Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

WorkOutDoors is fantastic too.

It really is, I can't get enough of this app. Having a map track your route as you go is so good. And even more stats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zwille posted:

Wait, it does the oxygen saturation thing in the background? I thought you had to do that deliberately like the EKG. Neat.

You can do it manually, but it looks like it's on a 2 hour schedule.

Also, I've tested SpO2 for about week against the meter I got that was recommended to my by a cardio rehab nurse. I also tested it against my primary care physician's meter just yesterday. I can confirm that as long as you have the band snug it is very accurate. Or at least as accurate as other portable meters.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 18, 2020

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

marktheando posted:

It really is, I can't get enough of this app. Having a map track your route as you go is so good. And even more stats!
Yeah map and stats are fun, I use it mainly for snowboarding and electric board. It’s how I know my board failed (yay Onewheel nosedives) and I ate it at about 15mph :downs:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

marktheando posted:

Holy balls that does look good! How long does it last on a fully charged watch?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Zwille posted:

Holy balls that does look good! How long does it last on a fully charged watch?

Not noticed a difference really, maybe slightly more battery hungry than the default app? My S3 still lasts me all day for a couple hours of tracked exercise daily, mostly walking.

I also really appreciate that it is an app you buy (cheaply) rather than being a bullshit subscription like so many fitness apps.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No nonsense quality apps like that are a rarity these days.

All the big ones seem fixated on locking you in to their service and hyping up the social features.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

How long does the AW6 last practically nowadays? Since I'm hopping over to an iPhone 12 now, there's interest in one. Can it last at least 24 hours when I disable AOD and ancillary things like GPS and Wifi? I'd like to wear it 23/7 from shower to shower. --edit: And use it as vibration alarm clock.

A day. Put on in morning and charge at night.

I only run out of battery if I’m swimming, because it constantly disconnects and tries to reconnect in the water. Otherwise, it’ll last mostly all day.

Don’t disable anything. You don’t gain much by disabling AOD anyway. The main purpose of the watch is to have everything on. If you’re disabling stuff, just get a Garmin then. It defeats the whole purpose of all the AW features.

That said, battery is my #1 complaint about the AW. I feel like it should last multiple days like a Garmin. It’s pretty silly it can’t go 2 full days with workouts at this point 6 years later or whatever.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 18, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Don’t disable anything. You don’t gain much my disabling AOD anyway. The main purpose of the watch is to have everything on. If you’re disabling stuff, just get a Garmin then. It defeats the whole purpose of all the AW features.
I have a Galaxy Watch right now, and when I disable things like Wifi and GPS, it'll funnel everything over the phone via Bluetooth. Functionality is kept up, so long the phone is there, which is typically is. But saves quite some battery. Doesn't the AW do similar?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Combat Pretzel posted:

I have a Galaxy Watch right now, and when I disable things like Wifi and GPS, it'll funnel everything over the phone via Bluetooth. Functionality is kept up, so long the phone is there, which is typically is. But saves quite some battery. Doesn't the AW do similar?

Apple watch does that automatically. No need to micromanage it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Combat Pretzel posted:

As long as your watch lasts the entire day who cares?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
It’s too bad the vo2 max calculation can’t be used on any workout. Doesn’t record if I’m on a stationary bike but if I’m running or walking it’s on.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sonatinas posted:

It’s too bad the vo2 max calculation can’t be used on any workout. Doesn’t record if I’m on a stationary bike but if I’m running or walking it’s on.

It needs GPS.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Hmm it does record my location on fitness app but if it requires movement from a to b that stinks

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It requires movement.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
My last VO2 was in August. I've done outside workouts since then but it can't seem to get an updated reading.

This is across my 3 and 6.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It only does a calc based on an outdoor cycle, outdoor run, or outdoor walk workout that's >20 mins.

If it's not calculating it while doing one of those for 20 minutes then something is janky.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I had a 50 min walk on Saturday and Sunday. Those are just my most recent. :iiam:

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I cycle over 30 minutes twice a day and it’s never did VO2.

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007
is the stock price complication working for anyone? stopped when I upgraded to latest os...

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Before there was the apple watch, there was the wrist mac!

https://archive.org/details/TNM_WristMac_digital_watch_talks_to_your_Macintos_20170827_0468/mode/2up

From what I can tell it just synced up PDA data with your Mac.

Pretty interesting stuff!

Is the series 6 worth the extra money or should I just get the SE?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m very happy with my SE. Doubly so since I traded in my 3 for $95 towards it.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Am not wrong, or is the Series 6 the only option now if you want the ECG?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

New from apple, yeah. It looks like various retailers have some series 5 stock sitting around but it isn't any cheaper than the 6. The 4 is long gone.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

MarcusSA posted:

I’m very happy with my SE. Doubly so since I traded in my 3 for $95 towards it.

Every now and then I get confused as to whether I’m reading the iPhone or Apple Watch thread and this one threw me for a real loop, haha

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

You can do it manually, but it looks like it's on a 2 hour schedule.

Also, I've tested SpO2 for about week against the meter I got that was recommended to my by a cardio rehab nurse. I also tested it against my primary care physician's meter just yesterday. I can confirm that as long as you have the band snug it is very accurate. Or at least as accurate as other portable meters.

I've found if you manually take a measurement it tends to be accurate but if you allow it to do it on its own, it's wildly inaccurate. I've swung from 80 to 99, when i know my Sp02 is pretty stable at 98/97 when using the approved finger ones.

With that said, i know it's not a medical device so you take it with a grain of salt.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

vyst posted:

I've found if you manually take a measurement it tends to be accurate but if you allow it to do it on its own, it's wildly inaccurate. I've swung from 80 to 99, when i know my Sp02 is pretty stable at 98/97 when using the approved finger ones.

With that said, i know it's not a medical device so you take it with a grain of salt.

Weird. I think the lowest automatic reading I've had is 95, which is well within the bounds of error for even the finger ones.

e: I just checked the health app and the lowest was 94

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I think I saw it mentioned here, but DON'T remove the watch when moving to a new iPhone. My 12 Pro picked up the watch as I was setting it up and all my data was preserved. No remove/add/restore from backup required.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I’m still pissed that the new iOS update didn’t fix the issue with workout maps/routes not showing up in the Fitness app.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
When I got the new Apple Watch I got hit with that bug too but it disappeared when I paired it with my new iPhone. So maybe unpair/repair helps?

Also I couldn’t get that slick porting over the watch to the new phone thing to work for some reason :saddowns: still better though compared to how I lost a year of workout data because i didn’t know you had to unpair your watch first before wiping a phone in the old days :psyduck:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Yeah getting a new phone requires almost no work. I just got a new SE and everything transitioned cleanly. The only thing I had to do was log into banking apps.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Bob A Feet posted:

Yeah getting a new phone requires almost no work. I just got a new SE and everything transitioned cleanly. The only thing I had to do was log into banking apps.

One of my favorite things about Apple phones.

I remember each time I would get an Android phone I would wind up spending at least 3 hours setting it up.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I’m still pissed that the new iOS update didn’t fix the issue with workout maps/routes not showing up in the Fitness app.

That’s really weird. When I updated to 14.0.1 or whatever some weeks back it fixed the issue for me. Did you skip that update and go straight to 14.1? (It still works now that I’m on 14.1 as well btw.)

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does anyone know how to stop zombie meeting change notifications? I have my work Exchange account linked to my iPhone calendar to give me notifications on my watch. A couple of meetings have had the details change and I’ve accepted those but they keep notifying me at least once a day. I’ve had it happen before but I can’t remember how I fixed it.

I’ve tried to the reset button but that didn’t seem to work.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

pantslesswithwolves posted:

gently caress I thought my watch was just broken, I'm still getting this

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Quantum of Phallus posted:

gently caress I thought my watch was just broken, I'm still getting this

Me too.

My watch and my phone no longer sync workouts.

Yesterday I earnt this:

Phone has absolutely no recollection of any workout since I updated to iOS 14 / watchOS 7

The support article for it is trash. ‘Just go ahead and wipe your phone and your watch, and hopefully it’ll prevent future data loss’

Fuuuck offff

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

That’s really weird. When I updated to 14.0.1 or whatever some weeks back it fixed the issue for me. Did you skip that update and go straight to 14.1? (It still works now that I’m on 14.1 as well btw.)

I’ve done every update since 14.0 hit.

Yeast posted:

Me too.

My watch and my phone no longer sync workouts.

Yesterday I earnt this:

Phone has absolutely no recollection of any workout since I updated to iOS 14 / watchOS 7

The support article for it is trash. ‘Just go ahead and wipe your phone and your watch, and hopefully it’ll prevent future data loss’

Fuuuck offff

Yeah that support article super pissed me off. How about you prevent future and past data loss by testing the impact of an update on a big selling point of the Watch, Apple?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

The new Sleep app is a pretty good implementation of Sleep Cycle, but it's useless with a watch since you lose the audible alarm on your phone. Who thought that not even being an option was a good idea? I have to choose between sleep tracking and actually waking up?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

XBenedict posted:

The new Sleep app is a pretty good implementation of Sleep Cycle, but it's useless with a watch since you lose the audible alarm on your phone. Who thought that not even being an option was a good idea? I have to choose between sleep tracking and actually waking up?

I've never had an issue with the haptic alarm waking me up.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

XBenedict posted:

It's profoundly dumb since I'm 50/50 on the haptics so I have to set an "oh poo poo" old school alarm for 10-15 minutes later on my phone just in case.

I know Apple gets a lot of poo poo for "No, you're doing it wrong!" UI decisions, but iOS14/WatchOS 7 are for me, the first time I've really felt they were just adding/moving things for the sake of "progress" that make everything harder to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I wish I could sleep track and allow notifications, or at least get them delivered silently on the sleep screen of the watch.

The tracking works great but it’s definitely an idealized way of how people actually sleep. Just let me use it without do not disturb activated. Give me the option.