Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Augus posted:

What’s the deal with the difficulty settings in the Pikmin 3 demo? I‘m playing on Hard and it doesn’t seem any different than the Wii U version of the game.

That's because it's not, "normal" is actually a new easy mode, ultra-spicy is the actual hard mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Ah, the Mega Man 2 method

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
It's so stupid that you can only do one 6-game set in Mario Tennis Aces. It's also stupid that you're forced to use a split-screen in multiplayer. The special shots are also stupid and unfair.

I just wanted to play a simple game of tennis.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Mario Tennis Aces is a fighting game.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I know Mario Galaxy looks great because it has wonderful graphics at 60 fps but it's also because it doesn't have the irritating heatwave effect from Sunshine. Game is phenomenal and while I enjoyed Sunshine, I'm definitely glad I played that before Galaxy. Those stars and penguins are so drat adorable.

Snake Maze posted:

That's because it's not, "normal" is actually a new easy mode, ultra-spicy is the actual hard mode.

drat I missed this and played on normal during the demo. Can you switch mid-game? Guessing I should pop that hard mode on.

Social Animal fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 26, 2020

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

LODGE NORTH posted:

Specifically the Satisfye grip. Not just "a grip" but that specific one. I had the Skull & Co one which still looks the nicest to me, but the form it creates still leaves a lot to be desired. The Satisfye is asymmetrical, so it does...something...to make it way nicer to hold.

For a frame of reference, however, my girlfriend seems to not mind the Skull & Co but she has dainty hands. Mine aren't massive meat hoarders, but they're probably whatever average man hands are.

Had a look at this and it seems great, but doesn't seem available in the UK.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Surprise T Rex posted:

Had a look at this and it seems great, but doesn't seem available in the UK.

I bought this:
https://www.satisfye.com/collections/switchgrip-pro-bundle/products/zengrip-pro-elite
Or something similar. Wanted a case that could handle the grip as well and it's pretty big.
But they shipped to Finland so I don't see why they wouldn't ship to the UK.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
If worse comes to worst, one of us can order it from the US and hopefully the mail still gets through - send it to you for at cost. That said, international shipping is ah. Pricey.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Aerofallosov posted:

If worse comes to worst, one of us can order it from the US and hopefully the mail still gets through - send it to you for at cost. That said, international shipping is ah. Pricey.

Yeah it did become pretty expensive after shipping but it is so worth it. With one of those smaller dock shells I don't need to remove the grip to dock it and the dock fits in the case!
The power supply though, is another matter.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is it possible to order from Amazon US to have it delivered to the UK? I know it's possible for US people to order most products from UK, but I've never thought of the opposite.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Thanks to elderly bigots going into cardiac arrest whenever they think about Polish shops or mixed-race marriages, no-one will be shipping to the UK once the Brexit VAT changes roll in. Get your imports now if you want them.

https://twitter.com/paullewismoney/status/1319187075678220288?s=21

https://twitter.com/quixoticgeek/status/1319212560751693825?s=21

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jackhunter64 posted:

Thanks to elderly bigots going into cardiac arrest whenever they think about Polish shops or mixed-race marriages, no-one will be shipping to the UK once the Brexit VAT changes roll in. Get your imports now if you want them.

https://twitter.com/paullewismoney/status/1319187075678220288?s=21

https://twitter.com/quixoticgeek/status/1319212560751693825?s=21

Is this going to gently caress export stores as well, or is it just getting things INTO the UK?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Is it possible to order from Amazon US to have it delivered to the UK? I know it's possible for US people to order most products from UK, but I've never thought of the opposite.

Probably. It'd be a lot easier than a mail box shenanigans.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

I order a bunch of stuff from Amazon US to Japan. It seems random what ships but check it out and see for sure. Probably a difference between Amazon and third party sellers on the site.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is this going to gently caress export stores as well, or is it just getting things INTO the UK?

The quoted Times article suggests it will for selling to EU countries. And even if it doesn't specifically target UK-based exporters, the oncoming customs/border catastrofuck is going to mess up anything going in and out for months at best. Still though, if it means no strange foreign muck like oranges or rice on the shop shelves, at least Doris and Nigel will be happy for the remaining five to six years of their lives.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

snoremac posted:

It's so stupid that you can only do one 6-game set in Mario Tennis Aces. It's also stupid that you're forced to use a split-screen in multiplayer. The special shots are also stupid and unfair.

I just wanted to play a simple game of tennis.

You can play simple mode, a slightly demeaning mean, to remove the special shot nonsense. That said the lack of multiple sets is egregious as is the splitscreen. It's otherwise quite good but yeah some basic options are missing for dumb reasons.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You can play simple mode, a slightly demeaning mean, to remove the special shot nonsense. That said the lack of multiple sets is egregious as is the splitscreen. It's otherwise quite good but yeah some basic options are missing for dumb reasons.
Okay thanks. Yeah I actually like the flow of a rally and the range of shots available. The core tennis game is nice, but yeah, lot of issues besides. I don't recall a tennis game where a single camera particularly favoured the player with their back to the camera. It's an odd thing to not even have the option to choose.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Snake Maze posted:

Ugh, I hate when games do this. "Normal" should be the standard difficulty, not easy mode in disguise!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Falcon posted:

Ugh, I hate when games do this. "Normal" should be the standard difficulty, not easy mode in disguise!

It's really entirely subjective though. The devs decide what the standard difficulty should be and apparently decided to adjust it un the re-release

I don't think pikmin3 needed to be easier on "normal" but I don't see why it matters if there are two harder modes right there to choose from

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

The Bloop posted:

It's really entirely subjective though. The devs decide what the standard difficulty should be and apparently decided to adjust it un the re-release

I don't think pikmin3 needed to be easier on "normal" but I don't see why it matters if there are two harder modes right there to choose from

That's not what I'm talking about. Let me clarify. If I'm looking to play on the "standard" difficulty, I will reach for Normal, because that's what the standard difficulty has traditionally been called. Devs have been shying way from "Easy" as a difficulty because giant babbies refuse to use "easy" when they're having a rough time, because easy mode is for babies and I'm not a baby! So they struggle, and then bitch about it online and/or leave a game bad reviews. I object to the naming convention.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Scourgebringer came out today and it's pretty tight. It's from the same developers that made Neurovoider, and the pixel art is great. I've only played the demo so far, and the movement reminds me of Celeste, kinda? Lots of wall jumping and air dashing, etc. Really fast paced. I'll get it when it goes on sale and add it to my rogue-like collection.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Falcon posted:

That's not what I'm talking about. Let me clarify. If I'm looking to play on the "standard" difficulty, I will reach for Normal, because that's what the standard difficulty has traditionally been called. Devs have been shying way from "Easy" as a difficulty because giant babbies refuse to use "easy" when they're having a rough time, because easy mode is for babies and I'm not a baby! So they struggle, and then bitch about it online and/or leave a game bad reviews. I object to the naming convention.

Oh I see this is like the Medium, Large, Extra-Large thing

Still seems subjective. If the easiest mode is still balls-hard but there are two even tougher ones should it be called "easy" just because it's the least hard?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Bloop posted:

Still seems subjective. If the easiest mode is still balls-hard but there are two even tougher ones should it be called "easy" just because it's the least hard?

Yes. Normal strongly implies it's the intended difficulty and if there isn't one just leave it as Easy Hard Hardest. Or Hard Harder Hardest, or whatever variation. Normal really just means this is the difficulty that the developers intended with none of the benefits of an easier mode or the detriments of a harder one.

So with Pikmin 3 I would play Normal and even if it's easier I would presume that this was the true difficulty the developers wanted the game to be experienced at and well, for all we know, it is.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So with Pikmin 3 I would play Normal and even if it's easier I would presume that this was the true difficulty the developers wanted the game to be experienced at and well, for all we know, it is.

Right, that's what I'm saying. It's their choice what "normal" is because they designed the game

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

The Bloop posted:

I just want it to to be obvious which one is the standard difficulty. That's it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Do we know what the actual differences are in the Pikmin 3 difficulty modes?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I knew a guy who would play literally everything on the hardest difficulty first time (dunno why, either to extend the life of it or a weird flex I guess) which seems like it would be a very hit or miss way to live, depending on how the devs chose to add difficulty to their game

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Waffle! posted:

Scourgebringer came out today and it's pretty tight. It's from the same developers that made Neurovoider, and the pixel art is great. I've only played the demo so far, and the movement reminds me of Celeste, kinda? Lots of wall jumping and air dashing, etc. Really fast paced. I'll get it when it goes on sale and add it to my rogue-like collection.

Looks fun! Also heavily influenced by HyperLight Drifter? I actually thought it was a spin-off at the beginning of the trailer.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

The Bloop posted:

Right, that's what I'm saying. It's their choice what "normal" is because they designed the game

In this case the game was literally built around hard difficulty, because that was the only difficulty in the original release. I’m not a fan of the renamed difficulties just because unless you specifically look it up online you’ll probably assume normal is the Wii-U difficulty.

They could also fix it by just putting a note in the description of hard difficulty that it’s the difficulty from the Wii-U release. I don’t really care about some abstract “what should difficulties in games be called” question but I do think there’s a specific bit of confusion here that could be avoided.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snake Maze posted:

In this case the game was literally built around hard difficulty

This is a re-jiggered release and we don't really know what's different yet, do we?

They are allowed to change their minds with a new release anyway. It's more akin to admitting a mistake than to trying to trick you somehow

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

The Bloop posted:

This is a re-jiggered release and we don't really know what's different yet, do we?

They are allowed to change their minds with a new release anyway. It's more akin to admitting a mistake than to trying to trick you somehow

We have the demo, and in it hard mode matches the Wii-U release while normal mode is easier (enemies have less health, days are longer, etc)

I guess it’s possible there’s changes past the demo that make the comparison less clear, but honestly I think assuming hard is the Wii-U difficulty is the simplest assumption.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gXbcYPYpaY

Cool video on LUA scripting for emulation, giving a basic idea of how the emulation for 3D All Stars and the upcoming Fire Emblem 1

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gXbcYPYpaY

Cool video on LUA scripting for emulation, giving a basic idea of how the emulation for 3D All Stars and the upcoming Fire Emblem 1

FF6 T-Edition, the cool romhack that was made by a Japanese guy and is entirely in Japanese, is totally, 100% functional and playable because someone made a LUA script making the emulator draw the English script that's compatible with a special version of SNES9X. it's like magic

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

FF6 T-Edition, the cool romhack that was made by a Japanese guy and is entirely in Japanese, is totally, 100% functional and playable because someone made a LUA script making the emulator draw the English script that's compatible with a special version of SNES9X. it's like magic

I love all this sort of stuff. I go on romhacking.net all the time, it's one of my favourite sites ever.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
MVG's channel is very good and worth subscribing to. A lot of first-hand knowledge coming from that guy, unlike a lot of other channels that are just regurgitating what they learned from forums/other youtubers/modding one xbox ever.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

That is some mega clickbait bullshit Nintendo, c’mon.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I love all this sort of stuff. I go on romhacking.net all the time, it's one of my favourite sites ever.

she's even added a lot of quality of life stuff because it's all possible with this LUA scripting stuff. the Cursed Shield tells you how many more battles you need to clear to make it into the Hero's Shield. a lot of the achievements for unlocking costumes are tied to character-specific things like "use Runic X amount of times," and now you can see how many times Celes has used Runic on her status screen. I don't know why anyone would do traditional romhacking where you have to play around in the ROM's limited space when you can do this

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

MVG's channel is very good and worth subscribing to. A lot of first-hand knowledge coming from that guy, unlike a lot of other channels that are just regurgitating what they learned from forums/other youtubers/modding one xbox ever.

Yeah he's great, his knowledge of the original Xbox is really impressive.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The Bloop posted:

This is why difficulty levels should clearly describe in-game what they mean. Regardless of whether they're "trying to trick" anyone, it's easy to avoid problems like the person above who intended to play a harder version of the game he'd already played, but accidentally has been playing the same version, because they relabeled "normal" to "hard".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I saw the MVG video this morning. Was it clarified if the Fire Emblem 1 translation is being LUA scripted? I was hoping to play an extracted version of the rom on another product.