Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fluffdaddy posted:

For the record I moved the thread to the goldmine

kungpaothereyago.avi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The biggest difference between c level mma and street beefs is the amount of money the criminals have but I get being bummed out by it. Really couldn't care about the thread.

I don't know what to say about yesterday. Stuff like this is why I ask questions about why we use the prob system and what the philosophy is behind it. If the point of the prob if to teach a lesson it seems the lesson was learned before the prob was needed. If it's to make a problem cool down it seems like everyone was already cool. If it's punitive punishment for the sake of punishment than you did it but what a goofy thing to do. It doesn't hurt to ask yourself why before you push the button. You should have a clear goal in mind.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I save probes for egregious stuff but like 95% of my probes given out are for comedy or bets, and I let the others in the thread either stamp out bad discussions, or if the majority of the thread are participating in something that doesn't actively break rules then let them have the fun. Eg. dunking on Brandon Schaub.

Sometimes offtopic discussions can be good and fun. It's how we got the saga of oildome.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 27, 2020

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Mekchu posted:

I save probes for egregious stuff but like 95% of my probes given out are for comedy or bets, and I let the others in the thread either stamp out bad discussions, or if the majority of the thread are participating in something that doesn't actively break rules then let them have the fun. Eg. dunking on Brandon Schaub.

Sometimes offtopic discussions can be good and fun. It's how we got the saga of oildome.

This is good moderating and I appreciate it.

I know the thread clearly states this is for on topic posts only and I know it was a derail, and I do not get too mad over sixers, but I find it very ironic I was probated for typing "Fat Shitrione," the very pun these subforums were established to protect.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, like it was a sixer so whatever. It just stands out as another weird incident where I think we stuck to the letter of the rules but no one can really point to how it helped.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Gumball Gumption posted:

If it's to make a problem cool down it seems like everyone was already cool.

Yeah, this is what confused me about it tbh. I don't know how many people reported Cav's post, but it didn't seem to derail the thread or anything. People just carried on talking about bad wrestling gimmicks and having a fun/interesting conversation. It was all just so unnecessary.

I'll throw my hands up and admit that I don't always get Cav's sense of humour, but more often than not I think they're funny and at times they've posted some really good quality stuff. I feel like that there might be a few quiet lurkers who really don't like Cav's posting style and this might explain why it was reported more than Liquid Communism's post, which in my view was potentially more disruptive to the thread but still, not really worth fretting over since it was simply passed over by almost everyone.

Maybe we just need to a way to help the more passionate regulars who have posted in this thread and the quieter posters of the subforum (I would probably include myself in this latter group) get along a little better, to avoid more silly "culture clashes" if you will. I don't know how you'd do it, but I don't think most people here act in bad faith, and at the same time some people just need to accept that their tastes in humour aren't going to match everyone else's. We are simply united by a love of people in shiny underwear and gangsters who get to hit each other in the head for a living.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Looking at the reports forum there were a couple people reporting cav's post for what that's worth, so I guess some posters had issue with it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
As the OP of that thread (whatever that's worth lol) I found Liquid Communism's post to be pretty spiteful and bitchy just because he thought Cav was making a joke entry just because it was about CM Punk. It really felt like LC was trying to dictate what Cav was allowed to like and allowed to not like which I'm not a fan of. Just cause you like Punk and I like Punk doesn't mean aren't allowed to think his gimmick was bad. I didn't report it cause I barely ever use that function except for slurs but it was a really weak post all the same.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

TBH I wasn't a fan of either post cause dumb poster slapfights suck, though tbh Id put a little bit more shade on LC because come on dude you're a mod.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Mekchu posted:

This is literally all I want from a moderator, this is the philosophy to have.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

KungFu Grip posted:

streetbeefs made me uncomfortable and reminded me of bum fights

Yeah same.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Junpei Hyde posted:

Looking at the reports forum there were a couple people reporting cav's post for what that's worth, so I guess some posters had issue with it.

i think it should be made plain to people to use the ignore function or to learn how to scroll past posts if they're not a fan of the poster instead of reporting every post they make like a knob.

e; especially since it turns into a mess every time. i don't think every report should be met with a probation unless its pretty obviously needed. sometimes a 'knock it off' pm or warning post in the thread works wonders. i think mekchu and brut have a pretty firm grip on things in the mma side of things, there are fewer posters sure but some very clashing personalities, and it pretty much self moderates pretty well.

Joey McChrist fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 27, 2020

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Joey McChrist posted:

i think it should be made plain to people to use the ignore function or to learn how to scroll past posts if they're not a fan of the poster instead of reporting every post they make like a knob.

Generally this is the course of action I'd recommend, yeah. Unless they start harassing people or some poo poo.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

for full transparency i reported LC's post after the fact, because it was my view that if cav's post was enough of a Lashing Out to be dinged, surely the instigation was as well. Sadly that was not agreed with.

I also hated the streetbeefs thread, just felt like a way to laugh at poor people & for lack of a better word "Dumb" people. i asked for it to be closed or moved basically immediately. Oh well lol

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Joey McChrist posted:

e; especially since it turns into a mess every time. i don't think every report should be met with a probation unless its pretty obviously needed. sometimes a 'knock it off' pm or warning post in the thread works wonders. i think mekchu and brut have a pretty firm grip on things in the mma side of things, there are fewer posters sure but some very clashing personalities, and it pretty much self moderates pretty well.

probably sounds mean, but no one in this subforum seems to know how to use the ignore function if how everyone reacted to rovert is any proof. I feel like enough people hated him posting that enough would have had him on ignore and any thread he posted in wouldn't have been a constant derail even from even his most benign posts. but maybe people dont use the ignore function because no one clicks on people's profile pictures to ignore people

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

Jerusalem posted:

Hey, I've put in a serious request to admins to consider exactly what action to take next re: moderation of FIGHT ISLAND. I'd been strongly considering stepping down in September to deal with a particularly busy period in my personal/professional life, but it coincided with all the Lowtax drama, and since then I've been trying to put in place at least one more moderator so I could take a step back or even step down as necessary. This latest incident kind of brings into fresh relief that it's probably for the best to make a change, both because there is a clear desire from some people for modding to be handled differently and also because a lot of the moderation stuff that people clearly, genuinely care about are things that I really don't. I'm not saying they're wrong to care, just that I don't and obviously that isn't working/meshing well, and it's far easier to remove me from the equation than anything else.

I don't know exactly when or how that will take effect, and I'll continue to mod and answer questions/feedback until it does, but I really think it's long overdue for a change for the good of the subforum (and myself!).

my feedback is that I've pretty much stayed out of FI because of all the weird prob drama since I came back to the forums. jerusalem, I'm sorry that things have been crazy for you, and I appreciate you making the move to hand off mod status because it seems like a change is probably appropriate. when/if you end up stepping down I hope you'll stick around because imo you're a cool person/poster

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I want J-Ru around as a guy who just posts about fake and real fights and I hope not having the millstone around his neck that is mod gets him to post more. Really my hope is that any future mods also just see themselves as people who are just here to post. Being mod should just mean you're the person the community trusts enough to be our bar bouncer and that's it. It's not a crown, it's not a weird title that makes you feel like you can't hang out with everyone else, you're just the poster, preferably one of many, who can say "hey, cool down"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

punk rear end spurious reports should be more probatable than standalone gimmick posts. It's poo poo like that which makes moderating hard.

e. and there should be a name and shame on it too

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
It can take a lot of time and effort sorting through the report queue if the reports are coming from threads you're not already reading, it's often not quite clear who actually started what or what the history is.

Because I want to err on the side of letting folks :justpost:, I want to state that while of course I want people to feel comfortable posting publicly about a bad probe, I also want people to feel comfortable bringing up situations that make them uncomfortable.

These are my thoughts but I'm not the one seeing the report queue so :shrug:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

CommonShore posted:

punk rear end spurious reports should be more probatable than standalone gimmick posts. It's poo poo like that which makes moderating hard.

I get the sentiment, and I honestly hate some of the spurious reports I've seen in this sub, but I hope people realise the optics that a name and shame system would have.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

part of self governance is the ability to determine the structure of that governance. let us vote on name and shaming imo

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

CommonShore posted:

It can't be understated what a terrible idea this is

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, I want J-Ru around as a guy who just posts about fake and real fights and I hope not having the millstone around his neck that is mod gets him to post more. Really my hope is that any future mods also just see themselves as people who are just here to post. Being mod should just mean you're the person the community trusts enough to be our bar bouncer and that's it. It's not a crown, it's not a weird title that makes you feel like you can't hang out with everyone else, you're just the poster, preferably one of many, who can say "hey, cool down"

Agreed. I like you, J-Ru, always have. I hope you don't just vanish. That'd make me sad.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Naming and shaming is just going to make everyone more mad about owning their posting enemies, it would be a disaster

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, it will just make people afraid to report stuff that really should be reported. I think spurious reports should just be taken as a reminder that not every report needs to have action. And sometimes they need an action but it's not a probe, it's just a gentle reminder or sending someone a heads up. Sometimes it's even just dropping in a post on a new topic and there goes the thread into the new topic, fight over.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

This is more of a QCS thing but i'm afraid to post there but I think a good middle ground could be a counter showing how many times a post was reported but definitely not with names attached that seems like it will only lead to further drama.

Also one time I made a report that shortly thereafter I realized I was reading the post entirely wrong and didn't know what to do so I made a second report to say my first one was wrong and to disregard it. Is there a better way to deal with this problem if I blow it again in the same way, maybe a PM?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

yeah a PM would be a good way of remedying the action. and ditto on not naming and shaming. that's just gonna lead to even more needless dumb drama about posting enemies.

just like, be smart about what you're reporting. ask yourself if its breaking rules or being gross and phobic or whatever first, and not just because you disagree with what's being said or dislike the poster.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Eat My Fuc posted:

This is more of a QCS thing but i'm afraid to post there but I think a good middle ground could be a counter showing how many times a post was reported but definitely not with names attached that seems like it will only lead to further drama.

A post can only be reported once. Unless it keeps a tally of how many times people try to report it after it’s already been reported but I don’t think it does.

Posted from my iPhone. 🦞🦡🐜🐐🐫🐊🦔

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Seth Rollins posted:

A post can only be reported once. Unless it keeps a tally of how many times people try to report it after it’s already been reported but I don’t think it does.

Posted from my iPhone. 🦞🦡🐜🐐🐫🐊🦔

🦞🦡🐜🐐🐫🐊🦔 - this my family now

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I think if people report posts, they should consider sending a pm to the person they reported, explaining why in a neutral tone. by no means should it be a requirement, but that's what I'm going to do from now on.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, it will just make people afraid to report stuff that really should be reported. I think spurious reports should just be taken as a reminder that not every report needs to have action. And sometimes they need an action but it's not a probe, it's just a gentle reminder or sending someone a heads up. Sometimes it's even just dropping in a post on a new topic and there goes the thread into the new topic, fight over.

For what it'sworth, the way the reports forum is laid out this attitude is encouraged, we can simply just leave a post for the admins saying "yeah this post doesn't require a probe or anything tbh"

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

yea ok posted:

if cav's post was enough of a Lashing Out to be dinged, surely the instigation was as well.

this here. I don't claim to "get" Cavauro but the jab at him seemed pretty rude to begin with

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I wonder why the guy who viewed him as a malicious gimmick poster out to ruin threads didn't fairly punish both parties.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Gumball Gumption posted:

I know I have sent reports (not really spurious) with the intent to have mods/IKs show up and just curb the situation rather than hoping for probes or the like. P sure mekchu at least had responded to one of my reports like that but idk it could have been reported multiple times.

Unfortunately most of the time it just resulted in a probe but at the same time I didn’t always put “please don’t probe” in the report or something but I tried to trust in judgement.

I believe most things can be talked through, rather than showing up and unloading 6 Hour lead into everyone present

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NienNunb posted:

I wonder why the guy who viewed him as a malicious gimmick poster out to ruin threads didn't fairly punish both parties.

Dude. He already explained why and stepped down as moderator at this point. We are a day past that incident and it was a 6er not a lengthy probation. I think it was a nad probation but this right here in particular is just beating a dead horse now. I'd rather non snippy remarks like this and LC to be the norm and just people offer solutions or remedies rather than trying tonshame someone for a bad move they made. The former helps, the latter just comes off as white noise.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MotU posted:

I know I have sent reports (not really spurious) with the intent to have mods/IKs show up and just curb the situation rather than hoping for probes or the like. P sure mekchu at least had responded to one of my reports like that but idk it could have been reported multiple times.

Unfortunately most of the time it just resulted in a probe but at the same time I didn’t always put “please don’t probe” in the report or something but I tried to trust in judgement.

I believe most things can be talked through, rather than showing up and unloading 6 Hour lead into everyone present

IKs cant see reports unless I am really bad at being an IK.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Mekchu posted:

IKs cant see reports unless I am really bad at being an IK.

Oh my b literally didn’t know. I guess we were just on the same wavelength. . .

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also Athanatos made a post in QCS or something. Basically, if a post is reported thats it. There's no more reports alotted to that post and you get the "this post was already reported" response.

I feel like that is an area in need of a lot of fixing but thats a code jockeys job and not something I can help.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

KungFu Grip posted:

probably sounds mean, but no one in this subforum seems to know how to use the ignore function if how everyone reacted to rovert is any proof. I feel like enough people hated him posting that enough would have had him on ignore and any thread he posted in wouldn't have been a constant derail even from even his most benign posts. but maybe people dont use the ignore function because no one clicks on people's profile pictures to ignore people

ignoring rovert was easy, ignoring all the poo poo-stirrers that cheered him on was much more difficult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I feel like this forum is over-moderated, especially as a sub of SAS which at this point is a fairly loosely moderated forum. I don't think that's Jerusalem's fault though, people here demand moderator intervention for so many things and get angry at the lightest tangents and are just so stuffy. In this scenario I think people are getting the moderation they're asking for.

Chill out everyone. It's so easy to just ignore most people who suck here, you don't even have to use the feature, just read their posts and ask yourself "why would I ever bother to respond to that?" and move on.