Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 minutes!

unlimited shrimp posted:

Let's say you came across a dilapidated old house that you might want to save if you could get it for the right price. What sort of due diligence would you have to do, given the state its in?

This is the kind of question that, if one has to ask it, they aren't equipped for this type of undertaking.

General guidance would be that it's worth the cost of the land MINUS what it will cost to demo the house. And that only if the lot is still buildable in a meaningful way after that. And could require a further discount with a well/septic/cesspool that will almost definitely need to be closed properly an replaced elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

mr.belowaverage posted:

I think this is the chat zone for this. Observe and discuss:

The virtual tour is a truly Lovecraftian labyrinth

Crossposted to the interior design thread. It didn't warranty the crappy construction thread, but share freely.

Fireplace is dope imho, furniture is bougie and tacky as gently caress... I thought it was a sunken floor at first but it’s stairs to to the outside, and I love the whole wall of windows in that room. I’m sure sunken floors are absolutely terrible in practice but the idea sounds interesting, just get a buncha pillows and instant couch... though I don’t a dedicated conversation pit would ever get much use. I really love recessed lighting, be better if the moulding wasn’t so prominent.

I love the lack of ambition in the upstairs bathroom... bathroom that size, why not put in a jacuzzi tub or something you’d enjoy more than an upholstered acrylic standard tub? It’s just all money spent in the wrong way to be ostentatious as possible, instead of focusing on the architecture or emphasizing the design and integration of what is clearly a very nice wooded lot.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

unlimited shrimp posted:

Let's say you came across a dilapidated old house that you might want to save if you could get it for the right price. What sort of due diligence would you have to do, given the state its in?

I'm guessing a structural or construction engineer to assess whether it's salvageable, and since its in a rural area, some sort of hydrogeological engineer to ensure a well can be dug. It's an old brick house as well, so maybe a mason to snoop around.

I'd probably be a couple grand in the hole just in determining if it can be saved?

edit:
Built between 1890 and 1910 I'm guessing but it's been empty for at least ten years, maybe more. The roof is shot, windows are shot, masonry looks decent overall except for a stair-step crack under a bay window. Don't know what the interior looks like at the moment but it'd have to be totally gutted.
I'm not an expert, but when the interior has been completely exposed to the elements and animals for 10 years, my understanding is you're hosed

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm not an expert, but when the interior has been completely exposed to the elements and animals for 10 years, my understanding is you're hosed

Yeah, you'd have a masonry shell, and you'd be building a new house inside it.

So, if you can afford the property, and afford building a brand new house, and about 25-50% extra for the inconvenience of building a new house without bulldozing the existing structure, and seismic retrofitting what's left, go for it, it'd genuinely be pretty cool to have a modern house in a very old shell.

E: to be clear, if the roof is failed for any significant period of time, the inside of the house is absolutely 100% trashed, you will never get the mold and rot out.

E2, and even if it's a house so old that the masonry is structural, that still means gutting the house and working with contractors who know how to work with old masonry, which means $$$. You probably do not want to see quotes for tuck-pointing.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 26, 2020

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Motronic posted:

This is the kind of question that, if one has to ask it, they aren't equipped for this type of undertaking.

General guidance would be that it's worth the cost of the land MINUS what it will cost to demo the house. And that only if the lot is still buildable in a meaningful way after that. And could require a further discount with a well/septic/cesspool that will almost definitely need to be closed properly an replaced elsewhere.

In this case, the "undertaking" would solely be paying a bunch of professionals to do the work, and it would solely be to preserve this house because the land itself is nothing special.

We have the time, potentially the money. I just hate seeing a house like that go to ruin.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

unlimited shrimp posted:

In this case, the "undertaking" would solely be paying a bunch of professionals to do the work, and it would solely be to preserve this house because the land itself is nothing special.

We have the time, potentially the money. I just hate seeing a house like that go to ruin.

it might be worth it for free and no back taxes etc. You're looking at a LOT of money, again you're saving money on the masonry shell, but then spending money gutting that house 100% inside and starting fresh. It'd probably be cheaper / better to bulldoze it and start fresh. Because you're likely not going to be able to gut the house insides without keeping structural "integrity" of whatever's left over inside so the outer walls don't just come apart.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

unlimited shrimp posted:

That’s a neat old house worth saving. It’s a shame that big tree out front appears to be dead.

Idk where you are, but you need to talk with your local permitting/planning people to get some idea what will be involved as far as bringing things up to code. That will vary tremendously based on locality. Getting a good contractor that works on historic houses to look at it will be helpful too-they’ll have a better sense of the building’s condition.

There may be some exceptions code-wise for it being an old house, but you might also be restricted in what you can do because it is an old house. They might, for example, require you to bring the whole place up to modern code insulation wise (new windows everywhere) but also require that you keep the style of the original windows (true divided lights-no vinyl = much much more expensive windows) and keep the original wood shake roof, which is also going to be very expensive to replace vs. putting on a new asphalt roof or w/e. The whole place probably has to be rewired and replumbed as well. Those all add up to turn a $200k remodel into a $400k rebuild, and finding them out halfway through can be a real shock and put a major hole in the finances.

I think remodeling historic houses has a pretty good track record for destroying happy marriages.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think remodeling historic houses has a pretty good track record for destroying happy marriages.

The good news is neither party will have enough money for good attorneys, and no money to split!

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
She can take the farmhouse, I'll take the rusted out Volkswagen.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

There may be some exceptions code-wise for it being an old house, but you might also be restricted in what you can do because it is an old house.

Do not buy any house listed on a 'historic register' or protected by some local historical-preservation laws. It's like signing on to the most ridiculous and restrictive HOA imaginable, where every exterior decision (what color trim can I use) must be reviewed and approved by some group of petty tyrants. Expect that every approved material or design decision made by this group will be the most expensive option possible, and that even completely reasonable requests (can I knock down this outbuilding that is literally about to fall over and kill someone) will be rejected because it destroys some unexplainable historical significance.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

unlimited shrimp posted:

That property has negative actual value. The house is gone. The roof has been leaking for far too long.

So et's say it would be $400k to build a similarly sized house on a clear lot in that area. That house will cost a minimum of $800k to rebuild. Because this is far form reno territory. This is totally structurally compromised building that should be bulldozed unless it has significant historical significance.

Yes, it's a shame to see homes like that go, but once they have been neglected for this long they're already gone. It takes consistent maintenance to keep things like that in anything that could be considered preserved condition rather than just rebuilt.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Okay so Step 1 is winning the lottery, got it.

Thanks for the info, though. Poor house.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

unlimited shrimp posted:

All of the not-masonry in that house is shot. The masorny might be shot. If you can't do this work yourself then I wouldn't suggest it. Hire an engineer to tell you how hosed it is if you must, but you should expect 6 figures in foundation work, not including the demolition and haul off of the not-rocks.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Don't listen to these nay-sayers, according to ancient rites if you can stay in that house overnight on Halloween it is immediately yours.

... FOR ETERNITY

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
What if my barometer for success is not being grover?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

H110Hawk posted:

All of the not-masonry in that house is shot. The masorny might be shot. If you can't do this work yourself then I wouldn't suggest it.

Anyone who can do that work themselves wouldn't.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you like that house build a copy. Bonus you can put it wherever you like and change the layout and insulate it etc etc.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, you could always hire an architect to come out and take all the measurements and produce a floor plan for a future build.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

B-Nasty posted:

Do not buy any house listed on a 'historic register' or protected by some local historical-preservation laws. It's like signing on to the most ridiculous and restrictive HOA imaginable, where every exterior decision (what color trim can I use) must be reviewed and approved by some group of petty tyrants. Expect that every approved material or design decision made by this group will be the most expensive option possible, and that even completely reasonable requests (can I knock down this outbuilding that is literally about to fall over and kill someone) will be rejected because it destroys some unexplainable historical significance.

I used to live in a house in a historic district under these sorts of restrictions and it wasn't a problem at all. You could do whatever with anything not visible from the street; the real limitations were on visible structural changes (you could paint any color you wanted, for example). The only really stupid poo poo we had to deal with was a length of chain link fence that was protected because it had been in place when the property was declared historic.

I'm sure it depends on where you are :shrug:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

Wallet posted:

I'm sure it depends on where you are :shrug:

It very much depends on not only where you are but who happens to be on the historic architectural review board at that time and what flavor of petty tyrant they are.

The tried to block me, the goddamn fire marshal, from requiring an exterior sprinkler connection on a building where our adopted codes clearly required an exterior sprinkler connection on that side of the building. The hubris of some of the first day experts you'll run into on those boards is mind blowing.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
My leased apartment has mushrooms growing in the wood in the bathroom. And the floor is so slanted I can roll an empty toilet roll from one side of the room to the other. Seriously. Somethings loving wrong with this shared townhouse because everything is slanted slightly towards the center of the house. And its a nice house. Old 1920s. But my landlords are rich. And Im poor. Im just going to lol when they gently caress up their property investment because I know they know about this, but I have no clue why they do nothing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Major foundation repair is a $50k+ job so if the house isn't actively sinking then it's very much a case of "gently caress it"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Yeah, there's nothing to be done as long as someone is willing to pay rent to stay in the place.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
50k?! Google was throwing me 3-4k estimates. :eyepop:

What would my compensation be if the floor should one day collapse?

zaepg fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 26, 2020

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

zaepg posted:

50k was way over my guess-timate. However Ive never seen prices for this kind of work.

Edit - What would my compensation be if the floor should one day collapse?

I rented a place where they broke the contract. My compensation was no penalty freedom to end the contract. I did cancel it and made sure part of that agreement was full reimbursement of the deposit. So you could get that. Or you could call code enforcement on them. Might get the place condemned.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

zaepg posted:

If you can't find cracks big enough to stick your finger into then I doubt you're going to get out of your lease the easy way. A tilty floor is a weak-rear end problem for an old house and if it's not actively getting worse then the owners are far more likely to fix it with leveling cement than by installing 30 concrete piers.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 26, 2020

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Wallet posted:

You could do whatever with anything not visible from the street; the real limitations were on visible structural changes

Ask me about owning a home where a PO built an interior wall in front of a second storey window to install tile and a bathtub because they were either rejected or never bothered to try to get the architectural review board to give them a permit to remove the window.

Luckily its my ex's problem now, because its eventually going to break or leak. Its been that way for at least 25 years.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

zaepg posted:

your "compensation" would be being swallowed by the earth you fuckin wingnut

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
if only you had the backing of a pile of donated time and materials. Looks like this season is a real dump to start

https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorTOH/status/1320841602567426055

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Qwijib0 posted:

if only you had the backing of a pile of donated time and materials. Looks like this season is a real dump to start

Hell yeah I can't wait to see this

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Qwijib0 posted:

There were so many of these beautiful Queen Anne houses in horrible disrepair where I lived in CT, all dating back to the 1800s.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Fallom posted:

Hell yeah I can't wait to see this
Hopeful they don't do a bunch of rich people bullshit but I'm not holding my breath. They need to do another normal house season again, like Detroit.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

stealie72 posted:

Hopeful they don't do a bunch of rich people bullshit but I'm not holding my breath. They need to do another normal house season again, like Detroit.

What, you don't like it when they have a 110-year old Japanese artisan restore a newel cap?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Fallom posted:

What, you don't like it when they have a 110-year old Japanese artisan restore a newel cap?
Thats fine. Its when they're shopping for 75k worth of counters, and are adding a 5th bedroom so the only child can have a playroom.

I get they are showing off new tech, and new tech is expensive, but how about showing how it works in a 2,000 square foot house.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

stealie72 posted:

Thats fine. Its when they're shopping for 75k worth of counters, and are adding a 5th bedroom so the only child can have a playroom.

I get they are showing off new tech, and new tech is expensive, but how about showing how it works in a 2,000 square foot house.

:thunkin:

TVIV/DIY&H 'This Old House' live watching/discussion thread??

I just want to be Tommy Silva. Nailgun Norm should stick to being a house carpenter, but Tommy is the poo poo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tommy inspires me with his love of using jigs instead of constantly measuring everything

And I get sad watching newer episodes and seeing Roger trade his spinal cord out for a solid metal pole

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Fallom posted:

Tommy inspires me with his love of using jigs instead of constantly measuring everything

And I get sad watching newer episodes and seeing Roger trade his spinal cord out for a solid metal pole
Literally every time I make a jig or use a story stick for something:
Me (to my wife, with massive dad energy): "I'm using a jig, just like Tommy!!!!"

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Hell yes.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I just want to be Tommy Silva. Nailgun Norm should stick to being a house carpenter, but Tommy is the poo poo.

I stan for Norm

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I got a TOH Insider subscription so my wife and I could watch every season of TOH and Ask TOH and New Yankee Workshop...which is fine and all, but it also came with a Silva Bros. shirt so I can cosplay Tommy. Too bad my mustache game will never be as strong :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

stealie72 posted:

Ask me about owning a home where a PO built an interior wall in front of a second storey window to install tile and a bathtub because they were either rejected or never bothered to try to get the architectural review board to give them a permit to remove the window. N

What kind of maniac can’t layout a house better than to want to brick up a window FFS.

stealie72 posted:

Detroit was cool, and they were really very nice houses, and only *normal* cause of Detroit.
My treasured memory is the woman who described her new home as being “all natural”.

Maybe just do someone like me, buying an old grandma home in need of a rewire & new floors, and not a multi millionaire building 3x the original floor space in top spec addons, and gutting all the functional bits because using 30,000 tons of new concrete to make a massive well insulated house is more eco-friendly somehow than just not.