Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

StormDrain posted:

You're in like, Oregon now right? I can't imagine putting that to enough use here in Denver.

I'm also in Oregon and have the same garbage set up. I've filled the bin two or three times just keeping a couple raised beds from overflowing onto the path to my backyard. I can't get over how well everything grows here. Especially with a bit of irrigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Yes I understand I was simplifying I pay very, very low taxes for my property and services. Now my tiny small business hoo boy ya want to talk about the ways the state has made mincemeat out of me? $12k fine for underreported sales of $5k (which would mean net $500 in unpaid taxes) over 3 years. It’s amazing! But yes I like when the claw machine comes

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

everdave posted:

Yes I understand I was simplifying I pay very, very low taxes for my property and services. Now my tiny small business hoo boy ya want to talk about the ways the state has made mincemeat out of me? $12k fine for underreported sales of $5k (which would mean net $500 in unpaid taxes) over 3 years. It’s amazing! But yes I like when the claw machine comes

I was just pointing out that taxes go to a lot of "little" standard-of-living niceties, like that.

In other news, political warning -- nope, it was just taken out of context

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 25, 2020

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

-

Grakkus fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 26, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

A lot of places have switched to fast tests from PCR, and there's a ridiculous chance, like 40% of returning a false negative, my buddy who exposed me was in contact with a + person, his girlfriend is +, their other friend they were hanging out with is +, they all have the classic symptoms, but my buddy's had 2 negative tests.

I can't even get a test after being exposed without any symptoms.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

So if you have a 40-minute conversation with somebody and it ends with you saying “thanks for the talk!” does it mean you’re an rear end in a top hat?

edit: the conversation was about an anime called Jojo’s Bizarre Adventures

more edit: I haven’t seen it and dammed sure don’t intend to now

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My rule is 'whoever doesn't talk about anime is the non-rear end in a top hat' and I'm 266-0 at this point.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Suffer not an anime to live.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

My rule is 'whoever doesn't talk about anime is the non-rear end in a top hat' and I'm 266-0 at this point.
A good rule.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

wallaka posted:

edit: the conversation was about an anime called Jojo’s Bizarre Adventures

more edit: I haven’t seen it and dammed sure don’t intend to now

I watched the first season and I still don't know what the gently caress it is and I have no desire to watch more of it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Galler posted:

I watched the first season and I still don't know what the gently caress it is and I have no desire to watch more of it.

You have to start at season 2. It turns into a circus

Fermented Tinal posted:

Suffer not an anime to live.

There's good anime, and the list pops up every time we mention it, but some anime is just too anime to bear. I don't even mean the stuff that's embarrassing to watch, or embarrassing to be caught watching, either. I want to like Attack on Titan so badly, I've tried to watch it 3 times, but it's painfully stuffed with the worst tropes to pad the run times. There's a 20-some odd minute episode that takes place inside of a 30 second countdown and every time, I lose all interest in the show immediately afterwards

I've actually started to interact with anime more passively, putting it on in the background while I play video games or do homework makes it easier to engage with somehow

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The Door Frame posted:

You have to start at season 2. It turns into a circus

There's good anime, and the list pops up every time we mention it, but some anime is just too anime to bear. I don't even mean the stuff that's embarrassing to watch, or embarrassing to be caught watching, either. I want to like Attack on Titan so badly, I've tried to watch it 3 times, but it's painfully stuffed with the worst tropes to pad the run times. There's a 20-some odd minute episode that takes place inside of a 30 second countdown and every time, I lose all interest in the show immediately afterwards

I've actually started to interact with anime more passively, putting it on in the background while I play video games or do homework makes it easier to engage with somehow

You are apparently me, the thing that stops people enjoying JoJo is the fact it's hard to tell if it's playing it straight or not in that first series because it's totally playing it straight when everything that goes on is very loving stupid. Second series on it just leans on the stupid a bit more and then you 'get' the whole JoJo thing they're doing. After that it all gets incredibly stupid and it revels in it and you just go with it. I think I got 3 series in and haven't bothered since though.

And you're very right about Titan. To me the concept was great, the idea of humanity being attacked by giants was really cool and then like you say it's anime trope city. The main character being a crybaby is by far the most annoying anime trope ever and I blame Evangelion entirely for it. And the episode thing too. I watched the first series because everyone was raving about it and there's 25 episodes. During which in some cases there's multiple minutes of recap. And a whole lot of whiny teen nonsense. I was so hosed off with it I counted how much actual action there was and it came to less than 24 whole minutes. Each episode is roughly 24 minutes long. There's one episode's worth of giant killing in a series about giants that's 25 episodes long. I genuinely don't understand how anyone stuck with it and I question quite what the gently caress it is that anime fans see in most of the billion episode stuff they watch...

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

Anyone wanting to "get into" anime without getting into anime so to speak should go watch Cowboy Bebop. It's not that "anime" at all, is a good science fiction show, is only one season, and despite being from the late 90s the English dub is so good that the creator of the show thinks it's excellent. It stars Steve Blum, who has an extremely prolific career as a voice actor and is probably best known as the animated voice actor for Wolverine since the late '00s, as well as being the voice of Toonami.

There's a really good 1080p blu-ray release of it that you can :files: up, and despite it being a 4:3 show it was totally shot with 16:9 in mind so if 4:3 annoys you, you can for the most part set VLC to crop to 16:9 and 99% of the shots are still perfectly framed

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

StormDrain posted:

You're in like, Oregon now right? I can't imagine putting that to enough use here in Denver. I do a couple big trims, and then a few little trims and cleanups that end up being a bag or two throughout the year. Grass is mulched into the lawn, the first fall of leaves are mulched in. My maple tree is about to drop it's load, same with the Apple, so I'll probably get a few bags but not too bad.

Yeah the difference between west OR and CO is radical. I have a friend in CO who has tried and failed to grow tomatoes for the 16 years I've known her. In OR it's like "whoops, I grew some tomatoes along with all the other poo poo I thought about growing but really didn't try and now it's here and I need to prune the plants or they will overgrow the side of my house".

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The last anime series I actually watched all the way through was Bleach, that was pretty good. Couldn't get through anything else after that. Tried the Titan series and couldn't do it, too much dumb drama and not enough action.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Borat 2 is cool and good. Highly recommend. IF you're like me and you 'download' all of your media, please note that most of the files out there do not have the much needed English subtitle track.

Just watch it on hulu like a normal person.

I have also been watching a bunch of these old Computer Chronicle episodes or putting them on the background while I do busy work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsSilNkU2yM

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Kazinsal posted:

Anyone wanting to "get into" anime without getting into anime so to speak should go watch Cowboy Bebop. It's not that "anime" at all, is a good science fiction show, is only one season, and despite being from the late 90s the English dub is so good that the creator of the show thinks it's excellent. It stars Steve Blum, who has an extremely prolific career as a voice actor and is probably best known as the animated voice actor for Wolverine since the late '00s, as well as being the voice of Toonami.

There's a really good 1080p blu-ray release of it that you can :files: up, and despite it being a 4:3 show it was totally shot with 16:9 in mind so if 4:3 annoys you, you can for the most part set VLC to crop to 16:9 and 99% of the shots are still perfectly framed

Yea seriously, Bebop is so good. If nothing else watch Jupiter Jazz Part 2, the best episode. I bought the perfect sessions in the 00s sometime and watch the series every year or two and it's still good every time. I've not seen any other animes to compare it to though

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fuckin nerds

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Fuckin nerds

Like you got any room to talk.

I realized the difference in the anime I enjoy vs the anime I bounce off of hard. The more serious the tone and style, generally the more I like it. The more cutsey it is and the more "slice of life" it tends toward, the less I like it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My standard point on anime is it's a medium not a genre. There's good and bad stuff all across the spectrum.

The filtering of what you get in the west as a function of what they thought would sell was very noticeable here in the 90s when Manga Entertainment were riding high.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

What's that orbital cleanup anime with the realistic mechanics I remember being mentioned?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Planetes.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

My standard point on anime is it's a medium not a genre. There's good and bad stuff all across the spectrum.

The filtering of what you get in the west as a function of what they thought would sell was very noticeable here in the 90s when Manga Entertainment were riding high.

My experience of the modern stuff is it's mostly bad. The truly good stuff is a rarity and the stuff Manga Entertainment brought over 25+ years was at least new and pushed boundaries...

64bit_Dophins posted:

Borat 2 is cool and good. Highly recommend. IF you're like me and you 'download' all of your media, please note that most of the files out there do not have the much needed English subtitle track.

I caught it earlier today and there were a few sections I was pissing myself laughing at. The couple of sections that were the most shocking but not for the reasons of Borat doing insane poo poo were the debutantes ball which just had this super creepy vibe (confirmed by the guy telling Borat how much he'd pay) and the conspiracy theory guys who just seemed like normal guys, nice even, just with a world view completely hosed by lies.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 25, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elmnt80 posted:

Like you got any room to talk.

As king nerd of AI I am allowed to judge

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

My experience of the modern stuff is it's mostly bad. The truly good stuff is a rarity and the stuff Manga Entertainment brought over 25+ years was at least new and pushed boundaries...
I agree, I think I haven't watched much of anything for ages now, because I just got annoyed by it.

It's kind of now at needing a really solid personal recommendation to make me try something.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I caught it earlier today and there were a few sections I was pissing myself laughing at. The couple of sections that were the most shocking but not for the reasons of Borat doing insane poo poo were the debutantes ball which just had this super creepy vibe (confirmed by the guy telling Borat how much he'd pay) and the conspiracy theory guys who just seemed like normal guys, nice even, just with a world view completely hosed by lies.

If you're looking for anime to watch check out Gunsmith Cats and Cyber City Odeo

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113236/

Gunsmith cats is only 3 eps but it features a Shelby GT500 and a lot of realistic guns. More or less mindless but very cool and fun.

The scene in Borat 2 where he asks the lady at the bakery to write "Jews will not replace us" on the cake and she actually does it really blew me away.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The only good anime is One Punch Man because it mocks the gently caress out of anime's worst tropes

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

I think he has a point.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I just watched dorohedoro on Netflix and enjoyed it and found it pleasantly weird.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Kazinsal posted:

If you've played a voice acted AAA videogame in the last 15 years you know Steve Blum's voice. Dude is incredibly prolific.

64bit_Dophins posted:

If you're looking for anime to watch check out Gunsmith Cats and Cyber City Odeo

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113236/

Gunsmith cats is only 3 eps but it features a Shelby GT500 and a lot of realistic guns. More or less mindless but very cool and fun.

The artist behind GSC, Kenichi Sonoda, has a new OVA coming out soon set in a version of the same universe as well. Dunno if the plots going to be any good, but his obsessive level of detail on guns and cars should make it watchable.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 26, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

64bit_Dophins posted:

Cyber City Odeo

The scene in Borat 2 where he asks the lady at the bakery to write "Jews will not replace us" on the cake and she actually does it really blew me away.

Cyber City is like the perfect series in that it's incredibly cool looking, the characters are all lovable arseholes and it does all it needs to and just stops after an episode each. Too many series are a decade long and they really loving drag and offer nothing different from one week to the next to the point where you're watching it because you've spent so much time doing so previously.

And the Borat thing is definitely a lot of Americans are too nice and non-confrontational when faced with 'backwards' foreigners which is why the babysitter is such a loving gem in the movie, she was not putting up with his poo poo. The Jewish ladies towards the end too were pure gold.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

If you've played a voice acted AAA videogame in the last 15 years you know Steve Blum's voice. Dude is incredibly prolific.

Obnoxiously prolific. I started playing a Metro game, got 90 seconds in and heard Steve Blum doing that lovely Russian accent, and just closed the game and haven't touched it since. His voice instantly breaks suspension for me, like hearing Gilbert Gottfried outside of Aladdin.

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Well, 4 more weeks til I lay off my worker and have the office to myself until March. Even though he's down the hallway and in an office by himself I'm always paranoid of getting sick.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

I will not even dispute this.

Got our first snowfall this weekend. Freezing nuts cold this morning getting into the Lexus to head to work. I need to get the garage space cleaned and organized so I can have it parked inside for the winter.

Or I just need to move where there is no winter cold. Arizona is a good place even though it is all pink, brown and tan right? IOC lives there. Can't be all that bad.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cakesmith handyman posted:

On the plus side I watched ready player one and really really enjoyed it, then watched it with my son who really really enjoyed it, :3: then finally found my copy of Constantine which I've been wanting to watch forever so there's that.

Go watch the Contantine series. It's better, but unfortunately only got one season. Though they did have the same actor as John show up in other DC series, including animated.

kastein posted:

I put a disposable mask over the vent when around other people or inside buildings I'm not the only occupant of for that exact reason. The earloops just go over the filter pods instead of my ears.

That's a neat idea. May try something like that with my reusable non-pod-style mask (because that mask is more comfortable than earloop masks, but has germ cannon vents on it.) It's got behind the head velcro straps and is a bit stiffer, so stands away from my mouth and nose. Also has charcoal filters.

nm posted:

What I did learn is that my legacy Wagon is marginally longer than my agent's range rover. The more you know I guess.

I was surprised to learn that or Outback is longer than the equivalent Forester. I thought the Forester had been bumped up to "small SUV". They are taller inside, at least.

Rhyno posted:

Attended a benefit for my assaulted friend last night. Donation bucket totalled almost $500 and the silent auction was looking to hit about a grand. And the brewery was donating all proceeds from 3 microbrews and ciders to his fund. Really good vibes and everyone wore masks and stayed distant!
This guy is so loved that two more local places are having benefits for him. And he's physically doing well as of last night so that is great. Sounds very likely that his family is going to bring him back here when he is released so while that sucks for the life he was building at least we'll all be able to help if needed.

It's really heartening to hear that folks are willing to help out when everything else is basically poo poo. It sucks mightily that it happened, but the response is uplifting. Thanks for posting updates.

Ether Frenzy posted:

I will talk about anime, but not exclusively. Not that I've really seen any anime recently, other than bits and pieces while my daughter is watching various things on the Netflix et. al. I have not watched Jojo, and don't really plan on it.
Also, I'm probably an rear end in a top hat anyway.

Redline is pretty good - one episode and (future/sci-fi) car-related. There's also one about working-class people in space cleaning up orbital debris I kind of want to see. I forget the name just this second.

cakesmith handyman posted:

What's that orbital cleanup anime with the realistic mechanics I remember being mentioned?

Wow. Uh... great minds, etc.?

Track down Riding Bean. It's only a one episode OVA. Same guy who did Gunsmith Cats, (the Rally Vincent character is in both) and he's making a sequel via Kickstarter right now.

Liquid Communism posted:

The artist behind GSC, Kenichi Sonoda, has a new OVA coming out soon set in a version of the same universe as well. Dunno if the plots going to be any good, but his obsessive level of detail on guns and cars should make it watchable.

...and that would be the Kickstarter I was talking about. Y'all need to get out of my head.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Or I just need to move where there is no winter cold. Arizona is a good place even though it is all pink, brown and tan right? IOC lives there. Can't be all that bad.

It wasn't horrible when I went there last year(?) to buy my Outback from morethanjeff and drive it back to TX. OR when I ferried a lease-return Cutlass Ciera back from Phoenix to TX 30 years ago.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I come from a long line of people too stupid to realize that Arizona shouldn't exist so my judgement should not be trusted.

https://twitter.com/NWSPhoenix/status/1318381423011663873/photo/1

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

There's a new-ish (2016) HD Blu-Ray of Riding Bean available:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madoverlord/riding-bean-high-octane-edition-anime-blu-ray/description
https://www.animeigo.com/products/anime/riding-bean

but it's on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQy2ZK_T7AY

(Beware, late '80s anime tits in a few places, if that sort of thing bothers you.)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

IOwnCalculus posted:

I come from a long line of people too stupid to realize that Arizona shouldn't exist so my judgement should not be trusted.

https://twitter.com/NWSPhoenix/status/1318381423011663873/photo/1

Holdbrooks moved there too, but :popeye:

That settles it. Move to St George is the long term plan. Live out my days and watch myself become a boomer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Liquid Communism posted:

Sick I can't wait!

I hope there are more cars in this one. I also really like Mei :D

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Cyber City is like the perfect series in that it's incredibly cool looking, the characters are all lovable arseholes and it does all it needs to and just stops after an episode each. Too many series are a decade long and they really loving drag and offer nothing different from one week to the next to the point where you're watching it because you've spent so much time doing so previously.

And the Borat thing is definitely a lot of Americans are too nice and non-confrontational when faced with 'backwards' foreigners which is why the babysitter is such a loving gem in the movie, she was not putting up with his poo poo. The Jewish ladies towards the end too were pure gold.

It really is but I still wish it got more episodes.