Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've convinced myself I need a weather sealed camera, looking at used prices it seems like the X-pro2 and X-H1 are around the same price. Obviously they're quite different, the X-H1 would be a way to have a whole different feel than my X100F whereas the X-Pro would be sort of "more of the same but with lenses." The stabilization is a big draw since I want to do more night photography which is why I'm even considering the X-H1 over the X-T3 [which costs a little more], I typically prefer smaller gear but the IBIS and big viewfinder combo is appealing. I literally never use the optical viewfinder on my X00 so don't really care about that.

How weird does the X-Pro feel with a zoom? I'm considering the 16-55 or 16-80 for walking around/landscape/architecture. Conversely the X-H1 probably feels off if you've just got one of the small primes on it.

Not married to Fuji since I have no investment in any "system" but I know the feel and the lenses. I guess I'm looking at under a grand for a body, weather sealed and one versatile zoom and at least one fast prime so around 2 grand-ish total budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Having used tiny primes on full sized, gripped DSLRs I don't think that's going to be an issue. Like, manual focusing rangefinder lenses can feel weird, but I'm not sure it's such a big deal with autofocus lenses and their wider bodies (and not needing to grab the barrel so much) even if they are light. To me it's more of an issue going the other way with a heavy lens on small body.

As another option, now that the Z6II is out I'm seeing Z6s for cheap, and the Z5 is cheap new as-is. The 24-70 f4 seems to go for sub $400 used. Might be tough to find a good deal on a used Z mount prime, but you could probably get close to 2 grand if you take your time. I wonder if something similar is happening with Canon R mount bodies, though I think if I went that way I'd always regret not having the upgraded layout while the Nikons didn't change that much.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

qirex posted:

I've convinced myself I need a weather sealed camera, looking at used prices it seems like the X-pro2 and X-H1 are around the same price. Obviously they're quite different, the X-H1 would be a way to have a whole different feel than my X100F whereas the X-Pro would be sort of "more of the same but with lenses." The stabilization is a big draw since I want to do more night photography which is why I'm even considering the X-H1 over the X-T3 [which costs a little more], I typically prefer smaller gear but the IBIS and big viewfinder combo is appealing. I literally never use the optical viewfinder on my X00 so don't really care about that.

How weird does the X-Pro feel with a zoom? I'm considering the 16-55 or 16-80 for walking around/landscape/architecture. Conversely the X-H1 probably feels off if you've just got one of the small primes on it.

If you go with the 16-55 over the 16-80, I'd definitely go for the X-H1 for the stabilization. I imagine with something as large as the 16-55, the larger grip on the X-H1 would be a nice benefit as well. I think it really just comes down to how attached to the rangefinder form factor you are. Otherwise the X-H1 seems like the way to go as the form factor/size benefits of the x-pro seem to be lost once you're putting big zooms on it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Still mad the X-S10 isn't sealed, the size and features are nearly perfect.

Oh, according to rumor sites there's a Q2 Monochrom coming from Leica, maybe I should just save my pennies for another 5 years [it will probably cost more than half a million pennies].

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Speaking of weather sealing, maybe one of you gents can help me.

I've noticed that after shooting my Fuji WR body + lens in the rain that there is condensation on the lens flange/mount. This is after drying the camera off completely and then removing the lens.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/fuji-x-t3/fuji-x-t3WEATHERTESTING.HTM

Imaging Resource had the same issue on the XT3 as well as the Nikon Z6 and they claim it is because of the suction created when the lens is removed.

Are they right? Is my camera at risk? I am honestly paranoid because of this. I've tested it with two different WR lenses and get the same water on the lens mount. I actually bought a Peak Design Shell just to ease my fears.

Honestly qirex I have read a lot of horror stories about Fuji weatherproofing. I even called tech support on this issue and they told me Fuji does not recommend using their cameras in the rain, and that they are designed specifically to be "resistant" and not "sealed". You could always get that X-S10 and slap a solid rain cover on there.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah I’ve seen some up and down reports of Fuji weather sealing. I might just wait for a deal on an Olympus OMD body, they’re known to be pretty rugged with some good sealed zooms and the m43 used lens pricing situation is pretty appealing. That said 4/3 feels like a dwindling format but I figure if I get 2 good years out of it I’ll probably be cool.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

qirex posted:

Yeah I’ve seen some up and down reports of Fuji weather sealing. I might just wait for a deal on an Olympus OMD body, they’re known to be pretty rugged with some good sealed zooms and the m43 used lens pricing situation is pretty appealing. That said 4/3 feels like a dwindling format but I figure if I get 2 good years out of it I’ll probably be cool.

I have heard that Olympus is as good as it gets. At exhibitions they would put their cameras in "weather chambers" that would spray them for days on end.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

qirex posted:

Adorama has the EM-1 II on for $700 off.

That qualifies as a deal.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

$1299 for the M5 Mk III with a 12-45 is pretty nice too.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Thoren posted:

I have heard that Olympus is as good as it gets. At exhibitions they would put their cameras in "weather chambers" that would spray them for days on end.

Can attest that M43 weather proofing is no joke. Dunked my em-1x in a pool accidentally while shooting a swim event and it was/is completely fine. I also had my GH5 UW casing half-flood with seawater up to the battery well after taking a knock on a 200 ft dive and literally nothing happened to the camera, though I did have to replace the leak sensor circuitry since that was all fried/corroded out.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah for all the legit knocks on Olympus, their sealing is absolutely phenomenal.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
looking at macro extension tubes for X-mount (I'm using an X-T1). Do the Fuji ones have any advantage over 3rd-party ones? I saw Meike selling both 10mm and 16mm tubes for 1/4th the price of a Fuji, and it still has autofocus.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I've never used the Fuji ones but the cheapo ones work fine. I think the biggest difference is probably in how tightly/loosely everything fits together, but I will refer you back to the previous sentence.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Cheapo ones work absolutely fine for me too. I have read of one person saying their cheapo ones would intermittently break electrical connection when used with a very heavy lens whereas the official Fujis were flawless, but I think that experience is fairly rare.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Did the A7R IV just drop $500 in price? Or was it a while ago? Is everyone rushing out to get one?

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
The amazon price tracker says it has been on sale since the 26th, and was also on sale earlier this month for the same price.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

There are foxes at my workplace that come around in the early morning and around dusk. It’s been a while since I’ve chased the wildlife/bird photography dragon, but with the great video on my X-T cameras it’s tempting to try and get some footage of them and put together a little mini doc for our social media accounts. I’ve got an adapted Nikon 200/4 AIS lens that I’ve used for wildlife video in the past, but usually stopped down. At f/4 it’s not that great, and maybe a little bit outresolved by 4K sampling and suffer from too much CA.

So, considering the 55-200. It’s not as fast but fairly sharp wide open at 200. It’s pretty much the only game in town for X-mount. The XC zoom is too slow, the 100-400 is too expensive. The 70-300 doesn’t exist yet.

But also thinking about the Fringer EF-FX mkII adapters. Has anyone used them? The Pro version has an aperture ring. Someone in the comments on the b&h page says the non-pro can only do auto aperture, but surely the user can still select aperture with a dial on the camera body, right?

The adapter + an EFS 55-250 STM is about the same price as a Fuji 55-200. Kinda leaning towards that combo instead of the native lens... it opens up a whole lot of cheaper glass, and some things that are really nice like the sigma f/1.8 zooms. Anyone here using Fuji with one of these newer adapters for Canon lenses? From everything I’ve read, the AF seems pretty functional with them, but are there other factors to consider? Weird color balance? Bad uncorrected distortion?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For autofocus adapters I feel like I'd want something with more than 4 reviews where one claims it locks up the camera. I don't see why it would cause any other wacky issues for color/distortion/whatever though long as it's not a speedbooster type thing with glass in it.

Have you thought about other Nikon options? A 300mm f4 AF-D would probably be cheap-ish and more modern than your 200mm AIS. AF-D can be a bummer to manually focus since it's usually really light, but I did it for years shooting video with my D800.

If I were you I think I'd get the Fuji option just to not deal with a possibly goofy adapter.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Last year that 55-200 could be had new for $399 and at that price it was a steal. I've owned it and the 50-140/2.8. Wouldn't mind buying the 55-200 again.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

You're not gaining much in speed with the EF-S lens, either, and Fuji images can push the ISO pretty decently if need be. I'd either pick up the 55-200 now and flip it for the 70-300 once that exists, or just keep it depending on your needs. But then my one experience with adapters was the EF to M adapter from Canon and while it worked, it made the whole thing so big as to be frustrating, so I'm naturally a bit "just stick to the system" with my thoughts.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Olympus 150-400mm f/4.5 PRO is out. Built in 1.25x TC, loving EIGHT stops of IS when synched up with the body, 4lbs, and just over a foot long. I'll also never be able to afford it.

Related, EM1X is getting a firmware update that will include :woop: BIRD DETECTION AUTOFOCUS :woop:

E: Firmware update is December 2nd. Details:

quote:

E-M1X Version 2.0

Bird detection AF has been added to Intelligent Subject Detection AF.
RAW video output to external equipment is now supported.
Compatible external device: ATOMOS NINJA V HDR monitor recorder.
Focus Stacking Mode is now compatible with the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 150-400mm F4.5 TC1.25x IS PRO lens.
Video image stabilization has been improved.
Focus indicator display is now available during manual focusing.

And for the EM1 Mk iii:

quote:

INCLUDED IN FIRMWARE VERSION 1.2
RAW video output to external equipment is now supported.
*Compatible external device: ATOMOS NINJA V HDR monitor recorder.
Focus Stacking Mode is now compatible with the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 150-400mm F4.5 TC1.25x IS PRO lens.
Focus indicator display is now available during manual focusing.

And EM1 mk ii:

quote:

E-M1 Mark II Version 3.4

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 17, 2020

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Why are these huge lenses always white instead of black?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

uXs posted:

Heat absorption can become an issue at that size. Supposedly Olympus has some manner of heat shielding layered in the paint but who knows if that's marketing bullshit or what.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

There's probably something relating to heat issues in the optics and Canon figured out that painting the lens body white mitigated it to some extent, but now everyone paints them white because Big White Lens = Serious Business. Nikon never bothered, and I've never heard people say "yeah it's only good up to about 35C" or "you can't really shoot in direct sunlight with them" with the big Nikon lenses.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Also so you can sell birders camo covers.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

uXs posted:

Nikon's are black. 5% heat management, 95% marketing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Now that I have both the 1.4x and 2x teleconverter along wiht the 300mm f/4, there's no reason I could justify buying that 150-400 but god drat if I'm not gonna rent the poo poo out of it for a weekend of bird shots or an air show.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

My neverending quest for a small-ish weather sealed camera continues: There's some deals on the Nikon Z5, $1600 with the 24-50 kit lens. There isn't a ton of hype about the Z5, I think because it's not great for video it doesn't get much youtube attention and it's not as good as the Z6 & 7 at the high end. It's a bigger body that I was looking for but with the kit lens it's comparable to the other stuff I was looking at like the E-M5 III with the 12-45 or X-T3 with the 18-55. I know it's a lot less reach but I'm not as concerned about zoom.

Part of me just wants to upgrade to the X100V and leave the rest alone.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
White also makes it appear optically larger, which probably makes sense from a marketing perspective.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I had a similar line of thinking and wound up getting a used g1x iii for ~$550. I don't think the weather sealing is up to olympus standards, and image quality definitely doesn't compare well to the fixed focal length compacts, but I've been happy with it. The color is a step up from the gr ii/iii (I always had problems with skin tones anyway), and even if the lens isn't nearly as sharp but hitting focus is more easier with the more reliable autofocus. It does fit in my pants pocket, but I probably wouldn't carry it that way. The grip isn't bad, but I can't reach the back dial/four way controller with one hand. The back dial is very difficult to use, but with four dials (including exposure comp) I don't find it to be an issue. I saw reviews saying high speed sync wouldn't work with an external flash, but it does with my wireless q20 ii (and a manual godox triggering off that one), but I couldn't get the godox or q20 ii to trigger correctly with the built in flash.

Probably my biggest complaint is that the auto iso implementation is useless, but I just set iso to the front dial.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fools Infinite posted:

I saw reviews saying high speed sync wouldn't work with an external flash, but it does with my wireless q20 ii (and a manual godox triggering off that one), but I couldn't get the godox or q20 ii to trigger correctly with the built in flash.
Holy crap another FlashQ owner! I feel like the Q20 doesn't get the recognition is deserves, just being able to take the flash off and hold it over to the side or hand it to someone else made me enjoy using it even though there's no TTL.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

qirex posted:

My neverending quest for a small-ish weather sealed camera continues: There's some deals on the Nikon Z5, $1600 with the 24-50 kit lens. There isn't a ton of hype about the Z5, I think because it's not great for video it doesn't get much youtube attention and it's not as good as the Z6 & 7 at the high end. It's a bigger body that I was looking for but with the kit lens it's comparable to the other stuff I was looking at like the E-M5 III with the 12-45 or X-T3 with the 18-55. I know it's a lot less reach but I'm not as concerned about zoom.

If you want a pocket camera the X100v makes sense, at least that is what I keep telling my wife.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

I’ve been seeing the g1 Z6 used for like $1200 or even less. People seem to really like the Z5 though — kinda like the D750 where the specs aren’t amazing, but it’s really good allround (other than video, I guess, which the D750 was at least competitive with.)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
From the reviews I've seen the Z5 is excellent, but as people have said you can get a used Z6 for about the same, so why wouldn't you? Even if you don't want the video features it's got a top panel and faster fps.

It's kind of been screwed over by its own launch timing of coming out too close to the Z6II which has flooded the 2nd hand market with Z6s.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Fujirumors guy seems convinced that there’s an XF 27/2.8 mkII coming early 2021 (along with an X-E4, which is funny because I figured Fuji were killing their Ex & Txx lines in favor of the S line in these lean times).

Good news for me I guess because I’ve been pretty sure the 27 will be my next lens. Now to wait and see if the mkII gets updated optics in addition to an aperture ring. If it’s just the ring, hopefully I can pick up a good deal on a mkI once the new version is out. I think I can live without the direct aperture control, especially if it makes the new version significantly larger.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’m not sure what an X-E4 would bring to the table, really. I doubt they’d stabilize it or do flippy screen with the X-S10 out and I also doubt they’d weather seal it [although I’d like that a lot]. The newer sensor is better but not enough to warrant a new model.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
The x-t200 has been heavily discounted for a while and I think the fujirumors guy said it was discontinued already (and the x-a7 was already), maybe they'll make a crappier x-e4 and make it their budget line.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yeah, the 26MP sensor doesn’t bring anything new to the table in terms of still image quality, just better autofocus. That AF is significantly better, but the E’s aren’t the first body style I’d choose for action, sports, or wildlife. The video quality would be much better, though.

I wonder if this means the end of the Txx series, though. The X-T30 seems to be pretty pointless now that the S10 with IBIS is out.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The only place for the X-E4 is for those that want the range-finder body style without the cost of the X-Pro line's hybrid viewfinder. There are a lot of X-Pro users who claim to never use the optical viewfinder so there is at least some market. However the XE-1,2,3 and always been further below X-Pro lien in too many other ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
So last month someone broke into my car while my hiking backpack was sitting in it (gf and i have been steadily increasing our mileage and after our last hike I was so exhausted I was a lazy idiot and didn’t grab it) with my xt30 and 16-80. Luckily the rest of my lenses (9/2.8, 14/2.8, 35/1.4, 60/2.4) weren’t in the bag but seeing how I was only really using the 16-80 for a universal hiking lens while the primes were what I liked to shoot with more (I love the poo poo out of the 60/2.4) is there any reason for me not to pick up the xs10 with the insurance money to stabilize those primes, especially for macro shooting?

Basically the question is how useful would ibis be for macro shooting, especially since I have zero interest in getting the 80 macro with how ungodly heavy it is even if it’s stabilized.