Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It's probably worth joining a guild anyway, pubbie guilds can have friendly crafters too if you're lucky and it will almost certainly be a better group content experience than queueing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

You can join up to 5 guilds at once, so join a few pubbie guilds and you'll have plenty of people to play with.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

This game isn't as popular with goons these days, but that's understandable when the main content of it is PvE and a mostly solo experience. PvP is fun and all, but due to the combat bugs and stuff the game has it can get a bit rage inducing and the devs simply don't have the means in which to solve them.

FFXIV is a fun experience and also a bit more popular of a game too. I've played so many hours in FFXIV in the past that I just find it boring these days, but that's largely on me. I also prefer to just log in and casually do my own thing which ESO is perfect for.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

I founded the EU guild back at launch and it pretty much died as people hit the old champion levels and noped out (I lasted until rank 3 :v:).
There's about a handful that logs on now and then but it doesn't look like they're particularly active. Most either quit for good or moved to the US server.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I play on EU in one of the Rose Guilds (Pacific Rose, Autumn Rose, etc.). They're pretty big, active, and have a popular discord. Also, as far as I noticed, no bigotry or misogyny or any of that in chat. Can recommend.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Wandered into a world boss in Clockwork City right as a huge group of high level players was taking it on. Died like 3 times but I had soul gems to spare and it was really fun jumping into the middle of a boss fight like that. Getting to do more actually challenging fights like that might be the only thing that gets me to bother with a guild.

Also, is it normal for them to have insta-kills or am I actually too low level to take a single hit from a world boss? I was under the impression pretty much all the pve content was level-scaled to make it so you couldn't be underleveled but maybe I misunderstood?

busalover posted:

I play on EU in one of the Rose Guilds (Pacific Rose, Autumn Rose, etc.). They're pretty big, active, and have a popular discord. Also, as far as I noticed, no bigotry or misogyny or any of that in chat. Can recommend.

Unless I'm mistaken, no way to actually search for a guild by name. At best I can filter the types of guilds and hope it shows up in the results.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Xinder posted:

Also, is it normal for them to have insta-kills or am I actually too low level to take a single hit from a world boss? I was under the impression pretty much all the pve content was level-scaled to make it so you couldn't be underleveled but maybe I misunderstood?

It's totally possible to be insta-killed by a lot of bosses, yeah. Even with the scaling you're still probably missing survivability from skills, gear set bonuses and champion points, and it will also depend on how tanky your build is in general, if you're including health bonuses and heavy armour or if you're a bit of a glass cannon. And after all that there's still stuff you're expected to mitigate further by dodging or blocking or whatever. DLC content, including world bosses, tend to be meaner, so it's not unexpected that you'll be having an interesting time when you first try them.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Deformed Church posted:

It's totally possible to be insta-killed by a lot of bosses, yeah. Even with the scaling you're still probably missing survivability from skills, gear set bonuses and champion points, and it will also depend on how tanky your build is in general, if you're including health bonuses and heavy armour or if you're a bit of a glass cannon. And after all that there's still stuff you're expected to mitigate further by dodging or blocking or whatever. DLC content, including world bosses, tend to be meaner, so it's not unexpected that you'll be having an interesting time when you first try them.

Okay, that definitely makes sense. I'm the healer of our small team of now 3 players (roped a mutual friend into playing with us) so I know a bit squishy, I just was expecting to be able to blast out heal ults after a hit and i was dying too fast to be able to heal myself appropriately. This just means I need to get better at dodging.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Xinder posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, no way to actually search for a guild by name. At best I can filter the types of guilds and hope it shows up in the results.

Try messaging Gariele for an invite to Pacific Rose, they own the guild house so that should be possible.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
queued into a dungeon and got a fake dps in a sub 45, I guess more just very confused.

we asked why he wasn't putting out any damage and he said he was the tank. I told him he was mistaken, I'm the tank and he replied "okay, I'll be healer then" :wtc:

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
I’ve got a lot of isolated down time right now and it’s led to me getting on a nostalgic mmo kick. I played this one in beta / when it first launched, but my friends didn’t stick with it so neither did I. Enjoying getting back into it for what it is. Anyway, I’ve got a particular rear end question googling hasn’t solved for me.

I’ve made an Argonian magicka Warden with the end goal of being a solo / crafting character. Hearing about stuff like the arenas interests me and is my current goal. A lot of builds I’ve seen when looking up info run two destruction staffs. Is running a resto staff on your back bar a bad idea / major dps loss?

Since I got access to a bunch of nice heals, I thought having a heavy attack that empowers them and also restores bonus mana might be a good choice for the back bar. The only destro skill I plan on taking is wall of elements and that’s on my front bar already.

Is this secretly a terrible choice for reasons the game hasn’t made clear to me? I know how mmo’s do things.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

brainSnakes posted:

Is running a resto staff on your back bar a bad idea / major dps loss?

If you are a DPS then probably. As you only get access to 5 skills plus an ulti, you end up swapping weapons a lot to pull of enough damage. It is worth putting a resto staff in your back bar and a skill from it in your front bar to level it up a bit while you level though, to give you more flexibility later.

Check out AlcastHQ if you haven't yet too, their guides such as the https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-warden-beginner-guide/ are pretty good.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

brainSnakes posted:

I’ve got a lot of isolated down time right now and it’s led to me getting on a nostalgic mmo kick. I played this one in beta / when it first launched, but my friends didn’t stick with it so neither did I. Enjoying getting back into it for what it is. Anyway, I’ve got a particular rear end question googling hasn’t solved for me.

I’ve made an Argonian magicka Warden with the end goal of being a solo / crafting character. Hearing about stuff like the arenas interests me and is my current goal. A lot of builds I’ve seen when looking up info run two destruction staffs. Is running a resto staff on your back bar a bad idea / major dps loss?

Since I got access to a bunch of nice heals, I thought having a heavy attack that empowers them and also restores bonus mana might be a good choice for the back bar. The only destro skill I plan on taking is wall of elements and that’s on my front bar already.

Is this secretly a terrible choice for reasons the game hasn’t made clear to me? I know how mmo’s do things.

Arenas are about blitzing through mechanics quickly to avoid damage, so yes not having a resto staff is a major dps loss. Ideally (and Dori can correct me on this as he still dabbles in the game) you want a Maelstrom Staff on your back bar with Wall of Elements because of this bonus

An Inferno staff is optimal but I've seen a guy absolutely destroy stuff on a mag warden with an ice staff backbarred.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaB6DrnmqFA

Obviously not something to aim for starting out but this is basically what a magicka warden setup looks like.

Gunner3579
Jul 25, 2008
Can I get an invite to the NA guild? My account is @Gunner3579

Thanks in advance!

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Online has way better writing than I expected. I did Clockwork City during the free week of ESO Plus and it's clear there are some online lorehead savvy writers on board with the DLC era Online writers' team. The DLCs in general bring up so many of the more out there aspects of the setting in a shockingly internally consistent manner that I'm curious to see if TES6 itself will feel as satisfying. I'm cautiously optimistic with an emphasis on cautiously because it has been the series trend for the writers to get away with more in DLCs and Online feels like it has landed in that sweet spot pretty squarely.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Clockwork city is probably the best content in the game imo, closely followed by Vvardenfel. Should be dozens of hours of play, so even if those are the only ones you play I'd say it's worth the price.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Might do Summerset as well since it concludes the "story arc", even if I have much less interest in that zone itself. Will probably also do the Elsweyr and Murkmire stuff out of sheer khajiiti and argonian love, and then go into dormancy to wait for more interesting DLC to come out. Not gonna touch Skyrim 2 I don't think.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

DLC story is far better written IMO than what came with the base game.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Really not surprised. I played some of the original plot back when and bounced off hard. I'm into what they have going on with Elsweyr when it comes to building Anequina as a setting but I'm a bit iffy on how many of the base ESO story characters they tie into it. Vvardenfell-into-CC works as well as it does because it has little to no baggage for you to start with and you can heartily ignore everything going on with the Planemeld plotline.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Nina posted:

Might do Summerset as well since it concludes the "story arc", even if I have much less interest in that zone itself. Will probably also do the Elsweyr and Murkmire stuff out of sheer khajiiti and argonian love, and then go into dormancy to wait for more interesting DLC to come out. Not gonna touch Skyrim 2 I don't think.

I really like Summerset. While the main plot line is a little meh (although I haven’t finished it) it has some interesting subplots and great writing and continues from the previous Dominion areas pretty well. The isle itself is interesting enough if a little generic fantasy.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I might be alone in this but I like the main plot, or the ideas there, the execution is flawed at times.

Yes, it's just Oblivion again. But honestly it feels like Oblivion done better.

Tamriel is hosed up, lesser threats see opportunity to start poo poo. some people are deadric cult infiltrators, others just try to appease the daedra to survive. There's weight and change (as much as an mmo can manage to be fair) and it all feels appropriately world shaking.

It's not just 8 dudes outside of Bruma and then watch an NPC turn into a dragon.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

There's parts of that I like. Such as the whole idea of Imperial warlords wandering off to start poo poo with their own fiefdoms in the provinces Imperial Remnant style as seen in N.Elsweyr. I like seeing politics take place even if TES has a habit of downplaying that aspect, Molag Bal is just kind of a boring primary threat.

Generally speaking they do a good job portraying the various factions as a part of a shifting political landscape and that's probably the strongest macro-level writing aspect of Online (other than singing the praises of Monkey Truth every now and then which tickles my lore addled brain).

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
tried Banished Cells 1 as a duo to get the feel of group dungeons before we buy an eso+ subscription.

woof that was kinda rough. made it as far as the Clannfear Handler and just couldn't deal with the tiny room. is there any fun writing in the dlc dungeons like frostvault or are we better off just sticking to zoned content?

e: it feels doable with another person or two, but i'm iffy about using the group finder because i don't want to get grouped with an rear end in a top hat.

Xinder fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 26, 2020

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Xinder posted:

tried Banished Cells 1 as a duo to get the feel of group dungeons before we buy an eso+ subscription.

woof that was kinda rough. made it as far as the Clannfear Handler and just couldn't deal with the tiny room. is there any fun writing in the dlc dungeons like frostvault or are we better off just sticking to zoned content?

e: it feels doable with another person or two, but i'm iffy about using the group finder because i don't want to get grouped with an rear end in a top hat.

Banished Cells is one of the Undaunted Pledges so they are a little harder by default I think.

As far as fun writing I can't tell as I just hit x to get through most all dialog as fast as possible,

And you are right about using dungeon finder. You will get someone who is an rear end in a top hat 90% of the time. They either will be total poo poo and not want to be on mic for communication and learn or they will be an elite rear end in a top hat that will be mad because your not level 810 and trail geared and don't know all the mechanics. But again they wont be in voice chat to help make it go smoother until the very end when they pop in to tell you how terrible you are.

You should join a couple player guilds. You can be in 5 at once and most Non-Trader guilds don't have fees or anything. You can then run content like that with people in the guilds. Just watch zone chat for people promoting casual guilds and then join one or two that have a couple hundred players. If you are on PS4 I can recommend a couple that I am in. If your on PC I am sure others can do the same.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 26, 2020

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Group finder is fine for normal mode dungeons. Theres none of them that are so difficult or complex you need voice communication or any serious coordination. I dont think theres any mechanics that cant be adequately explained in text if your teammate doesn't get it. The only kind of total dickhead you can get is the dps queueing as a tank, which you'll quickly identify and then you can kick and queue up again.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Deformed Church posted:

Group finder is fine for normal mode dungeons. Theres none of them that are so difficult or complex you need voice communication or any serious coordination. I dont think theres any mechanics that cant be adequately explained in text if your teammate doesn't get it. The only kind of total dickhead you can get is the dps queueing as a tank, which you'll quickly identify and then you can kick and queue up again.

This is what I really wanted to hear, thanks. I honestly felt like our only problem was lack of manpower and not misunderstanding mechanics. Two people just weren't enough to spread the damage out, especially in that tiny room with that many adds.

I'll give group finder a chance with normal mode dungeons at least. I've been enjoying the public dungeon experience of ephemeral player interaction, where you might occasionally run through a section with a stranger but you don't talk and usually split up after a couple rooms.

Trastion posted:

You should join a couple player guilds. You can be in 5 at once and most Non-Trader guilds don't have fees or anything. You can then run content like that with people in the guilds. Just watch zone chat for people promoting casual guilds and then join one or two that have a couple hundred players.

I'm probably going to have to join a guild or two, yeah. It just feels like a thing that requires me to actually interact with people and i want to limit that as much as possible lol

but hey maybe i'll meet some cool people. i'll just get over it

Xinder fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 26, 2020

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

In PC-NA I've had two bad group finder experiences out of like 50, and they weren't really about toxicity and more just one person queued up as tank or healer being awful at their role and not actually a good dps to make up for it and the rest of us also not being good enough to overcome that. Everyone's just there to get it done and mostly understands the random lottery that it is. Doing the story with group finder can be a bit annoying, though, and I can't imagine how long it would take if you queue up for a specific dungeon instead of random. Might be quicker if there's two of you and one is tank or healer.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Xinder posted:

This is what I really wanted to hear, thanks. I honestly felt like our only problem was lack of manpower and not misunderstanding mechanics. Two people just weren't enough to spread the damage out, especially in that tiny room with that many adds.

I'll give group finder a chance with normal mode dungeons at least. I've been enjoying the public dungeon experience of ephemeral player interaction, where you might occasionally run through a section with a stranger but you don't talk and usually split up after a couple rooms.

I'm probably going to have to join a guild or two, yeah. It just feels like a thing that requires me to actually interact with people and i want to limit that as much as possible lol

but hey maybe i'll meet some cool people. i'll just get over it

Most casual guild you wont have to interact at all unless you want to. People will post things in guild chat to give away for free. They will also post they are looking for tank/healer/dps for whatever they are running.

Bigger guilds will run events on certain days. One of mine does a fishing event where we group up and hit a zone and fish for an hour or so. They even give out 25k gold as a prize randomly to someone who attended. Sometimes they also give out stacks of bait.

We also have Delve nights and World Boss hunts where you do the same thing. Group up with a bunch of other players and hit a zone and go around and slaughter all the world bosses and/or delves.

Shard hunts were you hit all the shards in a zone. Easy way to get skill points.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

I love the scaling in content in this game, I got my girlfriend to make a character and I leveled up while running newbie content I had already completed

also I was pleased to discover that you can recall to a wayshrine from INSIDE a dungeon, that's a big improvement over Skyrim

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Yeah I don't even mind the gold cost. Going through some delves, that poo poo is a goddamn maze. Its nice to be able to get whatever thing and then just slowly fade away to safety giving the finger to whatever bosses' corpse as you leave.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

If you're in guilds you can teleport to a guild member who is online and it takes you to the nearest wayshrine for free.
If not you can teleport to any of your houses for free (you should have at least one of the free apartments) though it's an extra loading screen this way. The Vulkhel Guard apartment is right near a wayshrine, the Rimmen one is even better if you have that DLC.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Are the Hollowjack pages actually dropping from skulls? I've opened at least 5 gold skulls a day plus a pile of purples and I haven't gotten a page yet. And how many event writs do I need to do to get the hat? Is it based on tickets or individual writs?

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
LOL Scy :allears:

Also, the witch writs: They are per writ, not writ value. It was like 12 or 13 writs to get the hat last year, and 25 for the title (iirc) So you can check in your journal under achievements and then holiday for the specifics and progress. Also LOL if they decided to stop having Hollowjack motifs drop after years of them being instant deletion material due to them dropping all the time. I'll log in and see if I have some stashed in my guild bank and dump them in the goon bank.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

The Diddler posted:

Are the Hollowjack pages actually dropping from skulls? I've opened at least 5 gold skulls a day plus a pile of purples and I haven't gotten a page yet. And how many event writs do I need to do to get the hat? Is it based on tickets or individual writs?
I don't know if Dori found any or not, but I threw a set that had been taking up space into the guild bank.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

DoriDori240 posted:

Also, the witch writs: They are per writ, not writ value. It was like 12 or 13 writs to get the hat last year, and 25 for the title (iirc) So you can check in your journal under achievements and then holiday for the specifics and progress. Also LOL if they decided to stop having Hollowjack motifs drop after years of them being instant deletion material due to them dropping all the time. I'll log in and see if I have some stashed in my guild bank and dump them in the goon bank.

Is there a new hat this year?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

DoriDori240 posted:

Said it in chat but I'm amused that someone thought enough about my shitposting to justify wasting :10bux: on a troll AV. 'Tis a badge of honor it is :mmmhmm:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Scyantific posted:

Said it in chat but I'm amused that someone thought enough about my shitposting to justify wasting :10bux: on a troll AV. 'Tis a badge of honor it is :mmmhmm:

That's beautiful. :911:

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Subbed to do Summerset and loving it. Worst experience we had was someone running past us as we were casually making our way through a delve and chatting to kill the boss just before we got there, so we had to wait a weirdly long time for her to respawn before we could clear it. I feel like they usually respawn way faster but i was wandering into previous rooms to kill mobs just to pass time and it was def at least 3 or 4 minutes. First time i actually had a problem with them not being instanced.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

DoriDori240 posted:

So you can check in your journal under achievements and then holiday for the specifics and progress.

So this pointed me in the right direction, thanks. Apparently the Hollowjack pages aren't dropping from skulls, you need to buy the ticket box from the impresario and hope they drop from there. As a relatively new player that seems weird, but I'm not that into dressup yet so whatevs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Gotta keep the players playing through FOMO.