Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Class solidarity but only for the bits of the country I personally like

e:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

MonkeyLibFront posted:

One reason is standardised calibres of NATO weapons along with it not always great to use weapons that have the same accoustics as your enemies, I know the difference between an AK/PKM/DSSHK out & incoming Vs SA80, GPMG and 50.cal helps to aid in orientation and control measures.

Operating with ex Warsaw pact countries increases the chances of fraticide if AFV recognition isn't up to scratch.

So you're saying the AK-47, the preferred weapon of our enemy, makes a very distinctive sound when fired at you?

Suddenly Heartbreak Ridge is a cooler movie, so thanks for that.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

WhatEvil posted:

My Mum died yesterday morning..

Sorry to hear this. Good that you got to see her if only virtually but it still sucks. Mine was in hospital for a minor op last week and it brought things into focus suddenly.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

jabby posted:

So you're saying the AK-47, the preferred weapon of our enemy, makes a very distinctive sound when fired at you?

Suddenly Heartbreak Ridge is a cooler movie, so thanks for that.

I think this is a plot point of Rambo: First blood, part 2. John Rambo specifically asks for his American rifle to be replaced by an AK-47 so he can blend in.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I thought kalashnikovs were the go-to cheap, cheerful and extremely low maintenance rifles?

they're the same thing :jihad:

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Class solidarity but only for the bits of the country I personally like

e:

Whats your problem man, whats your issue

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
Class solidarity for some, giant poppies for others

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

MonkeyLibFront posted:

One reason is standardised calibres of NATO weapons along with it not always great to use weapons that have the same accoustics as your enemies, I know the difference between an AK/PKM/DSSHK out & incoming Vs SA80, GPMG and 50.cal helps to aid in orientation and control measures.

Operating with ex Warsaw pact countries increases the chances of fraticide if AFV recognition isn't up to scratch.
Yes, the early versions of the SA80 make a very distinctive click click noise.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Condolences WhatEvil. There's no good time for that, but this is a worse one :(

Re speediness of funerals, what's the typical time between dying and funeral service in the UK?

In the 2 EU countries where my parents and I live, respectively, it's strictly 3 days, with minimal exceptions (more for "the police still want to examine the body" than "how am I supposed to gather the family from all over the world in 3 days?") - my parents' CofE church has a handy handbook about dying in their country, and how it might be more rushed than you're used to.

Also about how your loved ones' bodies don't really belong to you, but to the state, and it's illegal to take the ashes abroad to scatter if you're going to do it in a way not allowed under local law...

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Guavanaut posted:

Yes, the early versions of the SA80 make a very distinctive click click noise.

Particularly when they jammed. ETA oh God, that was the joke)... Think my favourite thing about them is the safety plunger that was cunningly fashioned from plastic that turns into a sponge when it gets wet and eggshell when it gets cold.

A2 is Good though and A3 looks Very Good, suitable for the post-revolution National Self-Defence Co-Operatives.

Bobstar posted:

Condolences WhatEvil. There's no good time for that, but this is a worse one :(

Re speediness of funerals, what's the typical time between dying and funeral service in the UK?

In the 2 EU countries where my parents and I live, respectively, it's strictly 3 days, with minimal exceptions (more for "the police still want to examine the body" than "how am I supposed to gather the family from all over the world in 3 days?") - my parents' CofE church has a handy handbook about dying in their country, and how it might be more rushed than you're used to.

Also about how your loved ones' bodies don't really belong to you, but to the state, and it's illegal to take the ashes abroad to scatter if you're going to do it in a way not allowed under local law...

Can take ages in GB. I’m part of the Irish diaspora and am viscerally uncomfortable with taking more than 3 days.

Filboid Studge fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 26, 2020

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I'm really sorry to hear that, WhatEvil. Don't think anyone itt or elsewhere would judge you if you feel like you should travel or w/e, just do whatever you feel you've got to do.

Bobstar posted:

my parents' CofE church has a handy handbook about dying in their country, and how it might be more rushed than you're used to.
Ah, so they're UK residents

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

WhatEvil posted:

Horrible news

Condolences WhatEvil, that's gut wrenching to hear

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Add my condolences to WhatEvil. Definitely rough being on a different continent and unable to return because of this cursed plague.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Bobstar posted:

2-3 weeks, I think.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/MarcusRashford/status/1320648634480922626

:thunk:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lol boris just wants to do a trump and just hide at the golf course but people just won’t leave him alone

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Back in 2018, my mum died on August 20 and then we had the funeral on September 5. That kind of delay seems very sensible to me, especially since I had to organise it all myself and her sister had to fly in from America. When my grandmother died in late December, I wanted to delay the funeral for weeks until after Christmas so that travel would be easier and more of the family could come, though I was countermanded by the aforementioned aunt.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

I’ve really been noticing since the summer how much more we’re spending on groceries. For a family of three, we were in the very fortunate position of having an upper limit of £100 a week, doing a Big Shop and very rarely buying stuff otherwise. We’re buying the same things now, online because my partner works in a hospital that always contains Covid patients and is therefore Schroedinger’s disease vector, but it’s much harder to get for less that about £125. I’m hearing the same story from others.

Are UKMTers seeing the same inflation on basics? Is the 0.8% claimed just lagging?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Filboid Studge posted:

I’ve really been noticing since the summer how much more we’re spending on groceries. For a family of three, we were in the very fortunate position of having an upper limit of £100 a week, doing a Big Shop and very rarely buying stuff otherwise. We’re buying the same things now, online because my partner works in a hospital that always contains Covid patients and is therefore Schroedinger’s disease vector, but it’s much harder to get for less that about £125. I’m hearing the same story from others.

Are UKMTers seeing the same inflation on basics? Is the 0.8% claimed just lagging?

I haven't tracked it but our online shop (Sainsburys) has definitely gotten pricier. For two of us we used to spend £80-120 most weeks depending on what's run out, but now we struggle to get it below £140. I don't think we're getting anything drastically different working from home either since we still have leftovers for lunch most days.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

I used to think I missed London. Then I realised I just missed being able to hop on the tube to go visit my older brother or sister for a free meal as I was a poor student.

Now just need to convince them to move up north in time for the secession of the North. Free flat caps and a whippet for every household!

I've said it before but the best investment that could be made to make London public transport more usable would be to spend the money on giving every major city in the UK public transport to a roughly equivalent standard to London, and sorting out rural bus and train services. Part of the reason why London works at all is the (middling-to-poor by international standards, loving amazing by UK) public transport system, and giving someone in, say, Liverpool the same ability to never need a car and to be able to get to and from work and play cheaply and quickly would take more people off the Tube than Crossrail.

Crossrail 2, just the latest patch on the catastrofuck that is Waterloo, is likely to cost upwards of £20bn. Imagine that money divvied up between every urban area of decent size in the UK could do? Obviously you won't get quite the same immediate bang for your buck because, say, the West Yorkshire conurbation is far less dense than London, mainly because it doesn't have London public transport; but a couple of billion buys a *lot* of buses, which then has knock-on effects on density, which makes better transport more affordable, and so on.

Of course this is the big flaw with regionalism, at least as practiced by the Tories of both colours over the last few decades. It allows central government to play the cities off against each other, and makes this kind of cross-subsidy much more difficult. Ironically the only reason that TfL is half as good as it is, is Ken Livingstone's more-or-less final act at the GLC - by keeping the buses so heavily-regulated that they may as well have not been privatised (LRTB and now TfL set everything from routes and fares to the moquette on the seats) we ducked the worst of the 80s gutting of public transport.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also just make public transport free at the point of use, like Luxembourg is doing.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Guavanaut posted:

Also just make public transport free at the point of use, like Luxembourg is doing.
That's just delivering people straight to their crack dealer...

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Desiderata posted:

I respect are clipart troops, boldly bearing the weight of that famous British army rifle, the M16.

https://www.vectorstock.com/royalty-free-vector/silhouettes-of-soldiers-vector-1241504

Edit: Getting in an edit before some gun nerds point out it is an m4-sopmod and actually a british unit used them and actually actually actually.

I'm reliably informed that those are modern low-altitude parachutes too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's infinite demand for a free good, people will just take six buses at the same time! :mad:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

People are trading free bus trips for cheap wine, smdh.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Lungboy posted:

I'm reliably informed that those are modern low-altitude parachutes too.

It's also an American battleship. A heartfelt Tribute to Are Boys made up of whatever was first in the Google Image search returns...

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

[runs into thread in response to Luxembourg signal]

This is true, but "also" is the operative word there. The free public transport thing is great, but they also need to greatly expand provision in order to make a dent in Luxembourg's love affair with the car. Villages like the one I grew up in are poorly served by buses (I think it's improved though), and with the low low petrol prices, cars are just easier. I also think they'd meet resistance from Jos Klarkson and friends if they tried to inconvenientise driving to any great extent.

See also this video from noted non-Luxembourger Tom Scott, which is very accurate and fair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feCQPD9DSOA

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Filboid Studge posted:

Remember to rob as much as you can get away with

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

Luxembourg signal
Their flag is a pale imitation of the Netherlands.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

crispix posted:

Remember to rob as much as you can get away with

Very little in an online shop. Though I am from Ards, it wouldn’t be the first time one of us held up a delivery van.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Filboid Studge posted:

Every time I do a basic Asda/Tesco shop, maybe 3-4 bags of stuff, I'm always appalled because it's almost never under £40. And that's after switching to own-brand products for most of the mundane staples like bread, rice and pasta. A bigger, concerted "let's stock up" shop is likely to crack the £100 mark. For loving groceries.

I've also noticed that orange juice has had a 20% price jump over the year (used to be £1, now £1.20 at both Tesco and Asda), quite a few things that used to offer multibuy savings no longer do so, smaller branches offer you name-brand or nothing on a lot of products so if you go there for convenience you have to pay more, etc etc.

I'm from Yorkshire so I'm a natural tight-arse, but of late I've still realised how much I used to buy name-brand stuff out of sheer force of habit/programming. Which is ridiculous. Do you pay £1.30 or more for a branded loaf of bread, or 49p for the supermarket's own? £1.98 for a jar of pickled onions, or 27p? £1.50 for a multipack of crisps, or 77p? £2 for pasta sauce, or 57p? Most of the time the own-brand stuff is just as good - and quite possibly made by exactly the same people.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Their flag is a pale imitation of the Netherlands.

Well maybe we just respect our flag enough to wash it regularly :colbert:

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Condolences WhatEvil.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(I didn't realize Mosely had been a Labour MP before joining the British Union of Fascists. (One of my nans was engaged to a guy and dumped him after 4 years when he joined the black shirts but that was 1930s not 1962).

Tends to be a bit of a Thing for people to be far left radicals of some sort when young then swing right over to the hard right as they get older. See also the Revolutionary Communist Party lot for instance.

Edit: for pickled onions specifically, may I suggest making your own :getin: easy to do, tastes nicer, and if you want them strong enough to blow your head off that's easy to make happen.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Filboid Studge posted:

Very little in an online shop. Though I am from Ards, it wouldn’t be the first time one of us held up a delivery van.

I'm in the small potato town close to there and in the summer a Tesco delivery man told me he had that day turned up at a house on a well known estate and a bloke sunbathing in the driveway wouldn't confirm the name on the delivery and got angry and abusive when the driver realised he was on the wrong street because he wasn't getting free other people's groceries :manning:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

Tends to be a bit of a Thing for people to be far left radicals of some sort when young then swing right over to the hard right as they get older. See also the Revolutionary Communist Party lot for instance.
ITT half of all posters seemed to go from apolitical/libertarian/centrist to far left radical.

feedmegin posted:

Edit: for pickled onions specifically, may I suggest making your own :getin: easy to do, tastes nicer, and if you want them strong enough to blow your head off that's easy to make happen.
I'm planning on doing some fermented vegetals over the winter.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Typical funeral time:
First you have to register your death. Easy at least in a city. Not so in rural Gloucestershire. When my dad died 5 years ago, my mum phoned continually over several days the number she was given to book an appointment to do that. Eventually we realized she wasn't getting anywhere and looked online. The number she had been given was ringing into an office in one of the towns that was only staffed 1 hr a week and there was no ansaphone to say that and in any case appointments could only be booked online and in Gloucester itself.
Fortunately she had internet-savvy kids and a car. Otherwise I don't know what she would have done. Getting to Gloucester and back in a day on public transport impossible. Return journey in a taxi approx £150. Imagine being a few years older (she was 78 at the time) and trying to negotiate that on your own when still many 80+ don't have internets.
Took 10 days to register dad's death before we could even start planning the funeral. Total time death to funeral 5 weeks.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I'm planning on doing some fermented vegetals over the winter.

When I first moved to America, I wanted to make pickled onions because they're expensive and hard to find imports over there (and often a bit soft because they've been sitting round too long). I remembered my dad always made pickled onions for Christmas so I phoned him up to ask for the secret family recipe. This is what he handed down to me:

1. Buy Sarsons pre-spiced pickling vinegar
2. Add a few chilis to it
3. Add onions

:effort:

(I had to learn to do it properly because good luck finding pickling vinegar in the US, but tbh a couple of cloves, bit of cinnamon stick, dash of nutmeg or allspice and you're most of the way there)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Guavanaut posted:

ITT half of all posters seemed to go from apolitical/libertarian/centrist to far left radical.

Was gonna say, the inverse certainly seems to be true (eg my religiously Tory voting libertarian younger self)