Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Gave Punk a pity vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

An important part of the Shockmaster gimmick is that after the infamous part of the gimmick fell apart, he became a construction worker and won a War Games match.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

NienNunb posted:

Honestly a lot of what punk said is cringe and he only had good matches with John Cena so...

Hold on he also had at least one good match with Daniel Bryan

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

rare Magic card l00k posted:

An important part of the Shockmaster gimmick is that after the infamous part of the gimmick fell apart, he became a construction worker and won a War Games match.

Voted for Shockmaster, but your comment does now make me wonder why the Real Man's Man Steven Regal was never nominated considering where the storyline was apparently going.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Wait, that story was going somewhere? Please tell me it wasn't 'Regal is secretly gay and this is all a front'.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

ChrisBTY posted:

Wait, that story was going somewhere? Please tell me it wasn't 'Regal is secretly gay and this is all a front'.

Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I Before E posted:

Hold on he also had at least one good match with Daniel Bryan

If the match was so good then why wasn't it the main event NIEL

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

https://youtu.be/Fahljd_0xjA

Then. Now. Forever.

oh god...

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Shockmaster had a stormtrooper helmet with blue glitter on it, and Sid Vicious selling it like it was the scariest most imposing thing ever.

Voting for Shockywocky

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Cav is right about Punk but Shockmaster is a number one worst gimmick contender to this day.

ROH Punk was good though.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Even if hadn’t fallen on his fuckin arse the Shockmaster would’ve been a disaster

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Seams posted:

Even if hadn’t fallen on his fuckin arse the Shockmaster would’ve been a disaster

That's where I'm at. Even if he'd done a perfect grand jete through the wall, what the hell is the gimmick? Fat guy in a big coat wearing a kids' Stormtrooper helmet covered in glitter paint. Is that something that's gonna make you buy tickets?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Punk poo poo his pants in the ring

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

NienNunb posted:

Punk poo poo his pants in the ring

Now, if WWE zoomed in on his rear end THEN, we'd have something.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Shockmaster is a legendary bad gimmick, but he’s so far beyond the pale that I can’t in good conscience call him the worst because he brings me so much joy.

He’s still beating Punk however.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
people think shockmaster showed up and tripped and that was it. No, they already committed to him being the mystery partner for the faces in a War Games match, they just changed his gimmick to a schlubby klutz in a hardhat after this. He kept showing up after awhile slipping and tripping too. They gave him mas mask and singlet and portrayed him as "The Super Shockmaster" who may be similar but not the same as his uncle "The Shockmaster."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCtA6NGF7XI

also the funniest thing about Rellik is that the character was from when he was in AJPW as a fake Great Muta. He wasn't even the first fake Great Muta because NJPW introduced a new one because Mutoh left and Inoki was like "gently caress you the name was the draw not the performer" sort of like how WWE did Fake Diesel and Fake Razor.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

NienNunb posted:

If the match was so good then why wasn't it the main event NIEL

Because Two Time 5 Star Worker John Laurinitis was in the main

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I DON'T GIVE A drat WHO YOU ARE BOY!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Cavauro posted:

please remember. "Fed Up" CM Punk was a very bad gimmick. When he was talking on the microphone he would always have a red flustered face and make a lot of mistakes while speaking. He would try to be a sarcastic and biting mixture of bad rear end and smarmy, which was as bad as the combination of cream cheese and sour cream, whipped cream, and Casu Marzu, the nastiest food in existence. His name stands for Casu Marzu Punk. He kept on trying to appeal to the fans by kissing a ton of arse and saying slogans directly from corporate in order to make more money for WWE, such as "Bring back the WWE ice cream bars." This was yet another extremely disgusting combination that didn't fit and made people uncomfortable. CM Punk became this gimmick in real life and stopped liking wrestling soon afterward. He hasn't watched any wrestling in five years. That's how bad the gimmick was.

both of these gimmicks destroyed the person's career.

Is there room in the contest to nominate Cavauro? Because I've seen some bad gimmicks, but this posting tops them.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
So...I did a thing. John Silver is our Master of Ceremonies now.

https://streamable.com/azo33y

And if you’re very lazy and want an embedded video:

https://twitter.com/shallnoiseupon/status/1320671390392004608?s=21

Amp fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 26, 2020

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

JOHNNY HUNGIE :stwoon:

Rarity fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 26, 2020

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Close thread, goldmine.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

So...I did a thing. John Silver is our Master of Ceremonies now.

https://streamable.com/azo33y

And if you’re very lazy and want an embedded video:

https://twitter.com/shallnoiseupon/status/1320671390392004608?s=21

:stare::hf::hungiee:

This rules!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You will not be shocked to learn that the Shockmaster won the vote with 87%.

We're still looking for our first upset! Will it be here?

Bone Soldier (13)

vs.

Beaver Cleavage (4)

It's the man made of bones against the man made of one bone! Vote here!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Another easy one. Bad and lame is still better than bad and embarrassing on a fundamental conceptual level.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Voted for Beaver Cleavage. Bone Soldier was really bad in both that form and as Captain New Japan, but that's nothing compared to how gross and lovely and bad even the general idea of Beaver Cleavage was, and how apparent that was to literally everybody in the world from conception to execution EXCEPT for whichever Vince came up with the idea (I assume McMahon?)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Voted for Beaver Cleavage. Bone Soldier was really bad in both that form and as Captain New Japan, but that's nothing compared to how gross and lovely and bad even the general idea of Beaver Cleavage was, and how apparent that was to literally everybody in the world from conception to execution EXCEPT for whichever Vince came up with the idea (I assume McMahon?)

I think Beaver is a Russo idea

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Bone Soldier was loving lame but why the gently caress did Beaver Cleavage exist? Who could have wanted that?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Testekill posted:

Who could have wanted that?

i mean we all know the answer

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The thought I had about Bone Soldier while I was seeding this is that this is about bad gimmicks and Taiji Ishimori has proven that the Bone Soldier gimmick is fine. Dude was just a bad wrestler, the gimmick wasn't the issue here.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Captain New Japan was the best comedy jobber gimmick and I will not have his name besmirched on this forum anymore

Now Bone Soldier, that was kinda poo poo, or at least the original version was. As Rarity mentioned, however, Taiji's version of it is good, so the gimmick isn't THAT bad.

Beaver Cleavage easily, because holy gently caress everything about that gimmick sucks.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Venomous posted:

Beaver Cleavage easily, because holy gently caress everything about that gimmick sucks.

And then it led into the domestic abuse angle

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok we're not on them yet but I'm watching Clash of the Champions 7 right now and I just saw the debut of the Ding Dongs and holy poo poo this is dumb

Testekill posted:

And then it led into the domestic abuse angle

We'll get to that later!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Rarity posted:

The thought I had about Bone Soldier while I was seeding this is that this is about bad gimmicks and Taiji Ishimori has proven that the Bone Soldier gimmick is fine. Dude was just a bad wrestler, the gimmick wasn't the issue here.

I was going to vote for Bone Soldier for 2 reasons:
1) It lasted longer. Beaver Cleavage was binned after 2 weeks. Not even a blip on the radar in the grand scheme of things.
2) It damaged a popular act. Beaver Cleavage hurt...Chaz.

But this changed my mind so I voted Beaver because it was the fever dream of a diseased psyche.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
fun fact because im a finisher mark I had a soft spot for Chaz/Mosh because he used the burning hammer as a finisher

I still voted for him in a heartbeat

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

Bone Soldier is a bad gimmick and a bad wrestler but ultimately a bad joke that went away fast.

Beaver Cleavage is an abysmally bad gimmick, wrestler, and joke who didn’t go away fast enough.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

I think judging by the criteria of "how embarrassed would I be if a friend/partner/family member were to see this after I said 'Wrestling is really good though!'" is the way to go. And with that in mind Bone Soldier is conceptually fine whereas Beaver Cleavage would result in my skeleton leaving my body from pure mortification.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Venomous posted:

Captain New Japan was the best comedy jobber gimmick and I will not have his name besmirched on this forum anymore

Now Bone Soldier, that was kinda poo poo, or at least the original version was. As Rarity mentioned, however, Taiji's version of it is good, so the gimmick isn't THAT bad.

It's not really the same gimmick though imo. Like, it's the same name but it's just Taiji Ishimori & he wears a mask to the ring & they teased they were making a big deal out of the return of OG Bone Soldier & that was funny & a great relief when it was revealed to not be him.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Although there’s a small possibility that Beaver Cleavage was an intentionally bad gimmick, it didn’t even succeed in that regard and everything surrounding it is so cringeworthy that it deserves to move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lid posted:

fun fact because im a finisher mark I had a soft spot for Chaz/Mosh because he used the burning hammer as a finisher

I still voted for him in a heartbeat

The Stage Dive was a cool finish too