Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I finally got around to trying the free DLC sector in Anno 2205.

Rest in peace, Trenchcoat.

(also you want loving superalloys for tier 1 of the sector project?)

And a couple of other random shots because game pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Alkydere posted:

The choice on the desert isle is The Emperor wants to tear up a lot of the old temples for farmland to make cash crops and fine pottery, the locals want to restore their own temple and make food crops. Emperor route is easier and he does set aside a chunk of land on his palace area to make food for the desert people, local is harder but you feel better. If you side with the locals they need you to regularly deliver salted meat and hibiscus tea or they starve while they set things up.

Desert island reward is +15 canal tiles on all water pumps

Scholar island story is Go along or simply look the other way and fail to notice the scholars' historical forgery. If you don't cover for them or at least try to mollify the Emperor he tells them to gently caress off and you don't get their bonus.

Scholar island reward is extra research points from Elders and he kicks out the Not-Catholic missionaries from La Corona/Not-Spain to put up a local monastery)
Oh boo, I didnt realize there would be unique rewards. That said, I think I'm on track for desert island? Think I need to find a bird now.

I didn't want to help the Scholars lie/pass off the forgery. That felt wrong to me.

Qubee posted:

I got my people in the New World up to their max level (level 2), I thought they'd go higher. Is there much else for me to do in the New World or did I reach the limit?
If you only just bumped them into tier 2, there's probably plenty more you'll need to use the new world for, but it mostly exists to create stuff for the Old World.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
I only settled two really good islands in the main map before moving on to Trelawney. One of the AI dicks decided to declare war without any sort of preamble and smashed my second island as I hadn't bothered to put up any cannon defenses. This island supplied beer and fur, which tanked my economy from +15k or so to -1kish. Thankfully had a bit of money saved up so I could build a fleet to take back the island, but that one loss took at least 2 hours to recover from and get sorted.

I bought LoL but with this new game I started I still haven't even gotten to the arctic or LoL after something like 10 hours.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Yeah anyone that isn't already deep into the new quests I'd say wait for a patch. I've had a few crashes and quests bugging out. Had a race to the arch quest pop up and go away again but then came back when I 'rediscovered' the arch in question. Managed to get the Unify all island achievement in the end though.

Annoyingly I have a quest that I solved but came back after a game load about finding a way into the library. The rest of the quest book is now totally empty but it just hangs around.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
I emerged bug free from the LoL quest lines (Archie, you cad) but the game is now relatively unstable...very unstable from the Anno perspective, which is normally rock solid. Got a CTD once, the cursor is acting weirdly jittery at times, and there's definitely a memory leak requiring me to restart every few hours.

I was a little disappointed that you don't have the option to just overthrow the king, take his palace, and establish your own relations with the other islands, with the Angerebe (sp?) becoming a pirate faction.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Qubee posted:

Cape Trelawney is something else, I've got space for days. Is it a bad idea if I turn the Old World and other islands in Cape Trelawney into feeder islands just to supply my main island's residents? Or should I have some high tier pop spread around the world. It's really nice having tonnes of space to build a bustling city without worrying about cramped spaces.

I got my people in the New World up to their max level (level 2), I thought they'd go higher. Is there much else for me to do in the New World or did I reach the limit?

Yes, there’s only two pop tiers in the New World. And it’s historically accurate in that they mainly exist to farm luxury goods for the Old World.

Build up Cape Trelawney with as few production buildings as possible, especially the ugly and polluting ones. Just ship most things in.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Doesn’t Trewlany have a lot of resource nodes? Or do you just pass those up in favour of keeping things pretty?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

webmeister posted:

Yes, there’s only two pop tiers in the New World. And it’s historically accurate in that they mainly exist to farm luxury goods for the Old World.

Build up Cape Trelawney with as few production buildings as possible, especially the ugly and polluting ones. Just ship most things in.

Gotta make use of all that population. Polluting stuff goes on a neighboring island but as much as possible of the rest gets produced on site. Particularly when you start racking up museum/zoo bonuses that affect production buildings.

+1 to waiting for a patch though, this has been remarkably buggy so far. I got a three star expedition perpetually stuck on an unselectable map screen, a quest to befriend the priest island in Enbesa that stopped being advanceable even after beating the main storyline, and I've been getting periodic interface bugs like clicking on terrain to unselect a building/unit stops working and I have to switch to hitting escape, or restart the game.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

For someone new to Anno 1800 which dlc season pass would you recommend? How seamless is it to add DLC after you've already started playing?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

webmeister posted:

Oxyclean posted:

Doesn’t Trewlany have a lot of resource nodes? Or do you just pass those up in favour of keeping things pretty?

First round I just build up Crown Falls with local production, then over time I phase that out and handle most production on other islands.
The only resource node that in any way pollutes is the Oil Platform, so I tend to phase those out, but all the mines get mined, with the resources shipped out.
The only polluting/ugly industry seems to be Brass, Weapons, & Iron, as well as pigs. You can still produce a lot of things locally like for example lightbulbs.

I usually end up with 1-2 islands dedicated purely to being electrified up and mass producing goods. And then 1-2 islands with farmers-workers-artisans handling lower tiers of production, plus some food and luxuries to ship in.

Danimo posted:

For someone new to Anno 1800 which dlc season pass would you recommend? How seamless is it to add DLC after you've already started playing?

Probably the first season, as that gives you Cape Trelawney. (And also the arctic.) The Cape very much becomes your de-facto capital due to it's immense size.
I believe when you load a game, and you've gotten new DLC since you last played it spawns a prompt going 'yo, wanna activate this dlc you got?'. So pretty seamless, especially since all new sessions get unlocked through expeditions.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

I use Crown Falls as my default production hub, with some exceptions. Forge islands (one for steel, one for brass) & a pig island for all things pig-related. I love centralizing production under trade unions, and to have for example one place in the entire world that just spews out an enormous number of bicycles. Then one cargo ship sails the world delivering bicycles to each island that needs them. There's a sausage ship, a bread ship, etc etc.

Brass production is one thing that it really pays to centralize in ONE place, by itself, that either has all the brass using industries on it, and/or ships only to one other island, that being where all brass industries are located (Crown Falls for me). I have a real talent for screwing up my copper/zinc/brass pipelines and forgetting about them, to the result that a big city is suddenly running out of spectacles and in some corner of the Old World there's a huge pile of zinc on some forgotten island.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I don't understand the Mapping Enbesa quest. Where am I supposed to go? What map?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Can't stop thinking about this game. I find it really hard to expand and keep on top of things, it's so easy to get distracted: you'll set out on a task and then be pulled away and next thing you know, you're building a new town for hours when you were originally just trying to setup new shipping routes. Things get even more confusing when I've got a main island being fed by multiple other islands, I haven't found a surefire way of making sure supply keeps up with demand. Right now, I just periodically check the main island's stockpile tab and see if any of the consumer products are trending downwards.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Qubee posted:

Can't stop thinking about this game. I find it really hard to expand and keep on top of things, it's so easy to get distracted: you'll set out on a task and then be pulled away and next thing you know, you're building a new town for hours when you were originally just trying to setup new shipping routes. Things get even more confusing when I've got a main island being fed by multiple other islands, I haven't found a surefire way of making sure supply keeps up with demand. Right now, I just periodically check the main island's stockpile tab and see if any of the consumer products are trending downwards.

Ctrl+Q should bring up a stats menu that shows you all your goods, with one bar representing production and the other consumption. You can filter by island, and as of the most recent patch, select multiple islands. You can also filter by product type (consumer good, intermediate) It's a little hard to describe off the top of my head.

Its super useful for figuring out how much wiggle room you have for more housing, or if you need to drop down another fishery and whatever right now.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Qubee posted:

I haven't found a surefire way of making sure supply keeps up with demand.

The statistics screen does simplify it a lot, since you can see what the actual production/consumption on an island is, as opposed to what it's getting in and out.

Like if you're shipping in good to keep up with demand, then the city receiving it should show exactly how much it needs.
Like Beer -5, Bicycles -2, sewing machines -2.
Then you just need similar production, or a hair above it on the islands supplying it.
It does get a lot more problematic if you have routes going to multiple islands etc though.

It does make me wish there was a 'max storage' in addition to the 'min storage' though, so that it would simplify cases where you might have Island A supplying the same thing to Island B and C.

e: beaten

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

While I was never very good at these games, this is a very complicated game to keep all the plates going, esp when transferring to a new tier.
Maybe you should play some 1404 or 2070, those have less plate spinning and look downright easy compared to 1800. Like Just try to build all 3 monuments in 2070 on a single island or something; to get you very familiar with the core systems.

And now just be content all over again this is my 2070 city I liked most:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Qubee posted:

this your first anno?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Mayveena posted:

I don't understand the Mapping Enbesa quest. Where am I supposed to go? What map?

You should have been given a book from Archie that shows locations to visit when you click on it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zedd posted:

While I was never very good at these games, this is a very complicated game to keep all the plates going, esp when transferring to a new tier.
Maybe you should play some 1404 or 2070, those have less plate spinning and look downright easy compared to 1800. Like Just try to build all 3 monuments in 2070 on a single island or something; to get you very familiar with the core systems.

And now just be content all over again this is my 2070 city I liked most:

It's one reason I keep coming back to 2205. It's simplified, more transparent and user-friendly than usual in the series.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Oxyclean posted:

Ctrl+Q should bring up a stats menu that shows you all your goods, with one bar representing production and the other consumption. You can filter by island, and as of the most recent patch, select multiple islands. You can also filter by product type (consumer good, intermediate) It's a little hard to describe off the top of my head.

Its super useful for figuring out how much wiggle room you have for more housing, or if you need to drop down another fishery and whatever right now.

I really like to use the Storage tab as well for checking if my trade routes are keeping up, particularly those going between zones. Like, you might be producing enough coffee and chocolate to keep up with demand, but that doesn't help if you aren't shipping it quickly enough. The storage tab shows amounts over time, so you can see when you're going to need another ship on the trade route.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Cythereal posted:

It's one reason I keep coming back to 2205. It's simplified, more transparent and user-friendly than usual in the series.

I do very much appreciate how seamless it's logistics are.
Though the sector-swapping is grating compared to 1800, having to wait a couple seconds to swap sectors vs being able to just do it instantly and seamlessly is such a big boost to the user experience.

I feel like some of the big things 2205 got slammed for were:
A: The fact that the basically-campaign was the only game mode available, making it feel very limited.
B: All the crisis sector missions were obligatory on release, but later in it's lifetime nearly all the quest related ones could be skipped by just levelling up your company more.
C: The 'premium currency' style resources, which only served to slow you down to grind as you began to run out of them. Towards the end of the game you'd need 500 graphene+ just to claim an island, which equated to like 1-2 trips through crisis sectors.
D: Loss of scenarios, (which 1800 continues) which compounds the 'there's nothing except the campaign' feeling.
E: Completely static maps, (which to be fair, all Annos have, it's just that a randomized map with a bunch of unique islands shaken up feel more varied than the set-in-stone ones of 2205. Not to mention that there was no resource specialization beyond temp/arc/tund/moon. )
F: Loss of all multiplayer and coop functionality.
G: Loss of most of the customization options, all of them just replaced with generic modules. (It took until the space station dlc to re-add some product specialization back into the game.) (You lost out on ARK/Sector as well as island-specific bonuses from items, going from 2070.)
H: Loss of units, flagships, and AI, leading to a lot less personality and liveliness in maps. Doesn't help that the majority of the campaign is just Sam occasionally popping her head in to say a sentence and then leave again. Compare to 2070's and 1800's campaigns where you have half a dozen active characters.)
I: The DLC seeming like just features that had been nipped out of the game. Both the space station and tundra re-introduce customization and optimization strategies that were by that time core parts of the series' dna.
J: Walbruk Basin's hilariously dumb dam.

And then lastly you had the simplification of production and logistics, which compounded all those issues in the face of the fans.
I've always felt like the loss of so many features at once is one of the reasons it didn't resonate that well with parts of the fanbase.
There were some complaints about the constant sector hopping, but as 1800 proves, that isn't the primary issue.

I'm pretty sure that if 2205 had been closer to 2070 and 1800, it would have been far better received.
(1-2 temperate sectors with large, randomized islands from a pool like always. 1-2 arctic, 1-2 moon. Similar map style with units and warships as other titles.
A separate dedicated, scripted campaign with a couple things happening, much like in 2070 and 1800. Scenarios and multiplayer. Resources per island + specialization/customization via items as per the usual. )

I quite like 2205 in it's simpler, more streamlined form. But when you start listing them off it's insane how many features were sacrificed going from 2070 to 2205, purely to achieve the multi-sector gameplay.
Features they needed another title to mostly re-implement, and I hope things like scenarios will become a thing again next title.
I still very much appreciated item transport in-sector and between sectors being abstracted and streamlined to be a very good thing, though.
And I do like the concept of sector projects, and wouldn't mind seeing something similar pop up again, though more in the style of monuments as opposed to 15-20 steps of busywork quests.

God this post ended up bigger than I intended.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I'm overly amused that the ship I used to unlock Enbessa in this session was named "Deception".

...and now the trade vessel carrying spectacles to the elders is the "Darkness"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SubNat posted:

I quite like 2205 in it's simpler, more streamlined form. But when you start listing them off it's insane how many features were sacrificed going from 2070 to 2205, purely to achieve the multi-sector gameplay.
Features they needed another title to mostly re-implement, and I hope things like scenarios will become a thing again next title.
I still very much appreciated item transport in-sector and between sectors being abstracted and streamlined to be a very good thing, though.
And I do like the concept of sector projects, and wouldn't mind seeing something similar pop up again, though more in the style of monuments as opposed to 15-20 steps of busywork quests.

All that's fair, I suppose, but 2205 was my first entry into the series. 2070 felt like it had a lot more moving parts but wasn't necessarily more complex - just more obfuscated to the player and less obvious about how everything worked.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Eschatos posted:

You should have been given a book from Archie that shows locations to visit when you click on it.

Have no clue where those places are and I hate these dumb riddles anyway. Thanks anyway!

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I know that anno games are never really done, but i feel like finishing up enbesa is a good send off. If i play more it will just be to get more of the same. I only have a population of like 30,000 and I know some people have an entire island full of investors in trelawney. I just feel like I've accomplished what I set out to do after like 150 hours or so. I've gotten my value out of it for now. I always want to restart and do things "right" though... my production is a big spaghetti nightmare of overproduction, inefficiency, and all sorts of errors. To demolish it all and try to fix it or start anew? Or say I'm done with anno 1800 and play something else...

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mayveena posted:

Have no clue where those places are and I hate these dumb riddles anyway. Thanks anyway!

The arch is a tiny little map greeble somewhere random on the water. If you win the resulting race it's named "Victory Arch", if you lose Blake names it "Blake's Archie."

The pic with the skeleton highlighted lowlands is an inaccessible area behind the mountains on a settleable island, it's an elephant graveyard

Totally Not Pride Rock is in the very center of a settleable island, a big round one, just move your boat up into the nearby bay

The waterfall is around back of an island, look for an island with a sharp inlet on one side

In case anyone else wants help. As far as I can tell the quest has no real reward besides getting it off your to-do list.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 27, 2020

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks!

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

SubNat posted:

D: Loss of scenarios, (which 1800 continues) which compounds the 'there's nothing except the campaign' feeling.

This was a big shock for me in Anno 1800. I skipped over 2205 due to the poor reception from esteemed Anno fans and was quite surprised that they were gone in the latest game. Whilst I did play the Campaigns in 1404 and 2070, I felt like almost all my time was attempting some of the scenarios. They were good in that they gave you an overall objective whereas I feel like Anno 1800 in its freeplay mode is a little bit directionless and lacks focus. The Campaigns I see as a narrative driven tutorial really and I have never replayed them, they are serviceable but some of the voice acting and writing is outrageously cringey.

I just picked up 2205 because it was £10 in a Uplay sale I figured its worth it to noodle around on the Moon and make a pretty base.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Oh man you're really not limited by the rate of research gain at all. You get so much compared to your research cap. I've gotten up to 5K cap which means I can start grabbing the really juicy stuff...once because the second one requires 10K. You get one old-world rum, coffee or cotton factory license per research. They produce 2 units/minute, require electricity so they're not improved by it...and absolutely worth it.

"Rum" is made out of potatoes and coal, "Coffee" is made out of grain mash and "Cotton" is made out of wool and logs.

"Researching" items to add them to your pool starts at 500 beakers and that category (culture, machines, or people) goes up by 50 until you hit 1,000 beakers each at which point it goes up by 100. But it takes so long to do item production or the major researches you might as well burn your spare points on that stuff in between. Your research cap is set by your scholar count and after your first 10 for unlocking them you have to do a 30 minute research to get another set of 5 dormitories so that doesn't exactly grow quickly either.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Mayveena posted:

I had a real tough time with most of those.

The stone arch is near the very bottom of the map in some open ocean.
Graveyard I forget exactly but look for a lowered grey beach area separate from the actual land. It's smaller than the picture suggests.
I forget about lion king pride rock, I think on the right side, it's def the most visible of em though.
The waterfall church is on the coast of an upper left island.

Unless island positions are randomized with this DLC, in which case good luck.

At the point in the game where I'm trying to max out engineers and investors. Love too completely redo my new world trade routes and find out that full cargo ships full of a single resource still aren't enough to meet needs. Time to bite the bullet and bring tractor farms to every new world island.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

I am playing with the research now as well, and I'm a little underwhelmed. I hope I am wrong that the island changing research projects (change ore, move clay) aren't restricted to the island where I built the research facility. If yes...I mean great but wtf. Can we knock it down and rebuild elsewhere? In the New World? Do we have to start over if we want to change another island?

Also surprised to learn that each researcher "house" contains a lot of people. I plunked down 25 or so and suddenly these guys are blowing out 2 tailor shops like they aren't even there.

Lastly, was surprised to see Beryl attack one of Anton's islands last night: "Goontown is under siege."

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I played a few hours of Anno 1800 yesterday and I feel like I'm getting a handle on it a bit but I only just now got artisans.

I'm playing the campaign and I made a lot of assumptions in the beginning about city layout based on my experience with other city-builders (mostly Tropico) that turned out to be counterproductive, the big one being that I thought people would need to live near their jobs before I figured out how the worker pool works. So my first island is a goddamn mess with pig farms, potato fields and lumberjacks way too close to the city.

The tutorial is weirdly not helpful enough to someone who is more or less completely new to the series. I didn't know there were other islands to find on the old world map until I watched some youtubes and that I should be exploring with my flagship, nor that I could claim them for myself. Is there a reason I shouldn't just load my boat full of planks and steel and go claim all the places that aren't yet? I went ahead and claimed one nearby island but haven't really figured out what to do with it yet.

Is there somewhere that tells me exactly how many people a given resource will support? The statistics and supply screens work pretty well but I'd prefer to know what the schnapps:people ratio is so that I can plan ahead rather than constantly play catch-up.

also my new-ish steel setup is really polluting the poo poo out of my starting island, do i have a way of mitigating that yet? these dinky little parks and ornaments I can put up don't seem to put a real dent in that score.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Welcome to Anno, may I direct you to the wiki for all your data diving needs?
https://anno1800.fandom.com/wiki/Anno_1800_Wiki#Guides

Anno 2070 had a companion app made by some fans that had all useful information like that baked in, wish someone did one for 1800 too.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
As you discovered they don't need to live near their jobs, just on the same island (and you can use a commuter pier more late game to share workforces across islands). Conversely they don't care how close things are to their homes.

Polluting items affect the whole island no matter how close to homes they are. The only way to mitigate is to move the industry to it's own island, but that's not something you need to worry about until later.

You'll want to capture new islands for space and for fertilities. You'll probably run into something you're missing when you start trying to make beer or canned food. You'll build ships and set up trade routes to move goods.

I don't have a people:item ratio but I do use this a lot:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

1800 is actually the first Anno game I've played that shows you those production chain ratios in the game. It's really nice.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Danimo posted:

I played a few hours of Anno 1800 yesterday and I feel like I'm getting a handle on it a bit but I only just now got artisans.

I'm playing the campaign and I made a lot of assumptions in the beginning about city layout based on my experience with other city-builders (mostly Tropico) that turned out to be counterproductive, the big one being that I thought people would need to live near their jobs before I figured out how the worker pool works. So my first island is a goddamn mess with pig farms, potato fields and lumberjacks way too close to the city.
Don't worry too much, you're gonna have to rebuild significant chunks of your island anyway as new mechanics get unlocked.

quote:

The tutorial is weirdly not helpful enough to someone who is more or less completely new to the series. I didn't know there were other islands to find on the old world map until I watched some youtubes and that I should be exploring with my flagship, nor that I could claim them for myself. Is there a reason I shouldn't just load my boat full of planks and steel and go claim all the places that aren't yet? I went ahead and claimed one nearby island but haven't really figured out what to do with it yet.
You absolutely can, and should, claim more islands ASAP, if only to deny them to the other AIs. Besides the material cost(money, resources), expanding also requires influence, which you gain by having more population, particularly high-tier population. Multi-island production chains are what makes an Anno game an Anno game so you're gonna have to wrap your head around them sooner or later.

quote:

Is there somewhere that tells me exactly how many people a given resource will support? The statistics and supply screens work pretty well but I'd prefer to know what the schnapps:people ratio is so that I can plan ahead rather than constantly play catch-up.
There's nothing in-game, but there's a wiki and plenty of other guides.

quote:

also my new-ish steel setup is really polluting the poo poo out of my starting island, do i have a way of mitigating that yet? these dinky little parks and ornaments I can put up don't seem to put a real dent in that score.
You can build more attractive stuff like zoos, or use items in trade unions that reduce pollution, but in the end you're gonna have some ugly and polluted hellholes anyway.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

1800 is actually the first Anno game I've played that shows you those production chain ratios in the game. It's really nice.

2205 has something similar. (If not the same? I dont remember how it went, i just know I didnt need to use external resources.)

But yeah, having only played 2070 in ages past, my return the franchise was 1800->2205->2070 so it was super jarring to go back to 2070 and have ratios be completely opaque.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, this is a huge improvement. I'm hopeful that the next game will display consumption rates in the same way. Most of the time I just intentionally build too much production and set it up to passively sell or have the trade route stop at a NPC harbor to sell off anything left over after the last stop. I would prefer to be able to calculate how much I will need without the wiki.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

Danimo posted:

Beginner tips

1) Houses go in one place, industry in another.

2) Don't upgrade your warehouses, build additional basic ones instead.

3) Brick roads expand the reach of everything.

4) I still play by feel and never look at the stats screen. aim for overproduction, then scale it back if becomes obvious that too many production buildings are sitting idle.

5) The right click radial menu has a hand icon, this allows you to pick up and drag buildings around on an island. It is super handy for reorganizing and way cheaper than rebuilding.

6) Go out there and claim whatever islands you can, try to make sure you get at least one of each fertility type (grapes, furs, hops, etc).

7) Nothing you can do about pollution at this stage that wouldn't retard your necessary growth. Pollution isn't that bad of an effect and you can fix it later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

The production chains are the one thing that I figured out immediately since it seems to work really similarly to Satisfactory, a game I wasn't expecting to draw comparisons to from the outset. Its just finding out how big I need to scale the chains that puzzled me.

Thanks for the tips and guides all. A big hump I need to get over is the strict real-time aspect of the game. Not being able to do anything while paused is incredibly distressing. The logical part of me has realized that time progresses pretty slowly and the campaign hasn't made it seem like I should worry about the AIs much at this point, but I still feel a bit rushed to do everything because the time is progressing.