Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

If I've never played Bully does it hold up still for a first run through?

Yeah, it's dated but still a solid game.

I'd say it's up there at peak rockstar before they climbed up their own arse and sacrificed fun gameplay for immersive cinematic gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Fart of Presto posted:

AC Odyssey was released on 5 Oct, 2018. Here are a few other PC releases since then:

Borderlands 3
Just Cause 4
Red Dead Redemption 2
Ghost Recon Breakpoint
The Outer Worlds

And to add to the huge list of upcoming open world games, Far Cry 6 is out in February.

I feel like Ubisoft actually made a big mistake here: AC Valhalla, WD Legion and FC6, all within 4 months is just oversaturating the market, as it's most often the same people who buy and enjoy these games.
I'm definitely not complaining, but I also know that I won't be able to enjoy all of them at release, together with Cyberpunk 2070, as it's just too much of the same collectathon/map clearing thing, since they probably all use Ubisoft's standard open world concepts with a few variations here and there.

I wonder if one of the Ubisoft releases were actually planned to be released last year, but missed the holiday deadline?

There's also Genshin Impact which came out a few weeks ago. I've heard good things, some have compared it to an online Breath of the Wild. Unfortunately it has loot boxes and the like since it's F2P, but whatever. I am actually downloading it right now to give it a try.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It’s an anime titty gacha game.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

And they correctly guessed that cops would come in blasting.

Though its kind of suggested that the cops are just blinding following the algorithm rather than any real malice on their part.

IIRC One of the missions specifically has the cops manipulating the algorithm to excuse using heavier force in minority neighborhoods.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

If I've never played Bully does it hold up still for a first run through?

it is very mid aughts PS2 style game design but if the idea of "GTA, but you're bad bobby hill in a pastiche new england boarding school" sounds good to you then yeah give it a spin. a lot of the minigames are bad and dated so don't try to 100% it, just go with the goofy missions and generally gently caress around as a shithead teen. honestly now that i am remembering the game it plays almost like a watered down yakuza

e: yeah in my headcanon now the creation myth of bully is that the lead designer watched rushmore and then played yakuza and had a holy poo poo moment

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 26, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Having played Bully for the first time a couple years back, it's definitely more than the sum of its parts. None of the individual elements rate higher than a "pretty good" but something about how they all come together made a great game.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Cartoon Man posted:

After playing for an hour, it's pretty devoid of titties. Outfits are far less scandalous than what Link wears in BOTW.

Characters, items, and experience has been plentiful so far, and the combat is actually interesting with the frequent character switching. I am sure that gatcha wall is in the somewhere, but it's interesting enough to check out for a little bit. At least until November hits and AC Valhalla, Cyberpunk, Hyrule Warriors 2, and a bunch of other huge games drop.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

It made like $200 million in a few weeks too.

The seasonal exclusives/new characters are going to drop soon and so there's been a bunch of speculation articles about how the developers are going to manage the delicate task of keeping the whales happy without completely depopulating the game.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cartoon Man posted:

This is basically every gacha game.

C.M. Kruger posted:

IIRC One of the missions specifically has the cops manipulating the algorithm to excuse using heavier force in minority neighborhoods.

I completely forgot about that.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Though its kind of suggested that the cops are just blinding following the algorithm rather than any real malice on their part.

Can't you also point gangsters at whoever and they'll come rolling in guns blazing as well?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Leal posted:

Can't you also point gangsters at whoever and they'll come rolling in guns blazing as well?

Yea, the conclusion is that the cops are just another gang

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ymgve posted:

Yea, the conclusion is that the cops are just another gang

makes u think

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Leal posted:

you can point cops at gangsters at more gangsters at more cops at the original (but even angrier) gangsters. it's great.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ragequit posted:

After playing for an hour, it's pretty devoid of titties. Outfits are far less scandalous than what Link wears in BOTW.

Characters, items, and experience has been plentiful so far, and the combat is actually interesting with the frequent character switching. I am sure that gatcha wall is in the somewhere, but it's interesting enough to check out for a little bit. At least until November hits and AC Valhalla, Cyberpunk, Hyrule Warriors 2, and a bunch of other huge games drop.

There's really no f2p wall at the moment at least but after a while you will run out of content and it's just grinding to get bigger numbers.

It's probably a good place to stop playing until new stuff comes in.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 26, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

sebmojo posted:

you can point cops at gangsters at more gangsters at more cops at the original (but even angrier) gangsters. it's great.

Matryoshka dolls have certainly become more hardcore since I was younger!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

sebmojo posted:

Yea, that is great. You can start entire wars so you can sneak in and grab the outfit or money or whatever was hidden there.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

ZearothK posted:

I am one of those few people who loved HM2 more than the original, but I also played it in a fever weekend binge, which is the ideal way to experience the game.

Also that fantastic soundtrack.

:same:

2's difficulty curve basically starts where 1 ends, which is v rough unless you play tthem back to back

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

sebmojo posted:

Me: *calls cops on person at entrance

Me: *calls gangsters on the cops

Me: *calls more cops to fight the gangsters

Me: *calls more gangsters to even the odds

Me: *waits until everybody dies

Me: *walks into library and uses a computer

Me: No blood on my hands!

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
a true pacifist

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Watch dogs 2 had one of the best asymmetrical multiplayer modes ever in a open world game. You could invade other player's worlds and hack them. You'd have to stay within a 300 ft radius for about 2 minutes or so while the other player was alerted that they were being hacked. The thing is before you start hacking the other player gets no notice that you're there and you look like just any other civilian. My favorite tactic was stealing one of the super common work trucks and parking in the street where the player was to begin my hack. You could duck down in your car so it looked like no one was driving and the only way the other player could spot you is if they tracked your signals with their drone. You could also disrupt the player while you were hacking them by calling the cops on them or having a local gang show up. If the player was running around with a weapon out to kill you the cops would immediately open fire in them when they showed up. Even if you were discovered by the other player you still get a chance to escape to a certain random point on the map which was always just chaos.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Watch Dogs 2 also lets you hack cars. As in take control of a vehicle that's being driven by someone else. Who might, for reasons unknown, run over someone right in front of you and the cops. Why, it might happen again and again!

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Dont starve is weird so far.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Don't Starve is amazing. Don't Starve Together is also amazing.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

municipal shrimp posted:

Watch dogs 2 had one of the best asymmetrical multiplayer modes ever in a open world game. You could invade other player's worlds and hack them. You'd have to stay within a 300 ft radius for about 2 minutes or so while the other player was alerted that they were being hacked. The thing is before you start hacking the other player gets no notice that you're there and you look like just any other civilian. My favorite tactic was stealing one of the super common work trucks and parking in the street where the player was to begin my hack. You could duck down in your car so it looked like no one was driving and the only way the other player could spot you is if they tracked your signals with their drone. You could also disrupt the player while you were hacking them by calling the cops on them or having a local gang show up. If the player was running around with a weapon out to kill you the cops would immediately open fire in them when they showed up. Even if you were discovered by the other player you still get a chance to escape to a certain random point on the map which was always just chaos.

This was in both WD games and I'm hoping it's still in Legion because high tech online hide and seek is the best poo poo.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I love Don't Starve right up until the Deerclops shows up. gently caress that whole thing. Every time I play that game I have a great time until that happens and then I alt+f4 and uninstall the game lol.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Don't Starve is one of those games I could never get the hang of. Like I'd go into it, build a couple basic tools, search for a gold nugget so I could get the science station up and running and then I wouldn't know what the next step was, since food would quickly become an issue and enemies would just destroy me. This was DST, in case it matters.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i want to like don't starve but i just hate the rote chore stuff that happens in the first couple hours.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

municipal shrimp posted:

Watch dogs 2 had one of the best asymmetrical multiplayer modes ever in a open world game.
While i hate being victim to that, the paranoia it generates is so great that it made for an eternal in-joke between me and my friend that persists to this day.

We were just regular co-oping and taking turns controlling those lifts-on-wheels, carting each other across rooftops and things. Obviously, when you do this, your character sits down and pulls out their laptop. As such, with us both controlling things, we were vulnerable and remotely viewing devices--when the device my friend is controlling bumps into some suspicious dude on their laptop, and he whispers, with all sincerity and suspicion.

"I think there's someone else in our game :ohdear:"

I quickly switch to my drone, and follow my friend's controlled crane...to the dude sitting in the middle of the alley on his laptop.

My character. :doh:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

don’t starve felt like the tedious maintenance/upkeep stuff you have to do as a fun tax to get back to the engaging part of a game like minecraft or terraria, except if you never got to that engaging part at all and the fun tax was just the entire game

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

don’t starve felt like the tedious maintenance/upkeep stuff you have to do as a fun tax to get back to the engaging part of a game like minecraft or terraria, except if you never got to that engaging part at all and the fun tax was just the entire game

This x100. Don't Starve was one of the first iterations of these type of games and it shows. After getting like 20-30 days into DS-Together, my group basically said, "We can keep surviving, but why are we playing this game again? None of this is fun".

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Had similar experience with Don't Starve. Tried starting maybe 5 times and I never got past the early stages.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I found Don't Starve Together entertaining enough (as long as someone in the group is willing to be the designated farmer / cook, while everyone else, like, actually plays a video game) up until the very second a seasonal boss monster shows up and destroys 90% of your base while you whiff away at it with the lovely terrible combat system.

The game is only really fun with mods that totally break the balance in your favour

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Got myself shellacked by the AI last night in Mordheim. Mordhiem is a turn-based tactical-squad mercenary game set in the Warhammer Fantasy universe. So of course, I am using the rat-people, the Skaven, because they are awesome, yes-yes!

My Skaven warband was facing a team of Witch Hunters. At the beginning I think I made a strategic error, I sent my Leader rat too far forwards where the Witch Hunters were able bring their entire army to bear. Skaven are best when they can swarm stragglers from an enemy warband. Anyway, on one front my leader rat and about 3 support rats (a couple halberd wielding Warpguards and a Poison Wind Globadier for AoE damage and ranged support) got stuck in fighting a Henchman (rank and file trooper, roughly equivalent to a Warpguard) Flagellant. The son of a bitch would just not go down even when he was surrounded by two Warpguard rats.

This delay in killing the Flagellant allows the Witch Hunters to engage a fraction of my forces with their entire might. I was fighting against an enemy that slightly outnumbered me. Then came the luck death spiral.

On a second (northern) front my Night Runner Hero (attacks three times per turn) and a Warpguard were holding the line next to an over turned cart and a crumbling wall. Both were engaged with one opponent a piece, but the Night Runner had the misfortune of being against the Witch Hunter Hero which immediately got a lucky critical hit on him, stunning him and leaving him a sitting duck for other Witch Hunters to dogpile and execute him.

So the northern front was crumbling from this seemingly invincible Witch Hunter Hero. It did not take long for my rats there to be triple teamed by enemy Henchmen, while on the other front the Flagellant just kept on making dodge checks which allowed his buddies to catch up to him and take on every rat on that front with at least even odds. I get a couple more of my Heroes stunned and they go down quickly.

That started the failure cascade where the enemy began looting the bodies of the out of action rats and taking my hard-earned blue (above average) equipment. Yes you can loot the bodies of your enemies to take their weapons/items and they can do the same to you! Fortunately I managed to kill one of the looters and recover some precious weapons.

At the end of things my Leader ran away and tried to give ranged support to a Warpguard in reserve that was affected by Stupidity. You see that Warpguard had experienced a cranial fracture so it had to make an intelligence check every turn to see if he would be able to move like a normal unit. Fortunately once a Stupid character is fighting they will continue fighting. Both the Leader and my sole remaining Warpguard were able to kill one more Witch Hunter unit, but by then it was too late. All my other units (7) were out of action.

What happened to my out of action units? Well Mordheim has random injuries and some of these injures persist from battle to battle. When my team finally routed, two of my injured rats again had cranial fractures and became Stupid. I may have to replace these level 4 and 5 Henchmen rats with fresh new recruits starting at level zero, because the Stupid Henchmen will spend most of the time in a battle just standing there as they fail their intelligence checks to actually do something. Oh also my Poison Wind Globadier didn’t get an injury he straight up died. And I had invested 400 gold in him to upgrade his skills.

Oh well, chalk it up to a overextended army and a bad streak of luck for my rats. There is always next time. Mordheim is only $5 for the rest of today.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
New Zachtronics game. It's not what you'd expect. https://store.steampowered.com/app/971160/Mbius_Front_83/

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mordja posted:

New Zachtronics game. It's not what you'd expect. https://store.steampowered.com/app/971160/Mbius_Front_83/
it does have solitaire though

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mordja posted:

*SLAMS WISHLIST BUTTON*

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Mordja posted:

I mean, its based on 80's era instruction manuals. Sounds like a zachtronics game to me

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Mordja posted:

You can't trick me. I saw a circuitry model in the preview pictures. It's all a trick to teach me programming again!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mordja posted:

Woah that looks sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

After Zachtronics released a visual novel, nothing can surprise me anymore.