Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think it's interesting

Some sports/games have more variance due to random factors than others. Veteran star poker players place high in tournament after tournament and they're known for that; but occasionally someone goes way deep or even wins the main event because they're a combination of reasonably competent + a streak of luck, and get's a big name because of it. You get that in poker, but not so much in, say, the 100m dash, where you're not going to randomly beat usain bolt at an event because of variance.

Which is obvious if you think about wizard poker's structure, but if you're someone that happens to, it may feel weird. The human element in high level magic is interesting IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Framboise posted:

The question demands the reader to realize that WotC is bending their own rules, because there already exist flying vigilant creatures in azorius, selesnya, and orzhov colors, but none in dimir or golgari.
There are only 7 Azorius creatures with flying and vigilance, and only one with flying, vigilance and no other text.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

YggdrasilTM posted:

There are only 7 Azorius creatures with flying and vigilance, and only one with flying, vigilance and no other text.

Remind me how many are in Golgari.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

You might also notice all 3 of those color pairings share a color Golgari doesn't have.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I think it’s a reading comprehension thing. To get the question right, you have to recognize that they wouldn’t put that part about trying not to do multicolor creatures that could just be one of its colors in the question if it wasn’t relevant. If you don’t take that chunk of the question into account when answering it, that’s on you.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ariong posted:

I think it’s a reading comprehension thing. To get the question right, you have to recognize that they wouldn’t put that part about trying not to do multicolor creatures that could just be one of its colors in the question if it wasn’t relevant. If you don’t take that chunk of the question into account when answering it, that’s on you.

The test shouldn’t be rewarding reading comprehension over magic knowledge. It’s a bad question because it does not consider the purpose of the test, which is finding good magic designers not people good at taking tests.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It's the test's fault I got it wrong!!!

Some of you people must have been absolute nightmares to be in classes with during high school lmao. It's okay to get things wrong sometimes.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
the test was obviously right because all of their designers are complete idiots now

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Once a teacher was trying to teach us cardinal directions and their combinations, there was a map of the world up and she asked us which direction we would travel to get from Canada to Australia.

There were two answers to that question. The correct answer and the answer she expected.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Imagine if they actually printed a GB vigilance flier

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Corbeau posted:

Remind me how many are in Golgari.

Zero. If I can add something, there is only one creature with flying and vigilance in Orzhov (plus another one with flying and conditional vigilance) and only 2 in selesnya, and all of them have other abilities.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

My main takeaway from the Great Designer Search was that working as a Magic Card designer sounded awful and it was nice that I didn’t have to do it

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

imagine how many incomprehensible emails you'd get from maro if they're anything like how bad that question was

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The point of the question was reading comprehension + remember that while blue and white can have flying, vigilance creatures while green and and black are secondary in vigilance and flying respectively, while not having the other ability. I really don't understand the problem. It was just... basic logic skill?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

The point of the question was reading comprehension + remember that while blue and white can have flying, vigilance creatures while green and and black are secondary in vigilance and flying respectively, while not having the other ability. I really don't understand the problem. It was just... basic logic skill?

Quite a lot of reasons.

1) There has never been a GB flying vigilance creature
2) There have been quite a lot of WU flying vigilance creatures
3) The expression "we try to" does not actually mean "we do"
4) The rest exact wording of the question was also poor and left it up to interpretation how the prior expression was meant to be read

Given all that, the expectation that you were supposed to answer the question according to theoretical color pie nonsense hypotheticals instead of how the actual game has actually been made is not a great expectation.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I think the "we try to" thing really gets to the heart of it, it's a "ignore all outside knowledge and parse the test text very carefully" style question, but you can't parse it too carefully or you might get it wrong

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

evilweasel posted:

The test shouldn’t be rewarding reading comprehension over magic knowledge. It’s a bad question because it does not consider the purpose of the test, which is finding good magic designers not people good at taking tests.

literally_all_tests.txt

I'm basically agreeing with you, if that's not clear; tests are a deeply-flawed way to fairly discover someone's understanding or memory of a subject

Hover
Jun 14, 2003

Your post hits a tree.
The tree is an ent.
The tree is angry.

YggdrasilTM posted:

The point of the question was reading comprehension [...] I really don't understand the problem. It was just... basic logic skill?

This line of thought is really weird to me. Why would it be worth writing a question to test reading comprehension and logic puzzles that are irrespective of real-world card design? If it were worth it, wouldn't it be more effective to just have a generic reading comprehension and logic puzzle? Then at least we wouldn't rehashing a very old discussion about whether or not the answer to this question to find new MTG designers should be decided by practical MTG knowledge.

e:

evilweasel posted:

Yeah. That.

Don't we learn reading comprehension in elementary school? Isn't it kind of insulting to be testing for that sort of thing?

Hover fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 25, 2020

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Clearly not I mean we’re talking about this for the umpteenth time now

Having problem solving skills and reading comprehension will probably help in game design!!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hover posted:

This line of thought is really weird to me. Why would it be worth writing a question to test reading comprehension and logic puzzles that are irrespective of real-world card design? If it were worth it, wouldn't it be more effective to just have a generic reading comprehension and logic puzzle? Then at least we wouldn't rehashing a very old discussion about whether or not the answer to this question to find new MTG designers should be decided by practical MTG knowledge.

yea everyone understands that the point of the question is to be a logic trap, but the correct answer is the one that everyone knows in their heart of hearts to be true, which also happens to be the one that accurately reflects reality

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Hover posted:

I think this is a pretty dumb discussion, but it's nice to see that you had to cut in the quote the part that WAS practical MTG knowledge to prove your point.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Hover posted:

Don't we learn reading comprehension in elementary school? Isn't it kind of insulting to be testing for that sort of thing?

Considering how many people got it wrong, apparently not.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I was waxing poetic over old InQuest magazines over in the Industry thread and was told someone was archiving old magazines here- is there an InQuest scanning project?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Siege Rhino is a mono-black card.

The 3-color sets are really bad about this. Abomination of Gudul does things in a mono-blue way. Rhox War Monk could be mono-white and I don't know how many people would even notice.

if you wanna get wild about multi-color cards not earning it, Fusion Elemental as a vanilla creature has 5 colors adding nothing to make it feel 5 colors.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

pointsofdata posted:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Maybe the bigger toughness is from white? I know black cards frequently have bigger powers, is that true for toughness?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Siege Rhino is a mono-black card.

The 3-color sets are really bad about this. Abomination of Gudul does things in a mono-blue way. Rhox War Monk could be mono-white and I don't know how many people would even notice.

if you wanna get wild about multi-color cards not earning it, Fusion Elemental as a vanilla creature has 5 colors adding nothing to make it feel 5 colors.

It's a 8/8 for 5 with no downside, something that was unheard of at the time. Dominaria was the first set with a creature of equal or greater stats and equal or lesser cmc, but it was legendary. M19 had a 10/10 for 5 in monogreen with no downside whatsoever.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

The test cards are great, I still wanna play impatient iguana in a power cube but I’m not sure how strong it would be

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Nehru the Damaja posted:

https://mtgmelee.com/Decklist/View/58997

This went 6-0 in one of the big Week of Wings events.

Really? First impression was that it's running to many non-human creatures to use Kudro, and that's been borne out by the games I've played so far.

Chamale posted:

Here's the list that got me into Diamond:

4 Archpriest of Iona
3 Giant Killer
1 Drannith Magistrate
4 Luminarch Aspirant
4 Seasoned Hallowblade
4 Acquisitions Expert
4 Dire Tactircs
2 Sanctuary Lockdown
2 Blackbloom Rogue
3 General Kudro of Drannith
2 Elspeth, Sun's Nemesis
1 Legion Angel
3 Tazri, Beacon of Unity
1 Plains
2 Swamp
4 Brightclimb Pathway
4 Temple of Silence
4 Clearwater Pathway
4 Needleverge Pathway
4 Branchloft Pathway

Sideboard:
3 Legion Angel
1 Baneslayer Angel
3 Duress
2 Containment Priest
2 Disenchant
2 Drannith Magistrate
2 Witch's Vengeance

Don't craft the Pathways (except Brightclimb) if you don't already have them, they provide a marginal benefit in activating Tazri's ability.

This seems okay, opening Tezri's ability and getting some value from Party is fun. I think I'm going to swap in Kitesail Freebooter for Acquisition Expert though.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

pointsofdata posted:

That will be in the next un-set, you know it, maro knows, everyone knows it, but we won't see it for 15 years and maro will need to wheeze out to explain the joke

fake edit: forgot about the test joke cards, lol

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My best friend went to this elitist nerdcore High School called Masterman in Philly and was a very puzzle minded pothead. When his class took the SATs, there were 3 students with perfect scores. The Valedictorian, the Salutatorian, and ranked 32nd or of his class of 115 students was my man. He told me the SATs are just the ultimate terminus of American WASP centric educational ideologies and you are only going to be rewarded for how to take these exams and not actually for internalizing the information. He often lamented the cool things he must have forgotten in order to master the SAT prep courses his mom made him go through.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Cool story, bro.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the test cards should have been released as a standard-legal time spiral-ish set. Well, actually that's a horrible idea, but it would have been really funny

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Both sides in the argument know that the rule says the card has to be BG. The disagreement is over whether the question is asking "can you apply this rule?" or "can you recognise when a rule should be broken?"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

lol, I wonder how many of the people who saw one of those got the joke. must be one of the most niche ones out of the lot.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

pointsofdata posted:

lol, I wonder how many of the people who saw one of those got the joke. must be one of the most niche ones out of the lot.

Yeah I wonder too. Note the card underneath is something UW lol.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Not a commander player, but I love the flavour text.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Our son, our boy. No!

Ghost of Ramirez DePietro
2U
Legendary Creature - Pirate Spirit
Ghost of Ramirez DePietro can't be blocked by creatures with toughness 3 or greater.

Whenever it deals combat damage to a player, choose up to one card in any graveyard that has been discarded or milled this turn. Put that card into its owner's hand.

Partner

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

"Whada we do with the ghost of our incredibly flamboyant pirate?"

"Ehhh, make 'im blue."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
yeah kinda weird how coming back from the dead makes you lose the black mana