Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

If he’s lucky he’ll have a gear collapse or something early in a takeoff run that totals the engine and airframe preventing him from being at a speed or altitude high enough to kill himself.

For his sake hopefully the gear collapse totally destroys the airframe and sets him back years. The amount of poo poo workmanship on that is astonishing. Like why the gently caress not take the burrs off of that pulley with a loving file? It'd take seconds when you pulled it off the lathe or before you installed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I didn't realize Elliot Seguin was the guy who crashed that Quickie with the r/c-class turbines into the airplane graveyard.

Maybe canards just need to be added to the list of exogenous factors affecting safe airmanship.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I would rather fly in that Finnish guy's homemade ski-plane with no ailerons or instruments than in this deathtrap

e: I would put money down that the air-cooled Volkswagen van motor in Tiira 1 is more reliable than this guy's homebrew modded diesel with backwards turbos

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 25, 2020

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Whether his heart beats is irrelevant, he's been dead since he decided that his plane can be salvaged

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sagebrush posted:

I would rather fly in that Finnish guy's homemade ski-plane with no ailerons or instruments than in this deathtrap

e: I would put money down that the air-cooled Volkswagen van motor in Tiira 1 is more reliable than this guy's homebrew modded diesel with backwards turbos

The Finnish guy seems to know what he has (which is awesome) while this guy thinks he's Burt Rutan and designs planes in real life the same way I do in KSP while putting less effort into his build and repairs than I do when I fix my lawnmower.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Sagebrush posted:

Have you a link to this?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I want to see a plane powered by a VTEC motor, just for the memes.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

simplefish posted:

Have you a link to this?

https://www.ilmailumuseot.fi/tuotteet.html?id=20170/334889

Of course the guy had experience building model airplanes, so that's probably a considerable headstart compared to the Raptor guy.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

MrYenko posted:

To get anything more meaningful than the current parking lot cameras catching pixelated views of crashes, you’d need a camera with enough zoom to matter. Probably at LEAST a 5x, which wouldn’t cost peanuts. Also, it now doesn’t cover the entire field of view you wanted, so it will either need an operator, or some way to automagically track moving targets; Again, not cheap.

Now at most fields, there’s probably only one place you can mount these things (you’re going to need more than one) so that they can see the entirety of all runways, and that’s the tower. Which is owned by the federal government. The FAA, specifically.

Anyone familiar with FAA equipment procurement (or government procurement generally) will immediately understand that this is an absolute non-starter. Also, at the end of the day all you’ve done is obtain video of plane crashes and incidents. Perhaps one in twenty will contain any information that couldn’t be easily obtained from the aircraft itself, or from interviews of pilots, controllers, and witnesses. It’s just a ton of work and ongoing maintenance to capture video of rare events that we don’t really have a hard time analyzing anyway.

You wouldn't mount to the tower. Depending on the airport you pole mount it to another building or near to the runways. Generally that simplifies your placement, although with cameras in the field it does add a need to ground bury the cables. That adds cost but trenching at an airport isn't usually a massive problem. And you could use an autotracking PTZ. They work for applications like this, but generally my preference is to use multiple fixed cameras with slightly overlapping fields of view. The cost of the project is gonna vary pretty wildly depending on airport but most of that will be due to labor rates that than materials costs. As projects I've done at airports go, it would be fairly cheap the budget perspective of an airport.

It's not never done, I've consulted projects like this at smaller airports that didn't have manned towers. Their concern was more about two airplanes colliding during take off or landing. And the military seems to like having them, along with some that are done for specialized training.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

^^^ :argh:

Nah.

He could also die on the ground next to the plane. Or in the ambulance. Or at the hospital.

Really there’s many possibilities.

It's a new take on Schrödinger's cat. We know the cat's location, but not its condition. We know the kit plane builder is loving dead, just not exactly where.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

Did he give a reason for the two turbos?

I'm up to July 2018 of the videos on his YouTube channel. He keeps running the engine for an hour then plugging numbers into a spreadsheet to figure he's getting 360hp. Wild.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Source4Leko posted:

The Finnish guy seems to know what he has (which is awesome) while this guy thinks he's Burt Rutan and designs planes in real life the same way I do in KSP while putting less effort into his build and repairs than I do when I fix my lawnmower.

I would say he actually puts an immense amount of effort into his build and repairs. It's his full time job, and he clearly gets a lot of work done on the airplane-shaped object, particularly for someone who's doing so much of the work solo.

The problem is that his hard labor isn't producing much of value because he's a Dunning-Kruger posterchild. He's designing and building planes like he's playing KSP, but isn't aware that there's more to it than KSP, and resists being told so.

Just look at this majestic reply to one of the many who've told him his compound turbo design is all hosed up. (Short version of the correct idea for a compound turbo: think about how a multi-spool turbojet or turbofan engine works. Cold gas flows through the largest compressor stage first, then through progressively smaller compressor stages as it's compressed further. Hot gas flows through the smallest turbine first, and then through progressively larger turbines as it expands. Anything else doesn't make sense.)

Peter Muller posted:

I took the advice of several different outfits on how to configure the compound turbos. Perhaps no one knew what they were suggesting and it's set up incorrectly. Either way, the hot side housings are identical in size so the order on that side should not really make a difference, they are both moving the same amount of exhaust. On the cold side I'm feeding small into big. 2867 into 2871. At max power the small one boosts about 6psi, the big one about 21psi. Now I don't really want to run much more than the 43psi total pressure that I'm running now. If I inject more fuel I get a lambda below 1 and black smoke. The setup is generating a measured 1000lbs of thrust. The aircraft accelerates well enough to move the mass as quick as most other GA aircraft. I've measured that as well. So, with enough thrust and not overheating and not running the turbine inlet temp over 1500f I'm quite happy that the powerplant is dialed in as much as it can be without a Dyno. I don't need to go to the trouble of putting it on a Dyno just to get a number. Anyway, that's my take on it. Your mileage may vary.

I guarantee that if he's not just outright lying about getting advice from several different "outfits", he didn't listen to it. They'd never have approved his idiotic equal size turbines, nor would they recommend small-to-large on the cold side. They'd also have told him that no matter what he did, he'd need to dyno it to develop the ECU map. (He's consistently refused to put his engine on the dyno.)

I wish the bolded was short enough to be a thread title. It's so good.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

BobHoward posted:

I guarantee that if he's not just outright lying about getting advice from several different "outfits", he didn't listen to it. They'd never have approved his idiotic equal size turbines, nor would they recommend small-to-large on the cold side. They'd also have told him that no matter what he did, he'd need to dyno it to develop the ECU map. (He's consistently refused to put his engine on the dyno.)

:psyduck:

Goddamn. I thought he was running two identical sized turbos. That he's running a small feeding a large is just amazing.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

you can't innovate if you just do what's tried and true / safe / known to work!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BobHoward posted:

Just look at this majestic reply to one of the many who've told him his compound turbo design is all hosed up.

He says it's a measured 1000 lbs of thrust, is there a video of him testing the thrust?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Ola posted:

He says it's a measured 1000 lbs of thrust, is there a video of him testing the thrust?

If there is I haven't seen it, but that doesn't mean anything since I can't be bothered to wade through hours of him waffling about things he doesn't understand.

I have read that his setup for thrust measurements is something like using the rear wheels as a pivot point and putting a load cell under the nose gear, then looking at the difference in observed "weight" on the nose gear between engine off and engine at full power. Seems like a plausible enough way to indirectly measure thrust, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's hosed it up.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It would be much more direct and effective to just chain the plane to a concrete wall with a strain gauge in the line. The value you read is your static thrust.

But buddy thinks his math is good enough to that he doesn't need to dyno the engine so obviously he isn't going to set up a proper thrust measurement either. His way will work and it is impossible for him to make an error

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm studying electrical engineering, not aeronautical engineering, but it seems like there would be way too many losses to be able to figure out the thrust of the engine just from the weight on the nose wheel.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

It would be much more direct and effective to just chain the plane to a concrete wall with a strain gauge in the line. The value you read is your static thrust.

But buddy thinks his math is good enough to that he doesn't need to dyno the engine so obviously he isn't going to set up a proper thrust measurement either. His way will work and it is impossible for him to make an error

I would not be surprised if he hasn't done this solely because it's be annoying to do with a pusher prop.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Your average bathroom scale is rated to 300 pounds so if he puts 4 of them in sequence...

E: I meant parallel. Obviously I am not qualified to measure the thrust on this majestic beast.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 26, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
One bathroom scale.

Use a lever to put it at a mechanical disadvantage.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Platystemon posted:

One bathroom scale.

Use a lever to put it at a mechanical disadvantage.

Sounds like that would need more math. Rejected.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Look, measuring thrust is real simple. I can't believe I have to explain this.

You hang the plane by its nose from the roof of the hangar using a scale, like the ones grocery stores have to weigh vegetables. Then you fire up the engine and see how much it decreases the weight of the plane. Like this:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BobHoward posted:

If there is I haven't seen it, but that doesn't mean anything since I can't be bothered to wade through hours of him waffling about things he doesn't understand.

I have read that his setup for thrust measurements is something like using the rear wheels as a pivot point and putting a load cell under the nose gear, then looking at the difference in observed "weight" on the nose gear between engine off and engine at full power. Seems like a plausible enough way to indirectly measure thrust, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's hosed it up.

Like Sagebrush said, you do it with a strain gauge and I thought it was a strict requirement on order to get your kitplane approved. I'm thinking it could be that he simply measured acceleration and worked it out from that, possibly taking certain liberties in rounding.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Been watching raptor guy for a while. I hope he succeeds but at this point that seems unlikely. He did put the plane on a strain gauge before he started taxi testing. You guys should quit giving him ideas of how to make this worse.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Ola posted:

Like Sagebrush said, you do it with a strain gauge and I thought it was a strict requirement on order to get your kitplane approved. I'm thinking it could be that he simply measured acceleration and worked it out from that, possibly taking certain liberties in rounding.

Could be.

You mention kitplane approval, which reminds me that I said something earlier ITT about the Raptor which I now know is not true. Despite the similarities, the Raptor fuselage, wings, and canards aren't derived from a Velocity kit at all. It is a new type.

Peter didn't do the design and analysis. That was someone else he either hired or convinced (I don't know which) to do the work for him. This is a good thing, since I doubt he could have designed an airframe or wing himself, much less a canard pusher configuration.

(However, his design chops have had an impact. One of the issues Wasabi mentioned is that neither the RC model nor the prototype as built match the original drawings, and he did not bother having the prototype configuration re-analyzed to predict handling qualities, stability, and so forth.)

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9njdYkhZUFc

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yikes.

This came up in my playlist after that. I've never seen it before but it looks like it's 6 years old
https://youtu.be/1DkZ3LlVRi4?t=31

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Thomamelas posted:

It's not never done, I've consulted projects like this at smaller airports that didn't have manned towers. Their concern was more about two airplanes colliding during take off or landing. And the military seems to like having them, along with some that are done for specialized training.

Sweden's got two commercial airports that are run using "virtual towers" - Höga Kusten (KRF/ESNK) was converted in 2015 to have ATC run out of Sundsvall. In december of last year, the country's newest airport, Scandinavian Mountains Airport (SCR / ESKS), opened as is purpose-built to use a virtual tower run out of the same place.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Canada's solution to that is "lol use MF procedures, bitch!"

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

PT6A posted:

Canada's solution to that is "lol use MF procedures, bitch!"

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-...chnologies.html

I think everyone is moving towards remote towers whenever they can get away with it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Now they just need to power them with those Soviet reactors they used for lighthouses for the ultimate in futurism.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Most of what I’ve seen of remote towers has been more of the “install a remote tower where there was previously no presence on the field, allowing for more expeditious movement of traffic” thing and a lot less of the “replace a manned tower with a remote tower and continue to run the same amount of traffic” type of thing. Even the above article is using it for Flight Service, and not as a full tower.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Most of what I’ve seen of remote towers has been more of the “install a remote tower where there was previously no presence on the field, allowing for more expeditious movement of traffic” thing and a lot less of the “replace a manned tower with a remote tower and continue to run the same amount of traffic” type of thing. Even the above article is using it for Flight Service, and not as a full tower.

Sweden is doing it for full towers, probably due to a combination of high seasonal variation (SCR is basically built just for ski traffic), low amount of GA traffic and high labor costs. All the ones they’re doing remote towers don’t have a lot of flights usually

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrYenko posted:

Yeah, we have remote aerodrome advisory services here and we have had for a long time, but that's very different in terms of legal obligations and capabilities compared to an actual "virtual tower."

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

PT6A posted:

Yeah, we have remote aerodrome advisory services here and we have had for a long time, but that's very different in terms of legal obligations and capabilities compared to an actual "virtual tower."

London City airport replaced their tower with a virtual tower last year, didn't they?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Safety Dance posted:

London City airport replaced their tower with a virtual tower last year, didn't they?

They did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii_Gz1WbBGA

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The US would be much more likely to just shutdown an entire airport than move to virtual ATC.

I'm shocked that Detroit City is still open (and Class D).

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zero One posted:

The US would be much more likely to just shutdown an entire airport than move to virtual ATC.

I'm shocked that Detroit City is still open (and Class D).

They don’t shut down the airport, just the tower. The airport can still run without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What happens if a plane is coming in NORDO with a virtual control tower?