Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

I really hate motion controls. They assume you play sitting up perfectly every time and come on, man.

I could see my daughter's arm getting tired from having to hold it out in front of her for a long time. It's absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

HootTheOwl posted:

I really hate motion controls. They assume you play sitting up perfectly every time and come on, man.

The only Wii games that I have played where motion controls felt good were the original Boxing that came with the console and a few of the WiiSports games; everything else is nonsense. Even the star bits gathering in the Galaxy games seemed like tacked-on rubbish.

I always find a certain irony, if I am using the term correctly, or at least dark humour in the fact that I had to look for ages for a Wii because it sold like billy-o but I ended up hating it. The Wii U, on the other hand, sold like poo poo but I had no problem finding one and like it very much.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i was pretty pissed when i found the classic controller pro only worked for like three games. i guess i should have done some research, but come on

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I really liked the use of the Wiimote in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. You waved it around as a flashlight, sometimes it would behave as the phone you were carrying and you'd get creepy calls through the speaker

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

JustJeff88 posted:

The only Wii games that I have played where motion controls felt good were the original Boxing that came with the console and a few of the WiiSports games; everything else is nonsense. Even the star bits gathering in the Galaxy games seemed like tacked-on rubbish.

I always find a certain irony, if I am using the term correctly, or at least dark humour in the fact that I had to look for ages for a Wii because it sold like billy-o but I ended up hating it. The Wii U, on the other hand, sold like poo poo but I had no problem finding one and like it very much.

The worst was the Wii version of Twilight Princess for me. I know it was a launch game and a port but like, come on, this is your new system and this is a Zelda game and you're gonna have it feel and execute that badly wtf. Skyward Sword was a sort of improvement but that game had its own issues.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

After catching up on the past 10 pages of this thread, I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, considering the thread has basically been Retail Collapse 2019: GameStop Death Watch

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/gamestop-and-microsoft-enter-multi-year-partnership-ahead-of-xbox-series-x-launch/1100-6483126/

quote:

The customer service experience is set to change at GameStop as the company enters a multi-year partnership with Microsoft. The deal enables the retailer to provide a "differentiated and personalized in-store customer experience" centered around more advanced tools through Microsoft assets like Dynamics 365, Surface notebooks, and Teams.

These changes will make GameStop feel more like an Apple store or Best Buy, with store associates walking around with Surface devices in hand and gaining access to customer information through Microsoft's cloud-based platforms. Both Dynamics 365 and Teams aim to enhance GameStop's productivity and collaboration tools to smooth out back-end and in-store experiences. These platforms give associates more detailed information on product availability, customer preferences and purchase history, subscriptions and prices, and upcoming or ongoing promotions.

This collaboration comes as GameStop announced payment plans for Microsoft's upcoming next-gen consoles, the Xbox Series S and Series X, earlier this week. The plans come in three different offerings--Installment, Layaway, and Rent-to-Own--and give customers plenty of time to pay the systems off. These payment plans are also available for the PlayStation 5.

In addition to the payment plans, GameStop and Microsoft teamed up for the Xbox All Access program, a 24-month payment plan for both next-gen Xbox systems that include Game Pass Ultimate. The plan costs $25 per month for the Series S and $35 per month for the Series X.

Xbox boss Phil Spencer spoke highly of GameStop in a press release, saying the company has been a "go-to-market partner" for many years and an integral part of the gaming ecosystem.

"For many years GameStop has been a strong go-to-market partner for our gaming products, and we are excited about continuing and evolving that relationship for the launch of the Xbox Series X/S," Spencer said. "GameStop's extensive store base, focus on digital transformation in an omni-channel environment and expert gamer associates remain an important part of our gaming ecosystem, and we're pleased to elevate our partnership."

GameStop has continued to struggle, especially during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. In April 2020, CEO George Sherman took a 50 percent pay cut as GameStop prepared to re-open its stores over the summer. And last month the company announced plans to close between 400 and 450 stores globally. However, GameStop's stock increased following the deal, the highest it has been since early 2019. Former Nintendo of America president Reggie Fis-Aime sits on GameStop's board of directors.

Microsoft's upcoming consoles, the Xbox Series S and Series X, launch on November 10 for $300 and $500, respectively.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Some worker with a surface is gonna be roaming a 50 square foot strip mall stall asking for my Microsoft username? Ooookay

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i was pretty pissed when i found the classic controller pro only worked for like three games. i guess i should have done some research, but come on

Same. There were so many games, Punch Out leaps to mind, where it would have been very appropriate yet wasn't implemented.

I will say that for FPS games it was fairly good.

Neo Rasa posted:

The worst was the Wii version of Twilight Princess for me. I know it was a launch game and a port but like, come on, this is your new system and this is a Zelda game and you're gonna have it feel and execute that badly wtf. Skyward Sword was a sort of improvement but that game had its own issues.

Abysmal, I agree. I ended up trading that towards the GC version... and then they came out with the Wii U remake.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

eggyolk posted:

After catching up on the past 10 pages of this thread, I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, considering the thread has basically been Retail Collapse 2019: GameStop Death Watch

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/gamestop-and-microsoft-enter-multi-year-partnership-ahead-of-xbox-series-x-launch/1100-6483126/

SO microsoft wants their own applestores and gamestop already has the storefronts?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

HootTheOwl posted:

SO microsoft wants their own applestores and gamestop already has the storefronts?

Microsoft already had their own 'Apple stores'. And they're closing them all.

This is 100% Microsoft's numbers showing that enough people still buy poo poo through GameStop that they want to ensure GameStop stays around to sell Xboxes and Xbox Accessories even though they're otherwise completely shanking the GameStop business model via digital game purchases. It's a "let's make sure you stay alive long enough to keep selling our poo poo until we finish weening customers off your store entirely".

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

That article is literally just a Microsoft press release, I wouldn't read too much into it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nintendo is apparently mobbed to the gills with the Yakuza, btw.

All Japanese companies are. They're not even secretive about it.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Random Stranger posted:

All Japanese companies are. They're not even secretive about it.

Curious, why tf does the Japanese government allow this?

Also the murder rate in Japan is just shy of the lowest of any country on earth, so what do Yakuza even threaten people with, harsh language?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

-Blackadder- posted:

Also the murder rate in Japan is just shy of the lowest of any country on earth, so what do Yakuza even threaten people with, harsh language?

They will ruin your career and make you unemployable. In Japan that means you kinda just die or leave.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

-Blackadder- posted:

Because the yakuza are also super in-bed with the LDP (Japan's ruling right-wing party).

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

-Blackadder- posted:

Its easy to say this, but it's just a different culture. If you explain the Republican party to people in other countries they find it kind of unbelievable, but to us, it's entirely normal to have ignorant bigots who clearly only care about rich people be celebrated by hicks they treat like garbage and actively enact policies which screw their own constituencies.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The yakuza are deeply embedded in Japanese culture in a way that is extremely unhealthy for everyone and also effectively impossible to pry out. With companies, for example, the yakuza will disrupt business if the companies don't deal with them and then the yakuza wind up providing off-the-books muscle for those companies to suppress things they don't like.

And while Japan's official murder rate is super-low, there are plenty of "disappearances" and "suicides".

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

biznatchio posted:

This is 100% Microsoft's numbers showing that enough people still buy poo poo through GameStop that they want to ensure GameStop stays around to sell Xboxes and Xbox Accessories even though they're otherwise completely shanking the GameStop business model via digital game purchases. It's a "let's make sure you stay alive long enough to keep selling our poo poo until we finish weening customers off your store entirely".

It's also a convenient bribe to make sure that, when people go to the videogame store to buy a new console, Gamestop has serious financial incentives to put the Xboxes front-and-center, and the Playstations off to the side (or, from Gamestop's perspective, an opportunity to push Sony to offer the same thing).

That placement might not matter so much to people who walk in with strong opinions about the type of RAM in their console, but it'll be a big deal for a whole lot of people doing gift shopping this holiday season.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

pseudanonymous posted:

If you explain the Republican party to people in other countries they find it kind of unbelievable, but to us, it's entirely normal to have ignorant bigots who clearly only care about rich people be celebrated by hicks they treat like garbage and actively enact policies which screw their own constituencies.

The thing that makes this statement so wonderfully true is that one could replace "Republican" with "Democrat", "Labour", "Conservative", "Tory" or basically anything these days and it's still true.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I know exactly how this GameStop Surface tablet poo poo is gonna work out because they've been down this road before.

I worked at GameStop for a few years and for a good chunk of it, they gave every store an ipad. The idea was that you could look up customers on it, see other store's inventory, and if there was a line, you could start a transaction on it and ring them through on the main register. All pretty good ideas, but never fully realized.

Typing stuff on a tablet is an incredible pain in the rear end. The inventory tracker wasn't reliable so you'd still have to call the other store to have them check. I don't think we ever used the transaction feature, I think it was never fully implemented or something. The worst was that they gave us quotas on looking up people's power up cards. They wanted us, for every customer, look up their account on the tablet, see what points they had, and encourage them to use their points for poo poo. It felt incredibly invasive. They also wanted us to do it away from the counter, out on the floor, which wasn't going to happen because people naturally went to the counter when they wanted to talk to you and the registers were easier and faster to use. To get around the quota we just looked up our own accounts or pulled up random people so they'd get off our backs during the conference calls.

I mostly used the tablet to watch youtube videos when nobody was there.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I've actually gone out of my way to support Gamestop over the years, since I wanted them to keep having games and not just have it be box stores and Amazon. But they suck. But with the PS5, it will be my last purchase going into a GameStop. I pre ordered one, will trade in my PS4 pro towards the cost, and then i'm going all digital for PS5 games. My old ps4 games disk will work with it, and any ps4 games I don't own I'll grab cheap on sale online for black Friday. It's another thing I now won't have to leave my house for, and that's better.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

quote:

These changes will make GameStop feel more like an Apple store or Best Buy, with store associates walking around with Surface devices in hand and gaining access to customer information through Microsoft's cloud-based platforms.

Last time I checked, a Gamestop was about as big as a livingroom and packed full of shelves...

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

LionArcher posted:

I've actually gone out of my way to support Gamestop over the years,

Please don't do this.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Have you seen the price of LPs? I know there's only one place in the world making the shellac for them or something like that but jesus christ

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Please don't do this.

I won't anymore, after I pick up my PS5 on November 12th. I only did because while they have always sucked, Amazon eating everything in front of them seemed worse long term. But frankly, I love apple stuff, and target stuff, and sometimes best buy stuff. So really, as long as those stores are around, I'm good. (Apple isn't going anywhere, and I don't think Target is either).

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nintendo is apparently mobbed to the gills with the Yakuza, btw.

These are more patient gangsters than I've ever met. You would think they would want them to make as much money as possible as fast as possible with crowd pleasing features.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

skooma512 posted:

These are more patient gangsters than I've ever met. You would think they would want them to make as much money as possible as fast as possible with crowd pleasing features.

They have been getting that money quietly for probably over a century, so I am sure they are thinking more long term that a quick cash grab that ruins the company.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
They stopped pushing after Reggie had a talk with them. :toughguy:

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

biznatchio posted:

The biggest upshot for them is that they can give the Xbox favored treatment at one of the biggest console retailers at the start of a console generation war, which is the most crucial period in its lifespan.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

OneEightHundred posted:

The biggest upshot for them is that they can give the Xbox favored treatment at one of the biggest console retailers at the start of a console generation war, which is the most crucial period in its lifespan.

:xbone:

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

OneEightHundred posted:

One of the biggest console retailers of the last generation, sure, but they're going to have less than 3000 stores by the end of the year, and many of those are in dying malls. Yeah, it's probably a good deal for Microsoft still, but they fell fast and hard since 2016.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

HootTheOwl posted:

I live on a sailboat and forget about it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It's literally only going to give a small boost to North American sales, which was already where they are strongest. Xbox still has its work cut out for it ("games matter" rhetoric here), and it's only delaying the inevitable for Gamestop without a full replacement of their board.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Mister Facetious posted:

It's literally only going to give a small boost to North American sales, which was already where they are strongest. Xbox still has its work cut out for it ("games matter" rhetoric here), and it's only delaying the inevitable for Gamestop without a full replacement of their board.

If Microsoft didn’t live in fear of another anti-trust suit it could buy Sony outright and not even break a sweat. This deal is about getting the Xbox entertainment system in more homes nothing else.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

If Microsoft didn’t live in fear of another anti-trust suit it could buy Sony outright and not even break a sweat. This deal is about getting the Xbox entertainment system in more homes nothing else.

I'm not disputing that, I'm just saying it isn't going to be a significant boost to the sales they would already make from Gamestop. If they really cared about launch day sales MS would be going hard into Europe where they're even more of an also-ran than in North America.

I think the fact the Series S exists is going to be a bigger driver of sales than this Gamestop partnership, because its price (usd $299) is a direct shot at the Nintendo Switch.
Which means low budget consumers without kids have the option of next-gen games instead of just Mario.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 28, 2020

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/1321271223754596358

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Good

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Breaking911's a chud feed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

sbaldrick posted:

Again, it's very hard if not impossible for Japanese companies to be bought out by foreign ones, hence why Nintendo can have so much liquid cash on hand without worrying about a hostile takeover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Again, it's very hard if not impossible for Japanese companies to be bought out by foreign ones, hence why Nintendo can have so much liquid cash on hand without worrying about a hostile takeover.

Why, just out of curiosity? Do they typically not offer large portions of themselves up for sale? Are there limits to the amount of stock that can legally be held by foreign companies?