Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
ritzy
jeniveeve
chrisbery
kumson
siblings samer and tamer
sparkela
christ
candida
laviticus
christinique
nickoles
blade
tabithas (male)

adding to my collection of place names:
russia
teheran
tanzania

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Vigilantly Vigorous posted:

Friends coworker named his kid Ronin Ash Ketchum.

Ronin, rhymes with Chopin.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Got an amber alert last night involving a dude named Prophet Marquis [Lastname]. Either the dude's parents really built up his sense of self-worth, or he's an insane person who legally changed his name because he thinks he's a French royal prophet.

(Either way, gently caress that dude, I hope the kid he took is found.)

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
There was a Dr. I. Hulicka :heysexy: that had an office near my school. Thankfully was a psychiatrist, not a ENT or gynecologist.

Giganticon
Mar 10, 2010

Pillbug
.... Zack Marlin suddenly passed away at the age of 34. He leaves behind his beautiful family, wife Megan, daughters Jerzi, Tinsley, and Rozalynn, and son Ronan as well as ....

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
A cool as hell last name: Mark Polymeropolous, from this article about intelligence staffers being terrified to gainsay Vladimir Putin or Russia in front of Trump

Does anyone speak Greek and can say what that actually means, cause it sounds like it should mean "Plastic City"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Polymer means "many parts" referring to the chemical structure of polymers, they are formed from the combination of many component molecues called monomers (one part) into long chains. -polous I think is just indicative of a patronym, so "son of" like -vich or -s(s)on in other languages.

So, I guess "Son of many parts" which is pretty mysterious and cool sounding also.

Polis would be city.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 22:44 on Oct 21, 2020

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Does that mean his mother was a ~whore~ ?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It could also specifically mean son of a guy called polymer.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
So his grandmother was the ~whore~ ?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

His grandmother was doctor frankenstein.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Phy posted:

A cool as hell last name: Mark Polymeropolous, from this article about intelligence staffers being terrified to gainsay Vladimir Putin or Russia in front of Trump

Does anyone speak Greek and can say what that actually means, cause it sounds like it should mean "Plastic City"

I'm Greek (but only speak a little) and I thought the same thing. Hehehehe.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

His grandmother was doctor frankenstein.

Uhh I think you'll find she was monster frankenstein
:goonsay:

e: because the moral of the story was the doctor was the real monster. Also he got his license revoked for practicing necromancy, so he's not a doctor.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
This isn't a bad name, but I stopped into a supermarket on a road trip several years ago and the cashier's name was Alpha Remington. That might be the most badass name I've ever heard. It sounds like an action hero.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I'm Greek (but only speak a little) and I thought the same thing. Hehehehe.

I always assumed you were Irish

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

I always assumed you were Irish

Nope, not even a bit. Well, probably a bit somewhere, but no. Egyptian Greek and Welsh, mostly.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Nope, not even a bit. Well, probably a bit somewhere, but no. Egyptian Greek and Welsh, mostly.

Can we request a name change for other goons? Flyytta Mcramsesgurnopolis.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Oh, I was gonna go with "Feta ferch Gurn" but I like that.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Are you Egyptian and Greek, or Egyptian Greek like Cleopatra? I didn't know the latter group was still around

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

Are you Egyptian and Greek, or Egyptian Greek like Cleopatra? I didn't know the latter group was still around

Yup, there's a Greek population in Alexandria today that somehow managed to stay through the Revolution, although they are obviously a couple thousand years beyond the Ptolemies by now. My grandmother's family comes from Alexandria, and according to 23andme I'm about 10% Macedonian in there specifically. No one in my family comes from any area that could be considered Macedonian, so that suggests intermarriage between a settler or emigrant with "native" Alexandrian Greeks. You can read about my most badass Alexandrian relative on Wikipedia! I never met him, but my mom says he wore a cape all the time and was probably autistic. His son unfriended me on Facebook because I swore too much! He also works for the NSA, so I'm fine with never speaking to him again.

Um, so, I guess the answer to your question is "both"?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Polymer means "many parts" referring to the chemical structure of polymers, they are formed from the combination of many component molecues called monomers (one part) into long chains. -polous I think is just indicative of a patronym, so "son of" like -vich or -s(s)on in other languages.

So, I guess "Son of many parts" which is pretty mysterious and cool sounding also.

Polis would be city.

BTW thank you for the good-rear end answer. I was thinking about it this morning and it is just nuts how much of the English language is demystified once you start picking up all the Latin and Greek root words. Somehow despite seeing the word about a million times and taking an organic chem course in university, I didn't catch the sense of "poly" in it.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

sticklefifer posted:

This isn't a bad name, but I stopped into a supermarket on a road trip several years ago and the cashier's name was Alpha Remington. That might be the most badass name I've ever heard. It sounds like an action hero.

It sounds like a razor. Or a vibrator.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46393501

quote:

Vocativ, a news and data website, published a piece in 2014 saying there were at that time 328 children in the US named "Abcde", according to the Social Security Administration.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

IIRC, the name crops up a lot in Hawaii. Not enough to be common, but it's definitely regional. I would love to know why.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

hyperhazard posted:

IIRC, the name crops up a lot in Hawaii. Not enough to be common, but it's definitely regional. I would love to know why.

Mr. Lobe posted:

When I was a child I was visiting an aunt and uncle who live in Hawaii, my aunt being of Hawaiian descent. I saw an airline worker woman with a name tag that said ABCDE, and I told my aunt, without a bit of meanness in my soul, "hey, I think there was a printing error with that lady's nametag". I don't know if the worker heard it, but my aunt was mortified.

She later explained that it was not uncommon for some Hawaiian natives some time ago to write that name on government forms when they were forced to do so after America colonized the island. Literacy in English was uncommon among the indigenous people. However, the name stuck around in following generations. I felt really bad after that was explained to me.

I don't think that's why that kid was named ABCDE though

I don't know how true that is, but there you go.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
phyllip
kabinet
finest
chitquita--i've seen chiquita, but idk where the extra t came from in this one
poppy
svelte
ahdream
theophilus
mackful
charmin--unfortunate

last name jenious

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
What's wrong with Poppy? All those flower names are coming back into fashion, we have a crop of em in my family.

Best surname around my town is Lickfold.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Agreed, Poppy seems perfectly normal. Than again, I feel the same about Theophilus, so take that as you will.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I recently learned that Richard Nixon took to his tricky ways as a means of getting back at one Dick Tuck and I love that google doesn’t wimp out and call him Richard:

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh
Christianné :rolleyes:

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

No loving way did someone name their child after a yeast infection. How cruel.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

prayer group posted:

There's a hotel in my city called the Don Candida and I laugh every loving time I see it.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

prayer group posted:

No idea about how it relates to the infection's name, but Candida is a (bit uncommon though) hispanic name and also a word meaning "innocent". The yeast has the same name over here, but nobody'd think of it if they heard the name.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Huh. The yeast isn't anywhere near the forefront of my mind when I hear the name. I immediately thought of the Bernard Shaw play.
Maybe we use the Latin name of yeasts less often in Australia :shrug:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jiru posted:

No idea about how it relates to the infection's name, but Candida is a (bit uncommon though) hispanic name and also a word meaning "innocent". The yeast has the same name over here, but nobody'd think of it if they heard the name.

Yeah I speak neither English nor Spanish, but I never would have associated that name with a yeast infection. Actually had to look it up.

Being an INTELLECTUAL I was actually reminded of the Voltaire novel

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah I speak neither English nor Spanish
I'm sure you're kidding but I'm also kinda tickled at the idea of someone who's been online so long they can shitpost fluently in a forum on a language they can't speak.

Belgians don't do the French thing of pretending they don't speak English right? (As an aside, one of my bucket list goals is to learn Belgian French purely to annoy French people in their own language).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I suppose it would be more accurate to say I don't natively speak them. When it comes to words that are used more rarely (especially things like birds and plants), that starts to matter.

Flemings will fall over themselves to reply to you in English, and Belgian francophones also tend to be a bit less chauvinistic in that regard than, say, Parisians. Good luck with learning Belgian French, I find that it's usually more logical than the standard variety, just be wary of some of the quirky expressions that were lifted straight from Dutch.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I say bird all the time.

Bird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Tomorrow, I have to sit in on a job interview with a man named Richard Leak.