Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

ditto sludge? i'm happy to uninstall the mod as long as i can get the fuckin toxic goop off

nah, I've started out with a bottle of blood. It's *usually* water or a workalike, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Perks: Homing + Unlimited Spells

Wand: BOMBS

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/InfatuatedSparklingClingfish-mobile.mp4

Raining Spider Legs

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
One of lifes great joys is seeing those green fucks get blown to absolute smithereens and watching the resulting detritus go flying off at a million miles an hour.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

With this chainsaw I am become death, the destroyer of frames :catstare:

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
I just built my most powerful damage wand since I started a couple weeks ago, and the only payload I needed was 3 chainsaws and 2 digging bolts.

There are a bunch of crappy projectile mods like "your spells only travel horizontally" that add a good chunk of damage and cost 0 mana; you can stack those after a spark bolt with trigger and they do gently caress all to change the aim of your pinpoint accurate brrrrrt of death but greatly increase your damage ouput. I tossed on one mana regen mod and I could add in a faster cast mod plus some crit mods for a wand that delivered 5 massively boosted saw/drill shots per frame. Oh yeah, this thing also digs incredibly fast through anything softer than metal.

As for metal/brickwork, thanks to the goon who posted about ping-pong path + luminous beam as the ultimate digging device. If something was hiding behind metal it also doubled as a retaliation-proof wallhack sniper.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Polymorphine seems like a real dud for a starter potion but it is useful as a way to get out of holy mountain without triggering the collapse, if you don't find a teleport spell as an alternative way out, which means you can come back and edit wands mid level.
If a run isn't going that well this can really increase survivability if you can successfully pull it off.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pinpoint of light is kinda nutty

e:oh wait it's goki's destruction perk doing that

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's simple but it works.

gently caress offffff

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 27, 2020

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

the gently caress is this bullshit?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

gently caress offffff
I haven't played for a couple of days but this death spray has made me feel the murder urge once more.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I accidentally the entire tower

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's the shotgun spell and I found a 2 slot wand with 500 regen and stuck a single shotgun and a recharge reducer on it. Also I have vampirism so I appreciate all the blood.

Also what do the weird stone hands in the ice level do? I kick them and they spawn dudes, each one I find spawns more dudes, I've kicked three and the third spawned 3 dudes and also I got a "broken spell" out of it which is a throwable item and I'm not sure what it does.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

It's the shotgun spell and I found a 2 slot wand with 500 regen and stuck a single shotgun and a recharge reducer on it. Also I have vampirism so I appreciate all the blood.

Also what do the weird stone hands in the ice level do? I kick them and they spawn dudes, each one I find spawns more dudes, I've kicked three and the third spawned 3 dudes and also I got a "broken spell" out of it which is a throwable item and I'm not sure what it does.

Take the broken spell to the anvil in hiisi base. You then have to take the spell you get to the intersection of the staff/spear/somekindastick statues in the jungle. If they get broken or moved you're probably not finding the place to cast the spell that run.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 27, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Drowning the enemy in so much blood and viscera that they die from electricity is one way to do it I suppose.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Drowning the enemy in so much blood and viscera that they die from electricity is one way to do it I suppose.

I had a run with breathless, electricity and a very spammy bouncing burst + water trail wand once. It was great til the lag set in.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

dis astranagant posted:

the gently caress is this bullshit?

Toss in some Fire and Explosion Immunity perks and it's a good time :f5h::newlol:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

Toss in some Fire and Explosion Immunity perks and it's a good time :f5h::newlol:

dis astranagant posted:

I accidentally the entire tower

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

dis astranagant posted:

I had a run with breathless, electricity and a very spammy bouncing burst + water trail wand once. It was great til the lag set in.

I had the same with a triple shot bouncing ball that near instantly flooded even the jungle. My pc seemed able to handle it and I thought I'd try out the dragon egg.

Turns out not being able to move away from a worm barrelling towards you is death.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Help, I think I've built up some kind of physiological dependency where I'm unable to not use the buzzsaw spell at every opportunity.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
boy idk if the megaman charge up wand modifier is new but I like it a lot

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

I love disc projectiles and use them at every opportunity

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Seven Force posted:

I love disc projectiles and use them at every opportunity

Like you, I also love pressing the New Game button

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Hello, I've never beaten the game and hate how every enemy somehow has auto aim and can lob dynamite at me while falling down a hole as I levitate to the next platform. The only useful spell is the buzzsaws :colbert: and fire immunity.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Explosion Immunity is your best line of defense, followed shortly afterward by fire immunity due to the random rain of particles afterward being typically flammable.

EDIT: I know this is total bias but whenever I can prevent myself from being set on fire I tend to get doused in toxic sludge a lot more.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 27, 2020

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Walking over the tiniest drop of sludge starts to drain your health immediately, but I feel fire is a bit more forgiving. Especially if you are wet.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I swear i'm going to start slam-picking sludge immunity over anything else that isn't perk lottery

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

The early game is really unforgiving at the moment. It's cool what you can get up to if you manage to get past all the fire and toxic sludge hazards with enough money to buy some good stuff to experiment with. But if you can't, you just keep falling behind as the later levels get tougher.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Just reiterating what was said before but absolutely go ham on mods with this. There's no shame in making the game fun and you can always remove them later.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If you aren't aware, water turns toxic sludge into water. Your first line of defense vs toxic is spraying water everywhere.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

imo fire immunity is better because you can clean up sludge pretty easily. In the later stages it gets difficult to find anywhere to land that isn't a pool of your enemies' blood with a layer of burning oil on top

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

I know about the water+toxic sludge reaction, it's just that you don't as consistently start with water now. I use the cheat menu for the moment but would like to find a happy medium between using it and playing mod-free.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Try Goki's, play around with the various tweaks and additional gameplay elements it gives you. I've been enjoying my games a lot since installing it

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
These are all the mods I use:

They don't really make me much more powerful, but they DO make everything much less of a slog at the start. I need all of these to get any enjoyment out of the first few levels after doing them so many times. Including one that bumps up the base player speed by about 40% because you move so slow at the start, and giving myself another set of wand, item, and spell slots because it hurts to leave potentially good stuff behind. I don't really use the additional radar perks except for wands. I also got that translated enemy names one because Goki's Things lets you see enemy names and the names that they translate to are pretty funny. Don't really find myself using Anvil of Destiny much because of the randomness of what you get out of it though.

Sailor Dave fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 28, 2020

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Just got my first win on 1.0 :toot: Used a tentacle with timer and like 5 lightning bolts afterwards, it obliterated the final boss in a few hits. Unfortunately the majority of the run was kind of a shitshow, I got a whopping ONE holy mountain with wands before reaching the second to last one, so I didn't really get a decent killing wand until I found one with a ton of lightning at the end of the jungle. Even then I didn't have a wand with decent stats, and I didn't have lightning immunity, so it was risky to use. I managed to fumble my way through by zapping while flying and running like mad towards each exit and usually making it through with like 10 hp. Then I found lightning immunity in the final holy mountain and was super bummed I didn't have black holes for digging my way out to keep playing :( Is there any easier way to keep exploring and playing without black holes?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Mods. Save-editing to give yourself a wand with blackholes. Unstable teleportation potion.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Is there any easier way to keep exploring and playing without black holes?

You need the ability to dig through Brickwork and/or Extremely Dense rock if you're gonna go off the rails. One way to backtrack is when you're in Temple of the Art you can return to the surface by going left and entering a portal to The Tower which is a trippy clusterfuck of an uphill battle but eventually you get a cool wand (assuming you don't die first). If you enter The Laboratory without the ability to dig Brickwork, there isn't really any escaping.

LuminousDrill can cut through anything but requires a bit of skill and a lot of patience (and a wand with good stats), or GroundToSand on a projectile that can pierce packed sand (such as GlowingLance, though you'll need speed boosts or antigravity modifiers if you want to dig any direction other than downward). Also maybe MatterEater but on the rare occasions I find it I either don't have enough charges to accomplish anything useful and/or have generally already found something better.

If you're considering risky methods there's also Earthquake and/or Nuke which shatter terrain (and change its material type into "collapsed concrete" which is softer than rock, so you can dig out the rubble with almost any spell) but are mostly useful for digging straight up, and which take about ~2 casts to dig up a level if you Nuke the ceiling in Holy Mountain. Just be ready to lolwtf at the game over screen, and/or savescum.

Chaotic Polymorphine can turn you into a giant worm, or it can turn you into something that dies the instant you touch a pixel of water.

If you have Unlimited Spells perk, TouchOfBlood/-acid/etc are rare but useful for stuff like this. Also Bomb and ThunderCharge and ExplosionOfThunder and a few other powerful explosions can cause small amounts of hard terrain above the blast to crumble, even if the explosion can't actually destroy the material (the chunks behaves like sand but re-solidifies as soon as it stops falling, so these spells can actually create problems like getting trapped or buried alive)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Polymorph-scumming for a worm form can be dangerous though. After polymorphing too many times in a game there's a chance that the gods get pissed off and you get permanently stuck in your new poly-form.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Ground to Sand is also highly useful (if limited) and Luminous Drills are fairly common if slow for digging out EDR.

Sage Grimm posted:

Mods. Save-editing to give yourself a wand with blackholes. Unstable teleportation potion.

Also this.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I always forget lightsabers cut through everything, for whatever reason I never think to really use them as digging tools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Goki's mod makes for some silly poo poo

this is an improved version of that wand, with double the projectile spam

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Oct 28, 2020