Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Infinite Karma posted:

*opponent tutors for Opposition Agent with their Maralen of the Mornsong*

I, a gentleman, flash in my own Opposition Agent, stealing your Opposition Agent before you have the chance to lock me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I see it as a way to screw over the player with the expensive deck and that's always a good time.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Scheming Symmetry.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Wishclaw Talisman too.

portd
Nov 2, 2015
Hey! I am pretty new to this game and am really leaning towards Commander. Unfortunately I have had no one to play with other than my poor wife (she has been very gracious about learning and playing though, so yay), but also no one to really learn from. I have been mostly playing with commander pre-cons and planeswalker decks, watching lots of games on youtube, and lately reading through this thread. I was playing Arena a bit too, to learn, but I don't care for it that much.

I had made a deck for myself that is best described as a pile of b/w cards but after some research I have a new version of it and would love some feedback.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/CFBLn22Il0CeSzVq74IFhg

I like the mood of Orzhov. Wealthy assholes playing with life. It's like permanently dusk with some gothy halloween vibes.

This deck tries to do the following:

## Infinite Creature Removal + Infinite Life Drain
Painter's Servant + Teysa, Orzhov Scion + (optionally Blood Artist or Cruel Celebrant to drain opponents life)
You need 3 white creatures on the board (maybe via Martial Coup or Finale of Glory). Use Painter's Servant to make all creatures black. Sac those creatures with Teysa, Orzhov Scion to create infinite tokens to feed back to Teysa to remove all opponents creatures. With triggering Blood Artist or Cruel Celebrant to drain opponents life totals as well.

## Aristocrats
Create tokens, sac tokens, drain opponents, maybe gain some life to drain more from opponents. Use tools like Bastion of Remembrance, Exquisite Blood, Sanguine Bond, and Proper Burial to amplify the effects. Vito, Thorn of the Dusk Rose would also help.

## Life Gain/Drain Infinite Combo
Get Sanguine Bond and Exquisite Blood on the battlefield, and then trigger the Blood Artist by killing an opponents creature, or sac a creature and let Cruel Celebrant trigger the loop.

Ultimately I want to build a deck that is fun to play with and that I could use to play with other people. It's one thing, I think, to build jank to play at home 1v1, but another to build some jank that I can play with other mtg players.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

portd posted:

Ultimately I want to build a deck that is fun to play with and that I could use to play with other people. It's one thing, I think, to build jank to play at home 1v1, but another to build some jank that I can play with other mtg players.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/aXYIMohg1U6P9VL7Nt89AQ

Here's an Orzhov deck, I have an article coming out about it in a day or so on goonhammer.com, I'll send or post the link

pseudanonymous fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 27, 2020

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

portd posted:

Hey! I am pretty new to this game and am really leaning towards Commander. Unfortunately I have had no one to play with other than my poor wife (she has been very gracious about learning and playing though, so yay), but also no one to really learn from. I have been mostly playing with commander pre-cons and planeswalker decks, watching lots of games on youtube, and lately reading through this thread. I was playing Arena a bit too, to learn, but I don't care for it that much.

I had made a deck for myself that is best described as a pile of b/w cards but after some research I have a new version of it and would love some feedback.

This honestly looks pretty good.

I'd make the following changes, though.
-Helm of the Host
-Greed
-No Mercy
-Revenge of Ravens
-Proper Burial
-Finale of Glory
-Luminous Broodmoth
-Twilight Drover
-Woe Strider

+Darkest Hour
+Pitiless Plunderer
+Disenchant
+Night's Whisper
+Retribution of the Meek
+Bitterblossom
+Dreadhorde Invasion
+Blind Obedience
+Erebos, Bleak-Hearted

Also try to get one of the new Black/White flip lands.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Thassa's Oracle uses "look at", not "search".

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

pseudanonymous posted:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/aXYIMohg1U6P9VL7Nt89AQ

Here's an Orzhov deck, I have an article coming out about it in a day or so on goonhammer.com, I'll send or post the link

If you already have Triseklion, consider adding Mikaeus the Unhallowed. Instant win.

portd
Nov 2, 2015

Toshimo posted:

This honestly looks pretty good.

I'd make the following changes, though.
-Helm of the Host
-Greed
-No Mercy
-Revenge of Ravens
-Proper Burial
-Finale of Glory
-Luminous Broodmoth
-Twilight Drover
-Woe Strider

+Darkest Hour
+Pitiless Plunderer
+Disenchant
+Night's Whisper
+Retribution of the Meek
+Bitterblossom
+Dreadhorde Invasion
+Blind Obedience
+Erebos, Bleak-Hearted

Also try to get one of the new Black/White flip lands.

Nice, thank you!

I think I understand the replacements.

Darkest Hour works well with Ayara, First of Locthwain and to help Erebos, Bleak-Hearted.

Pitiless Plunderer can generate some mana. I recently saw a combo with Pitiless Plunderer + Revel in Riches + Temporal Extortion to win with treasure tokens, which kinda feels on theme.

Night's Whisper instead of Greed. Probably don't need Greed when I have tutors and other card draw opportunities. Bitterblossom and Dreadhorde Invasion to generate tokens each turn. Blind Obedience to slow opponents down. Erebos for card draw and a big indestructible creature.

I do have Brightclimb Pathway // Grimclimb Pathway in there :)

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Gynovore posted:

If you already have Triseklion, consider adding Mikaeus the Unhallowed. Instant win.

It is, it's just so expensive cmc wise

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

portd posted:

I think I understand the replacements.

Darkest Hour works well with Ayara, First of Locthwain and to help Erebos, Bleak-Hearted.

Darkest Hour also makes Teysa generate Black spirits. So, if you sacrifice a spirit to something, you immediately get another one. Infinite creatures to sac.

portd
Nov 2, 2015

Toshimo posted:

Darkest Hour also makes Teysa generate Black spirits. So, if you sacrifice a spirit to something, you immediately get another one. Infinite creatures to sac.

Oh!

That's awesome. Thanks for clarifying

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Gynovore posted:

Thassa's Oracle uses "look at", not "search".

right but because it's part of a combo that wins the game, and a lot of competitive decks have been relying more and more heavily on it as their primary and sometimes only win condition, Opposition Agent functions as both a blowout against decks that use it by removing their wincon and also a way to win yourself by taking it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

The deck looks good. I don't see too many clunkers in there.

If it's in the budget, you can free roll a second combo with Painter's Servant in the form of Grindstone. it only kills one opponent at a time, but you also don't need anything else to make it work except the mana to activate it Give players the experience of why Painter's Servant was banned!

Likerwise, if you can get one, Diabolic Intent could be fun, though it could end up being dead weight if you end up wiped.

As far as mana goes, I kinda want to see at least two more ramp artifacts. I see the curve is pretty low, but only 4 of them do anything if you get board wiped so you might stall out. I'd suggest Everflowing Chalice and Mind Stone, but that's really a matter of personal taste. As long as it costs 2, it's fine. As for cuts, it's hard to say. I'd say cut big Teysa, but that's obviously a pet card. I guess I don't love Revival Revenge but it's hardly bad.

At least you're playing enough lands. Still, Castle Ardenvale might be a fun add. With the number of basics it's semi-free, and can offer you that single creature in situations where you just need to sac something, anything. Or, if you want it to always be untapped and have additional up and down side, Westvale Abbey.

Speaking of lands, I'm a big proponent of Buried Ruin, especially if you have important pieces. I think you could float that in this deck to get your Altars back if need be. Players aren't stupid; they will absolutely break your toys if they can, and this gives you one more shot at them, or even Painter's Servant.

After that, all I can think about is sort of odd additions since it's all pretty tuned as it is. In that department: A funny trick would be to replace Anguished Unmaking with Generous Gift. It has the added benefit that you can occasionally use it in an emergency to give yourself a creature. Unless your meta really needs exile, of course. Similarly, one Reassembling Skeleton might also be a cute addition, if all else fails as a rude sort of backup plan. With that, a sacrifice outlet and Grave Pact you would make some enemies.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

worth knowing that darkest hour, unlike painter's servant, does not allow creatures to be any color but black; this matters in that you lose teysa's removal ability while it's out

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Tarnop posted:

Another slot taken in every deck with a generically good card, a boost to an already strong colour, and a way to hose decks that actually try to win. Just another day in the world of "designed for Commander"

Not empty quoting.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

LordSaturn posted:

worth knowing that darkest hour, unlike painter's servant, does not allow creatures to be any color but black; this matters in that you lose teysa's removal ability while it's out

You do, but you can combo it with an aristocrat and a sac outlet to go infinite.

portd
Nov 2, 2015

Magnetic North posted:

The deck looks good. I don't see too many clunkers in there.

If it's in the budget, you can free roll a second combo with Painter's Servant in the form of Grindstone. it only kills one opponent at a time, but you also don't need anything else to make it work except the mana to activate it Give players the experience of why Painter's Servant was banned!

Likerwise, if you can get one, Diabolic Intent could be fun, though it could end up being dead weight if you end up wiped.

As far as mana goes, I kinda want to see at least two more ramp artifacts. I see the curve is pretty low, but only 4 of them do anything if you get board wiped so you might stall out. I'd suggest Everflowing Chalice and Mind Stone, but that's really a matter of personal taste. As long as it costs 2, it's fine. As for cuts, it's hard to say. I'd say cut big Teysa, but that's obviously a pet card. I guess I don't love Revival Revenge but it's hardly bad.

At least you're playing enough lands. Still, Castle Ardenvale might be a fun add. With the number of basics it's semi-free, and can offer you that single creature in situations where you just need to sac something, anything. Or, if you want it to always be untapped and have additional up and down side, Westvale Abbey.

Speaking of lands, I'm a big proponent of Buried Ruin, especially if you have important pieces. I think you could float that in this deck to get your Altars back if need be. Players aren't stupid; they will absolutely break your toys if they can, and this gives you one more shot at them, or even Painter's Servant.

After that, all I can think about is sort of odd additions since it's all pretty tuned as it is. In that department: A funny trick would be to replace Anguished Unmaking with Generous Gift. It has the added benefit that you can occasionally use it in an emergency to give yourself a creature. Unless your meta really needs exile, of course. Similarly, one Reassembling Skeleton might also be a cute addition, if all else fails as a rude sort of backup plan. With that, a sacrifice outlet and Grave Pact you would make some enemies.

Thanks for the ideas!

Hard to decide on cuts myself, but if I were to cut anything I'd probably go with big Teysa and Revival Revenge too. Teysa is expensive. Removing her lets me stay on theme so its all good.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm sorry if I missed it but I haven't seen this guy discussed yet,

https://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-spoiler/kodama-of-the-east-tree/

Kodama of the East Tree
4GG

Reach

Whenever another permanent enters the battlefield under your control, if it wasn’t put onto the battlefield with this ability, you may put a permanent card with an equal or lesser converted mana cost from your hand onto the battlefield.

6/6

Kind of funny since it can combo of something like Avatar of Growth which could potentially give you a 6/6/ Trampler, a 2nd CMC 6 creature and 4 lands for 1GG.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Seems like a cool mana doubler for mono-G, but I’d be more interested in it as a card in the 99 in a reanimate shell.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm sorry if I missed it but I haven't seen this guy discussed yet,

https://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-spoiler/kodama-of-the-east-tree/

Kodama of the East Tree
4GG

Reach

Whenever another permanent enters the battlefield under your control, if it wasn’t put onto the battlefield with this ability, you may put a permanent card with an equal or lesser converted mana cost from your hand onto the battlefield.

6/6

Kind of funny since it can combo of something like Avatar of Growth which could potentially give you a 6/6/ Trampler, a 2nd CMC 6 creature and 4 lands for 1GG.

You certainly could do some stuff with it with blinks and what not. Or Sneak Attack. Kind of neat with that new Phyrexian Triniform, as well as evoke creatures.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
How does that work with mutate?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Heath posted:

How does that work with mutate?

Mutating a creature doesn't enter the battlefield and you can't 'put' a creature into a mutate stack.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Arcturas posted:

Seems like a cool mana doubler for mono-G, but I’d be more interested in it as a card in the 99 in a reanimate shell.

It has Partner, so it doesn't even necessarily have to be in the 99.

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

I'm so excited to make a Pirate tribal with Breeches and Malcolm. I'm going to buy the big box and not crack either of them in like 480 cards. It's going to rock rear end.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hey monocolor commanders just got a whole lot more viable!

:shepface:

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

No one is talking about this yet?

Glad I don't play cEDH.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I for one greatly enjoy the fact that the price of nearly every cedh deck just went up by 200 dollars.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tenasscity posted:

Glad I don't play cEDH.

Pretty much everything that needs to be said was stated in the main MTG thread.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I was hoping it was going to be banned but it seems the rules committee thinks it's a fine and dandy card

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Tenasscity posted:

Glad I don't play cEDH.

Healthy game. Yep. Totally not just going to the well for every last dime. A great time to be a magic player.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Thanks to proxies I will get to play it, but I won't have to pay for it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Tenasscity posted:

Glad I don't play cEDH.

lol mythic

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Those things are for sale in every Tibetan gift shop, what's the big deal

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Mitch has been vindicated by history.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Clawtopsy posted:

I was hoping it was going to be banned but it seems the rules committee thinks it's a fine and dandy card

They flew Sheldon out to HQ and he had a very heavy hand in helping with the development of the set so it’s highly unlikely that any of these cards are going to see a ban for a while. We know there won’t be any ban updates until January and honestly if anything from Commander Legends proves to be that problematic it’s not going anywhere till April at the absolute earliest.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

If I pull one I’m probably going to sell it and hope for a ban lol

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Clawtopsy posted:

If I pull one I’m probably going to sell it and hope for a ban lol

That's what I did with my showcase omnath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Dias posted:

Mitch has been vindicated by history.

He inadvertently set up a discord for all of Magic’s biggest Nazis, let’s not go crazy