Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I don't know about factual inaccuracies, but it at least seems to be making questionable judgements, like accusing WP of refusing to refund or produce the game while also accusing them of taking funds from other Homestuck stuff to fund production of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Those don't seem too contradictory in context. WP has apparently failed to communicate honestly about any of this, including what patreon funds were being used for and how they are paying for the development of hiveswap in general. Hiveswap being funded from leftovers of their HS2 patreon isn't a good look for prioritizing development, even if it does suggest it's ongoing. I haven't been paying attention to that so I only mostly have his take on it though.

The game not being made in and of itself isn't the issue for me anyway. I honestly wasn't that interested in it when I backed, it just seemed like something Hussie wanted to do and I was glad for a chance to throw him some money after how hard he'd been working on homestuck. I would have been perfectly fine with him blowing it all on a fancy race horse or whatever. What makes it upsetting is the way people (particularly employees) have apparently been treated during development. Certainly they never took communication with backers very seriously (though the extent of that was much more than I'd realized, as a moderately invested fan paying a moderate amount of attention over that period), but the apparent mistreatment of employees seems unconscionable. But if that's inaccurately depicted I'd like to know.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Anybody here watched Dark on netflix? Without giving too much away, it's very similar to Homestuck, but played 100% serious. Which is not a sentence that I thought I'd ever type, but here we are.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Hello.

I'm the goon what made post #8 on this thread nine goddamned years ago. Today, I discovered there is Homestuck content post Act 7.

Guess I better breathe deep 'cause I'm jumping back in.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Roger Explosion posted:

Hello.

I'm the goon what made post #8 on this thread nine goddamned years ago. Today, I discovered there is Homestuck content post Act 7.

Guess I better breathe deep 'cause I'm jumping back in.

You're making a horrible mistake.

You should have run while you still had the chance.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/homestuck/status/1320458355098460160

Highnotes:
* Has Friendsim trolls
* Drops in NOVEMBER 2020.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Some one needs to tell them what a "Launch Trailer" is

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Plom Bar posted:

Some one needs to tell them what a "Launch Trailer" is

Can you unpack that? I think of this as a teaser trailer; what should it be?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s pretty meaningless at this point since Hiveswap has had so many false starts. Act 1 was given a January...2017 release date a month prior and missed it completely. Act 2 was given a Steam page a year ago with no further updates, and we already knew the Friendsim Trolls were going to be in Hiveswap because they were originally revealed as a countdown to an Act 2 release that never happened.

I’d say the release is the natural 11/11 date, but that’s just over two weeks away. If they were that close then I’d imagine the trailer would have just said the exact date. Of course, another red flag is being no more than a month away and still not having an exact launch date in mind.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Once again we are all blindsided by a 10/25 announcement.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I unironically wish the kickstarter never happened

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clawtopsy posted:

Yeah, turns out that was a real "Icarus flies too close to the sun" moment for everyone involved.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I dunno, I think it would have been fine if he had done it in 2016 as the comic was winding up, or afterwards. Instead, he once more underestimated how much story was left to to tell which forced him to split time between the comic and the game. And honestly, I imagine that may be why the ending feels so off since he likely had to make some aggressive cuts to just get the stupid thing finished.

It also leads to a massive what-if, since the epilogues were announced in response to the reaction Act 6 and 7 got. What if the Kickstarter hadn’t happened until later, and Homestuck’s ending got less of a mixed reception? Would there have been two weird novellas and a sequel comic?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Imagine the Ghostbusters MMORPG, only it's all Sonic Forces-esque Trollsonas. Forever.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Clawtopsy posted:

:same:

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I went in at the bare minimum to get a digital copy of the game, and I enjoyed Episode 1. Having read the allegations of what happened to the Kickstarter money all those years ago and knowing the non-backer sales of Episode 1 couldn't possibly have funded another one, I would have been okay with Episode 2 never materializing, and this new announcement is basically a pleasant surprise for me.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Did the digital archive thing ever happen? For all I spent on the Kickstarter, that's what really motivated me.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Bell_ posted:

Did the digital archive thing ever happen? For all I spent on the Kickstarter, that's what really motivated me.

this just made the rounds

https://twitter.com/Bamboshu/status/1320575188073734144?s=19

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
How does it handle the Flash stuff, since Flash is basically End-of-Life as of this post?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Flash is officially dead at the end of this year. Most of the animations have been converted into videos, which lose something in the process but are at least there. The games, however, would require conversion to html5.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Clawtopsy posted:

I betcha Hussie does too.

I wish Viz had put more effort into porting Homestuck. They seem to have made no attempt at all to make the window size changes happen in Cascade, for one.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

XkyRauh posted:

How does it handle the Flash stuff, since Flash is basically End-of-Life as of this post?

apparently it just runs them natively. sick

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Death Bot posted:

apparently it just runs them natively. sick

Does it have flash packed in?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Based

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

MatchaZed posted:

Does it have flash packed in?

From the page:

"The Unofficial Homestuck Collection is a heavily customised browser, built from the ground up to support Homestuck and its related works. Flashes? We got 'em. The collection runs Flash content natively, providing the most authentic Homestuck experience possible."

it also has (optional) enhancements to the visuals and audio. i just watched thru cascade and it was so good!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I find this really interesting. A group of animators got together and redid [S: GAME OVER] . The camera angles are the same, it's just different artists doing the work, and almost entirely full-motion animation. It's really cool to see different POVs on the same work. It's not trying to be "GAME OVER but done right", it's just "Here are some other takes on GAME OVER".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDQkKaeWvIQ

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

[S] Game Over was actually really loving good in hindsight.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

[S] Game Over was actually really loving good in hindsight.

I will argue that it was the peak of the comic, or at least the last peak of the mountain range.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

In the thing you posted I actually really dig the few artists who drew trolls "realistically" because that's all it takes to hit home how scary they are supposed to be. Every semi-real shot of Gamzee, yeesh.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I got that same vibe towards the end with Caliborn depicted more as an actual skull-headed kid.

Game Over is good, but undermined by a lack of tension. By the time a third character dies, you know enough about how low-stakes death can be in Homestuck to go from “oh poo poo” to “oh, how will this be undone”. It doesn’t help that how it was undone was one of the steeper valleys right after the peak of Game Over.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

I got that same vibe towards the end with Caliborn depicted more as an actual skull-headed kid.

Game Over is good, but undermined by a lack of tension. By the time a third character dies, you know enough about how low-stakes death can be in Homestuck to go from “oh poo poo” to “oh, how will this be undone”. It doesn’t help that how it was undone was one of the steeper valleys right after the peak of Game Over.
There were a lot of non-permanent deaths throughout Homestuck, but the details in GAME OVER when beloved characters were killing each other, or being used to kill each other, were brutal. Especially the ones that had Heroic/Just written over the pairings. And Karkat's face sinking into the lava, and Dave desperately defending Jade's dead body. Basically, for me it had a big emotional impact even while thinking "And how is Hussie going to write his way out of this one?"

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Badly

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Yes, well.

I did enjoy the period during which the RetJohn was taking place, though. Being bopped back to old pages and seeing them change was lovely.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I don't remember anything that happened after Cascade, so as far as I'm aware that's where homestuck ended.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

I read the comic serially, and after witnessing Murderstuck, I had no particular expectations that Game Over would be undone. People reading it on the archive see that there are hundreds of pages left and go, well, of course, but at the time the Retjohn poo poo had only been hinted at. Agreed that the raw emotion showed by everyone during the flash went a long way towards selling it.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Wow the offline browser is shockingly competent.

I can't believe I can play loving Namco High on this thing

E: Owns to live in a future where I can finally 1) experiences the Flashes 2) get xbox game bar to recognize Homestuck as a videogame app and record gameplay

Nina fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 29, 2020

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

New chapter, and some prime Karkat. :toot: though i don't remember when Dave died, was this the universe where he had a robot body or no?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Yup. And even roboDave has hied him off with this universe's Calliope.

I can only quote. "JOHN: (oh poo poo.)"

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Deeply appreciate not making a whole new vertically flipped Karkat sprite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Roxy died on the way back to her home planet.