Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

goblin week posted:

Mass protests across the country including under Kaczyński’s house. Cops gassing and beating people left and right, including sejm politicians with qualified immunity. Taxi drivers joined the protests and farmers are pledging too (they actually go against PiS because they feel very offended by the „treat animals better” bill, but, uh, enemy of my enemy?). Żoliborz district got internet cut.

What color revolution are you doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

What color revolution are you doing?

Uterine.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Dear higher power, please let me live in German partition this time. Here's to hoping civil war will be brief.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Good for Belarus because instead of thinking how to disrupt the weekend protests Luka is busy thinking of sick smarmy burns to own the polacks

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Somaen posted:

Good for Belarus because instead of thinking how to disrupt the weekend protests Luka is busy thinking of sick smarmy burns to own the polacks

Oh man, if he tries to portray himself as a huge feminist for allowing abortions, it's going to be the most hilarious thing since, well, since yesterday when he said cheese is a cure for coronavirus.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Randarkman posted:

What's OMON anyway? Doing a quick search am I right in thinking that they are kind of like a late and post-Soviet gendarmerie mixed with SWAT? Do they do regular policing at times a bit curious about this because back in 2007 when I spent a summer in St. Petersburg I was typically at the lookout for cops (trying to avoid them, because Russian cops will try to scam and rob you), and I kind of remember that there was this distinction I saw between normal Militia (police) uniforms and some other dudes who were typically out in the roads, who wore what seemed to be grey or black combat fatigues IIRC (it's been a long time). At the time I thought they were traffic police (who people said were typically the most corrupt and abrasive, and then I thought it was kind of weird how the traffic police seemed to be kitted out for combat), but now I'm wondering if they were OMON, if they are indeed kind of like part European-style Gendarmerie, who'll do normal policing alongside their more paramilitary duties.

its simple. OMON stands for отряд милиции особого назначения. A select unit within the normal police to destroy protests, they are being despised by the army for their sheer intention, to beat unarmed people, while they are gearing up for war with NATO or something. Nobody likes them very much

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 24, 2020

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

What concerns Tihanovskaya ultimatum, it sucks. She has no authority to make such proclamations, she is't here among us, has not much idea how it is on the ground. Saddest part is that she was a good, surprisingly good aid to the movement but she heard an order from her husband Sergei and totally thrown her whole policy because he said so. Now, who knows? we never pledged to obey Tikhanovskaya orders or throw ourselves under the tanks. We do what we feel is right, disconnect only serves the regime.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

What I am saying is I am ok with Svetlana who was literally elected to be president. But I refuse to follow orders from her husband who might have well went insane from torture that he experienced in prison.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You don't have to. I don't expect a general strike to happen, but I also doubt it would harm the protest. People will carry on, just as they did when all supposed leaders of the protest were jailed or exiled. The movement is bigger than any one public person.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Yeah, thank you Paladinus for support. Nevertheles some intend to follow through with ultimatum. A dude even at my job asked to be let temporarily let go from monday so he won't get paid and pay no taxes

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1320003360804597760

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The situation in Poland is a clusterfuck, but also misreported. The Constitutional Tribunal, packed with right wing judges, ordained that aborting embryos due to their health is unconstitutional. The constitution does not address this issue. They might just as well ordain that the constitution says that purple is actually blue.

This is not an actual piece of legislature - you can’t take it to court, or have the EU or UN intervene. The only thing it does is, aside from giving the finger to all women, is it obligates the parliament to rewrite current legislation so it reflects the court ruling, but it has to go through the whole legislative process which faces detractors from other parties and is open to international scrutiny.

In the end, its this Trumpian pattern of putting a gently caress up on top of a gently caress up, wrapped in a bunch of gently caress ups. The tribunal’s legality is super questionable. The possibility to push this through the legislature is suspect. Existence within the EU with these regulations is probably impossible. But on top of everything, this gets pushed through at the very height of the pandemic in the country, with 13k+ cases a day, on the eve of the president himself getting the rona.

This is all heading to an eventual meltdown, is what I’m saying.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

BTW, there’s so many people sick now that the national stadium in Warsaw is being transformed into a field hospital. Or it was, until our dum president decided to have a photo op on site hours before learning he has COVID. The whole thing’s on hold now until they disinfect the place and quarantine half of the construction crew.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/stumbras3/status/1319994301322059782?s=21

This dude’s a part of the COVID conspiracy protest in Warsaw today so gently caress him, but he does deserve points for running on top of cop vans and eating poo poo at the end.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mokotow posted:

the COVID conspiracy protest

ah humans, aren't we a lovely bunch :allears:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Pompeo called Lukashenko on the phone for some reason

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sekenr posted:

Pompeo called Lukashenko on the phone for some reason

Forget Mike and Nick, it's Mike and Alex now.

What's really interesting here is that previously Lukashenko bragged about not picking up when Merkel called. And Macron had to pass a message to Lukashenko through Putin, too. It wouldn't surprise me, if Lukashenko tried to play multi-vector foreign policies again, despite Russia's demands.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Yeah, thoght so too. Maybe he understands who is the true master? He responds to America

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
My Twitter feed this morning is bursting with takes that Borat Sagdiyev is in fact a racist caricature of Eastern Europeans that could and should be equated to racist depictions of other cultures, even if it is used to expose the racist views of the people he interacts with.

I don't have the time or energy to force myself to think about this in depth, but I'd be surprised if has not came up before. Ends justify the means or?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Tonton Macoute posted:

My Twitter feed this morning is bursting with takes that Borat Sagdiyev is in fact a racist caricature of Eastern Europeans that could and should be equated to racist depictions of other cultures, even if it is used to expose the racist views of the people he interacts with.

I don't have the time or energy to force myself to think about this in depth, but I'd be surprised if has not came up before. Ends justify the means or?

I will not try to save us from our many faults but Borat Sagdiyev is making fun of IMO far east tyrannys. When I wrote it I felt embarrased, Belarus is far4 east tyranny

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Ah Yes, Borat is straight from a minstrel show, where as is widely known, people in blackface were famous for exposing prejudices, racism and ignorance of the white masters.

Don’t engage with morons.

Dziekuję

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Ah Yes, Borat is straight from a minstrel show, where as is widely known, people in blackface were famous for exposing prejudices, racism and ignorance of the white masters.

Don’t engage with morons.

Dziekuję

Sir this is a Chłopskie Jadło

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Mokotow posted:

The situation in Poland is a clusterfuck, but also misreported. The Constitutional Tribunal, packed with right wing judges, ordained that aborting embryos due to their health is unconstitutional. The constitution does not address this issue. They might just as well ordain that the constitution says that purple is actually blue.

This is not an actual piece of legislature - you can’t take it to court, or have the EU or UN intervene. The only thing it does is, aside from giving the finger to all women, is it obligates the parliament to rewrite current legislation so it reflects the court ruling, but it has to go through the whole legislative process which faces detractors from other parties and is open to international scrutiny.

In the end, its this Trumpian pattern of putting a gently caress up on top of a gently caress up, wrapped in a bunch of gently caress ups. The tribunal’s legality is super questionable. The possibility to push this through the legislature is suspect. Existence within the EU with these regulations is probably impossible. But on top of everything, this gets pushed through at the very height of the pandemic in the country, with 13k+ cases a day, on the eve of the president himself getting the rona.

This is all heading to an eventual meltdown, is what I’m saying.

On top of that, they made an actual lockdown downright impossible. People were already ignoring the few anti-COVID regulations. Two weeks after the government threatened "zero tolerance for not wearing masks" I've seen a fuckload of people not wearing masks or doing it improperly, both inside and outside, including the middle of a crowded street at noon. There is a fitness club claiming to be a church and a shop; the police came to investigate it, but didn't know what to do and didn't shut it down. Restaurants were ignoring the limits of people who can be inside and yesterday, despite the government closing them down, a few of them were still open. It's not that weird, because the government doesn't even pretend they know what they're doing – they were promising everyone no lockdown just a week ago, then closed the restaurants almost overnight. One of the things that pisses people off is that the churches are still open with very lax limits of people inside. Even for the people over 70, who were forbidden to leave their homes yesterday, going to the church is one of the few exceptions.

Now they blew all the credibility they had left. With the people on the streets (including even the soccer hooligans, oddly enough) and the police already ignoring unmasked people to focus on the protests, there's no way in hell an actual lockdown could be enforced.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tonton Macoute posted:

Wouldn't it be Central Asian? Not to nitpick but Kazakhstan is in Central Asia and the fact that they filmed all the Kazakhstan scenes in Romania* drives home the fact that they were playing on the general ignorance people have of geography. The general idea, which these critics are obviously missing, is that it's meant to play on the ignorance Americans because they generally know very little about the world outside North America, if even that.

*Kazakhstan has a pretty low press freedom ranking so I don't think foreigners could film much there.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
As a rule, I don't like ethnic caricaturing. But I usually just follow what the herd considers socially okay or not okay, and don't speak up.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mokotow posted:

https://twitter.com/stumbras3/status/1319994301322059782?s=21

This dude’s a part of the COVID conspiracy protest in Warsaw today so gently caress him, but he does deserve points for running on top of cop vans and eating poo poo at the end.

Needs Mario music.

How do you think the Belarusian general strike will go? From Sunday's demos it would seem like Batka will have to go, but I fear this will go on for a while before he resigns.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Poland update: Abortion protests are still happening and remain big. The weekend saw protest marches even in small towns, along with huge ones in the cities, some almost totally spontaneous. It's pretty obvious that this has caused anger over the mishandling of the pandemic to boil over. While state TV screams about evil hysterical feminists, the government itself has completely clammed up beyond asking for peace. It's pretty obvious they did not expect protests of this scale or this degree of anger.

Plus, the protests are starting to take aim at the Catholic Church. Churches have been blockaded and spraypainted and apparently some protests featured chants of "gently caress the clergy". Pearl clutching and how-dare-yous suddenly do nothing. All of this was completely loving unthinkable five years ago. The Church had that protective bubble of specialness for so long, which let them keep having political power and wealth while claiming immunity to criticism because attacking them is "an attack on faith", they stretched it and stretched it and it's pretty clear this is the breaking point. Even liberal Catholics are just done putting up with the clergy and their bullshit. I've been around for too long to confuse spontaneous outbursts of popular anger for lasting social change, but I don't think there's any going back to the previous status quo where almost everyone self-policed to be "respectful of religious feelings".

There's a viral video where a group of teenage girls in a small town jeers at a priest who came to their protest to argue, ultimately just chanting "gently caress off" at him, and it is absolutely magical. You can see the miracle of transsubstantiation happen in real time as God's servant on Earth, confidently striding in to chastise his flock led astray, transforms into a helplessly spluttering middle-aged man in a dress.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

As they should. This law is insane

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
as a stupid slav, borat is extremely cool and good. a really big portion of internet left has lost its sense of humour somewhere, and it's getting incredibly tiring

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Borat was absolutely hilarious

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

There are reports that entire shifts in Grodnoazot chemical plant just plain vanshed and failed to show up at work. This is a 24 hour operation which cannot be stopped due to some sorts of chemical process and work is being done by shift managers. Everything is hilarious right now because Luka specifically promised to finally restore order this weeked and it is the opposite of order, people don't give a gently caress what he says anymore.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Students talking to their university teacher WTF :D

Dude lost all control over himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4jJWG4y19I

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Is Borat supposed to be a Slav or a Turkman? I thought he was the latter as he's from Kazakhstan.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
He's not supposed to be anything specific, really. He's only from Kazakhstan because the character couldn't work if he wasn't from a real world country.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I am pessimistic as gently caress with regards to the situation in Poland re:human rights. Don't want to bring the mood down but it is what it is.

e: to be more coherent, I don’t expect the Irish model to repeat here.

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 26, 2020

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Of course it won't change. At least the issue is easier to understand to a layperson than when PiS destroyed the independence of judicial power. I hope Polish Church goes a step further and separates into "traditional values JP2 100%" and one in line with the present Pope.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Also in surprising to me (but unsurprising all things considered) news Poland's per capita consumption of alcohol increases year over year. At 12.5 we're still behind such titans like Belarus, Moldova or Lithuania, but we've overtaken famously boozy South Korea and Finland.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sekenr posted:

There are reports that entire shifts in Grodnoazot chemical plant just plain vanshed and failed to show up at work. This is a 24 hour operation which cannot be stopped due to some sorts of chemical process and work is being done by shift managers. Everything is hilarious right now because Luka specifically promised to finally restore order this weeked and it is the opposite of order, people don't give a gently caress what he says anymore.

From the "azot" part of the name I suppose they produce nitrogen? It's gonna stop being hilarious when the thing explodes, like the AZF plant in Toulouse in 2001. Or the dock warehouse in Beirut a few months ago...

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Anne Frank Funk posted:

I am pessimistic as gently caress with regards to the situation in Poland re:human rights. Don't want to bring the mood down but it is what it is.

e: to be more coherent, I don’t expect the Irish model to repeat here.

I'm fairly optimistic myself. Well, the legislation sucks big time obviously, but I do see it as a sign of things finally cracking in the ruling camp, already struggling under internal pressures, as shown by the recent coalition reshuffling.

Now, the de facto abortion ban isn't a popular law - not even in a 'vocal opposition will become more vocal' way - year after year, the polls show the public opinion is way closer to relaxing, rather than tightening these laws (even if ultimately kept from going either way by the moderates). It's not a law passed for their voters - it's a tribute paid for whatever the new deal is within the ruling camp.

Sure, the PiS kool-aiders will love it, but the rest of their remaining voter base - those people who traditionally kept ping-ponging between PO and PiS, or who put up with their bullshit for a semblance of social programs - is being made even more uncomfortable with their clownery. Now, I don't think that farmers, taxi cab drivers and Arka Gdynia hools suddenly became #1 abortion stans, but rather picked up the protest momentum to let loose of their own many, many frustrations over this government's clownery. And that's very good - both in general, to get rid of these fuckos and to perhaps have the momentum of a Flagship Issue when it comes to rolling this back one day, to hopefully swing the other way before . And hell, it's been heartwarming to see the Konfederacja nazis backtracking over this, as they're being torn apart over this.

Furthermore, as EU is finally starting to get off its rear end and find (budgetary) discplinary measures against Orban, Kaczyński et al, they wouldn't ordinarily give a single gently caress about Poland's abortion cOmPrOmIsE - but now that it's a big flashy topic tightly intertwined with the dissolutoin of rule of law up to the constitutional level, hell, it might just get on the docket for "protecting european values", whatever that's meant to mean.

Given the ineptness of our virtually non-existent opposition I wouldn't hope for too much out of it - it's not like we're gonna topple that government over this. But, with no-one to beat them I very much await for every sign of them eventually getting to the 'devouring themselves' stage of downfall (the only way it'll ever end) and to hope for enough pushback to be able to liberalize the abortion law (rather than purely rolling the change back to status quo) before the moderates go back to not caring again. My biggest worry in general over everything that happened over the PiS rule has been that of legacy - of how much of the stupid poo poo they did will never get rolled back, once some useless center-right stooges take their place eventually. So I'm very, very glad to see issue resonating among normie masses and hope that'll last long enough.

Also, the brazenness of protestors loving with churches (crashing the masses, spraying abortion hotline numbers on the walls) has been breathtaking. I don't necessarily know if it's ultimately good or bad (in terms of emboldening vs pearl clutching among wide centrist masses), but gently caress if it hasn't finally made me think I might just live long enough to see local politics outgrow the eternal post-solidarity boomer hellscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

We have an abortion ban even though it's not supported by a majority and, if push comes to shove, we will leave the EU if it waggles its finger at us enough even though its also against the will of majority. And that is because, as it stands, these decisions are not up to the majority of Poles. As a hypothetical, how many years before a leftist party wins elections in Poland in your opinion?