Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
I really wanted a Golf R when it was time for me to change vehicles six months ago, but I just couldn't afford it. I don't know if it's unique to the Minneapolis area market, but they seem to really hold their value around here. So now I'm slumming it again in a (newer) A4 instead like the filthy casual driver I am.

Good for you though! I like both white hot hatches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Grats and welcome to white GTI club!

So I've had my S for a while and it was time to take care of the base audio in this car. Wasn't sure what I actually need to touch yet so the first step was signal processing. Spliced in a line out converter and an amp between the head unit and speakers. I was hoping I could take advantage of the space in the glove box where the Fender amp goes but sadly I didn't have enough space and I didn't want to cut the dash up. So I ended up sticking it underneath the passenger seat.

Also made a little kick plate in case someone needs to put the seat back all the way to protect the wires.

Next step is going to be rear speakers and some sound deadening in the rear doors(vibrate like crazy). I think the front might be ok for now.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
I like my candy white GTI but want to see one of the new White Silver Metallic ones in person as a possible replacement. It sucks there aren't more color choices, most of the options are boring or too similar. Still trying to find a blue Rabbit...

Blakkout posted:

I really wanted a Golf R when it was time for me to change vehicles six months ago, but I just couldn't afford it. I don't know if it's unique to the Minneapolis area market, but they seem to really hold their value around here. So now I'm slumming it again in a (newer) A4 instead like the filthy casual driver I am.

Good for you though! I like both white hot hatches.

Yeah around here(SC) Golf Rs seem to take an immediate depreciation then sit at a price for a long time, instead of a steady decline. There just aren't many around.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The '21 SE GTI has an SE trim with the cornflower blue from the Rabbit.

Here's my black SE:

The one advantage to the boring black is all the colors match which I like. I put a mild tune on with a JB4 which is pretty nice to have to be honest.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 26, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Every time I have a dream about driving, it's in my old GTI instead of my current car and I wake up sad.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

My own 2016 GTI SE, the fender system is seriously outstanding in it, though it loves to get dirty.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Looks great, nice to see people posting their Golfs!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

More GTIs!

After wrapping the remainder of the roof black:

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
It's nice, I like the wheels a lot and the black top looks great.

I really want wheels, but I want to do tires at the same time and am buying too many electronics to consider either right now. I barely drive, so it makes little sense to make that move until the tires wear out. My GTI is a 2019 and I haven't hit 3,000 miles yet.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

My old GTI. I liked it but I do not miss it compared to its replacement.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

My old GTI. I liked it but I do not miss it compared to its replacement.

That’s because your car was barely functioning after that accident!!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

That’s because your car was barely functioning after that accident!!

Honestly, once I got the car repainted the only noticeable thing from the accident was that one of the DRL's wouldn't work a lot of the time. I took it to the dealer multiple times and they "couldn't reproduce it" even though it happened regularly but it was a lease so I didn't give a poo poo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Rusty posted:

It's nice, I like the wheels a lot and the black top looks great.

I really want wheels, but I want to do tires at the same time and am buying too many electronics to consider either right now. I barely drive, so it makes little sense to make that move until the tires wear out. My GTI is a 2019 and I haven't hit 3,000 miles yet.

yeah i am wearing down the eco oriented Falkens that came on the Alltrack and really hope they wear down faster because i cannot stand to pitch perfectly functioning tires

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Just be like me and sell the stock tires/wheels, then later move for work and realize you need a new set of wheels for snow tires and have to buy another set! Big brain financial moves.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i already bought my snow tires and wheels as -1 and i don't mind the way the stock wheels look, just need to wear down those stupid tires

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Just be like me and sell the stock tires/wheels, then later move for work and realize you need a new set of wheels for snow tires and have to buy another set! Big brain financial moves.

or be like me and buy a full set of replacement OEM 18s from four seperate idiots who wrecked their Rs but salvaged them for parts.

i should try and trade them for a euro set.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

GabbiLB posted:

Grats and welcome to white GTI club!

So I've had my S for a while and it was time to take care of the base audio in this car. Wasn't sure what I actually need to touch yet so the first step was signal processing. Spliced in a line out converter and an amp between the head unit and speakers. I was hoping I could take advantage of the space in the glove box where the Fender amp goes but sadly I didn't have enough space and I didn't want to cut the dash up. So I ended up sticking it underneath the passenger seat.

Also made a little kick plate in case someone needs to put the seat back all the way to protect the wires.

Next step is going to be rear speakers and some sound deadening in the rear doors(vibrate like crazy). I think the front might be ok for now.

Clean lookin' spot to stuff those; I'm interested in how it ends up! I didn't want to hear the Fender system to know what I was missing, and got the Helix sub dealio after seeing a bunch of people rave about how the sub plus the software tweak to the sound stage sounds amazing but :shrug: I'm not feeling it. Not bad, but it does the Bose-ey thing where the right music at the right volume sounds great, but stray from pop music and it's like there's a wacked out EQ that only wants to play certain ranges and playing with the bass/mid/treble sliders doesn't really do what I want. Dunno if they didn't flash the audio config right at the dealer or if my expectations are off or what but gotta do something about it someday. Even my 4 year old said she misses my old car cause how the music sounded! (And it was a factory Bose system using a cassette->headphone adapter!)

That black roof on white looks groovy. White isn't my favorite Golf color but I went with that thinking the right wrap/paint can make it really pop on the road. Original plan was to try and do an homage to how the old Bel Airs looked but after doing a bunch of mockups on the Mk7 R Coupe in Forza I dunno if it can be done in a way I'd want to look at it every day lol

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

imo the subwoofer on the fender system in the R bumps real good.

i'd love to hear it with the spare tire installed, idk if that would help or hinder.

i've seen people stuff the sub with poly-fil, but that seems silly as hell

mrtrunks84
Oct 5, 2004

The train in my head just missed it's stop
Drove a Mk 4 GTI for ten years and enjoyed the crowd. Now that I have upgraded to the R I am invisible to GTI owners. I just want to be part of the gang but I guess I'm too douchey now, haha. In Utah the R is still pretty rare considering the AWD is nice here in winter.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The best thing about the Rs that you guys are posting is that VW doesn't lift the entire car up to fit the AWD system underneath like the BMW x-drive.

I have a pearl white mk5 GTI but apparently no decent photos of it!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

I miss this guy. 2010 2-door 6-speed GTI Autobahn that I picked up in Texas and drove to Wisconsin. Served me great for 5 years, at which point I sold it to Carmax for...6k less than what I paid for it? I bought it from a guy on the MK6 forums with an APR Stage I tune and S3 shifter already installed.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

Deviant posted:

or be like me and buy a full set of replacement OEM 18s from four seperate idiots who wrecked their Rs but salvaged them for parts.

i should try and trade them for a euro set.

Are OEMs pretty cheap on the secondary market? I don't think I have it in my to buy four separates, but I assume that people must be looking to ditch them quick when they're looking to upgrade.

I would like to replace my lovely 10-spokes that came stock on my A4, but I intend to wait until my (almost brand new) tires need to be replaced. There are plenty of OEM Audi wheels that I'd consider to be a straight upgrade from a cosmetic perspective, so I can afford to be flexible if it means I'll save a couple bucks.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I'm glad the VW Bus/Vanagon community is so robust. I was able to find a company to print a new Westfalia door registration decal for me:

http://www.rentoncarrepair.com/product/westfalia-door-decals/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Blakkout posted:

Are OEMs pretty cheap on the secondary market? I don't think I have it in my to buy four separates, but I assume that people must be looking to ditch them quick when they're looking to upgrade.

I've gotten my last two sets of wheels from the wreckers. They weren't pretty, but I needed some for the winter and didn't care. Ended up paying about what a cheap wheel from Tire Rack cost.

I believe my place had them graded and nicer ones cost more. They also had an online search, if you wanted to look yourself.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Blakkout posted:

I would like to replace my lovely 10-spokes that came stock on my A4, but I intend to wait until my (almost brand new) tires need to be replaced. There are plenty of OEM Audi wheels that I'd consider to be a straight upgrade from a cosmetic perspective, so I can afford to be flexible if it means I'll save a couple bucks.

i got two pairs for $250 each off vwvortex, but it's hit or miss.

What happens is idiot buys R -> idiot wrecks two wheels on curb -> idiot buys 4 new aftermarket wheels -> idiot sells me two OEM 18" Cadiz on VWVortex

VelociBacon posted:

The best thing about the Rs that you guys are posting is that VW doesn't lift the entire car up to fit the AWD system underneath like the BMW x-drive.

I have a pearl white mk5 GTI but apparently no decent photos of it!

you do however lose the ability to lower the cargo floor in the back because of the rear differential. this is confusing because the cargo floor still has the sticker indicating its movability

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You goons don't put steelies on in the winter? Or is it hard to get them to fit the brakes on an R or new GTI?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

You goons don't put steelies on in the winter? Or is it hard to get them to fit the brakes on an R or new GTI?

What the gently caress is "winter"? I live in Florida.

(Plus with an extra set of R wheels in the garage, I dont have to cry over every scratch.)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

VelociBacon posted:

You need 17's to fit over the R or GTI performance pack brakes. I used the wheels off my TDI that I turned in on its winter steelies.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Alloys are lighter to manhandle, don't rust, and don't get stuck as easily.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I put 17" wheels on my (Mk. IV) R32 and just run all-seasons all the time in SoCal. I go to Big Bear once every few years and who gives a poo poo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

rope kid posted:

I put 17" wheels on my (Mk. IV) R32 and just run all-seasons all the time in SoCal. I go to Big Bear once every few years and who gives a poo poo

yeah no poo poo you don't need to run separate wheels in SoCal

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

rope kid posted:

protip: It never gets cold enough in SoCal that you get any benefit from all seasons and the 1 day a year you might is made up by the other 364 days of the year you having crappy all season grip

tl,dr: get summer tires

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

IME over the last 16 years running summer/performance tires vs. all-seasons, it's rare that I genuinely heat up the tires to an operating temperature where the increased grip is perceivable and the summer/performance tires have worn out significantly faster. If I'm not pushing the grip on my all-seasons and they wear much slower, why would I bother with summer/performance tires?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

rope kid posted:

IME over the last 16 years running summer/performance tires vs. all-seasons, it's rare that I genuinely heat up the tires to an operating temperature where the increased grip is perceivable and the summer/performance tires have worn out significantly faster. If I'm not pushing the grip on my all-seasons and they wear much slower, why would I bother with summer/performance tires?

Depends on the tire but the heat it takes to switch on a normal summer tire isn't that high. I don't notice an appreciable difference on track for example vs on spirited highway driving and I assume the track tire temps are significantly higher (with conti extremecontact DWs which are a fairly streetable performance tire).

I bother swapping to steelies with dedicated winter tires on them because I travel to areas where there is significant snow somewhat regularly and it's worth the investment. I go with summer/performance tires the other 9 months of the year because the grip is better and I feel like they clear rain much better than the all seasons I've tried in the past.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yeah, it definitely depends on the tire, but I really just don't drive my car so aggressively that I break grip on the tires anymore. When I first got it and was driving like a dipshit everywhere, yeah, summer tires were nice. I drive like an Eld now and the difference in wear/price difference is enough that I'd rather just use all-seasons. :shrug:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Deviant posted:

i got two pairs for $250 each off vwvortex, but it's hit or miss.

What happens is idiot buys R -> idiot wrecks two wheels on curb -> idiot buys 4 new aftermarket wheels -> idiot sells me two OEM 18" Cadiz on VWVortex

Stop, you guys are being mean :( I got caught out in an early snow with my D/W/S tires still mounted (worn down to "D" so yeah I'm an idiot...) I wasn't even trying to mess around!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-riVc0uLhI
e: skip to :28 -- and yes there's a ~3 second delay with the sound/video

Surprisingly I only ruined one wheel, one control arm, and one wheel bearing. And earned a tow back home, as that corner was so jacked up the wheel was rubbing the fender. Luckily I had a set of winter wheels with snow tires, so I kicked the can down the road til the spring.

I spun the 3 good wheels I had on the old bearing, and they still rolled true. Refinished Talladegas go for $350 online, and since mine had zero flaws and runnable tires, I decided to hawk em online for $250/ea or $600 for all three. Ended up selling the first for $250, and the last two for $250 total a whole year and a half later.

Did you know you can wrap your wheels up in wheel carriers like suitcases and carry them onto Amtrak as your baggage? It's basically free shipping!... you just have to have been going that way anyway. I had a friend out in Rochester I'd been meaning to visit while I found a guy in Rochester who wanted the wheels. Bing bang boom, turned the wheels into train tickets and a nice dinner a week before Covid shut things down.

I did buy a set of 18" Audi monoblocks the following spring, complete with new tires, a 5th as a spare, a whole lot of polishing compound, and a polisher, for $700.00. I like these a lot better than the stock Talladegas anyway.

VelociBacon posted:

I think 17's are the smallest that will clear the R's brakes. I found a set of scratched up alloys off an Audi someone was selling for like $100, and since they were scratched up I had fun with painting them. I would not recommend going with white without clearcoating them after.. ugh they've gotten so gross with brake dust after 3 seasons.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 29, 2020

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Is this actually just a Golf Owners Group or something? Nobody with boring Jettas or whatever?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

trashy owl posted:

Is this actually just a Golf Owners Group or something? Nobody with boring Jettas or whatever?

I've got a 2003 Jetta. It's got the 1.8T! I don't drive it very hard and I just want it to survive the rust that threatens it more and more every year. It's got a lot of little 17 year old car problems but usually fires right up without issue. Mice have bitten the evap hose twice while living on top of the gas tank. I'm working on a fix for that.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I just bought a 2007 Passat Wagon 2.0T 6MT. I've found the previous owner never checked the cam follower, so it has a bad camshaft and fuel pump as the cam follower was worn completely through. Somehow it was running fine with no codes in this condition. Cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

trashy owl posted:

there's definitely others, the golf owners are fairly loud rn though. wheel and aesthetic chat tends to wake us all up.