in line

e: immediately after the call, i went back to garte, and decided i was a staunch feminist and that sylvie quit because he was a sexist jerk. this made him feel bad, despite the fact that id just totalled one of his rooms.

I love two things about that call. The first is the way the game manages to hide the whole truth of what's going on with everyone at Precinct 41, even when your skills are narrating events you aren't present for. The second is the absolutely beautiful job Jules Pidieu does of refusing to make himself a pure conduit for cop-rage by completely spinning down all of your wild rants.

Sorry cop, no regrets. You can completely sorry yourself out just on Sylvie. I am an emergency backup skull brought to this earth to repair all the things that Harry duBois broke, such as the great skua, the case of THE HANGED MAN, and Harry duBois.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
re: Inland Empire's intuitions, I think arguably the most supernatural thing you get to do with it that isn't tremendously obvious happens near the point of no return. There's no reason whatsoever to stuff the Horrible Necktie into the alcohol at that point to create a molotov -- it's a good idea, but what makes it stick out is when you do so. Not only does it serve on a meta level as a way of telling the player this is going to be a huge deal, it's also an out of the blue intuition that, if the rolls play out properly, straight up saves Harry's life, and makes for the most poetic way of dispatching Kortenaer. The fact it comes so soon after the mandatory shivers check serves to add to the supernatural mystique too -- once Shivers opens the door (literally), Inland Empire has more of a license to get weird.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

I really need to remember to start a quick game with maxed out Inland Empire just so I can talk to the eyes.

where are the mysterious pair of eyes, anyway? and where does this conversation happen? i've managed to miss both of these things so far.

EorayMel posted:

Anti Horny Game

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Glazius posted:

Sorry cop, no regrets.

You mean lots of regrets?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I just started off with the Thinker archetype, which was a real blast because you start off with 2 health and 1 morale :shepface:

You do know you can pop a pill and recover while the game is transitioning to black right?

I, too, started with only 1 health on my first run and even with how poor you are in the beginning there's enough health pick up and few enough encounters where you'll lose health you will be hard pressed to kill yourself.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 24, 2020

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

You all keep forgetting that when you fail karaoke (as you should) Kim is the only one in the room to give you a slow clap of appreciation. Not out of pity or support, but he liked it

It is imo a powerful moment, considering how conformist he was brought up. I think its the moment he understood harry

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 24, 2020

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Disco Elysium is profound as gently caress. It sucks that a year later they still didnt produce dlc or published the book

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Turpitude II posted:

where are the mysterious pair of eyes, anyway? and where does this conversation happen? i've managed to miss both of these things so far.

From what I've heard, its near the port gate on the first day if you have absurd inland empire.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Sekenr posted:

Disco Elysium is profound as gently caress. It sucks that a year later they still didnt produce dlc or published the book

Why expand on perfection?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

From what I've heard, its near the port gate on the first day if you have absurd inland empire.

i never saw that or even know if it's true but it triggers my memories of childhood rumors about weird apocryphal hidden things in old video games. if they did in fact hide a bunch of stuff that only triggers in extreme edge case situations, that is very cool to me.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Why expand on perfection?

I want MORE

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Kim is also a fan of salami

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

uber_stoat posted:

i never saw that or even know if it's true but it triggers my memories of childhood rumors about weird apocryphal hidden things in old video games. if they did in fact hide a bunch of stuff that only triggers in extreme edge case situations, that is very cool to me.

I do love things like that. May not be a coincidence that one of my first and dearest games (Starwing, aka Star Fox) has some secrets that you'd almost never figure out on you own, despite one of them being right there on the map screen.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Sekenr posted:

The last Steam News update said that they're going to be announcing their next project soon.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Entorwellian posted:

The last Steam News update said that they're going to be announcing their next project soon.

What if Disco Elysium is only this good because it's the game they always wanted to make and there are like a decade's worth of writing ideas all put in there and the next project will be thinner and less satisfying because they put all their best thoughts into the first game :ohdear:

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Brosnan posted:

What if Disco Elysium is only this good because it's the game they always wanted to make and there are like a decade's worth of writing ideas all put in there and the next project will be thinner and less satisfying because they put all their best thoughts into the first game :ohdear:

The Matrix Dilemma

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

pedro0930 posted:

You do know you can pop a pill and recover while the game is transitioning to black right?

I, too, started with only 1 health on my first run and even with how poor you are in the beginning there's enough health pick up and few enough encounters where you'll lose health you will be hard pressed to kill yourself.

Yes, I know, I wasn't asking for advice, thank you :)

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Brosnan posted:

I've already accepted that their next project isnt going to hit the heights of DE, but good writers are good writers and they'll still be miles ahead of the field with whatever they put out

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
It's the whole sophomore album problem. Keep in mind that some bands have excellent second releases.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

The Matrix Dilemma

Hey, they also made Speed Racer

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The writers made Disco’s writing feel so smooth and effortless that I actually believe they can top this first game.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

I think it's highly unlikely that they put everything they thought of into Disco Elysium... I know they cut out a lot of things because of time constraints or development constraints.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Also at the beginning of development they hadn't even thought of giving the skills their own personalities and dialogue, that only happened after the lead writer saw the art for the Drama skill.

The Thought Cabinet was also not originally planned, and almost didn't make it into the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X0-W5erEXw

In other words, a bunch of what makes DE so great hadn't even been contemplated until a good while into the development process. Imagine where they might go now that they've got DE's mechanics as a new baseline.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Oct 25, 2020

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Honestly DE was so good that I'm fine if its followups fail to achieve the same heights. It'd be hard for it to feel like wasted potential when ZA/UM already created one of the best written games I've ever played.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hardcore to the mega

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I bought this yesterday and there is something technically wrong here. I hard-locked hard enough yesterday shortly after starting as to have to hit the power switch; and now I seem to be locked on this screen, with none of the UI working, after clicking on the wood wall

I like the writing but this is getting old :(

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Turpitude II posted:

The Page 3 girl is discarded next to Roy's shop (or a bit north of it). Day 2-3.

As to the eyes:

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
Had my game bug out and it sent me to an empty black void. :(
But it also gave me the rare "Palerunner" achievement so that's nice. :)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Apparently the Palerunner achievement is for glitching the game, which definitely feels in line for DE.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ciaphas posted:

I bought this yesterday and there is something technically wrong here. I hard-locked hard enough yesterday shortly after starting as to have to hit the power switch; and now I seem to be locked on this screen, with none of the UI working, after clicking on the wood wall

This might sound crazy but - do you have two video output devices on your pc? I had the same problems, including hardlocking on that wood wall and overall the game seemed to run like rear end.

I usually mirror my display onto a monitor and to a TV so I can switch between the two at ease, when I adjusted windows to display ONLY to the monitor it solved all my problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Are there graphics options you can turn down? Maybe free up some ram.