Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Captain Hygiene posted:

Really liking Franklin's special ability in GTAV, basically a bullet time meter you can activate while driving. Careening along at high speed in my clumsy panel van, then suddenly using it to weave gracefully through a crowded traffic jam and evade the folks chasing me is pretty :kiss:

Franklin's was really the only power I found useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Really liking Franklin's special ability in GTAV, basically a bullet time meter you can activate while driving. Careening along at high speed in my clumsy panel van, then suddenly using it to weave gracefully through a crowded traffic jam and evade the folks chasing me is pretty :kiss:

The game never explains how the power works. What it does is increase vehicle mass and ups traction at the same time. It also breaks the top speed limit on all cars and trucks. You can get up to ridiculous speeds by clicking out of it while turning and then clicking it back on immediately, multiplying your momentum.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
It also owns to take down to the beach walk and mowing down hundreds of people

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

madeintaipei posted:

The game never explains how the power works. What it does is increase vehicle mass and ups traction at the same time. It also breaks the top speed limit on all cars and trucks. You can get up to ridiculous speeds by clicking out of it while turning and then clicking it back on immediately, multiplying your momentum.

I could feel the traction and weightiness, but I'm not surprised to find out about the top speed too. They really nailed the feel of it, it feels perfectly natural the first time you use it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The only problem is that Michael and Trevor don't have it and the game occasionally makes you play them and then you crash into all sorts of things because you realize that too late :v:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Franklin's was really the only power I found useful.

Trevor's huge damage reduction during his is handy but it really needed to last longer.

I don't even remember what Michael has.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mokinokaro posted:

Trevor's huge damage reduction during his is handy but it really needed to last longer.

I don't even remember what Michael has.
Slow-mo shooting in case instant L1/R1 target switching from a mile away + pull up the stick a bit for easy headshots isn't enough :laffo:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do like that unlike Arkham, dealing with special enemy types isn't just 'dodge and disarm' but having to actually use different methods and attacks- shield orcs you can attack head on to break the shields but need to dodge their attacks, while berserkers will counter your attacks but are vulnerable to your counters in turn. (the instant-kill counter is one of the best skills in the game)

You have to do that In the Arkham gamed too though. You can't attack thugs with tasers head on for example, you have to either use the batclaw to pull them towards you or short circuit their tasers. If thugs have shields you have to attack them from above. I really liked how you had to think tactical during the combat In the Arkham gamed.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

LawfulWaffle posted:

My dorm mate in college played through Rogue Galaxy and seemed like to like it. I tried it later on PS2 and again on PS4 but it never hooked me for the long run. One thing I really liked was the crafting system, which was like a Zachtronics game before those took off.

https://youtu.be/5RfjuymHeaA

At 100% its ones of the longest JRPGs ever made. Up there with Vesperia.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Hades gets rightfully brought up a lot, but something I haven't seen and appreciate now that I'm working on growing relationships with characters is that your codex is context-sensitive. If you see Zeus and want to check your standing with him, you don't need to open your codex and scroll over to the Zeus page - the game recognizes that you probably want to go there and it just opens directly to the Zeus entry. Just a nice little QoL thing I've noticed recently.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

SkeletonHero posted:

Hades gets rightfully brought up a lot, but something I haven't seen and appreciate now that I'm working on growing relationships with characters is that your codex is context-sensitive. If you see Zeus and want to check your standing with him, you don't need to open your codex and scroll over to the Zeus page - the game recognizes that you probably want to go there and it just opens directly to the Zeus entry. Just a nice little QoL thing I've noticed recently.

I've had issues where, like, I've killed an enemy and gotten a prompt for the codex, but when I open it it's just at the top of the enemy tab. Not sure why, kind of annoying and it means I haven't really read a number of the entries. Often the same with other categories, too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One final thing now that I've beaten Rogue Galaxy - I really liked the final boss. Most games especially the 3d rpgs end with a kind of weird angel thing and it gets a bit dull, so it's nice that (this spoiler also mentions Kingdom Hearts 1 and blue Dragon lategame) after the giant angel thing that you expect, the other villains that you've forgotten about blunder in and result in the relatively rare in 3d final boss type that used to be everywhere in the 2D era - a conglomeration of poo poo all mashed together. It's always fun to see that kind of thing in full 3d, outside of Ansems World of Darkness and the final fight with the robots in Blue Dragon, you don't see it as much in 3d.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Lol, it's shorter than a fast playthrough of Tengai Makyou 2. JRPGs used to be really long.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Pfff. The opening cutscene alone of Xenosaga was 900 hours.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

lord funk posted:

There was more than just an opening cutscene spread over 3 games?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

it's old news but drat if I don't love the pack in stuff in Zachtronics games, like the Trash City News zine in exapunks

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Don Gato posted:

There was more than just an opening cutscene spread over 3 games?

Yeah, you have to get lost in a ship while delivering a character curry for awhile too

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Shorter than Dragon Quest 7!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

lord funk posted:

Xenosaga is still the only game I can think of where you're given save points mid cutscene

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Len posted:

Xenosaga is still the only game I can think of where you're given save points mid cutscene

Pretty sure Xenogears Disc 2 had them too.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Len posted:

Oooh, there was a lategame scene in the Gamecube Custom Robo where this also happened.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Len posted:

Not quite the same, but Final Fantasy XIV usually gives you a warning before a really long string of cutscenes.

"Several long cutscenes will play in sequence, please set aside enough time before proceeding"

It's serious too, the first time that comes up it's about 45 minutes of unbroken cutscenes.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Len posted:

MGS4 has them I think.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Shorter than Dragon Quest 7!

ookiimarukochan posted:

Lol, it's shorter than a fast playthrough of Tengai Makyou 2. JRPGs used to be really long.

Huh

I remember it being longer.
I guess a case of memory getting exaggerated.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There are so many JRPGs where it's not just that they're long but you can tell they had a perfectly good ending but needed to keep going so the story is REALLY about this now instead

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

In FFVII after you leave Midgar Cloud tells the others his story at such great length that he takes two breaks specifically to let you save. Not exactly a cutscene, but the idea is close enough. Probably gonna be its own game in the remake series.

And I seem to remember at least one bit in FFX where you exit a cutscene, walk into the next room which has only a save point, and walk right into the next cutscene.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
E X P O S I T I O N

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Is it true that the FF7 remake ends after Midgar?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Just Offscreen posted:

It's in episodes so yeah

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
But there's still an entire game in there.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The FFVII remake is also one of the few games that hasn't had to be patched to hell and back immediately on release. It just, fuckin... ran.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

My Lovely Horse posted:

Not exactly a cutscene, but the idea is close enough. Probably gonna be its own game in the remake series.

And what leads you to believe that Kalm scene will even BE in the remake. The ending of Episode 1 clearly shows they are going full on Kingdom hearts nonsense.
You will likely see some of the towns of the world there, but I expect the rest of the Episodes to go off the rails and have little to do with the original story.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Push El Burrito posted:

The FFVII remake is also one of the few games that hasn't had to be patched to hell and back immediately on release. It just, fuckin... ran.

Never did get a patch to load those door textures, though.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Push El Burrito posted:

Well until the easily hittable soft lock in Shinra HQ anyway.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Well until the easily hittable soft lock in Shinra HQ anyway.

Soft lock at Shinra?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Just Offscreen posted:

Yes, which according to the final fantasy megathread is *at best* 3 hours and 27 minutes

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

In the remake, it of course takes far far longer. There's a very good chance that by three and a half hours you have not even set off to go bomb the next reactor; they really just filled midgar up enough so that each area is very dense with good stuff to do.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

TontoCorazon posted:

Soft lock at Shinra?

Yeah, you look down through one of the vents into a meeting room and you couldn't exit out of the view. You had to completely restart the game - bunch of people lost all their progress in the Shinra battle simulator to it. I 'only' lost 30 mins but it was still annoying. The game really should have been patched sooner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smlt1Siwy_8

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

In FFVII after you leave Midgar Cloud tells the others his story at such great length that he takes two breaks specifically to let you save. Not exactly a cutscene, but the idea is close enough. Probably gonna be its own game in the remake series.

And I seem to remember at least one bit in FFX where you exit a cutscene, walk into the next room which has only a save point, and walk right into the next cutscene.

FFVII also gives you a save point right before you talk to Yuffie

Except it's a decoy and Yuffie will rob you blind if you use it before talking to her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Something nice I wasn't expecting in GTAV was the help it gives you if you repeatedly fail a mission. Sometimes it stops spawning in particular threats, and if you fail a few times, you can choose to skip to the next segment of a mission. That doesn't solve all of its difficulty issues and there are still plenty of weirdly long segments without any checkpoint help, but it's nice and more than I expected from the game.