Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
The amount of pressure Kershaw has for this next game...

It very well might end up defining his career. Win or lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slip
Jan 20, 2001
Several beers and a sleep later and I still can't loving believe it

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Popete posted:

Also, Russians watch baseball?

I remember a 1993 Topps card with a trio of Russian prospects. While looking that up, turns out that MLB has a story on the guys on it.

MLB posted:

Bob Fontaine Jr. entered the scene in 1990. The director of scouting for the California Angels was always thinking outside the box and outside the border. He and the Angels' farm director, Bill Bavasi, wanted to find new talent for their Major League team ... anywhere.
Fontaine read about the fledgling baseball program in the Soviet Union and remembered how quickly that country had become a world power in basketball and ice hockey once the commitment had been made.
So he sought out the advice of a former college baseball player in Iowa turned baseball coach in Moscow named Bob Protexter, and embarked on a long-term plan to build a pipeline of scouting and player development that would eventually pump fresh talent from Red Square all the way to Anaheim.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I remember a 1993 Topps card with a trio of Russian prospects. While looking that up, turns out that MLB has a story on the guys on it.

Queued up to read this later, this is sick. Thanks for posting

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it is clear that having one of two ownership groups willing to spend money, a top front office, an absurdly stacked roster, a rotation topped by a faded but still effective pitcher who is one of the greatest in the history of the sport, and mookie loving betts is not enough for the dodgers to handle whatever curse they are dealing with. It is a crazy season, and rob manfred should offer to give the dodgers one more advantage to stop them from being the perennial choking toilet team. That's right, i am proposing that the dodgers should be allowed to bang cans.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

R.D. Mangles posted:

That's right, i am proposing that the dodgers should be allowed to bang cans.

Where have you gone, Cody Bellinger
Our dugout bangs a garbage can for you
Ooo hoo hoooo
What’s that you say, Mr. Ji-Man Choi
The Dodger Curse will never go away
Aay hay haaay
Aay hay haaay

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
If someone who's good at photoshop puts rap Will Smith's face on baseball Will Smith's body in a shot from the play last night I'll make it an avatar and change my name to WILL SMITHS BONER

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
When Roberts was walking out to the mound before Arozarena's AB, Jansen clearly said 'gently caress him' angrily. Unsure who he was referring to lol

MerklesBoner
Apr 5, 2003

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

If someone who's good at photoshop puts rap Will Smith's face on baseball Will Smith's body in a shot from the play last night I'll make it an avatar and change my name to WILL SMITHS BONER

I have only moral support to lend, but I hope this happens.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I had the craziest dream last night that the Dodgers were all replaced with people who have never seen a baseball before for one play last night

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The winning runner falling down while heading home reminded me of this Cubs game from nearly 20 years ago, which also had the added craziness of their celebrity 7th inning stretch singer being removed from the stadium for threatening Angel Hernandez after a bad call:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6htcE_vvZxg

I'm glad someone got to that one before I did. I remember watching that live and being utterly confused at how it ended in a Cubs win. So bizarre.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
The play last night was so nuts my non baseball watching (other than what I force her to) wife just asked if Jomboy had a video up for it yet.

Side note - my wife likes Jomboy breakdown vids in part cause she thinks he sounds like the guy that played Nick on "New Girl" and I can never not hear that now.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
That whole bottom half of the inning was nuts before the play even happened. Tsutsugo making an appearance for... reasons? Kiermaier literally inching out a hit from the outstretched Hernandez. Wendle hitting a loving rocket, robbed by a great jump and running catch. Arozarena coming back from a 1-2 count to walk. And then magic. Just nuts.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
It took a few more Dodgers singles to complete the 9th-inning collapse, but Matt Holliday's error for the Cardinals in 2009 came to mind.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Excerpt from Posnanski's article about the game. All us Dodger fans are Eeyore:

Joe Posnanski posted:

It just kept getting wilder and wilder. The Dodgers took the lead back in the seventh when Joc Pederson’s base-loaded single — all hail the single! — scored Seager and Turner.

That single had a very strange effect on Dodgers’ manager Dave Roberts. I have a friend, let’s call him Eeyore, who is an utterly miserable Dodgers fan. I don’t mean he’s miserable to deal with — he’s a delightful guy, one of my favorite people — I mean he’s always miserable when it comes to Los Angeles baseball, always convinced that the Dodgers are doomed to fall into a manhole or have a piano fall on their heads. A week into this odd season, Mookie Betts was hitting around .200 and had not yet hit a home run.

“I’m not impressed,” Eeyore texted me.

“You’re not impressed with Mookie Betts?” I asked. “Are you crazy?”

“He will probably be a bust,” he texted forlornly.

One of Eeyore’s most persistent worries is that Roberts is going to blow the World Series again — he is utterly convinced that Roberts blew the last two World Series appearances along with last year’s NLDS. I am expected in our relationship to stand up for Roberts, a role I take seriously because I like the guy and think his .615 career winning percentage — which ties him with Joe McCarthy for best winning percentage for a manager with more than 500 games — is worth defending.

That said, I’m dreading the texts that are going to come today. After Báez’s rough sixth inning, Roberts told him that he was done for the day. But when the Dodgers took the lead back, some sort of odd chemical reaction sparked in Roberts’ brain, and he decided to send Báez out there to start the seventh inning. I have no idea why. Naturally, Kevin Kiermaier homered to tie the game, and Roberts could be seen on the bench just shaking his head sadly, and I imagine the thoughts he was having were not formed by words but instead by the darkest emojis ever designed.*

Roberts bizarrely didn’t pull Báez even then. Instead, he just watched as Báez walked Yandy Díaz and faced Arozarena. It didn’t blow up like it should have — Arozarena grounded the ball right up the middle and because of the defensive alignment that ended up a double play — but this was managerial malpractice. Eeyore is going to be a handful.

https://theathletic.com/2159486/2020/10/25/posnanski-game-4-rays-dodgers-epic-battle/?source=emp_shared_article

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Baez thing is ridiculous and reminds me of Dave accidentally removing Rich Hill because of a miscommunication.

But ultimately it was a complete defensive meltdown on the play that cost that game.

Dodgers either losing this series now or win in 7 with Herculean starts from Kersh and Buehler

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I’m glad the Rays are making this a series and not just getting gentleman’s swept into the cold dark night

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Spoeank posted:

I had the craziest dream last night that the Dodgers were all replaced with people who have never seen a baseball before for one play last night

I think of it as Taylor having a brief flashback to the start of his career and the innate Marinerness came out.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

I honestly thought they still had it even after the hit because they could have gotten ahead in the 10th again.

Then they replaced their players with Larry, Curly and Moe...

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I honestly don't even know how to turn the game on tonight. I might have to wait until like the 3rd inning to check in, once the talking heads have exhausted what there is to say about that play

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
https://twitter.com/DOM_Frederic/status/1320435188271353857?s=19

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
How much extra to get Randall Simon's bat?

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

I hate and love baseball

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I honestly don't even know how to turn the game on tonight. I might have to wait until like the 3rd inning to check in, once the talking heads have exhausted what there is to say about that play

I have been feeling the same way but I will likely cave and watch the whole thing anyway (because I am weak and crave pain)

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

dodgers fans i urge you to self care and mute joe buck

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

A talking coyote posted:

I honestly thought they still had it even after the hit because they could have gotten ahead in the 10th again.

Then they replaced their players with Larry, Curly and Moe...
Yeah despite how close that game was last night I was not really stressed at all during it. I just had a calm faith that the offense would keep it up and they’d win in the end. Then it all crumbled to ash in an instant.

Before that 9th inning I was thinking how low-stress this series had been and how weird it would be for them to finally win it all without being loving terrified. So much for that!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

people say that overtime playoff hockey is the most stressful and i understand because it all can end at any second out of nowhere and everyone's flying around, but postseason baseball is the worst, just an unceasing creeping dread for four hours.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

R.D. Mangles posted:

people say that overtime playoff hockey is the most stressful and i understand because it all can end at any second out of nowhere and everyone's flying around, but postseason baseball is the worst, just an unceasing creeping dread for four hours.

Hockey is constant but baseball gives you time to ponder your own inescapable dread and the utter meaninglessness of it all

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Bregor posted:

Hockey is constant but baseball gives you time to ponder your own inescapable dread and the utter meaninglessness of it all

Der Meister posted:

I hate and love baseball

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

During the rain delay in game 7 of the 2016 World Series, while everyone else in the stands went for cover in the concourses at Progressive Field, I just sat there in a nearly-empty section and let the freezing cold rain pour over me as I thought about how miserable it was that the Cubs blew that lead, and how they would come so close yet again without crossing that threshold of a championship

Fortunately, things turned around next inning.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Oh my God, is Burns going to do a series just about the Negro Leagues?!?

Because that would be the coolest thing of all time

https://twitter.com/nlbmprez/status/1320547377674158082?s=21

Bregor
May 31, 2013

That was a fun game and we got Captain Crotch Chop so it’s all good

https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1320565686863826944?s=21

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Lfg Dodgers

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

R.D. Mangles posted:

God let this be over.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
With that Kershaw is almost certainly gonna end the 2020 postseason with an ERA under 3 and a WHIP under 1. Both are higher than his regular season numbers, obviously. But yeah, makes me happy. Hope he gets his ring and we can all stop pretending his legacy will be anything other 'was the best pitcher of his generation and one of the best lefties since integration.'

I really hate his post-season struggles just because I think it makes people forget just how bananas his career has actually been.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

StatCast FINALLY made up their mind about that Muncy homer

https://twitter.com/MLBBarrelAlert/status/1320571191632007168?s=20

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

alpha_destroy posted:

With that Kershaw is almost certainly gonna end the 2020 postseason with an ERA under 3 and a WHIP under 1. Both are higher than his regular season numbers, obviously. But yeah, makes me happy. Hope he gets his ring and we can all stop pretending his legacy will be anything other 'was the best pitcher of his generation and one of the best lefties since integration.'

I really hate his post-season struggles just because I think it makes people forget just how bananas his career has actually been.

Yeah, people gauging performance on the biggest stage rather than vs hapless NL teams is so unfair.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
For years there have been way more dead weight tanking AL teams than NL, what the gently caress are you smoking

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Lightning won the Stanley Cup the day before the Rays and Jays played game 1 of the WC series. Win or lose, I'll be happy to loving breathe again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
The rays are a good team and I'm glad this has been a fun series so far, for all the ups and downs.