Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sorry to hear that Evil, I hope you're doing okay. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
If what had happened when my dad snuffed it five years ago was happening right now, I think I'd probably be thinking like one of those anti-mask, anti-lockdown loons because the one thing that I am absolutely sure brought him comfort that when the consultant rather matter of factly said "we're turning the ventilator off now", he was surrounded by about twenty members of his closest family, including his sister who managed to fly in from deepest, darkest Donegal

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

WhatEvil posted:

My Mum died yesterday morning. She had a turn for the worse last weekend, and she stopped being able to take in any nutrition and was in a lot of pain, so they switched to palliative care and gave her morphine.

I was able to have a couple of video calls with her when my family was visiting her, but she wasn't able to talk because of the morphine and the tiredness. She could understand me though, was able to wave at me and give very slight nods at stuff. It was good to be able to talk to her but very difficult to see her like that. Luckily I was also able to talk to her last Friday before her turn, and she was in good spirits then.

I don't know whether to try and come back for her cremation. She didn't want a funeral but it sounds like my immediate family are going to get together for a no-service cremation. I'd have to hop on a plane and probably break the cremation rules. My Dad said I didn't need to come back but my brother said he doesn't want me to regret it.

They're going to scatter her ashes on Pen y Fan, one of her favourite places to go walking - that's what she wanted. It probably won't happen til the spring, so I'm hoping to be able to get back for that.

What a load of poo poo, though. Would really have liked to have seen her, but my brothers and even my Dad weren't able to see her until she took her turn and they moved her to her own room. I feel awful for all of the families going through the same thing right now. I don't think I'll come back for the service - I'd hate to think that I might get Covid and pass it on to anyone, which could lead to another family feeling like this.

gently caress, I'm sorry WhatEvil. It's not about me but my dad died just before lockdown. I was lucky to get to see him, but he was completely unresponsive. The last message I got to get through to him was that my football team beat his. Apparently he woke up long enough to acknowledge this.

There's nothing I or anyone else can say that will make you feel better. The restrictions are poo poo. Everything is poo poo. Just know there are people around you - in this thread and in real life - who can help you if you need it. PM me if you need to.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

That too, I can't imagine going to a funeral when you can't even show affection to people.

When Dad died 10 years ago, we had a good ole Irish wake and funeral.
We had new Australian members to the clan by marriage, and they were sort of shocked how we were both laughing and crying together at it.
They never really did that themselves, it was more solemn separate reflection event.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Shameless self post but god bless are troops

https://twitter.com/JernlovCT/status/1320493096078090245?s=19

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I heard the choppers leave to go gently caress up that oil tanker earlier.

Well I assume thats what it was for, they could have been going down the chippy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lest we forget the time that battleship crashed into the loving beach like an idiot.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Condolences WhatEvil, for what it's worth I think your brother's probably right about if you're able to go down.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Those places are full of shitheads because of bigger king shitheads in London. Or do you think there's a genetic component?

There's a genetic component for sure, statistically Londoners have a far higher preponderence of Fpr-chad6 than the wider UK population, would love to hear your thoughts on the subject.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Wait, war christmas has its own coca cola truck?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Lest we forget the time that battleship crashed into the loving beach like an idiot.

:911:

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
That poo poo makes me cringe even as a member of the armed forces.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also love too parachute out of a bomber flying like 100 feet off the ground. In the first world war apparently.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

it's not just normal ships

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:lmao:

Keep it there, make it a new nuclear power station.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I honestly thought when I read that wiki entry that that was one of the trident subs, which would have been a more horrifying lol

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/BenBradleyTV/status/1318937822972284928

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

I respect are clipart troops, boldly bearing the weight of that famous British army rifle, the M16.

https://www.vectorstock.com/royalty-free-vector/silhouettes-of-soldiers-vector-1241504

Edit: Getting in an edit before some gun nerds point out it is an m4-sopmod and actually a british unit used them and actually actually actually.

Desiderata fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 26, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You know it's not the standard British service rifle because it works.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Condolences WhatEvil.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Endjinneer posted:

https://twitter.com/amandamilling/status/1319753071602372613

A handy list of politicians who think that a throwaway comment in the house of commons matters more than child poverty.
Keith will have his hands full trying to capitulate his way to victory over this, so maybe we could write back to these MPs with some advice on the relative values of words vs deeds? They do like letters after all.
Anyone got the chops to pull the names of that letter and match it with the directory of MPs?

Condolences WhatEvil. Sorry for your loss.

Hang on a second I thought facts didn't care about your feelings????

Also yeah, sorry whatevil, that sucks a big pile of rear end.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Really sorry to hear that, it's an awful time for it. Hope you're OK.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Oh come on, after about 15 years and getting the Germans to redesign the thing they got a useable version of the SA80 eventually!

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

why doesn't everyone just use the ak47? Cheap as hell, you can treat them like crap and never maintain them, and the wood bits look nice.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The wide fucker cartridge is overkill.

Which is why they should use the AK-74 instead. Or a regionally acceptable clone like many places did.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

kecske posted:

why doesn't everyone just use the ak47? Cheap as hell, you can treat them like crap and never maintain them, and the wood bits look nice.
"But how would that feed colossal sums of government money to our own arms manufacturers?"
[Country overrun by rebels toting cheap but operative AKs while expensive high-tech weapons jam or fall to bits]

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Every so often the army gets the idea that it would quite like it if they could find a way to make the soldiers cooler, and asks for new guns, often at the same time as arguing that the uniform needs to be stupid in some way because it's been stupid for a hundred years.

Also at least they aren't americans who apparently like spending money on horrifying anime swords for their soldiers to carry around solemnly

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

All I can say about our armed services is that I am exceptionally glad they have decided that Friday afternoons don't exist, and also I don't pass this on to my schedulers so if I do get an MoD call on a Friday afternoon I can quite happily sack it off

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

OwlFancier posted:

Also at least they aren't americans who apparently like spending money on horrifying anime swords for their soldiers to carry around solemnly

well how else are they going to slay the fire monster

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

All I can say about our armed services is that I am exceptionally glad they have decided that Friday afternoons don't exist, and also I don't pass this on to my schedulers so if I do get an MoD call on a Friday afternoon I can quite happily sack it off

Friday morning knock offs are part of the offer, I drive 250 miles (pre covid) each way on the weekends so I can go home, we also realise that gently caress all is getting done unlike the rest of you who just while away Friday afternoons clock watching. Army leads the way in creating a 3 day weekend.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also a lot of the time since the mid-late 80's when they ask for new guns they don't necessarily end up actually using any of them, especially in the US. They hold a lot of trials and spend a lot of money building guns with 1993 vintage CCTV cameras glued to them and then usually go back to using the same gun they've used for a while but maybe with some new stuff stuck on it. Same also applies to tanks.

I do wonder what will happen in the future as far as that goes because military procurement has really had a lot of problems since the cold war and ended and all government spending turned entirely into pork barrels rather than just being mostly pork barrels. I wonder if it will go back to the old style of some rich guy buys a bunch of equipment for his own personal regiment.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 26, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

kecske posted:

I thought kalashnikovs were the go-to cheap, cheerful and extremely low maintenance rifles?

School meals:

So the tories are more upset that it's bad publicity than that they voted for it:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/oct/25/no-10-under-growing-pressure-to-u-turn-over-free-school-meals

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 26, 2020

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

OwlFancier posted:

That's some Real Country™ poo poo lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They are but most NATO aligned countries have some historical objection to using warsaw pact weaponry :v:

Notable and funny exception being Finland, also Israel

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 26, 2020

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Friday morning knock offs are part of the offer, I drive 250 miles (pre covid) each way on the weekends so I can go home, we also realise that gently caress all is getting done unlike the rest of you who just while away Friday afternoons clock watching. Army leads the way in creating a 3 day weekend.

Trust me, I have not told my scheduling team (outsourced to Romania) that most MoD and related bases are closed after midday on a Friday so if they dump a call for one of those in my queue mid-morning, I'm pretty much heading home while giving the impression that I'm going to try and do the call

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

OwlFancier posted:

They are but most NATO aligned countries have some historical objection to using warsaw pact weaponry :v:

Notable and funny exception being Finland, also Israel

One reason is standardised calibres of NATO weapons along with it not always great to use weapons that have the same accoustics as your enemies, I know the difference between an AK/PKM/DSSHK out & incoming Vs SA80, GPMG and 50.cal helps to aid in orientation and control measures.

Operating with ex Warsaw pact countries increases the chances of fraticide if AFV recognition isn't up to scratch.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

MonkeyLibFront posted:

One reason is standardised calibres of NATO weapons along with it not always great to use weapons that have the same accoustics as your enemies, I know the difference between an AK/PKM/DSSHK out & incoming Vs SA80, GPMG and 50.cal helps to aid in orientation and control measures.

Operating with ex Warsaw pact countries increases the chances of fraticide if AFV recognition isn't up to scratch.

Interesting. Hadn't thought of that aspect of things (the acoustics).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just reading some 1962 history - race riots (which seem to be by white men), Mosely rally attacked by large crowds (200 police including 10 mounted also at the rally).

(I didn't realize Mosely had been a Labour MP before joining the British Union of Fascists. (One of my nans was engaged to a guy and dumped him after 4 years when he joined the black shirts but that was 1930s not 1962).

Anyway:

quote:

Story number 4420. The British government passed the Commonwealth Immigration Bill on April 18th, 1962, this removed the principle of free entry to Britain for all Commonwealth citizens, and many believe demonstrated tacit support to the idea that the black population of British were a 'problem'. The year of 1962 subsequently saw anti-black riots ensuing in Dudley, Smethwick, Wolverhampton, Accrington and Leeds.

https://www.macearchive.org/films/midlands-news-01081962-vox-pops-dudley-race-riots

Mosely rally:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/july/31/newsid_2776000/2776295.stm

quote:

1962: Violence flares at Mosley rally
Former fascist leader Sir Oswald Mosley has been assaulted at a rally in London's east end.
He and members of his anti-Semitic Blackshirt group were punched to the ground as soon as his meeting opened at Ridley Road, Dalston.

Police were forced to close the meeting within three minutes and made 54 arrests - including Sir Oswald's son Max.

A crowd of several thousand had gathered in the area, where Sir Oswald, leader of the Union Movement formerly known as the British Union of Fascists, planned to speak from the back of a lorry.

As soon as he appeared from between two police buses the crowd surged forward and knocked Sir Oswald to the ground.

He tried to fight back from the cobbles, before police helped him to climb on the lorry prepared for his address.

etc

Smallpox outbreak in South Wales - 19 died and 900000 vaccinated!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18365385

quote:

The outbreak started in January 1962 when Shuka Mia arrived in Cardiff from Pakistan and was diagnosed with the disease.

In total, 19 people died - six in the Llantrisant and Rhondda areas and 13 in Bridgend. Shuka Mia was not one of them.

During that period, 900,000 people were vaccinated and a huge operation was mounted to trace contacts and contain the outbreak.

Seems there's nothing new under the sun!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Vitamin P posted:

There's a genetic component for sure, statistically Londoners have a far higher preponderence of Fpr-chad6 than the wider UK population, would love to hear your thoughts on the subject.

No it’s ok. I officially give up. London is fine and my words were hyperbolic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Someone let the incels know about the chad gene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I used to think I missed London. Then I realised I just missed being able to hop on the tube to go visit my older brother or sister for a free meal as I was a poor student.

Now just need to convince them to move up north in time for the secession of the North. Free flat caps and a whippet for every household!