Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I think if Japan or China told me their country invented French fries (yes I heard this from someone in Korea) I would probably groan just as hard

edit: yes and it was an adult who seemed normal at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Worst I've ever heard is that ppl were shocked that MLB isn't a clothing brand like the stores in Korea make it out to be, in fact the biggest baseball org in the world. Then again in that context who cares?

Kosh Naranek
Mar 8, 2008

Understanding is a three edged sword. Your side, their side, and a pair of ruby slippers.
61 unread posts on the Korea thread wtf is happening, does it live?

Korea is awesome, I'd move back if I could. Though I only have experience from a foreign job/salary and traveling back and forth. But I really miss that country, and the food.

I'm invited to a wedding there in March, but that's covid-dependant if travel is safe or not, but if I go I hope to see you guys who are still there. We can visit all of Alex' favorite rooftops and smoke cigars.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Japan's talking about reopening tourism in April next year. I haven't seen anything from Korea but given that they don't have Olympics pressure, if I were them I'd wait to see how Japan's goes before making a decision.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I asked this in USPOL but I was wondering what an expat/native Korean perspective on this. How do Koreans or you feel about Trump's handling of North Korea?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Japan's talking about reopening tourism in April next year. I haven't seen anything from Korea but given that they don't have Olympics pressure, if I were them I'd wait to see how Japan's goes before making a decision.

I don't think tourism ever shut down.
It is just limited to those that can leave / return to their home country and also afford a 2 week quarantine on top of the regular travel costs and time.

For just about every issue Koreans would prefer Biden over Trump except for dealing with North Korea. That is his one actually good thing, being more reasonable than any other US president with the north.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
USPOL kept telling me that Trump just legitimatized Kim while getting nothing in return.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

USPOL kept telling me that Trump just legitimatized Kim while getting nothing in return.

As opposed to anyone else that got ??? In return? Are sanctions a gain?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Average Koreans either A) Don't care about reunification or B) Don't want North Koreans loving up their job market. The general feeling I get is that people know Trump is a joke and didn't really accomplish anything.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nullscan posted:

B) Don't want North Koreans loving up their job market.

This is mostly what it is from my experience. People are onboard with a reunification, but not if it shatters the SK economy.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

nullscan posted:

The general feeling I get is that people know Trump is a joke and didn't really accomplish anything.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah nobody wants reunification except the corps salivating over having access to lots of North Korean slave labor. Nobody cares about or likes North Koreans, and they know how hard German reunification was--and that East Germany was much less hosed up than NK is, so it would be a lot harder for Korea.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

With most of the population that remembers relatives in the North dying off, chatter about unification is really going to get even quieter.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i forgot to look this up but someone mentioned there wasn't a strong anti-american sentiment, and that's only true recently up to a point. there's a significant anti-US strain of thought in lefty Korean discourse, and there was that "Fuckin' USA" song which came out in the early 00s but was still known enough to be a meme among my younger students 10ish years ago. no one's going to give you poo poo to your face about it, because we are not our country, but just know that they know everything bad the states have done.

Grand Fromage posted:

Where it gets silly is claiming Hangeul is the most "scientific" writing system or it perfectly reflects spoken Korean or any of the other nonsense. It's an alphabet. It works for its language. It has flaws like anything else does. It's truly terrible at trying to write other languages in, but I also don't think you can fault an alphabet too much for being bad at writing languages it was not designed to be used for.

i had the experience of hearing both of these claims immediately before launching into a discussion on the difficulties in pronouncing the stressed consonants and how the vowel sounds have started to overlap for a few characters. i love hangul because there's something about fitting 3-4 characters into a single figure that i find deeply soothing. you know those gifs of containers being filled exactly to the brim? it's like that. The dorkiest possible source of ASMR.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I dunno where you lived, but I spent my whole time in Gyeongsang and while it's a bit off for Seoul dialect, it's much further off for Gyeongsang. We only have six vowels in the good part of Korea. :colbert:

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

The only vowel my wife knows is "야!"

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

E_P posted:

The only vowel my wife knows is "야!"

it really do be like that sometimes

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Is there a go-to recipe for the 100 day cake? Like, when there were a bunch of Baek-ils at my daughter's daycare they all brought these cakes and as best I can tell they are deok but lol all the recipes I can find are that gross thing my spouse likes where I soak a bunch of seaweed and fish in a broth. This is sweet from a western perspective as opposed to a bunch of sweet-and-savory flavors combined where it is too sweet but, like, supposed to be savory.

Does that make sense? I may not be articulating myself well since there is a lot going on in my house right now and it is just screaming and yelling and no bedtime and I'm so tired. But this is like a thing I need to do?

Please help.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

is it this steamed tteok kind of thing?

https://www.yumofchina.com/korean-white-steamed-rice-cakes/

that's what we had at my nephew's 100 day, but there were a lot of different cakes and tteok dishes there so I don't know if that was the "real" one or what

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
THANK YOU!

Yes, that looks just like what I need only I have to make a creepy clown face or something with food dye but I think that's just for fun. Going to go with a rainbow.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Does anyone have some Korean nighttime story apps? I'm in over my head and I'm exhausted. I just want to keep my baby in daycare. I'm so tired. I want to keep the language development going but I don't speak it. My spouse doesn't either. We're probably coming out the other end as jesusites but for now we're just trying to keep a good thing going. Please help.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

what in the world

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Yeah sure dude right here: http://forums.somethingawful.com

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Incelshok Na posted:

Does anyone have some Korean nighttime story apps? I'm in over my head and I'm exhausted. I just want to keep my baby in daycare. I'm so tired. I want to keep the language development going but I don't speak it. My spouse doesn't either. We're probably coming out the other end as jesusites but for now we're just trying to keep a good thing going. Please help.

I don't have kids but I would think you'll probably have more luck on Facebook. I know here in Daejeon there are groups for moms and parents and whatnot that would probably be more knowledgeable than a bunch of neckbeards. I'm sure there are similar local groups wherever you are.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i don't think that's an earnest post, i think an exiled D&D poster was looking to cause trouble. If not, then crap another racist white missionary couple just adopted an asian baby.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
how many goons still left in Korea?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

20 to 30ish? We've taken in some non goons to the kakao, and some confirmed goons don't talk in there anymore so it's hard to estimate. I'm still here forever though.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nullscan posted:

20 to 30ish? We've taken in some non goons to the kakao, and some confirmed goons don't talk in there anymore so it's hard to estimate. I'm still here forever though.

Building up a roving army of warrior dogs to scavenge the countryside once the apocalypse comes.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

only a handful left from that kakao id list in the op

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Does Kakao still limit notification badges to 300? Last time I was in chat every time I finished a class and checked my phone the notifications would be maxed out.

Also, are most of the folks in the chat in Korea these days?

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Kakao still maxes out at 300 unread, but our chat is far, far less active.

I ran down the current chat list (31 members) and about 20 of them were still in Korea, but not all of them are goons.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Google drive warns that Kakao id list spreadsheet is in owner's trash :smith:

cryptoclastic posted:

Does Kakao still limit notification badges to 300? Last time I was in chat every time I finished a class and checked my phone the notifications would be maxed out.

Also, are most of the folks in the chat in Korea these days?
300 max unread badges per chat room. Might wanna clear chat history from time to time as there will be piles of pics and videos if you don't.

As for people remaining in Korea, there aren't many left. Maybe 10 goons?

Aesis fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 26, 2021

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Only the finest quality goons remain.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think I'm the most recent addition and I joined the chat 5 years ago :smith:

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Welcome to the dead g** forum kakao.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

A buddy of mine and me want to move to Korea for a year. He was looking at housing and apparently the most common renting situation is paying two years rent in advance? That sounds like a terrible deal. How did you guys arrange a place to live?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've never heard of paying rent in advance. If your employer isn't arranging it, you have to pay key money which is basically a deposit (insured by the local government, be sure to get that). Then you pay rent. There are some apartments where this is fixed, and others where the more deposit you pay, the lower your rent is. The key money's going to be at least a few thousand USD but you do get it back when you move out.

If you don't have savings for that, there are places like officetels which just rent without the key money. Those are usually shittier studios but not always.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Good to know, thanks gf. Is the dresscode really strict? We're both looking for something in it.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

What are you looking to do for employment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah, dress code will depend entirely on the field and your specific employer. Probably best to assume it's more formal than you're used to, but there's no way to say.