Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

But radiation is scary.

And is also part of loving nature.

Cosmic Rays create something like 40 curies of Tritium a day. But oh god, Fukushima might release a 10th of that, plus some Radioactive Carbon-14!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

CommieGIR posted:

Cosmic Rays create something like 40 curies of Tritium a day. But oh god, Fukushima might release a 10th of that, plus some Radioactive Carbon-14!

I can't hear you over the bulldozer I'm clearing joshua trees with

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Pander posted:

I can't hear you over the bulldozer I'm clearing joshua trees with

Sorry, I can't understand you when my valley is being flooded for this giant hydro electric dam.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CommieGIR posted:

I'm as big a fan of nuclear power as anyone but even I think representing concern about Fukushima as being about tritium and c-14, and not about dozens of megacuries of iodine and cesium is pushing it (by which I mean, "blatantly dishonest"). Mercury's natural, too, but we still don't want to find it in our fish.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

I'm as big a fan of nuclear power as anyone but even I think representing concern about Fukushima as being about tritium and c-14, and not about dozens of megacuries of iodine and cesium is pushing it (by which I mean, "blatantly dishonest"). Mercury's natural, too, but we still don't want to find it in our fish.

IAEA is also overseeing the release, and they haven't complained. So no, its not as CNN/Greenpeace is reporting "Going to change human DNA" which was a loving scaremonger article. That's what this response was about. And Radioactive Iodine and Cesium in the ocean is basically diluted to the point where even megacuries isn't really a major concern.

And Mercury in fish, while some is present from normal organic forms, is largely found in excess caused by humans because we're morons that used it as a fuel additive.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 26, 2020

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CommieGIR posted:

IAEA is also overseeing the release, and they haven't complained.

The IAEA thinks radioisotope release from Fukushima is a matter of negligible concern? IAEA has not "complained" about Fukushima? Huh?

quote:

So no, its not as CNN/Greenpeace is reporting "Going to change human DNA" which was a loving scaremonger article. That's what this response was about.

The correct response to ridiculous scaremongering is not turning into Dr. Pangloss.

quote:

And Mercury in fish, while some is present from normal organic forms, is largely found in excess caused by humans because we're morons that used it as a fuel additive.

Enh? You're thinking of lead. Human emissions of mercury mainly come from burning coal. And yet, the amount of mercury emitted by burning coal is smaller than the amount of mercury emitted naturally from volcanic sources. The point is "It happens naturally!" is not an excuse for doing more of it.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 26, 2020

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Why the green party sucks and AOC is phenomenally good.

https://twitter.com/HowieHawkins/status/1320368404746874880?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

The IAEA thinks radioisotope release from Fukushima is a matter of negligible concern? IAEA has not "complained" about Fukushima? Huh?

You know what I meant, don't twist it.

Also: LMAO Dr. Pangloss, right. Anybody correctly pointing out that radioisotopes in wastewater that's been heavily treated will be quickly diluted in the ocean is just the other contrarian.

Phanatic posted:

Enh? You're thinking of lead. Human emissions of mercury mainly come from burning coal. And yet, human emissions of mercury predominantly come from burning coal. And yet, the amount of mercury emitted by burning coal is smaller than the amount of mercury emitted naturally from volcanic sources. The point is "It happens naturally!" is not an excuse for doing more of it.

True, I stand corrected there.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Also: LMAO Dr. Pangloss, right. Anybody correctly pointing out that radioisotopes in wastewater that's been heavily treated will be quickly diluted in the ocean is just the other contrarian.

Again: If people are concerned about the release dozens of millions of curies of fission fragments from Fukushima, the correct response to that is to point out that while this was a truly staggering releasing of these isotopes and they are definitely ones to be concerned with, this will be massively diluted in the ocean (eventually, that doesn't mean you want to go fishing right offshore at Fukushima when it was leaking a shitload of contaminated water) and have little effect on anything. It's not to strawman that objection and say "Idiots, cosmic rays create 40 curies of tritium per day."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

Again: If people are concerned about the release dozens of millions of curies of fission fragments from Fukushima, the correct response to that is to point out that while this was a truly staggering releasing of these isotopes and they are definitely ones to be concerned with, this will be massively diluted in the ocean (eventually, that doesn't mean you want to go fishing right offshore at Fukushima when it was leaking a shitload of contaminated water) and have little effect on anything. It's not to strawman that objection and say "Idiots, cosmic rays create 40 curies of tritium per day."

And that's what we're doing:

https://twitter.com/whatisnuclear/status/1320475416809754626?s=20

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Owling Howl posted:

It’s not that it’s not a valid point but we, as in society at large, have made our position quite clear: We do not care.

One favored talking point among conservatives, including Trump, is that windmills kill birds. One may surmise that Donald Trump cares a great deal for birds. However, a brief examination of Trump Tower reveals no mitigation efforts to prevent birds from striking windows although it’s not a difficult or complex problem – simply applying decals can measurably reduce impacts. One might also expect Trump to favor a reduction in cat ownership or to at least encourage people to not let their cats roam freely. No such efforts have been undertaken in 4 years. It is quite the conundrum! Trump so yearns to protect birds but does nothing even when solutions are cheap, simple and would barely affect quality of life of anyone.

It is what happens when you oppose a thing and then go looking for arguments against it. Trump does not care whatsoever about birds and we all know that. He does not like windmills and simply uses any and all arguments against them without consistency. It’s blatant, absurd hypocrisy.

Our position on land use is as clear as our position on birds. We use millions of hectares to grow tobacco, cocoa, tea, coffee and wine although we don’t really need it and could easily reduce consumption by simply taxing it. We put swathes of land under asphalt although we could stack parking spaces and drastically reduce land use. We could encourage multi-story buildings and discourage houses but we don’t.

Our position can be loosely summarized as scouring the earth if the alternative is mildly inconvenient. Solar power merely continues and extends this policy in accordance with our values, reprehensible as they are. This sudden interest in land use vis-à-vis solar power is like keeping discos and bars open and then complaining that soup kitchens spread covid-19.

I think you're way off-base here. I've never once heard a conservative bring up land use when talking about solar power. Rather, the same environmentally-minded people who care about all of the land use issues you mentioned (and more) recognize that bulldozing natural spaces for solar power is not being done out of necessity, but because it's more affordable than tapping into our mostly untapped urban and suburban surfaces. You are falsely accusing these individuals of not complaining about parking lots and suburban sprawl when they've already been loudly complaining about these issues for literally decades.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

A big part of the "free real estate" thought when it comes to rooftop solar is that the land and buildings have already been developed and structurally set-up to support electrification, including the last mile to the place the power is being generated. That's not negligible.

Bulldozing hills in the desert to build solar farms doesn't just require you to grade the hills and drive foundation piles for the mounting systems, it also means building roads and high voltage distribution lines and switching stations and industrial inverters to carry that power to where it's needed, potentially hundreds of miles away.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Infinite Karma posted:

A big part of the "free real estate" thought when it comes to rooftop solar is that the land and buildings have already been developed and structurally set-up to support electrification, including the last mile to the place the power is being generated. That's not negligible.

Bulldozing hills in the desert to build solar farms doesn't just require you to grade the hills and drive foundation piles for the mounting systems, it also means building roads and high voltage distribution lines and switching stations and industrial inverters to carry that power to where it's needed, potentially hundreds of miles away.

Yes it’s called building infrastructure.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Saving the planet by mowing down the wildlife for "infrastructure"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

GlassEye-Boy posted:

what's the point of this post? the dude above you was just clarifying an aspect that some people might not consider.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

mediaphage posted:

what's the point of this post? the dude above you was just clarifying an aspect that some people might not consider.

sure it’s something to consider, but it shouldn’t be a hindrance to building infrastructure and new energy production.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

GlassEye-Boy posted:

sure it’s something to consider, but it shouldn’t be a hindrance to building infrastructure and new energy production.

i disagree with you on this point but this is a better response than your snark above

well, rather, i'd think it a concern rather than 'hindrance' but either way an important item.

does anyone have data on the efficiencies of doing PE solar panels on cities vs trying to build one of those thermal solar plants, out of curiosity? i feel like panels are the better way to go these days but i haven't looked at that in forever

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

mediaphage posted:

i disagree with you on this point but this is a better response than your snark above

Didn’t mean for it to come by quite that snarky, but any project of that scale is going to require similar levels of build up, be it solar, wind, Coal, nuclear.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

And the counterpoint is that it's tough to transport that much material and workers into existing cities. The transport apparatus is already sized to bring in the stuff the city needs and for the workers and inhabitants to get around. In other words, there are also bottlenecks to simply putting solar panels on the top of every building. And then maintaining them and replacing them as they fail. Maybe you'll wind up building additional housing units in the city for all those workers.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Phanatic posted:

And the counterpoint is that it's tough to transport that much material and workers into existing cities. The transport apparatus is already sized to bring in the stuff the city needs and for the workers and inhabitants to get around. In other words, there are also bottlenecks to simply putting solar panels on the top of every building. And then maintaining them and replacing them as they fail. Maybe you'll wind up building additional housing units in the city for all those workers.

But at some point it seems we have to admit that there is no getting around it. Either invest into the tech and commit to significant work or we end up with endless talk about what could be the perfect solution.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Phanatic posted:

Solar panels are really pretty space-efficient for how long they last. Given that they last ~30 years, working on roughly 3% of the solar capacity in a city in any given year isn't a huge ask in terms of infrastructure-supporting-infrastructure.

An issue I was considering recently is that so many houses have ridiculous decorative rooflines and eaves and gables that absolutely destroy the ability to place an effective solar system on them. And almost every flat roof commercial building has preposterous distributions of equipment on the roof in random locations that prohibit simple rooftop solar there as well. Just changing permitting guidelines to make new construction solar-friendly would massively, massively decrease costs and increase performance.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Infinite Karma posted:

Solar panels are really pretty space-efficient for how long they last. Given that they last ~30 years, working on roughly 3% of the solar capacity in a city in any given year isn't a huge ask in terms of infrastructure-supporting-infrastructure.

An issue I was considering recently is that so many houses have ridiculous decorative rooflines and eaves and gables that absolutely destroy the ability to place an effective solar system on them. And almost every flat roof commercial building has preposterous distributions of equipment on the roof in random locations that prohibit simple rooftop solar there as well. Just changing permitting guidelines to make new construction solar-friendly would massively, massively decrease costs and increase performance.

Would legislation which mandates that all new built homes in solar efficient regions must have solar pre installed be at all possible in the current Us political climate?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Infinite Karma posted:

And almost every flat roof commercial building has preposterous distributions of equipment on the roof in random locations that prohibit simple rooftop solar there as well. Just changing permitting guidelines to make new construction solar-friendly would massively, massively decrease costs and increase performance.

Why do you think that stuff is placed on the roof? It's not just random. Perhaps putting it in other places would be more expensive?

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Would legislation which mandates that all new built homes in solar efficient regions must have solar pre installed be at all possible in the current Us political climate?

I don't think "do even more stuff that prices homes out of the reach of poor people" should go over well in any political climate.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Why do you think that stuff is placed on the roof? It's not just random. Perhaps putting it in other places would be more expensive?

It's not random - but there has also generally not been any thought given to optimizing for solar either. It's possible to build things slightly different, without adding much (if any) to the costs, and "unlock" a lot more solar as a result of it. The ROI on doing that is IMO worth it.

Phanatic posted:

I don't think "do even more stuff that prices homes out of the reach of poor people" should go over well in any political climate.

Never not gently caress people with $5/Watt solar on new construction like they do in California because the developers can get away with it.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

GlassEye-Boy posted:

There is a law in California, at least, that mandates solar on all new built homes, but the guideline doesn't require it be done with efficient generation in mind, or to provide enough power for the building. I see a lot of 2.7kW systems, which are so undersized that nobody would ever buy one if they could get something bigger.

Phanatic posted:

It's poo poo like air conditioner units and vents that could have ducts and wiring run laterally for literally tens of dollars in order to make open spaces for solar. Or just arranging things in straight lines if they're going to be in the way.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Phanatic posted:

climate change will do more to price homes out of the reach of poor people than sensible regulations ever could

and in the regions where PV makes any sense (e.g. the American southwest) PV makes homes more affordable, not less - assuming the owner plans to use electricity

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

mediaphage posted:

does anyone have data on the efficiencies of doing PE solar panels on cities vs trying to build one of those thermal solar plants, out of curiosity? i feel like panels are the better way to go these days but i haven't looked at that in forever

I think Lazard's Levelized Cost of Energy study is probably about the best you're going to find. Looks like utility-scale PV solar currently clocks in at $29-$42 per MWh, whereas rooftop solar ranges from $74-$180 for Commercial/Industrial and $150-$227 for residential. Concentrating solar with storage is at $126-$156.

This is modelling current prices and practices, undoubtedly things will shift over time but I would be very surprised if utility-scale solar loses its dramatic advantage in our lifetimes.

e: PV solar under current policy makes homes cheaper on the whole, but it does increase upfront costs (in exchange for savings down the road) and that will price some folks out of the market.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 27, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

FreeKillB posted:

I think Lazard's Levelized Cost of Energy study is probably about the best you're going to find. Looks like utility-scale PV solar currently clocks in at $29-$42 per MWh, whereas rooftop solar ranges from $74-$180 for Commercial/Industrial and $150-$227 for residential. Concentrating solar with storage is at $126-$156.

This is modelling current prices and practices, undoubtedly things will shift over time but I would be very surprised if utility-scale solar loses its dramatic advantage in our lifetimes.

e: PV solar under current policy makes homes cheaper on the whole, but it does increase upfront costs (in exchange for savings down the road) and that will price some folks out of the market.

cheers for this. honestly they're way closer than i imagined (for non-utilities, that is) but it's not like i'm going to go home to the farm and build a molten salt thermal power plant.

christ i don't think i realized grid-scale solar was that cheap already.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
For cities solar panel windows could be a convenient option if the dimming isn't an issue. They wouldn't be much more work than installing normal windows, just some extra cabling.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Saukkis posted:

For cities solar panel windows could be a convenient option if the dimming isn't an issue. They wouldn't be much more work than installing normal windows, just some extra cabling.
Transparent solar panels are kind of moronic, since the whole point of solar panels is absorbing as much sunlight as possible instead of letting it pass through like glass does.

Yes it's better than reflecting window tinting, but even if the PV part was free, it seems unlikely that the extra cost and complexity to install DC wiring throughout all the walls connecting the windows, and all of the safety concerns associated make it worthwhile compared to dedicated PV panels on non-transparent surfaces.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Infinite Karma posted:

Transparent solar panels are kind of moronic, since the whole point of solar panels is absorbing as much sunlight as possible instead of letting it pass through like glass does.

Yes it's better than reflecting window tinting, but even if the PV part was free, it seems unlikely that the extra cost and complexity to install DC wiring throughout all the walls connecting the windows, and all of the safety concerns associated make it worthwhile compared to dedicated PV panels on non-transparent surfaces.

Most of the light emitted by the sun is outside of the visible spectrum. So it's really like you're preventing a lot of additional heat from passing through the window, because the photons in those wavelengths became DC current instead. Not very cost effective but the principle is sound

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Infinite Karma posted:

i think you're suffering from a little failure of imagination here, which happens to all of us, sometimes. transparent solar is super cool, and it's not like you're likely going to be replacing all of your home's windows with it. but as construction (especially in urban cores) happens, whether new or to-the-studs refurbs, it would be easy to build in, and no more dangerous than your standard wiring jobs that push 230V+ through walls.

there's a good overview - if kool-aid stained - on some of the options here https://solarmagazine.com/solar-panels/transparent-solar-panels/

i really want to laugh at the solar blinds, though an ideal max of 100W isn't too shabby tbh.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 27, 2020

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Infinite Karma posted:

For smaller housing rooftop solar is better option unless you don't want the structure on your roof. But for highrises and especially glass-facade highrises transparent solar would be good option.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ars writeup of the most recent EIA report on utility scale batteries: https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/10/us-grid-battery-costs-dropped-70-over-3-years/

quote:

Between 2015 and 2018, average project costs decreased from $2,152 per kilowatt-hour of storage to $625. Costs will need to drop much more for grid batteries to scale, but that’s a huge improvement in a short period of time.

Average costs (per kilowatt-hour capacity) dropped about 70 percent from 2015 to 2018.
Enlarge / Average costs (per kilowatt-hour capacity) dropped about 70 percent from 2015 to 2018.

By the end of 2018, the US had 869 megawatts of battery power capacity and 1,236 megawatt-hours of energy capacity. (Power is the rate at which the batteries can supply electricity, while energy is the total amount it can supply when going from full charge to empty.) EIA also has installation data for 2019, which saw the addition of another 150 megawatts/450 megawatt-hours. And in just the first seven months of 2020, yet another 300 megawatts of power capacity were installed.

EIA doesn’t see this slowing down. It expects installed battery storage to increase by 6,900 megawatts “in the next few years”—a figure ambiguous enough to allow for a rapid spike in planned projects.

As I’ve noted earlier EIA also trends more conservative on price declines and deployment rates than actually bears out.

Also the point that “grid services” is a complex category where batteries can better serve some needs than large thermal plants:

quote:

Batteries aren’t just used to soak up solar generation during the afternoon and release it in the evening. They can provide a number of unique grid-stability services, which is what a number of these early projects were built for. By quickly varying its charge or discharge rate, a battery can help regulate frequency for a section of the grid. In a similar buffering role, batteries can act as a sort of waiting room on busy transmission connections, storing electricity until capacity opens to send it down the line. Both of these services prioritize power (watts) over energy (watt-hours).

Another service is “black start” capability—a back-up contingency in case of outages to help generating plants spin back up. While this is rarely (if ever) needed, utilities are willing to spend more on these small-scale, specialized kinds of safety nets.

But with prices dropping, the economics of adopting significant amounts of storage to pair with cheap but variable generation are improving.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

QuarkJets posted:

Most of the light emitted by the sun is outside of the visible spectrum. So it's really like you're preventing a lot of additional heat from passing through the window, because the photons in those wavelengths became DC current instead. Not very cost effective but the principle is sound

While most of the light emitted by the sun is outside the visible spectrum, most of the light that reaches the ground (and is usable for solar power, thus excluding radio waves) IS in the visible spectrum. Evolution would, after all, favor designs that were good at detecting the light that reaches the ground.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Realistically batteries have yet to be installed for storage in any quantity. I feel safe in saying the vast majority of battery capacity installation has been towards stabilizing services discussed above. Even the 100WM installation in South Australia bought at the height of lack of capacity panic was actually bought for stabilizing the increasing amounts of wind on that grid.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

While most of the light emitted by the sun is outside the visible spectrum, most of the light that reaches the ground (and is usable for solar power, thus excluding radio waves) IS in the visible spectrum. Evolution would, after all, favor designs that were good at detecting the light that reaches the ground.

this is incorrect. at the earth's surface, 52 - 55% of the sun's energy is infrared. 42 - 45% is within the visible spectrum, and 3 - 5% is UV.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Realistically batteries have yet to be installed for storage in any quantity. I feel safe in saying the vast majority of battery capacity installation has been towards stabilizing services discussed above. Even the 100WM installation in South Australia bought at the height of lack of capacity panic was actually bought for stabilizing the increasing amounts of wind on that grid.

A gigawatt / a gigawatt-hour of storage in 4 years seems like “any quantity” to me. Places it up there with nuclear in the US :v:

And besides, frequency stabilization or stabilizing renewables is a perfectly viable use for batteries, as we’ve seen by the rapid rise of PPAs for solar/wind+batteries.

The future grid will involve a lot more of these synergistic interactions instead of a old model of one single large thermal plant providing all the services (and hoping it doesn’t trip).

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

mediaphage posted:

this is incorrect. at the earth's surface, 52 - 55% of the sun's energy is infrared. 42 - 45% is within the visible spectrum, and 3 - 5% is UV.

Current photovoltaics are designed to operate from around 400 nanometers to 1000 nm. That is in the visible light spectrum and a small amount of infrared, and that short range of wavelengths is half of the light energy that reaches the ground.

If you want to capture light energy in the infrared spectrum then you need to get materials that can work from 750 all the way up to 2,500 nanometers. There are also absorption lines in that huge range that give you next to no light reaching the ground, making engineering for those frequencies extremely inefficient.

There's a good reason why most eyes do not operate outside of the visible spectrum, and when they do they only go slightly outside of what we can see. The rest of the wavelengths just require materials that can work on a wide range of frequencies which isn't really technically feasible and very expensive if you do accomplish it.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

That's not true.

The answer lies in the area under the shaded curve; the area under the visible fraction of the curve is smaller than the area under the rest of the curve (by a ratio of about 2:3).

The human eye is not optimized to absorb as many photons as possible, it's optimized around maximizing contrast with as few photons as possible while also trying to maximize resolution. The photovoltaic effect does not care about contrast or the diffraction limit so it's fine to absorb those SWIR photons, but in the human eye this would hamper our ability to perceive detail. We see this problem in astronomy all the time (source: I am an astronomer and I work in blue to LWIR wavebands)

:eng101: On the UV side, our eyes are capable of picking up UV but humans and other long-lived mammals evolved a lens that blocks those higher-energy photons, probably because they're more trouble than they're worth (e.g. cellular damage caused by UV light leads to selection pressure favoring individuals who evolved this lens).

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 27, 2020