Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Number_6 posted:

It still bugs me that LG has trouble manufacturing OLED panels with really clean uniformity. Some have near-black uniformity problems, but what bothers me even more is the magenta and/or yellow tinting that a lot of them have. It really shows up on a scene with snow or sand, or on black-and-white programming.

the banding is really noticeable too and none of the reviews/analyses ever mentioned it

i splurged on one of these with my covidbux and while the blacks are nice i hate, hate uniformity issues and it has both that faint grid pattern in light/bright colors and vertical banding in near-black ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Got my Sony A8H today and I am shook. I didn't think there would be that big a difference from a B6 or C7 but OLED has actually come quite far in the past few years. Excellent uniformity, vastly improved motion handling, superior brightness, the works. No real banding I can see, even on a gray test. I am very, very happy.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Three Olives posted:

My point is, if paying $800 more for deep blacks and lower peak brightness is worth it to you or you are so wealthy that $800 is just meaningless, by all means buy a OLED TV, buy the LG rollable one that just went on sale for $87,000, whatever.

But you are completely deluding yourself if you believe a OLED TV is a long term investment because it is "future proof", it absolute is not in any sense of the word, 4 years from now you will just have an out of date 4 year old TV with the same brightness tradeoffs and possibly severed OLED degradation. Hell, maybe it is just straight up broken, OLEDs are not immune from design defects, maybe just buy a high end QLED TV and an iPad.

Ah yes my eyes will vastly evolve in the next 5 years to make this TV obsolete. Like no poo poo there will be improvements, but they are getting incremental and not massive like 480->1080->4k->etc. A 4 year old OLED is out of date? Thats bullshit.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Remember when 3O posted a completely unnecessary picture of his sideways TV three separate times just begging for someone to comment on it? Lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Three Olives posted:

Huh, no ads on mine yet:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Is Three Olives the same guy who used to brag on here about his rich lifestyle in the late 2000s? If yes then why is he moaning about the OLED price difference itt

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Idk I'm guessing because be bought a lovely $250 TV and now everyone in the thread is saying don't buy the lovely TV spend the extra on an OLED trust me it's worth it so now he feels dumb.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Is Three Olives the same guy who used to brag on here about his rich lifestyle in the late 2000s? If yes then why is he moaning about the OLED price difference itt

Yup

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

American McGay posted:

Remember when 3O posted a completely unnecessary picture of his sideways TV three separate times just begging for someone to comment on it? Lol

if he was really rich he'd have three of them mounted side by side in portrait mode and then run a spanned display across them (gets you pretty close to a 16:9 format, seen it done a lot with PC monitors)

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Got my Sony A8H today and I am shook. I didn't think there would be that big a difference from a B6 or C7 but OLED has actually come quite far in the past few years. Excellent uniformity, vastly improved motion handling, superior brightness, the works. No real banding I can see, even on a gray test. I am very, very happy.

What are you guys doing with your old TVs?

I'm going to get an OLED to replace my LED, but I only have one place in my house for TVs this big. How's the used 1080 LED market on Craig's List?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Grey posted:

What are you guys doing with your old TVs?

I'm going to get an OLED to replace my LED, but I only have one place in my house for TVs this big. How's the used 1080 LED market on Craig's List?

I get 4-5x the hits on Offer Up or FB marketplace than I do on craigslist these days.

Just price it to move and it'll get sold by the end of the weekend.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
How do you price a TV that's over 8 years old? I have a 60" Panasonic Viera and it's hard to figure what it would be worth when it lacks so many of the features that new TVs come with now.

What are good options for donations? I'm wondering if there are any places that would need a donation but folks don't often think about.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just hop on wherever you are planning on selling it and look for comparable sets. Ebay also has a "sold" filter but with TVs it's tough because you're looking at wither local pickup or shipping options.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Listerine posted:

How do you price a TV that's over 8 years old? I have a 60" Panasonic Viera and it's hard to figure what it would be worth when it lacks so many of the features that new TVs come with now.

What are good options for donations? I'm wondering if there are any places that would need a donation but folks don't often think about.

local school, library, community centre, humane society.

But I sold my 8 year-old 51" Samsung E6500 plasma the day I put the ad up on FB marketplace, as I priced it to move ($300 CAD, settled for $250).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Listerine posted:

Lol I have the same old TV as you that i'm about to replace.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I gave my old Panasonic plasma to an employee of mine who's just got his own place.

Also got a once-top-notch 720p Pioneer Kuro that I think my wife is going to take to use at work.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I have a television in the room adjacent to my PC. I may be able to run a long hdmi into it but I was wondering if there was another low latency, low performance cost solution to mirror my desktop onto this tv. I want my whole desktop mirrored, not just certain things like movies.

Would a roku tv support this?\

edit: I solved my own issue: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081KTBM1C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Skyarb fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 24, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Oh man, the Panasonic chips that literally every receiver manufacturer is using for HDMI 2.1 support have a hardware defect that prevents 4k120 and 8k60 from being displayed at all.

quote:

As c’t reports in the current issue of c’t 23/2020, a suspected breakdown of the chip manufacturer Panasonic Solutions (meanwhile taken over by Nuvoton Technology) ensures that, according to the current state of knowledge, all HDMI 2.1-compatible receivers from Denon, Marantz and Yamaha are not able to transfer videos in these ultra-high resolutions to the TV without errors with certain players. The TV screen then remains black due to the HDMI 2.1 glitch.

According to research by c’t, this problem also affects receiver models that are currently still in development – including the avantage models from Yamaha, which have been expected for a long time. Onkyo / Pioneer and Sony are also said to have bought the aforementioned HDMI chips from Panasonic Solutions; these companies have not yet announced any AV receivers with HDMI 2.1.
Replacement chips are scheduled for the middle of next year. So yeah, basically don't buy a "2.1" receiver for another 18-24 months.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

qirex posted:

Oh man, the Panasonic chips that literally every receiver manufacturer is using for HDMI 2.1 support have a hardware defect that prevents 4k120 and 8k60 from being displayed at all.

Replacement chips are scheduled for the middle of next year. So yeah, basically don't buy a "2.1" receiver for another 18-24 months.
Wow. Thanks: I was wondering if I was going to buy a new receiver for my new TV and PC system. But for now I'll stick with my 7.1 headset.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

qirex posted:

Jesus, good on me holding off on PS5, Nvidia 30 series and a new monitor for now.

That's an insane flaw, though, how the hell does someone not catch that.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 24, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Lack of sources to test properly.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

I think so yeah, and I was wondering the same thing.

Lol at these HDMI 2.1 receivers. At least the Denon receivers still aren't really widely available.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Wow, that sucks to say the least. I have one of the new HDMI 2.1 Denons the x4700h . Wonder how the manufacturers/vendors will respond to this.

I wonder also why the article seems to imply the issue may not be there with the PS5.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so my fios box updated recently. i guess everyone got that. in any case, it now tells me if there's a 4k version of the program i'm watching. i tried it out, and it seems 4k is insanely dark. it looks clearer, sure, but it's way darker than my normal mode.

any idea what this is? a cable issue? my tv?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Best sound at for my CX that’s under $200 ? Always have just used tv audio and I need to change that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

tonic posted:

Best sound at for my CX that’s under $200 ? Always have just used tv audio and I need to change that.
Vizio Soundbar

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Vizio Soundbar

Specifically from Costco.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ultimate Mango posted:

Specifically from Costco.

:hmmyes:

Soundbars at Costco fall under their satisfaction guaranteed electronics policy so if it fails then you can return it.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

In three days, a 65” CX will be mine. This corrects my mistake from about a year and a half ago, where I settled for a 55” OLED. I really appreciate this second chance.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

FilthyImp posted:

:hmmyes:

Soundbars at Costco fall under their satisfaction guaranteed electronics policy so if it fails then you can return it.

Since I plan to get the CX from Costco, this sounds like a good idea. At least I have a spare optical cable

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Island Nation posted:

Since I plan to get the CX from Costco, this sounds like a good idea. At least I have a spare optical cable

If you can get a Soundbar, check if it has an option for HDMI. A HDMI cable produces better sound than an optical cable.
(Or at least my PS4 tells me that I have the option for better quality sound when I use a HDMI.)

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I know OLEDs have the better picture quality, but as someone who likes to have the news channels in the background, the burn in issue is a deal breaker.

I may revisit in a few years once they've fixed that issue. If it is fixable to begin with. The TV guy at Best Buy told me OLEDs will always have issues with burn ins due to how the technology works, but that for most people it's worth the tradeoff for better quality

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I have MST3K channel on Pluto TV on in the background all the time and no bots burn in yet!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

GreenNight posted:

I have MST3K channel on Pluto TV on in the background all the time and no bots burn in yet!

Black doesn't really burn in on OLEDs. There can be differential aging, but it's only now just STARTING to show up very very very faintly in slides after 122 weeks on the rtings torture tests.

As for news networks, I will never understand the wanting of people to transform their living space into the gate area of your local airport.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

God damnit, the Sony A8H I was delivered from Greentoe is gray market. Only intended for Mexico. gently caress me...

Nut Better
Feb 17, 2011

:same:

God damnit, the Sony A8H I was delivered from Greentoe is gray market. Only intended for Mexico. gently caress me...

I just ordered my LG CX from there minutes ago... Hopefully a different retailer

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
What's different about the gray market Mexico version? Is it just a matter of warranty potentially not being honored?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah they won't honor your warranty. Compontent wise it's the exact same set.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I mean, that seems like potentially a big deal and something that Greentoe should compensate you for. Especially since they tout that your sale will be from a reputable dealer with a full warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

bull3964 posted:

Black doesn't really burn in on OLEDs. There can be differential aging, but it's only now just STARTING to show up very very very faintly in slides after 122 weeks on the rtings torture tests.

As for news networks, I will never understand the wanting of people to transform their living space into the gate area of your local airport.
Couldn't the TV companies eventually come out with software to address this issue from the front end? I know a lot of games have options for removing burn ins, why couldn't the TV do the same?