Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

cubicle gangster posted:

It's https://www.manictime.com/
I think I got onto it from a reccomendation in this very thread a few years ago.
It's a lifesaver for me - on any given day I might dip into a proposal for multiple new jobs, spend an hour here and there helping on other things or planning, then maybe if I'm lucky a couple hours production on an active job. As someone who hates manually doing timesheets, I can look back in the last 2 weeks for every single time I had gmail open and was either writing or reading an email with the subject line 'x' and automatically tag it all to a job. Means I can basically ignore tracking time until after we know we can bill for an item and I can scrape up what I need for accurate info, instead of documenting everything all the time just in case.

I have it but I let the maintenance lapse after the first year and was wondering if it would be worth reupping- do they do meaningful updates to the software?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Daaamn, really love that piece. Agreed about the column on the right, but it's still a great image.

What did you use for the ivy and the rubble?

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

cubicle gangster posted:

I think I was too in love with how the ivy looked backlit like that, staring at the image at 200% zoom.
My boss at DBOX has said that's my main weakness too - allowing the overall impression of an image to be sacrificed for the sake of details hardly anyone will see. I should make time to be aware of that.

This is exactly my problem, so lately I've been sort of just leaning into it and going full macro bonkers with my personal stuff. It's sort of forcing me to take that granularity I really get lost in and use it to guide overall impression. Articulating essence through physicality, instead of simulating physicality through essence, like I'm used to. It's really making me take a step back and refamiliarize myself with fundamentals in a way I haven't been able to be self-critical about in years.

cubicle gangster posted:

I'm calling this done, I've entered it as it is.

This is the image it was based on - an early illustration Hugh Ferriss did in 1943 for Trinity portland cement.

Wonderful submission, btw! I think your subject matter really captures a lot of that grandiose mystery->survey->discovery vibe I get from Ferriss.

Love the use of tyflow for the floor; was that destruction setup as easy to play with as it looks from the brief glimpse we got?

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 19, 2020

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Gearman posted:

What did you use for the ivy and the rubble?

I used gwivy because I knew I already had it installed, however the guy who made it took it down and I had to switch back to max 2016 to use it. When looking for a cheat sheet reminder of what all the parameters do, I found this:
http://www.evvisual.com/ivy/
which is a re-write based on the original code, and maintained. so i'd use this one.
The rubble is a mix of megascans piles and chunks of geometry that were first generated with tyflow, then scaled and scattered.

Handiklap posted:

Wonderful submission, btw! I think your subject matter really captures a lot of that grandiose mystery->survey->discovery vibe I get from Ferriss.

Love the use of tyflow for the floor; was that destruction setup as easy to play with as it looks from the brief glimpse we got?

Thanks! yeah it was important for me to capture the same feeling you get from looking at his work, but in a totally new style.

The whole timelapse is unedited - one screenshot saved every 60 seconds. so yeah, it was! I'm already familiar with how tyflow wants you to work with it from playing around with it, but I hadn't done that kind of setup before. It handled it very well, surprised me how easily I got the results I wanted too. spawn particles, make them huge heavy objects, make them all move in different directions, drop them on the floor. fracture the floor, turn physx on, and tweak!
Genuinely love tyflow, best thing to happen to max since... idk, everything else was more gradual? I don't think max has ever had a set of tools so revolutionary. I think many people still think of it as a dynamics tool, but the number of modeling based tools it has too shouldn't be slept on - it's got good booleans, remeshers, conform tools, super fast slicers and a whole bunch of other modifiers too.
This is actually a pretty good video to watch - Patrick vogel showing mike golden some tricks and things you can do with tyflow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SJ1e3Wmj5I
They're all quite simple things that are useful for still images too - creating welds, tying knots. Since this was recorded the cloth tools have had a total overhaul too.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for that tyflow material

I've been using it for booleaning and slicing multi million poly decimated zbrush sculpts for 3d printing, they're very solid tools

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cubicle gangster posted:

I'm calling this done, I've entered it as it is.

This is the image it was based on - an early illustration Hugh Ferriss did in 1943 for Trinity portland cement.

And some crops - the final image was rendered at 9k high because I guess I cant make small images anymore

The time tracking software I use automatically takes screenshots for reference purposes, but it means I got a free timelapse out of it:
https://vimeo.com/469522959

Hey I think I saw this on insta or reddit or something

Good fuckin poo poo brother!!!!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I hope it was instagram, I didn't post it on reddit!
thank you man, it's much appreciated :)

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
anybody else often feel overwhelmed during the reference-gathering portion of a project?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kanine posted:

anybody else often feel overwhelmed during the reference-gathering portion of a project?

I like it, but I've been mostly sculpting animals so the reference is pretty targeted and I try and learn about about the species which is fun

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I'm experimenting with ways to render things like rocket plumes and space explosions (general theme: gas in vacuum) in a fast enough way in Blender. The gas sim really doesn't want to behave as if it's in vacuum - there's some inbuilt assumption of atmosphere I cannot work around, which is annoying.

Currently I'm playing around with particles rendered as volumetric objects. What's that? Eevee can only render volumetrics as cubes? No matter. :jeb:

https://i.imgur.com/63nPLo7.mp4

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Any fluid sim is based on Navier-stokes and assumes atmospheric pressure, so yeah, you'll have to cheat it.
Using a particle sim and converting it to volumes is most likely the better solution.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Any fluid sim is based on Navier-stokes and assumes atmospheric pressure, so yeah, you'll have to cheat it.
Using a particle sim and converting it to volumes is most likely the better solution.
Makes sense about the fluid sims. I know little about fluid physics, but the lack of an atmosphere setting in seemingly every fluid sim is conspicuous enough that I figured it might be something inherent to the model.

I thought about turning particles to a volume, but couldn't find a way to do it. Blender supports creating volumes from OpenVDB datasets (and in 2.91, meshes), but I didn't find any way to turn a particle sim into one.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I don't really know Blender, so can't really help (Houdini guy here). Turn particles into geo then volumes?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I could do that, and it would work for stills, but I don't see how it would work for animations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

You can transfer velocity and density from the particles to the geo and then to the volumes, no?.
https://www.blendernation.com/2020/10/03/new-mesh-to-volume-modifier/
Again, I only know how I would do it in Houdini, where it's very easy to do.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

ImplicitAssembler posted:

You can transfer velocity and density from the particles to the geo and then to the volumes, no?.
https://www.blendernation.com/2020/10/03/new-mesh-to-volume-modifier/
Again, I only know how I would do it in Houdini, where it's very easy to do.
Not through the UI, I don't think, but I bet I could write a script to do that. Might be worth trying, though it could be inefficient.

I was looking at OpenVDB and it has all kinds of incredibly useful features that just aren't currently implemented in Blender. Like turning particle systems into volumes.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Probably a bit of a long shot, but does anyone have any relatively decent automotive mesh models they would be willing to share?

I’ve been an Alias designer for the past 10 years and always worked within OEMs. As a result I don’t have a portfolio as such as everything is NDAd up/never allowed to leave studios/confidential. With it looking like I’m going to need to leave the UK for my next position I was pretty surprised a packed CV isn’t good enough. So I’m looking to find some assets I can treat as scan data and make a nice A class NURBs model.

It’s crazy to me I’m going to have to spend weeks of my time generating things I’ve done professionally for the last decade. Weird feeling.

E: in the spirit of submitting stuff. Latest project. Alias > vred > ps

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 26, 2020

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Here's a personal thing I started over the weekend. Probably gonna end up either a cover or artwork for my electronic music project YOUNG JAGUAR.

Pretty basic overall; took a 3d scanned fox skull, retopo'd it, unwrapped/painted in Painter (first time using painter autounwrap, was 10x better than expected lol), made some curves in Blender which I then sculpted and procedurally shaded, used ivygen for vines, added world volumetrics for fog, a smoke sim with procedural density for up close fog variation, lit and rendered in eevee.

Not really sure where to take it from here... hitting that personal project roadblock like always!
But I'm decently happy with the results so far, it's currently at "album cover" quality level lol, though I'd like to push it further if I can figure out how. It's already feeling pretty "blocked out", filling the empty space would make it too busy imo, so it's a matter of somehow pushing the profiles or materials more.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Gotta love how these new sports cars drive them selves at high speeds!

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYgqtHFuX60

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I made a nodevember thread for anyone interested in procedural stuff https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946165

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Hey does anyone use Mudbox anymore? I never see anyone talk about it or post work made in it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Listerine posted:

Hey does anyone use Mudbox anymore? I never see anyone talk about it or post work made in it.

I think once Autodesk ate it, that was it. It was/is bundled with Maya so it might get some tertiary use but prob not much anymore.

Funfact I went to grad school with one of the founders who is an ultra-fundie. Like "babies that die before getting baptized are burning in hell" fundie. As in he literally told me that. Super talented artist, but drat.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

I think once Autodesk ate it, that was it. It was/is bundled with Maya so it might get some tertiary use but prob not much anymore.

Funfact I went to grad school with one of the founders who is an ultra-fundie. Like "babies that die before getting baptized are burning in hell" fundie. As in he literally told me that. Super talented artist, but drat.

Reminds me of when 3dcoat first came out and the EULA had something in it about not making anything sacrilegious with the software.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Just a reminder that the Traveling CCircus Showcase of Wonders Show will be departing CC soon for its whirlwind adventure around the forums. Share your art, writing, animations, scrawlings, or whatever else you're proud of with the rest of the forums and see what goons from other subfora are up to!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

EoinCannon posted:

Reminds me of when 3dcoat first came out and the EULA had something in it about not making anything sacrilegious with the software.

They still have this and I've heard that they'll contact people who make naughty stuff with it.

Apr 7, 2019

Cloth sim hover state in the browser. Slightly cheating with this one by doing the cloth sim in Houdini first and then baking the vertex position data to a texture.

https://i.imgur.com/pw9ZhuW.gifv

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

500 posted:

Cloth sim hover state in the browser. Slightly cheating with this one by doing the cloth sim in Houdini first and then baking the vertex position data to a texture.

That's awesome, I don't really understand what I'm looking at but it looks pretty

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

500 posted:

this is amazing... can you walk me through it? Feel like it's something we could play around at the agency work at.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
yeah i'd love to know a bit more about the process for getting animated 3d into a browser, it's cool.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
You using three.js or a framework built on it? Looks sweet, I've been seeing more WebGL based physics both rigid and soft body which is great (I know you said this is baked). Can I check out more of your work? WebXR is definitely going to be a massive space once more competition and development comes out with more accessible VR/AR/XR platforms. BTW 500 are you looking for side work still? Cryptoart scene is booming and might be a good opportunity for you. I've been working on a few pieces to mint on marketplaces but if you want to know more I can give you a run down of NFTs/cryptoart.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 4, 2020

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Sounds like a baked Vector-Displacement map. (ie, rgb/xyz displacement instead of purely height based. Pretty sure Zbrush supports a form of them?)
The process of making one, and using it in browser I'm uncertain about. (Not familiar with houdini, don't know how it's being rendered in browser.)
But I imagine there are guides and etc online on how to do the actual baking. And then you might do it either as a flipbook/sequence, to get the steps required.

But a rendering engine like BabylonJS could display something like that fairly easily, since it supports morphs natively.
(Meaning you could do a handful of morphs, or a morph-flipbook to get an animation. I know in maya there are simple scripts to bake dynamics/cloth/etc to a simple blendshape/morph flipbook animation.)
https://www.babylonjs.com/

e: As ceebee mentions over, BabylonJS is another platform that can handle WebXR stuff.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah that's what we mostly call a normal map.

Gonna check out Babylon... I like that it's got a node based shader editor. Nice to see that in web form (since most of us are familiar with node based editing in the traditional CG world).

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Yeah that's what we mostly call a normal map.

What? No. Normal maps don't affect the actual geometry.
Displacement maps do, by actually displacing the verts.
I can understand the mixup since both rely on rgb to store 3 channels worth of
vector data, but their usecases are notably different.

Granted, 500's example could be handled by a normal 1-directional displacement sequence as well.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SubNat posted:

What? No. Normal maps don't affect the actual geometry.
Displacement maps do, by actually displacing the verts.
I can understand the mixup since both rely on rgb to store 3 channels worth of data, but their usecases are notably different.

Granted, 500's example could be handled by a normal 1-directional displacement sequence as well.

No I know that. I was under the impression that he was using a normal map exported from houdini to drive displacement mapping.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

BonoMan posted:

No I know that. I was under the impression that he was using a normal map to drive displacement mapping.

Sorry, by the reply I assumed you were mixing it up due to the 'what we mostly call'.
Looking at it a bit more closely, there's no horizontal or vertical movement, so it could just be normal 1 directional displacement.

But I guess we'll know for sure once 500 explains what foul sorcery they're playing with.

Anyhow yeah, BJS seems kind of interesting, and I feel everything should have robust node-based editors as standard.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SubNat posted:

Sorry, by the reply I assumed you were mixing it up due to the 'what we mostly call'.

Yeah sorry there was a lot of assumptions in there. Back in my day we just used normal map to differentiate from a bump map since we used normal maps (often converted) for displacement and traditional non deforming normal mapping. We were just lazy with our language.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 4, 2020

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

mutata posted:

They still have this and I've heard that they'll contact people who make naughty stuff with it.

So ridiculous. One of the reasons I didn't even bother with the software. When will people learn to keep their politics and / or opinions out of business matters?

I saw Marc Brunet make some cool stuff with 3d Coat but that was a few years ago and I haven't seen much about it since. The retopo stuff was one of the main cool features but I hear Pixologic hired the same guy for the Zremesher tool who worked on 3d Coat so... that kind of explains that.

Apr 7, 2019

Wow thanks guys! I made a short post on how to get started with 3D on the web a while back, but I can go into more detail about this specific effect.

I personally used a framework developed by the studio I work for, but I did that out of convenience more than anything. You could get the same result using Three.js or Babylon (assuming Babylon lets you make your own shaders).

For the actual effect, I used a couple of flipbook textures: one for the vertex position, and one for the normal. If I did this on an actual job for work, I'd probably encode the displacement data into the alpha channel of a normal map or something, but since I was just screwing around at home I used two separate textures for this.

Basically how it works is each vertex gets its own pixel on the texture. And when it looks up that pixel, it gets either position data or normal data depending on which texture it's reading from. I then pass the shader a value (known as a 'uniform') that tells it which frame of the animation to read, so by changing that value from 0 to 1 I can scrub through the animation. Then it's just a matter of tweaking the tweens and stuff until it looks nice.

You might be thinking "why didn't you just use displacement data instead of position values" and the answer is that I originally wrote this exporter so I could do instanced characters and birds and stuff and wanted to stress test it with something more complex. There actually is side-to-side movement of the vertices, I guess it's just too subtle to tell.

For anyone interested in doing this themselves, Houdini has existing tools for exporting vertex animations for Unity/Unreal that might be useful to look at. I ended up writing my own instead of using this one, but it still gave me some clues.

Let me know if I left out any interesting parts and I can fill you in a bit better.

ceebee posted:

Can I check out more of your work? WebXR is definitely going to be a massive space once more competition and development comes out with more accessible VR/AR/XR platforms. BTW 500 are you looking for side work still? Cryptoart scene is booming and might be a good opportunity for you. I've been working on a few pieces to mint on marketplaces but if you want to know more I can give you a run down of NFTs/cryptoart.
I post experiments to my twitter. That's really the only place I put stuff besides this thread. There's not much there currently but I'm sharing more all the time.

I don't actually know what crypto art is. I see people tweet about it sometimes but I haven't looked into it at all yet. I'd definitely be interested in a run down of what it is and how people make money from it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Listerine posted:

everyone i know who was using mudbox switched over to blender 2.8 when it dropped