Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think baiting the forward fire breath by standing in front of his head(and a bit to the side for safety) is definitely the easiest way to do it.

also the only things that are cheese in dark souls is like, throwing stuff over the capra/manus fog walls to kill them without entering the arena. or I guess ds1 tumblebuff+moveset swap to 1shot bosses with a spinning crystal magic weapon dragontooth as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The best way to defeat the ancient dragon is to not fight him at all, and achieve inner peace. namaste

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The one time I bothered I'm pretty sure I just barfed hexes at him and ate a few dozen lifegems while flash sweating

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Best cheese, imo, is by not pulling levers in Heide's and making Dragonrider fall to his death in 3 seconds.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
that's just a prank

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Best and worst cheese cause it saves maybe a minute over beating him by moving right and hitting r1 occasionally

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s not even a real dragon!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Vendrick and all 3 bosses of Shulva are dead. Elana is a dirty cheater for summoning Velstadt twice. :argh: Also I wish I had found my bro Benhart's summon sign and hadn't gone in with only punch lady. The main run of Brume Tower is also like 96% cleared. Sadly I was not extraordinarily lucky enough to get the Smelter Hammer without trying.

Shulva is just a wee bit too criss-crossy for my liking and that last descent down to Elana is very...blah, but otherwise I dig it. The ghost knights are a cool gimmick that I somehow have never had spoiled. The Zelda switch stuff is ok. Could've done without the corrosive bugs though the big ambush was suitably dramatic.

Brume Tower was reasonably fun and Zelda dungeon-y as well but some of the encounters are a little unnecessarily extra and/or tedious and boy is it easy to miss one of the like eight side paths that also usually just hide a single item.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I consider any strat that combines no skill needed and very low risk to be cheesing. This includes taking out ogres with poison arrows, poking the Ancient Dragon's toes and hitting Pinwheel in the heads with a large sword in DS1.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

axolotl farmer posted:

I consider any strat that combines no skill needed and very low risk to be cheesing. This includes taking out ogres with poison arrows, poking the Ancient Dragon's toes and hitting Pinwheel in the heads with a large sword in DS1.

If poking the Ancient Dragon's toes let you completely ignore what the boss was doing, that might be true, but it doesn't. There are multiple attacks that the dragon has that can hit you, and one of those attacks is a (build-dependent, admittedly) OHKO.

It's a strategy for fighting the boss relatively safely, it's not a cheese strat like throwing dung pies over the Capra Demon fog wall.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's sort of like Vendrick. The way you kill him is real tedious but simple. But if you screw up he wallops you and you probably die. It is perhaps low skill in mechanical execution, but it's an endurance fight.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Gank Squad boss will never not be funny

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's sort of like Vendrick. The way you kill him is real tedious but simple. But if you screw up he wallops you and you probably die. It is perhaps low skill in mechanical execution, but it's an endurance fight.

And it's basically the same strategy as the Last Giant/Giant Lord. Really makes u think.

RBA Starblade posted:

The Gank Squad boss will never not be funny

Props to my summon buddies for actually doing a respectable job. I was able to focus on the ranger and they managed to nearly take out the berserker on their own. Naturally it came down to a long, tedious 1v1 between me and the last one.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
My friend beat Vendrick with only 4 souls by facing him headon and rolling through all his attacks. I was baffled.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I've never fought the Ancient Dragon so I've always faced Vendrick with 4 souls. He hits like a truck but he's easy to dodge so it's not that hard of a fight, just a bit of a slog.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
if u killed ancient dragon u are a dishonorable murderer who also probably killed priscilla and are a bigot

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

if u killed ancient dragon u are a dishonorable murderer who also probably killed priscilla and are a bigot

That's why you avenge the Ancient Dragon by killing the 'Ancient Dragon'

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

4 souls is the usual number because killing Ancient Dragon is way more difficult, tedious, and pointless than 4 soul Vendrick.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Look, if she would have just given me her tail or not been mad at me for chopping it off, I wouldn't have had to kill her. Basically she started it.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Look Sir Droids posted:

Look, if she would have just given me her tail or not been mad at me for chopping it off, I wouldn't have had to kill her. Basically she started it.

There's some arcane set of circumstances where you can aggro Priscilla, then leave the Painted World without killing her, then seek absolution. I think it's something like if you have the Lordvessel and don't rest at the Painted World bonfire, then boning out will take you out of the Painted World. I think that means you can have a tailless, friendly Priscilla

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Regy Rusty posted:

4 souls is the usual number because killing Ancient Dragon is way more difficult, tedious, and pointless than 4 soul Vendrick.
There's a way to cause the Ancient Dragon to just loop the stomp attack over and over again rendering the fight trivial. I haven't done it in years but it had something to do with standing between the toes, waiting for the windup, and running to the other foot.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Volte posted:

There's a way to cause the Ancient Dragon to just loop the stomp attack over and over again rendering the fight trivial. I haven't done it in years but it had something to do with standing between the toes, waiting for the windup, and running to the other foot.
This is how I did it and it's super easy. There's a video on youtube somewhere.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Very first drop from the very first Iron Warrior after I start farming: Minotaur Helm, lol. ...Followed by several more cycles to get them to drop anything at all, which thankfully was my chicken leg. :toot:

The more important takeaway from this was that man, fatigue really does gently caress me up. The other night I wasn't struggling against the Iron Warriors necessarily, but they felt like a pain to fight. Today they're barely an issue.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Illusory wall just posted this. Soothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rejwEGKOApg

IbrahimSom
May 30, 2020

by Pragmatica
Is souls 2 soft immense or what

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Like my dick, it's hard immense

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

IbrahimSom posted:

Is souls 2 soft immense or what

wat

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
(I'm sure they meant SotFS instead of soft)

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Hey if I play this on PC can someone malicious corrupt your save file if you allow multiplayer?

Haven't played this one and starting a new game and wondering if I need to disable netplay.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I don't think so. If so, I haven't encountered someone doing that in the like 600 hours I've played.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

comedyblissoption posted:

Hey if I play this on PC can someone malicious corrupt your save file if you allow multiplayer?

Haven't played this one and starting a new game and wondering if I need to disable netplay.

On PC it's not hard to back up your save file just in case, but loving with saves for trolling was never as big with 2 as it is with 3. And between the age of the game and how invaders have a massive pool of potential targets, human invasions are pretty rare outside of the designated zones. You can also block invasions completely in-game for a bit by burning an effigy at a bonfire, and you get a free temp invader suppression in an area after beating the boss there.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Back in the day I wanna say it was a somewhat common thing for rear end in a top hat hackers to pop in and kill all of your NPCs? But at this point I doubt they're a thing.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Ok I'm gonna enable online for the soapstone messages and hope there's not some dude that's been hack griefing in dark souls 2 for 6 years straight

Weedle
May 31, 2006

comedyblissoption posted:

Ok I'm gonna enable online for the soapstone messages and hope there's not some dude that's been hack griefing in dark souls 2 for 6 years straight

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I've done several full runs as a human and never got a hacker

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Maybe it was just a bad night for Dark Souls, but I'm not particularly fond of any of the three Iron King bosses. I see their merits in the abstract (even blue Smelter), but for my build and level of skill they're just obnoxious.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Maybe it was just a bad night for Dark Souls, but I'm not particularly fond of any of the three Iron King bosses. I see their merits in the abstract (even blue Smelter), but for my build and level of skill they're just obnoxious.

Fume knight and Sir Alonne made me realise that 2 just isn't a fun souls experience and go back to Bloodborne/DS1/DS3.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
what the gently caress, I don't like ds2 much but both those bosses rule. especially fume

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
fume is one of the best bosses in the series what are you guys on about. He's tough but fair, and his gimmick ties in to the area and can mostly be defused by exploring thoroughly.
Alonne is a mixed bag for me, and blue smelter is hot garbage (like all co-op zone things in the DLC).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Alonne is pretty cool himself, but the obnoxious run-up to his fight means I'm not going near him ever again.