Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, swearing your body and soul to a literal demonic cult of interdimensional super-hedonists probably isn't something that you should expect to come with an escape clause, even if they're about as non-confrontational about it as it gets. They see themselves as a monastic order (thus 'cenobites') and a sacred oath is a sacred oath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Like all long running series though the Cenobites get flanderized from amoral pleasure demons to malignant villains.

Doctor Derfux
Oct 25, 2020

Ebbder posted:

This is the SCP foundation website:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/

It's made up of user submitted stories about weird objects and creatures that are all kept at the a fictional facility called the SCP foundation. Most of the stories are written in a style that presents the stories as case files pertaining to the different things kept at the SCP facility.

I believe the comparison started because of how each of the teasers focused on people in a facility learning about seemingly unconnected objects that have a kind of eerie twist on them.

There was a game about it called scp containment breach

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

al-azad posted:

Like all long running series though the Cenobites get flanderized from amoral pleasure demons to malignant villains.

yeah hellraiser 3 is basically just "oh pinhead is freddy now"

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I think at this point most of the Hellraiser movies weren't even planned as Hellraiser movies, but just have that in the title so they sell better (and also to retain the rights).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Blockhouse posted:

yeah hellraiser 3 is basically just "oh pinhead is freddy now"

And yet it honestly works, simply because Doug Bradley chewing scenery is a joy to watch and ho gently caress that movie gives him a lot of scenery to chew

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Can't believe there wasn't a real Hellworld video game

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Can't believe there wasn't a real Hellworld

2020 started 10 months ago.

al-azad posted:

Something interesting in addition to what others mentioned here, they started making Hellraiser 2 almost as soon as Hellraiser 1 dropped and became very successful. Which is why Julia is the big bad in it and has an off screen/falling down a void sort of death - Julia was to be the recurring villain if they made a third one. But by the time it came out Pinhead was already the iconic face of Hellraiser on all the ads and imagery and so on. So "hey, Pinhead is Freddy now" in Hellraiser 3 was a very deliberate decision on the producers' part to cash in on that quickly. And it sort of almost still works but god drat that movie absolutely sucks rear end any time Doug Bradley isn't on screen.

Then the fourth one (with the in space part) was going to be a little more ambitious but the director left pretty early on and it ended up being an Alan Smithee deal since it was pretty far from what I think anyone directing it had wanted to do. There's a bootleg cut of it that's a little closer to what was intended and honestly it's still not great but you can see what they were going for and the potential if it wasn't so heavily meddled with from the start.

All of the ones after that were whatever cheap horror scripts they had lying around getting changed slightly to incorporate Pinhead in them like Hellworld having the computer game imagery be Hellraiser themed and so on. I get them mixed up but one or two of them are decent enough but in general stay far far far away. The last two were meant to be Hellraiser movies from the get go but all of them are super cheap, "we're just doing this because the deadling where we might lose the rights is happening" stuff and that does show in all of them to an extent.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 26, 2020

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Cyberqueen is good, to hell with y'all. The horror was, to my memory, the loss of agency and disjointed horror of the protagonist's rapidly-cyberneticizing body being trained to do as the Shodamn pleased by interfacing directly with the pleasure center of the brain. I didn't see it as The Author Gettin' Off To Pissing On Command. But I'll concede the point that I haven't played it for nearly a year. :shobon:

Bogart fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 26, 2020

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm sure it has been said before, but I've been playing World of Horror and it's actually pretty good. It's very difficult and requires an unfortunate level of trial and error or wiki scraping to figure out some of the basic mechanics, but stylistically it's very impressive.

JeffTheAlcoholic posted:

There was a game about it called scp containment breach

Replying to the very first page in a 600 page thread, I like ur style

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I've always wanted to know what Junji Ito would do with Hellraiser.

Doctor Derfux
Oct 25, 2020

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm sure it has been said before, but I've been playing World of Horror and it's actually pretty good. It's very difficult and requires an unfortunate level of trial and error or wiki scraping to figure out some of the basic mechanics, but stylistically it's very impressive.

Replying to the very first page in a 600 page thread, I like ur style

Tanks

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Control is arguably the best scp game

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

CuddleCryptid posted:

I love World of Horror and play through a standard game probably once a week at least.

But man there are some bad systems in there.
Combat especially is a mess. Spells are universally bad, guns basically don't exist, and the banishment system just plain doesn't work by hard numbers.

Also the stat/inventory checks have some weird requirements that you rarely meet except in the last mystery.

I hope they iron some things out by the release date. But even if they don't it's still a pretty great game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Control is arguably the best scp game

Control was a great game when it was being a SCP game and a pretty blah game when it was being itself tbh

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Manager Hoyden posted:

I love World of Horror and play through a standard game probably once a week at least.

Combat especially is a mess. Spells are universally bad, guns basically don't exist, and the banishment system just plain doesn't work by hard numbers.

Also the stat/inventory checks have some weird requirements that you rarely meet except in the last mystery.

I hope they iron some things out by the release date. But even if they don't it's still a pretty great game.

Guns are very rare- off the top of my head the only ways you'd get them would be stealing one from the dead cop in the 410 Billion event, as a drop from the Cultist Sniper, or by playing the hidden unlockable character, Moriko. Even if you have a gun, you won't use it often- they do a bunch of damage but ammo is scarce and any time you fire a gun you get a debuff that lasts until the current mystery ends that makes all your combat actions slower.

(Also, it's Japan in 198X. Guns should be very rare.)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Control was a great game when it was being a SCP game and a pretty blah game when it was being itself tbh

Are Dynamite and the Ashtray Maze SCP or itself? Because those were great.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Ashtray Maze is conceptually a big standard spc thing

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The Alan Wake tie in was cool.

But i stopped after that. Game was dragging a little bit.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Manager Hoyden posted:

To an outside observer who has only glanced at a couple streams, World of Horror looks like it's wrestling with itself.

Sometimes you get maximum style when it has you physically control a door to check for monsters outside cool storytelling :aaa:

Other times the reason you lost stamina is "Because you didn't bring a flashlight when helping someone move their sofa, yes, that is a thing in the horror game." :geno:

I think I remember seeing a guy use a move listing "Ignore injuries" get injuries anyways by the telegraphed attack they were preparing for, and I still have no idea if that was EA bugs, or working as intended (The wiki claims bloat is a treatable minor injury, at least).

Watching World Of Horror was 3/4 crazy horror poo poo and 1/4 "...Okay is that deliberate gameplay jank or accidental gameplay jank?"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 26, 2020

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The biggest thing with WoH is that it's a roguelike implementation of Arkham Horror in Junji Ito clothes first and foremost.

Meanwhile, Fanatical has Blood for $1!

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Outside of reading horror snippets WOH is 90% just literally memorize the outcome of all the events so you can plot out a path for maximum resource gain. As a game game it's terrible. As a stylish game it's decent...at times.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

pedro0930 posted:

Outside of reading horror snippets WOH is 90% just literally memorize the outcome of all the events so you can plot out a path for maximum resource gain. As a game game it's terrible. As a stylish game it's decent...at times.
That's really the problem with it, yeah. It's basically a gimmick CYOA game trying to pretend it's an RPG, but it just doesn't pull it off very well. It's neat and stylish, but you can get everything out of watching it be played that you could get out of actually playing it yourself.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Cardiovorax posted:

That's really the problem with it, yeah. It's basically a gimmick CYOA game trying to pretend it's an RPG, but it just doesn't pull it off very well. It's neat and stylish, but you can get everything out of watching it be played that you could get out of actually playing it yourself.

It's a by design a board game more than anything and for that it works great.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

It's a by design a board game more than anything and for that it works great.
Fair enough, but it doesn't feel like any board game I've ever played, so I simply compared it to the type of game that I think it most resembles.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I wish there was more randomization for certain things. Especially the side objectives. Like those give the same result no matter what so after you do the side objective for the mermaid one for example, and see that its a punishment that just gives you -2 sanity, youll never ever do it again. Its dumb.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Cardiovorax posted:

Fair enough, but it doesn't feel like any board game I've ever played, so I simply compared it to the type of game that I think it most resembles.

It's riffing on Arkham Horror specifically.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

SkeletonHero posted:

It's riffing on Arkham Horror specifically.
Never played that myself, I'm afraid, but if that's what the game is like then I might be missing out. Playing World of Horror with friends and multiple characters would probably be way more fun.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Arkham Horror isn’t very good for similar reasons lol but nearly every aspect of the game is randomized so you can’t game the system by memorizing the scenarios.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

al-azad posted:

Arkham Horror isn’t very good for similar reasons lol but nearly every aspect of the game is randomized so you can’t game the system by memorizing the scenarios.

The third edition is much better than the 2nd. But yeah it's very much got a giant * next to the word Fun

It's fun in the sense of watching it just kick you in the dick repeatedly is hilarious. It's unfun because Jesus Christ there isn't a table big enough to hold it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Eldritch Horror did better by limiting the amount of stuff that was in play based on the Great Old One you're facing. Still has issues and takes far too long to play, but it has its place.

Anyway, horror games...I was wondering, from that Spooky Fishing game jam that happened a little while ago, did any actually fun games (you know, with actual game mechanics and such) come out of it? I've watched maybe half a dozen playthroughs from games in it and all the games are really just 'experiences', where the only purpose of doing anything in the game is because the plot demands it...if that makes sense.

I want a spooky fishing game, not a spooky game that is about fishing, know what I mean?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Morpheus posted:

Anyway, horror games...I was wondering, from that Spooky Fishing game jam that happened a little while ago, did any actually fun games (you know, with actual game mechanics and such) come out of it? I've watched maybe half a dozen playthroughs from games in it and all the games are really just 'experiences', where the only purpose of doing anything in the game is because the plot demands it...if that makes sense.

I want a spooky fishing game, not a spooky game that is about fishing, know what I mean?

I played most of them and no, they are not very fun as far as raw gameplay goes. I was kind of looking for Super Black Bass (which has always struck me as a little spooky for some reason) but in an intentionally creepy environment with some horror hazards.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I want spooky Itoi's Fishing, cartoon crayon drawings of funny animals and bad stretched N64 graphics.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Manager Hoyden posted:

I played most of them and no, they are not very fun as far as raw gameplay goes. I was kind of looking for Super Black Bass (which has always struck me as a little spooky for some reason) but in an intentionally creepy environment with some horror hazards.

Super Black Sabbass.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Just wrapped up Nameless Game on the DS, which is about a cursed game that will kill you in 7 days. I overall enjoyed it, though the actual gameplay was pretty weak, being comprised mostly of speed walking away from ghosts. The actual cursed RPG bits were neat, but much smaller than I’d hoped. The 3D graphics are pretty impressive for a DS game, and the audio design is really good. The fan translation is also top tier, and very professional. The game itself is a quick 3-4 hours, so I’d say it’s worth a look if you’re of 8 bit RPGs and Japanese ghost stories.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Layers of fear 2 is crap. I got it free on the epic store and it's just a haunted house game of walking through linear corridors and ~~spooky~~ thing happens. Apart from it's not spooky.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Thought so as well. It's really kind of crappy.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
It really is kind of impressive how unscary it was.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Real disappointed by Ethan Carter. In the history of the walking sim microgenre I can definitely see how it’s a great escalation in 2014, and the graphics and (environmental) sound design are better than some AAA games even six years later, but it’s still the era of using a twist as a crutch which legitimately ruins a strong narrative design of “you’re a paranormal investigator that can see ghosts.”

Edith Finch stole Ethan Carter’s lunch money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I would probably be a lot harder on its twist now than I was when I first played it after having played another 15 narratively driven indie games with the exact same ending. But it was cool back then.