Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I bought meat often enough to know what they're supposed to be priced. I basically don't buy outside of Costco because I feel like I might get ripped off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

um excuse me posted:

I wish I bought meat often enough to know what they're supposed to be priced. I basically don't buy outside of Costco because I feel like I might get ripped off.

boston butts/pork shoulder used to go on sale for 69 cents a pound sometime. Now, anything under a dollar is supremely good. Normal price i'd expect to pay is around 1.49 here in alabama.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

boston butts/pork shoulder used to go on sale for 69 cents a pound sometime. Now, anything under a dollar is supremely good. Normal price i'd expect to pay is around 1.49 here in alabama.

$4 / lb is not uncommon here. $3 / lb is common, and $2 / lb is a good deal. 99 cents is just BUY BUY BUY.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Canuckistan posted:

$4 / lb is not uncommon here. $3 / lb is common, and $2 / lb is a good deal. 99 cents is just BUY BUY BUY.

Dear lord where do you live?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Dear lord where do you live?

quote:

Canuckistan

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have purchased pork shoulder for ~$5CAD/lb from our local small butcher and not been too angry about it.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ah, I only recognize posters by av and didn't read the name.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I put some ribs on at about 2pm hoping to get them done by 6ish, but I've hit a snag: my Smoke X4 isn't driving the fan. It correctly detects it (fan icon), and reads the pit temp at 160, with a target of 240, but it doesn't turn the fan on. I've tried resetting everything and all the cables, and verifying the power adapter is adapting power, so I'm not sure what else to try.

(Other than manual vent control like a peasant.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Turns out when I reseated one of the cables (USB C<->C between splitter and fan) I didn't notice damage to one of the ends. I tried replacing it with a short and an a long known-good USB C cable and both times the main control unit freaked out: lit all the segments, then switched to flashing all the segments against the real display in the "off" cycle.

I guess it's carefully calibrated for the resistance of the supplied cable or something, and not really doing USB signaling? Happily the replacement cables are only $9, a genuine mercy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got a WSM a few weeks ago after moving into a house where I can own such a thing. So far I've cooked a couple chickens, a pork butt last weekend, and I have some spare ribs on right now. Everything has come out pretty great so far! Planning on smoking a turkey for Thanksgiving.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

I got a WSM a few weeks ago after moving into a house where I can own such a thing. So far I've cooked a couple chickens, a pork butt last weekend, and I have some spare ribs on right now. Everything has come out pretty great so far! Planning on smoking a turkey for Thanksgiving.

Throw some meatloaf on there at some point. It's good.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ribs are a pretty effortless affair as well.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Okay I think I got one last smoke in me until the spring.

Doing a rack of babybacks that I cut in half because a whole rack won’t fit on my smoker. My wife really doesn’t care too much for ribs, but she will eat a “country style” rib. Which I think I heard is just a pork shoulder cut into strips? I got two of those for her.

Seasoned everything with my Frankenstein rub, that is basically just leftovers from a bunch of other rubs all mixed together. While I have the rack split, I figured I’d try a different seasoning on one of those. I had this rub sitting in the pantry that I’ve never tried smoking, so I put that on one of the babyback halves.

Also, my father-in-law gave my a bunch of homegrown jalapeños. Last smoke I did went really well doing the hot peppers with the meat, so I’m doing that again.

Got the babybacks on the lower rack. Country ribs and jalapeños on top. Once the peppers are done in about three hours I’ll take them off and might move everything to one rack.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I keep procrastinating, but I really want to do some ribs on my weber kettle. Main thing that has stopped me so far is lack of a rib rack, because I can't justify all that effort for just 1 rack. So in that respect, any recommendations? I don't need anything fancy so I was just going to get the cheapo Weber rack on Amazon, but I'm open to suggestions.

The other question, though is this: where do you put your air temp probe?

Since I have a kettle, I have the slow n sear, but in my head the ribs would have to be near the center in order to fit, which puts the probe on the opposite side of the heat source. With 2 racks, that's a pretty effective heat shield, right? I feel like the temp probe would read WAY lower than the heat that the ribs are getting.

I guess I could chop the racks in half and have the probe on the side?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

I keep procrastinating, but I really want to do some ribs on my weber kettle. Main thing that has stopped me so far is lack of a rib rack, because I can't justify all that effort for just 1 rack. So in that respect, any recommendations? I don't need anything fancy so I was just going to get the cheapo Weber rack on Amazon, but I'm open to suggestions.

Since I have a kettle, I have the slow n sear, but in my head the ribs would have to be near the center in order to fit, which puts the probe on the opposite side of the heat source. With 2 racks, that's a pretty effective heat shield, right? I feel like the temp probe would read WAY lower than the heat that the ribs are getting.

You can stack racks on top of each other. Just make sure you rotate which is on top. You should have enough room for a rack. I only do one at a time laid flat and I've never had a problem with space.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Ribs came really good! That rub I found had a nice heat level to it. I wish I did both halves with it.

This is my second cook with lump charcoal and I’ll never go back to briquettes. I don’t have to run out and play with the vents as much. The temperature seems to stabilize easier. Smells better, and seems to leave a lot less ash.

Took a picture right before I sauced them and then let them go one more hour.

Finished!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

seems to leave a lot less ash.

a lot less ash, yeah. I sweep mine out every time with briquettes, and every third time with lump. I can't imagine doing a long cook with briquettes, it must be constant torture

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Dango Bango posted:

You can stack racks on top of each other. Just make sure you rotate which is on top. You should have enough room for a rack. I only do one at a time laid flat and I've never had a problem with space.

Really? That seems like it would mess with the cook time significantly, despite rotating. You're cutting off half the heat going to the food.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

Really? That seems like it would mess with the cook time significantly, despite rotating. You're cutting off half the heat going to the food.

I've never done it, but it's a recommended method in a Weber grilling cookbook I have v:shobon:v

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

DaveSauce posted:

I have a 22" kettle and with the slow n' sear I can fit two racks of St Louis ribs without a rack but it's tight. With a rack it's not a problem.

What I do is turn the grate 90 degrees and mount the probe onto the grate handle using a binder clip so that the tip is about half an inch in front of the first rack. Air seems to circulate pretty well but you probably still want to shuffle the ribs around once or twice during cooking. You can't really get in to add more coal but I have never needed to add more coal for ribs.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Alright finished my first cook in 7 years. Other butt is still resting but I pulled the smaller one.

I had to wrap it before the bark fully set because I was on a time crunch.

We usually pull all the unpleasant chunks of fat out rather than shredding with claws.

Which can leave it a little dry...

Which is easily solved by adding some of the juice from the foil back to it

Yes, I put mayo on my BBQ sandwiches sometimes. Sue me.

Some help from my best friend, 'Sweet Baby' Ray

Finished product. I forgot to make slaw.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Doing a big overnight smoke on my WSM with a PartyQ controller. Last time it held steady through the night but this time I've been up twice so far. The first time the batteries died even though I started the cook with fresh batteries (will have to speak to the kids about putting old batteries in the drawer!), and now when I got an undertemp alarm. It turns out that it got very windy and rainy and the poor Q couldn't blow hard enough to keep the temp up. I cracked open a vent and it seems to be doing better.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Canuckistan posted:

Doing a big overnight smoke on my WSM with a PartyQ controller. Last time it held steady through the night but this time I've been up twice so far. The first time the batteries died even though I started the cook with fresh batteries (will have to speak to the kids about putting old batteries in the drawer!), and now when I got an undertemp alarm. It turns out that it got very windy and rainy and the poor Q couldn't blow hard enough to keep the temp up. I cracked open a vent and it seems to be doing better.
In the past I've wrapped a blanket around the smoker when it's windy and cold but rain might make that worse.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Just cracking a single vent open maybe 20% was all it needed to get going. It's been holding steady for the last 4 hours.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Turns out when I reseated one of the cables (USB C<->C between splitter and fan) I didn't notice damage to one of the ends. I tried replacing it with a short and an a long known-good USB C cable and both times the main control unit freaked out: lit all the segments, then switched to flashing all the segments against the real display in the "off" cycle.

I guess it's carefully calibrated for the resistance of the supplied cable or something, and not really doing USB signaling? Happily the replacement cables are only $9, a genuine mercy.

This exact thing happened to me, except my cables weren’t visibly damaged at all. I contacted thermoworks and they shipped me a new smoke and told me to keep my old one since it still works fine as just a thermostat on battery power. I guess it’s a known issue because the rep knew exactly what I was talking about. I’d give them a call, it was a painless process was on the phone less than 10 min.

I also fiddled with the cables and got it working temporarily again but at some point while doing a brisket the fan got stuck on, luckily I caught it.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
This weekend was forecasted to have good weather, so I figured I'd get one last smoke in this year before the weather sucks. Ended up with a brisket, chuck roast, and a couple bone/skinless chicken thighs from costco. I was most excited about the chuck since the pack I picked up had pretty insane marbling compared to every other pack I saw when I went shopping, including the "american wagyu" costco apparently now carries.

Beef went on at ~5:45 am, and the chicken at 10 am. I had the chicken for lunch--it was fine but not as good as when I've done whole chickens. The charcoal ended up running out or at least stopped holding 225+ before the beef was done while I was out doing something, so I ended up finishing it in the oven.

Brisket

Chuck

A couple slices of chuck roast from the part with the large amount of intramuscular fat

The chuck was just as good as I had hoped. It's not cut against the grain, but even then it's incredibly tender and almost melts in my mouth. A+ would do again

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Time for some election pork.

And away we go. Hickory today.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
store had some beef ribs. Same cook temp and timing as pork ribs? I was probably going to keep these simple and do a ton of S&P, but open to suggestions

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

THE MACHO MAN posted:

store had some beef ribs. Same cook temp and timing as pork ribs? I was probably going to keep these simple and do a ton of S&P, but open to suggestions

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/smoked-texas-style-bbq-beef-ribs-recipe

Also, still going on the smoker, both butts are now in the 190s.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

awesome, thank you.

Also hit post before thinking - any recommendations for good bluetooth thermometers that I can monitor on my phone? Meat and overall oven ones

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

THE MACHO MAN posted:

awesome, thank you.

Also hit post before thinking - any recommendations for good bluetooth thermometers that I can monitor on my phone? Meat and overall oven ones

Fireboard, Fireboard, Fireboard.
here's my current cook:
https://share.fireboard.io/E8E784

edit: actual site:
https://www.fireboard.com/

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 2, 2020

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

THE MACHO MAN posted:

If they’ve still got a big thick plate (1in+) of meat on top, follow that Amazingribs article. If they’ve had the meat trimmed off and it’s just bone and meat between, going to be much closer to pork ribs.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

24 hours later.
Fresh out the smoker, a bit under 200 on each but both passed the fork spin test.

Now they rest in the cooler.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

toplitzin posted:

Fireboard, Fireboard, Fireboard.
here's my current cook:
https://share.fireboard.io/E8E784

edit: actual site:
https://www.fireboard.com/

Seconding Fireboard. Personally, I’d avoid Bluetooth only thermometers. First, their range sucks. Second, even when in range, I always found that some power saving algorithm in iOS would always disconnect it after an hour or so, even with screens left on.

Look for something with analog/RF wireless (loving huge range, simple and reliable) or wifi (enables app usage, push alerts, etc).

Fireboard uses both wifi and Bluetooth (enables usage if the power is out!). I’ve had a great time with mine.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I like the new thermoworks smoke. It's about half the price but does only have one food probe and doesn't have all the same extra features

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Shredded and sauced

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This other brother won’t deny.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

toplitzin posted:

I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Shredded and sauced

Nice!

Glad I got a final smoke in before the weather got too cold. That pork is looking good!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

It's in the fridge for now.
Tomorrow I'll portion into 8oz packages, vacuum seal, and freeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

dangling pointer posted:

This exact thing happened to me, except my cables weren’t visibly damaged at all. I contacted thermoworks and they shipped me a new smoke and told me to keep my old one since it still works fine as just a thermostat on battery power. I guess it’s a known issue because the rep knew exactly what I was talking about. I’d give them a call, it was a painless process was on the phone less than 10 min.

I also fiddled with the cables and got it working temporarily again but at some point while doing a brisket the fan got stuck on, luckily I caught it.

I called in. Mine has been flaky a couple different ways. Anyways yeah, he said the splitter is a pile of crap and can cause damage to the Smoke. He said it will ship out today. They want the old one back.

edit: And oh yeah, 70 and sunny this weekend. Butt bliss here I come.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 3, 2020